ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Thornbrake

Tam said: Windkin and Teir: so Windkin is Teir's dad. It kind of...grew on me.... Windkin got the job done and was outta there...I get the impression that Kahvi treated him more like a sperm donor than anything, so with his need to find out what happened to Ahdri, I could see a potential cub leaving his mind. And the reason for Teir's abandonment is just perfectly Kahvi...he was a boy. It wasn't malicious, he just wasn't what she wanted...and the way she tells him that she's essentially stalked him with her spirit for so long has me guessing that she died shortly after she left him. I.... The revelation for Teir that Windkin is his sire (and Dewshine his grandmother) was really touching.
Yeah, this was like, WHOAH at first but then as it settled in, I'm kind of liking it. I've always thought Windkin and Teir resembled each other anyway. Both have high cheekbones, square jawlines, and upturned noises, as well as brown hair. I think you've nailed it about Kahvi's reason for leaving Teir. It's not that she is anti-male (which I'm sure some people are going to interpret it as), it's just that she wanted a girl. Simple as that. And given that she had some trusted tribesfolk who she could entrust the kid to, she was off on her next adventure. It always struck me that Go-Back kids were probably raised collectively anyway. But remember, Windkin adventured with Kahvi and Tyldak during the long sleep. It was on one of his many journeys and adventures away from the Sun Village. So it happened probably at least hundreds of years before Forevergreen and Ahdri's wounding.
Tam said: she was not only able to delay Recognition, but turn it completely off and deny it altogether. I feel like it really weakens Recognition's position as a biological imperative. If she could just decline, what kept Dewshine from doing the same when she Recognized Tyldak?
I had to re-read this a few times, but I don't think Ember turned it off completely. She called the inner strength that is in her, and her mother before her, to block the physical and emotional impact of Recognition, but it took the magic of Leetah and Mender combined (powered by the Palace) to actually break the biological imperative. Without that, I think Ember, like Leetah, would have eventually had to give in to the call of Recognition. The thing that really stood out to me here was how Ember and Teir are elves that have deliberately chosen not to have children. That's a first (which they even say in the story) and I think it's kind of a nice nod to the real world, where not everyone--particularly not every woman--feels the need to have kids. Also, Wendy and Richard have stated that they very deliberately chose not to have kids, so I think we're seeing another example of the story being autobiographical for them.