ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Jik_Tal

By "low elven" I wasn't meaning a different dialect, just a different means of...accent perhaps. For example, I visit my relatives in Texas and we all speak English. However, they say "y'all" instead of "all of you" or "everyone". Not a different language or even dialect, just...less refined perhaps. So, over time the Wolfriders are using, on occasion, the "deh" instead of "dah" which is more correct. This happens with all languages. In English we say "yeah" instead of "yes" on occasion. In French, the proper "oui" (wee) is sometimes pronounced as "way" which is basically the same as "yeah". So, I'm just laying this out there so readers aren't confused as to the different meanings of DEH and DAH. They mean exactly the same thing...just spoken differently.

Again, I have longer theories which precludes any need for high or low (we'll call this Proper vs. Colloquial or something) but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion first. This explanation was just the easier option, keeping things simple.

The longer version explains that DEH is a question of affirmation and DAH is the affirmative response.

EKI YA, DEH? (MY ROCKS, RIGHT/YES?)

DAH. (YES)

This, of course, is the same with NEH and NAH, but for the negation.

As you see, the rules get more complicated than if we just said "Treestump talks like the lumberjack he is."

So, everyone tell me what you think and I'll get it written up. It's just another page or two of explanations, not really a problem for me.

Thanks for all the help, guys. Happy