ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Abodean Animal Life

Aldar

This is a list of - or guide to - the animals of Abode/World of Two Moons. I'm primarily interested in animals we don't find in our own fauna, but those of Abode that's new to us, but either way, this list depends on you guys helping out a little. Wink

Allo (Large, vicious saurian creature that usually hunts alone. Covered with horny scales and slightly reddish in color.) - Rahnee's time

Bagfrog (Abodean frog) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Bear - Searcer and the Sword

Beaver/Flat Tail (Found in the forests between Burning Waste and Frozen Mountains, seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest) - Original Quest

Black-Neck (Herd animal with black patches on its neck.) - Shards

Boar - Dreamtime

Branch-Horn (Similar to a deer) - Hidden Years/Shards

Cuphorn (Herd animal resembling a reindeer, often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years/Wild Hunt

Desert Pet Cat (Leetah had one in her hut in the Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Pet Dog (A playmate to the cubs in Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Lizard (Found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest.
At least two species exists, these are:

- Pet Lizard (Leetah had one):

- Wild Lizard

Desert Vulture (found in the Burning Waste) - Original Quest

Desert Wild Boar (Presumely a small type, found around Sorrow's End. Rayek is seen killing one, and it's probably a common prey.) - Original Quest

Ferret (Pretty much like Earth's ferrets.) At least two species exists, both in Iceholt, and these are:

- Ferret #1 - Kings of the Broken Wheel

- Ferret #2 - Kahvi
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Fin-back (Herbivor saurian that looks like the duck-beak dinosaurs - Hadrosaurs - with a fin on its back. It's found in the foggy forest where Adar and Nonna lived) - Original Quest

Fire-Jaw (Bug which bite's causes hallucinations) - Hidden Years

Fliptail - Wavedancers

Giant Hawks (Great birds that the Gliders ride, found at Blue Mountain, where they also nest.) - The Original Quest/Siege at Blue Mountain

Hen
- Blood of Ten Chiefs: Bearclaw's time.

Hop-Digger (Similar to Earth's groundhogs) - Hidden Years

Hummer (Small bird) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Hummer and Buckthorn story

Jackals (Coyote-like predators found around Sorrow's End. They run in packs.) - Hidden Years

Jack-Wolf (A cross-bread between wolves and jackals, these are the mounts of the Jack-Wolf Riders) - Original Quest to New Blood (at least)

Leatherwing (Abodean bat) - Original Quest

Long-toothed cat (Pretty much as the pre-historic Smilodon) - Wolfrider!

Mallard (Just the same as on Earth) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Eldolil story

Mammoth (Like pre-historic Earth's) - sometime shortly after the Palace arrived on Abode, it's seen in an Original Quest flashback.

Maraeva (Massive, wormlike sea monster, with green eyes, red skin, and fangs half the size of an elf. It has arms and webbed fingers.) - New Blood: Forevergreen

Moonhatcher (Waterbird, like a duck) - Dreamtime

Mouse - Hidden Years

No-humps (Small ponies found in the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste) - The Original Quest

Nut-Catcher (Squirrel-type of creatures, these pictures might show a male and female) - Kings of the Broken Wheel

Oinky-Skrewtail (Abodean pig) - Shards

Rat - Hidden Years

Ravvit (Abodean Rabbit found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest

Shagback (Abodean bison often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock. There are actually at least two species of Shagback. The ones near Howling Rock are a much smaller species than the Great Shagbacks found near the original holt, as seen in Full Circle. Actually, Cutter and Skywise kill one of these in The Forbidden Grove, too, during the part of their journey on pony-back.) - The Original Quest, Hidden Years, Wild Hunt and more

Sheep - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Two-Spear's time.

Shell-Back (Giant armadillo known as the prehistoric Glyptodon on Earth, it's seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Snake-Tail (A tree dwelling mammal, a cross between a raccoon and a ferret.) - Hidden Years

Snow-Bear (Pretty much like Earth's.) - Original Quest and beyond(?)

Spirit Maker (Poisonous spider) - Wolfrider!

Squirrel (One of these bit Cutter, causing him to go ill by the time he and Skywise first med Adar and Nonna) - Original Quest

Stag (Like our world's stags, they seem to live near the Frozen Mountains, and are sometimes used as mounts by the Go-Backs) - The whole Elfquest saga(?)

