ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

lunakat

I get the same reaction. I loved Elfquest growing up. I picked it up when I was eight, and I read it straight through college. Just loved it. I read other comics as well, but aside from one other independent publication, I never really got as into them. I just decided to stay informed so I could talk to my geeky, comic-book-loving friends about what they liked. But I never, until I got to the forum, met another person who had read Elfquest and could talk about it with me. I went a little overboard- because I was so happy, after 22 pent up years, to be able to talk about Elfquest to other human beings. I actually remember the moment when I ran out of things to say... It was a few years into feverishly chatting with you guys... I logged on and realized, 'I have said everything I can possibly think of to say- our discussions seem to be repeating themselves at this point, so it's probably true for other people as well'... and I took a break. But I think it maybe took five years to get to that point? Five years of nonstop, online Elfquest discussion. I don't know why Elfquest touched me when other stories didn't. I don't know why I still love it just as much after all these years. I don't know why it's not more mainstream. Maybe it's the unusual mix of elements in it? Here's my best guess. It looks like it's for kids, but it tackles some very sophisticated themes. At the same time, it's not trying to be sophisticated. It does it in a way that is accessible to children, yet not written for children. It can also engage adults. But it's written with absolute sincerity. I think, maybe, a lot of people are embarrassed by sincerity? It also doesn't really fit a genre. It masquerades as a fantasy story. But it's not. It just has the trappings of fantasy. It's actually science fiction.. but, moreso, it's about identity and how complicated it can be to form our identities, about having a relationship with your past and incorporating it into your future, about overcoming fears and prejudices and what it means to love somebody. So it's really a story about humanity. And (forgive me, world readers) I think it's a very American story, in many ways... because it has a lot to do with the integration of different cultures, with settling new territories, with colonization, even... with enslavement.. with racial prejudice... with resolving identity conflicts... with coming to terms with your mixed background. Granted, those issues, individually, are universal- but collectively, they are very American themes. I don't know if Wendy intended for the story to come across that way... probably she didn't. But she is from the United States, and definitely incorporated all of that- if unconsciously. I also think it has a lot to do with displacement in terms of family. We can't keep our parents, or even our childen, forever. I see a lot about alternative families, adoption, letting go of the people we love so they can make their own choices in life, love vs ownership/control, and a search for an (elusive) mother/home. Timmain is the ultimate mother. But finding her, in some ways, means letting go of everything they have and have believed about themselves. Well... given all that, maybe people think Elfquest is weird because, to truly appreciate it, you have to think about it. Unless you just like pretty pictures- of which there are many.