ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

MultiMEDEA

Quote:

Personally, I've always thought it kind of improbable that each elf has a perfect match out there. Rather, it seemed to make sense that recognition happens between two elves who are a pretty darned good match... and that the act of recognizing them binds them irrevocably. And because of that bond, they don't go out and recognize anyone else- even if one of them may someday stumble upon another elf who is also a pretty darned good match.

I think that's why, when two tribes meet up, you get recgnitions. Because the gene pool suddenly has a chance to diversify- and that's a good thing. So the two (or more) best candidates match up- and bam.

I mostly agree with that, lunakat. But, Joyleaf does imply that an elf can eventually Recognize more than one partner in their lifetime...

http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/HY/HY05/_Hidden%20Years%20-%205_page=1#_7#

If Bearclaw had never Recognized in the past,' what she said wouldn't make much sense...and none of the other Wolfriders called her on it. So, it seems like Recognition does its thing when two elves can make a genetically ideal (not necessarily perfect) offspring under the right timing and circumstances.