Stripehide (a cross between a zebra and a giraffe. Smaller than a zwoot, but bigger than no-humps. They live somewhere on the way to Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years

Stringtail (Scorpion, found in Sorrow's End) - Original Quest

Swordfeet (Large, bipedal reptiles, pretty much like the raptors - a dinosaur type - living on Earth 65 million years ago) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Freefoot's time

Tree-Gazer (giant sloths known as the prehistoric Megatherium on Earth, it's seen on Cutter's and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Treewee (Primate-looking tree-living animal found in the area around the Forbidden grove) - The Original Quest

Tuftcat (Cat species, Stubtail was one) - Hidden Years

Whitestripe (Abodean skunk) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Wolf (Pretty much like our world's, but here I think of those with elf blood.) - The whole Elfquest saga

Zwoot (Camel/horse crossover found in Sorrow's End) - The Original Quest

UNKNOWN RACES:
Winterleaf (A fox/mongoose crossover. Tanner thought Winterleaf was his wolf friend) - Blood of Ten Chiefs

Deer from the story where Redlance earned his name.

Cat who attacked Tyleet in Hidden Years.

Arfurido

And then there is Ravvits -- are they really rabbits? ;)

Aldar

I heard of them being mentioned, but I guessed it was a case of mis-spelling. I've found a couple of those in the manga versions. But until anyone can prove us wrong, Ravvits are added to the list :D

Arfurido

They have been mentioned several times. So it's not a spelling thing.

The question about the giant hawks is wether they are original Abode creatures or if they are made with elven magic. (Actually, that question goes for a lot of the animals on Abode I guess.)

Jeppe

Tsk tsk... You're forgetting elfblood-wolves :)

Aldar

No, I haven't forgotten them. I just didn't include them since they're practically the same as "our wolves." Indeed, they have elf-blood, but that's about all that differs.

MaxvonBek

Add No-Humps, tuftcats and something similar to a zebra that was found on the plains on Djunsland. Also moraevas (like a sea-serpent), giant snakes and long-toothed cats (at least those are what made up Madcoil!).
Theres something called a cuphorn in Hidden Years/Wild Hunt as well I think.

Aldar

Quote:
Max von Bek

Add No-Humps...

Yes, yes, of course! That's the ponies, right? Though they're also animals similar to the ones here on Earth...

Quote:
Max von Bek

...tuftcats...

Is that the animal Leetah has in her hut in the Sun Village?

Quote:
Max von Bek

...and something similar to a zebra that was found on the plains on Djunsland. Also moraevas (like a sea-serpent), giant snakes and long-toothed cats (at least those are what made up Madcoil!).
Theres something called a cuphorn in Hidden Years/Wild Hunt as well I think.

I haven't read any of the stories these are shown in, so I would really like some pictures... :D

MaxvonBek

Unfortunately I have no idea how to put images up on here, but the tuftcat appears in HY 18 (his name is Stubtail!), and the zebra-thing is in HY 17 just before it gets munched!
The moraeva was in NB 17 (it nearly ends up eating Dart's bunch before they get to the Forevergreen). The giant snake and long-toothed cat were in Original EQ 4 and were the components that formed the monster Madcoil.
As mentioned, the cuphorns were in the later HY issues, and so were a thing like a buffalo called shagbacks. There were also some hallucination-inducing insects in HY 18. Also there are near-wolves (these are knocking around all over the place!).

Aldar

Oh, but I don't have Hidden Years... Well, I'll just have to wait until I do get them :)

Arfurido

What about the big beast trying to shake them from the tree in HY#17? Was that a magic creation? I can't remember :?

MaxvonBek

Heh, that was one of Winnie's "toys"!

Aldar

Good ol' Winnie-pooh, she's created a whole new fauna, hasn't she? Her shapechanged creatures from pre-Original Quest to Shards are too many to count!

MaxvonBek

It makes me wonder if any of them were capable of breeding. I mean, what we were subjected to during EQ generally weren't around long enough to determine, but its a chilling thought!

Aldar

Yes, and I think some of them might have been able to breed. I mean, Tyldak was shapechanged, and he managed to sire Windkin. I guess it depends some on how far sweet Winnie went with her changing.

(I have a recurring scene in my head, where she puts some of this, some of that, into a blender and mixes it... Grin)

Oh, and I updated the list on top :D

Lee

Quote:
Jeppe

Tsk tsk... You're forgetting elfblood-wolves :)

Quote:
Aldar

No, I haven't forgotten them. I just didn't include them since they're practically the same as "our wolves." Indeed, they have elf-blood, but that's about all that differs.

Um...except for the *possibly* relevant fact that they're bigger, more intelligent and live a lot longer than "normal" wolves?! :?

