ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Nowth

Thaïs ~ my question is... is there any development in a MMO*** game, without fellow role-players? That is, is there a plot, a story going on, does the world change? Or does all of that depend on humans providing "plot energy"?

I used to be quite fascinated with the idea of multiplayer online games when I first read about the original MUD (Multi User Dungeon) in, I dunno, 1986-ish... but it was prohibitively expensive (international call) and I still haven't played that game (I'm assuming somebody's keeping it alive somewhere on the internet these days)... so it's not that I think multiplayer games are a bad idea...

I suppose what it comes down to for me is the creation of pretty little artificial realities, for their own sake - not as a platform for human-on-human interaction, but as something that has a life of its own, like an enchanted dollhouse...

In "Moonmist" for example - single-player - you're cast as a detective in a haunted Cornwall castle, and it amused me precisely because none of the other guests were humans - I was at the centre of the story, there were dinners, there was a ghost on the loose, but nobody real cared how if I looked like my character in real life or crud like that... yeah... I care too much what people think...

I think any Elfquest game would have to have hair blowing in the wind...