ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

RichardPini

Quote:
Thitida-No-Chey

[quote:deb7ffdf3b="RichardPini"][quote:deb7ffdf3b="Thitida-No-Chey"]Darn it... Didn't meet the reserve...

The reserve thing bothers me... If I knew it and knew that I would never be able to make that amount, then I wouldn't be bidding on it... Grah!

Did you message the seller and ask what the reserve was? Nothing says you can't - and often the seller will reveal the reserve privately if he thinks you'll be a serious bidder.[/quote:deb7ffdf3b]

Admittedly, I didn't... Because I had a feeling there was a reason why it was not displayed... I'll do that next time[/quote:deb7ffdf3b]

Hidden reserves have been a part of auctions forever. The reserve, of course, is there so the seller doesn't have to part with the item if the bids don't meet his minimum selling price. The reserve is hidden, in my experience, because the seller wants bidders to hope they're getting close to it, and to keep bidding. It is a bit of a gamble on both parts.

But there's no "auction law" that says you can't ask. What's the worst that can happen? The seller says no, and then you're no worse off than you were before.