Aldar

Quote:
Lee

[quote:229fc81e3f="Jeppe"]Tsk tsk... You're forgetting elfblood-wolves :)

Quote:
Aldar

Um...except for the *possibly* relevant fact that they're bigger, more intelligent and live a lot longer than "normal" wolves?! :?[/quote:229fc81e3f]

Yes, yes, that's true, and I've already added them to the list at the top. Also, you might want to check out the discussion in the "Wolves vs. Elves" thread in the "Elfquest: The Original Quest" forum... Wink

Jeppe

Quote:
Aldar

2) Giant Hawks (Great birds that the Gliders ride, found at Blue Mountain?Do we know if that's where their nests is?) - The Original Quest.

Yup, that's where their nests are.

Aldar

Thank you, Jeppe :D

Forti-an-twa

Don't forget that dinosaut thingie in the mist... Always wondered about that creepy thing... Could it be a magiccreation like madcoil? Or was is just a giant lizard like a comodo? Just sort of upright?

Aldar

I haven't forgotten it. In the opening post here, I asked if anyone knew what it was. I've always wondered about that one too.

LivietheLurker

Personally I always thought that the "dinosaur" is supposed to be a log transformed by the mist.

Forti-an-twa

A hallucination? It's possible..

Another thing, when cutter and skywise is riding through the plains in issue what? 8? 9? There's a lot of animals in the background, one image with 2 large furry aperodents the size of a bear, greatly resembles some of the prehuman mammals on the globe way back in history. Must have been 20 million years back or so... Always wondered what that was supposed to mean..

MaxvonBek

There are the "Sword-feet" as well. They were covered in BoTC, and maybe Skywise saw one in the swamp, or a relation to them. Also theres the Snowbeast! Wink

Aldar

[quote:9b9b2c5d3b="Forti-an-twa"]Another thing, when cutter and skywise is riding through the plains in issue what? 8? 9? There's a lot of animals in the background, one image with 2 large furry aperodents the size of a bear, greatly resembles some of the prehuman mammals on the globe way back in history. Must have been 20 million years back or so... Always wondered what that was supposed to mean..[/quote:9b9b2c5d3b]

Yes, that's true! I've overlooked those! Shame on me... :oops:. From what I can see, they are giant prehistoric sloths known as Megatherium. On Earth, they lived about 5 - 2 million years ago, in South America.

Other animals on that picture is the Glyptodon, a giant armadillo that lived around the same time and the same place as Megatherium.

The last one, I don't know what is.

MaxvonBek

Just remembered: from the Northlands there are Stags and Snow-Bears.

Kotori

Here's some information from the Wolfrider's Guide:

[b:26f68353ba]Allo:[/b:26f68353ba] a large, vicious saurian creature that usually hunts alone. Covered with horny scales and slightly reddish in color.

[b:26f68353ba]Black-Neck Buck:[/b:26f68353ba] herd animal with black patches on its neck.

[b:26f68353ba]Cuphorn:[/b:26f68353ba] herd animal resembling a reindeer, often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.

[b:26f68353ba]Maraeva:[/b:26f68353ba] a massive, wormlike sea monster, with green eyes, red skin, and fangs half the size of an elf. It has arms and webbed fingers.

[b:26f68353ba]Ravvit:[/b:26f68353ba] Abodean term for a rabbit-like creature.

[b:26f68353ba]Shagback:[/b:26f68353ba] similar to a bison. Often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.

[b:26f68353ba]Snake-Tail:[/b:26f68353ba] a tree dwelling mammal, a cross between a raccoon and a ferret.

[b:26f68353ba]Stripehide:[/b:26f68353ba] a cross between a zebra an giraffe. Smaller than a zwoot, but bigger than no-humps. [i:26f68353ba](I suppose these are the zebras you were talking about?)[/i:26f68353ba]

[b:26f68353ba]Swordfeet:[/b:26f68353ba] large, bipedal reptiles.

Aldar

Thanksalot, Kotori! That helps :D

(By the way, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I [b:755449488c]LOVE[/b:755449488c] your avatar!)

Kotori

Thanks Wink Just glad I could help. :)

About time and place for some of those creatures:
I don't know whether the black-neck buck is still around or not(anyone know??), but I know Timmorn hunted one once.

Ember's tribe first encountered the stripehide on their trek to Howling Rock (HY17).

