ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

RichardPini

Quote:
joselle

...I am in no way an experienced artist when it comes to traditional mediums. I was, however forced to work a lot with gouache in college (damn you Bruce Claypool!) Every artist has their personal opinion on the matter of course, and I wouldn't say that mine is right, per se. But I can throw up a pretty convincing argument that gouache is THE most difficult of the traditional painting mediums.

Many artists have mastered it in ways that boggles my mind. Some swear by the medium. But I found it incredibly difficult to work with. You can't paint over it without having the bottom colors seep through, which means you can add color, but never truly correct. If you touch the dried paint you'll forever have a thumb print on it, and if you glare at the paint it seems to increase it's desire to thwart you.

Gouache, suffice it to say is Satan's paint.

Richard would no better for sure, but looking at the larger picture, I'd guess it was MOSTLY gouache which leaves me pretty damn speechless at the technique. Not a hint of muddiness anywhere and very, very crisp details. Stunning.

Joselle is correct about all the satanic qualities of gouache. :) But there have been times - and the cover art for Blood of Ten Chiefs #5 was one of them - when Wendy wanted exactly the look that gouache provides - that sort of dusty, earthy, animation-cel-flat look. The same is true of all the covers to the Warp Graphics/Father Tree editions of the color graphic novels.

But gouache was never her medium of first - or even 5th - choice. On the other hand, she was ecstatic to discover alkyds: all the blendability of oils, and the drying time of acrylics. Better living through chemistry!