ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Leanan

I remember it well. I was 13 or 14 and really getting into the fantasy genre, reading anything I could get my hands on. Our family got ads from the bookstore in the mail, and I always read them, looking for more books to borrow from the library. One time they had put on sale the then-existing Finnish translations of ElfQuest, which was the equivalent of Fire and Flight, printed in five volumes. I headed for the library and borrowed those five volumes. And then I was sad, because I thought the story ended with Rayek riding into the desert alone, and I wanted more! I kept re-reading those five slim books, and started drawing fanart I was never going to show anyone. I had an obsessive crush on Skywise in those times already. For a time I was under the misunderstanding that Skywise and Moonshade were lifemates. (I think I based it on the fact that Skywise thinks at one point that he should ask Moonshade to make him a long sleeved shirt, and it didn't occur to me that this was simply because she is the tanner). Anyways, one day at the library I did a computer search for ElfQuest, and - from famine to feast! What is this 'Forbidden Grove'... I found the books that continued the story I had fallen in love with. They were in English, but that wasn't a problem for me. And here I am, almost 20 years later, still addicted.