ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Nowth

Quote:
PCoquelin

[quote:7a2391c483="Nowth"]nor anything that looks like anime in any way, nor first person perspectives. *brr* It just doesn't give me a sense of, dunno, scenery... everything's coming at me from every direction and I'm glued to the middle of the world and I can't even tell how far away it is and, eep.

Why such a stress ? And if the "First person" approach IS somewhat stressing, you may try the "Near FPS", ie a camera ( even rolling around, at will, or with some predefined angles like in Comanche 3 )[/quote:7a2391c483]
I do get lost in it - I like having a bit of an overview, and not wonder what's in front of what or how far away it is, or where north is or if I've come this way or that... I have no idea how to draw a mental map of it, so to speak. If I had a car, I'd probably smash it into a wall within half an hour.

Ultima 8 got it right, The Sims got it right, Powermonger...

And I don't need or even want photorealism. I don't want another real world, I want a proudly unreal one :) I mean, really. Van Gogh didn't paint realistically either!
Quote:
Nowth

Which I suppose explains why my newest console is an Atari 7800 and my newest purchased game is Myst III. Hey, it had that chirpy little bunny creature, and wave sounds. (I dunno what else the game was about, never got anywhere)

I'd only advise being a little bit more curious...[/quote:7a2391c483]
It's just there're so many things to be curious about...

Quote:
Nowth

...like using a teleportation spell to shoplift - or a pickaxe - or a dog trained to fetch ;). Well, yes, the shop would have to actually exist as tangible game-world objects. Don't just give some crummy old menu, give me the thing itself and let the laws of in-game physics work it out.

Well, not considering the relevance of the examples you mentioned for an Elfquest game, I see your point,
but keep in mind a computer technicality that states that there can only be a LIMITED range of scenes, actions, and the like...[/quote:7a2391c483]
Of course, but if you can combine these, then there's a lot players can do - even unplanned things. Let's say you declare some objects to be heat sources, others to be liquids, and devise a rule that heat sources make liquids evaporate. The game doesn't have to know in advance then that there might be a cauldron over an open fire at some point, or a puddle of acid, or a magic potion.

A dog who picks up objects and brings them to you is quite coincidentally a potential thief.

And a basilisk whose touch turns people to stone can become a formidable weapon - you'll just have to make sure you're wearing gloves.

The reason these examples have nothing to do with Elfquest is that I'm thinking of other specific games...

Quote:
Nowth

What I've always been hiding from: multiplayer games. When I do play games (and that's almost never) it's to get AWAY from people :P... and somehow I've felt that the "snowglobe" appeal of a pristine artificial miniature universe is missing when there's too much OMGWTF and squishy messy human role-playing.

Reaallly ?[/quote:7a2391c483]
Yes, or almost...
[quote:7a2391c483] Seeing no pleasure in the very idea of sharing adventures with others ? What a pity...[/quote:7a2391c483]
I see pleasure in it, but not so much for me... I feel so watched... forced to constantly act out a role that is considered appropriate for both the game and for me... and that's exactly what I want to escape. No, in a game I want to do silly, bizarre, pointless, embarrassing, whimsical things, or just walk around aimlessly, experiment; I want to play somebody who I'd really like to be, at least for a while, and that'd make it too personal to share. Should I ever try, I'd first have to stop taking it seriously!