ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Thaïs

[quote:637664e502="Jade Owl"]I no longer find Winnowill scary for the same reason I no longer find Vader scary: I know everything about them. They're predictable. I might even go so far as to say overused. They are no longer effective as a villain because they no longer cause the breath to catch in your throat....
In case you couldn't tell, I'm a fan of the old Winnowill. The Winnowill that was crazy, unpredictable, yet had completely understandable motives : keeping herself and her people safe nd under her control.[/quote:637664e502]

Amen.

I miss the old Winnowill. I really do. I've been fascinated with her from the start, and I miss that fierce protective side of her, the part of her that was prepared to do anything to defend her people and achieve their goals. She's not much different from Cutter in that regard. I loved how multidimensional she was, and it saddens me that she’s become the default cardboard bad-guy that can be blamed anything a situation is less-than idyllic. She was the misguided idealist who's grip on sanity slowly ebbed away, not bad. If she just decided to be evil, she'd be a whole lot better at it if she had all her marbles...

Whenever I think of Winnowill, I'm reminded of one of my favorite passages of Shakespeare:

"Then must you speak
Of one that loved not wisely but too well;
Of one not easily jealous, but being wrought,
Perplex'd in the extreme; of one whose hand,
Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away
Richer than all his tribe."
-- Othello

Winnowill loved passionately, devoted herself to Voll and his cause, and was then abandoned emotionally once her people no longer needed her. She was not valued for herself, but as the Glider's Healer and Voll's lovemate. She became an icon rather than an individual, and that sort of pressure causes people to snap and lose perspective. When you take into account her thwarted healer's gifts, it's no wonder she began the slow spiral in to madness. If you had a festering wound, mental and/or physcial for hundreds of years, you'd go a bit batty too.

I think it's important to remember that she didn’t start out as the loveless one, she became that way, and the stagnation of Blue Mountain is at least partially to blame for the fracturing of her mind.