ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

krwordgazer

Thank you, Nowth. :) I agree that for Rayek, wiping people out of existence was relegated to an abstract. If it were a matter of Earth-style genocide-- of lining people up against the wall and shooting them, for instance-- he'd have been horrified. I still maintain that he was deluding himself, that he was focused on his vision being fulfilled and hadn't truly thought through the reality of what he was doing-- and that confronted with it (as you say), in the form of the Wolfriders' faces, he had to change his mind. I also submit that if Venka had had any doubt that he [i:e579684abb]would [/i:e579684abb]change his mind once his eyes had been opened, she would not have let him make the choice for himself. How could she have?

As she said in Dreamtime "Meeting you has resolved (my inner conflicts)." In other words, once she met him, she realized her father was not the monster she'd assumed he was.

As for Nightfall's dream in [i:e579684abb]Dreamtime[/i:e579684abb], in which everyone who threatens the Wolfriders is like a monster-- that was Nightfall's perspective, not necessarily that of the authors. Nightfall has always been ferociously protective. The characters as presented through the course of the series are much more three-dimensional than in Nightfall's dream.

Nomad-Human, it's not that genocide doesn't sicken me. Of course it does! But Rayek, when it came right down to it, [i:e579684abb]didn't [/i:e579684abb]commit genocide, once he truly understood that that was what he was contemplating.