ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Sofia

Thank you all for the wonderful reviews. I am indeed working on "Chapter 1" right now and hopefully it will be done by the end of this week.

Quote:
manga
You said the magic word ("Rayek") and here I am! ^_^

Rayek's name is a magic word, isn't it? *Is such a shameless Rayek-fangirl*

Quote:
manga
Wow. That's powerful! Poor Jarrah and Ingen. I tend to get wrapped up in my anger with them for how badly I feel they bungled raising Rayek (honestly, who lets an 11-year old move out?) but this... this shows me where Rayek's determination and strength of character comes from. It shows me that I can respect them after all. And while I do get ticked at them, never would I wish them such a sad ending.

Yes I had mixed feelings when I decided how I'd have infant-Rayek end up near enough to Blue Mountain for a Glider to find him. I have never liked the way Jarrah and Ingen raised their son either, but killing them off like this brought me no pleasure. It was all for the sake of the story and gave me the chance to take a second look at them and their motives in life.

Quote:
Aldar
Quote:
Sofia
As Jarrah lay dying she couldn’t help but reflect on how she’d come to be here, to end her life so far from the Sun Village.

:shock: What a way to start a story!

That sentence just came to me in the middle of the night and demanded to be written as the beginning of this fic.

Quote:
Aldar
Wow, I really, really like this! :D I actually feel like you and I have some of the same writing style, Sofia - if you don't mind me saying so. Smile

Of course I don't mind! I'm rather flattered actually (I've begun to read "Covert" and will review it as soon as I've finished the latest of the chapters. I really like it so far!)

Quote:
Aldar
Jarrah's courage appeals to me, and the way you portray her, she's just the type of female character that I adore. I can't say that I have anything to point my fingers at here; the course of the prologue is just right.

As I read it, I wouldn't have minded a little dialogue during the birth scene, though, but as soon as I was yanked back into the 'now' and Jarrah dying, I realized that it wasn't necessary.

Good job! Please keep it coming, 'cause I'll be sure to keep reading. :D

I'm glad you liked Jarrah as a character. Didn't quite know how I wanted to write her, but I'm satisfied with they way she ended up, so to speak.

I can say that the next chapter will be written in a slightly different style. The prologue was meant to seem rather rushed since it was, in essence, the flashbacks of a dying elf meant to introduce the story itself. Chapter 1 will have more dialogue and descriptions and will be set at a somewhat slower pace (though not so slow as to make you all fall asleep I hope *smile*Wink

Quote:
manga
To continue commenting now that I've ruminated on this a bit more... this has MASSIVE implications for the storyline. Rayek proves the existance of other elfin societies. He offers proof of life, of children, just by being. How will this affect the Gliders? Will they just assume that the death of his parents goes to prove how dangerous the Outside is and continue in their isolation? Or will their clear physical differences (seen either in Jarrah and Ingen's bodies or Rayek's) such as the very different body proportions (not only are the Wolfridrs and Sun Villagers significantly shorter but their ears are larger) and the darker skin, be too big a sign to ignore and wake up Voll to a determination to find these new elves?

This was exactly what grabbed my interest most when the story's plot began to take form and it is also the reason "Chapter 1" is proving hard to write. Firstly there is not much known about the Gliders and their lives before the Wolfriders came knocking on their mountain walls and secondly because their reactions to Rayek are proving quite complicated.

Not to mention that Winnowill is mixed up in all of this and I'm afraid that she's just as jaded (or rather "more than slightly off her rocks") as the Winnowill we got to know in the Original Quest. She's determent to have a say in how Rayek's raised (it's "her" mountain after all, right?) and educated. And then there's Two-Edge...

Well I'll get back to my writing now. My beta-reader is going to be without Internet for a while and I need her to at least have a look at my version of Aroree (who's giving me all kinds of trouble for some reason) before she disappears or I'll have to wait with posting "Chapter 1" for another week.

Once more, thank you for all the great reviews and I hope you'll like the next chapter as much as this one!