Arthis

In Sorrow's End and in the surrounding area you also found

- little cat-like creatures that can be domesticated (Leetah had one)
- little cameleo-like creatures that can be domesticated (Leetah had one)
- stringtails
- turtles
- vulture-like birds of prey (the one waiting for Redlance to die while crossing the burning waste)
- little wild boar-like creatures (the ones Rayek used to hunt)
- snakes
- jackals
- jackwolf

krwordgazer

Does anyone know anything about the jackals of Sorrow's End? For some reason they are not even listed in the Wolfrider's Guide. They look more like coyotes than jackals, but I wish I knew more about their habits (for a fanfic I'm writing). All that is really clear is that they run in packs. :(

Arthis

Quote:
Forti-an-twa

Don't forget that dinosaut thingie in the mist... Always wondered about that creepy thing... Could it be a magiccreation like madcoil? Or was is just a giant lizard like a comodo? Just sort of upright?

and
Quote:
Aldar

I haven't forgotten it. In the opening post here, I asked if anyone knew what it was. I've always wondered about that one too.

According to the RPG book published by Chaosium, that creature is called a Fin-Back. It's an herbivor saurian that looks like the duck-beak dinosaurs (Hadrosaur) with a fin on its back.

Quote:
Aldar

[quote:c34e35fa91="Forti-an-twa"]Another thing, when cutter and skywise is riding through the plains in issue what? 8? 9? There's a lot of animals in the background, one image with 2 large furry aperodents the size of a bear, greatly resembles some of the prehuman mammals on the globe way back in history. Must have been 20 million years back or so... Always wondered what that was supposed to mean..

Yes, that's true! I've overlooked those! Shame on me... :oops:. From what I can see, they are giant prehistoric sloths known as Megatherium. On Earth, they lived about 5 - 2 million years ago, in South America.

Other animals on that picture is the Glyptodon, a giant armadillo that lived around the same time and the same place as Megatherium.

The last one, I don't know what is.[/quote:c34e35fa91]The last one (on the left) seems to be a beaver (maybe called Flat-Tail?).

According to the RPG book (again), the Glyptodon-like creature is called a Shell-Back, a peacefull solitarian mammal herbivor ; and the Megatherium is called a Tree-Grazer.

Arthis

1/ 2/ 3/
4/ 5/
6/ 7/ 8/
9/
10/ 11/
12/ 13/ 14/
15/ 16/ 17/
18/[/URL] 19/
20/

1/Swordfoot 2/ Beaver 3/Blackneck
4/desert wild Boar 5/desert pet-cat
6/Fin-Back 7/desert pet-lizard 8/desert wild lizard
9/Maraeva
10/No-Hump 11/Ravvit 12/Shagback
13/Shell-Back 14/Stringtail 15/Stripehide
16/Tree-Grazer 17/Treewee 18/Tuftcat
19/desert Vulture 20/Zwoot

LivietheLurker

Great list Arthis! Only, I think no. 1 is a Swordfoot.

Kotori

Just checked my Blood of Ten Chiefs book, Livie is right, it is a Swordfoot.
But great list Arthis :D

Aldar

Surprised Surprised Surprised

The amount of work you've done, Arthis... Wow! That's a lot of help, really! I'll try and add it all to my list as soon as possible, maybe even later today. I'm just so busy right now... :oops:

Arthis

My apologize for the Allo/Swordfoot confusion. I will correct it right now!
More pics of other animals will come later. :)

Aldar

Alright, I've edited my first post now, and included all the pictures Arthis so kindly provided :D. Again, thanks alot!

ChristinaRaibert0

Cool idea! Ever thought of developing it as a webpage, the abodean bestiary? Wink

Forti-an-twa

Good idea, that would be kinda handy you know..

Aldar

Quote:
Max von Bek

It makes me wonder if any of them were capable of breeding. I mean, what we were subjected to during EQ generally weren't around long enough to determine, but its a chilling thought!

I don't know if Winnowill's shapechanged creatures could breed. The giant hawks could, but it's never been said (I think) whether or not they were magically altered or "natural."

Tyldak could also breed, but his shapechange was limited to just the exterior, and I don't know how far Winnie could go before altering too much.

Timmain could breed even as a wolf, but then again, she's a High One, so... I don't know.

Anyone care to respond my rambling...?

LivietheLurker

There are good arguments either way, I think. After all, there were a lot of shapechanged at Howling Rock. Winnowill might have shapechanged them all, but presuming she made them all in one go that would mean that they survived a 10 000 year periode. I suspect she would get bored with making more every time their numbers started to diminish. In that way it makes more sense that they could breed, so that Winnowill could consentrate on other things, like wrecking ships. Wink

Of course, if Winnowill altered them so that they were immortal or very longlived, they wouldn't have to breed. They'd just have to be sufficiently hard to kill, so that they wouldn't die very often.

Arthis

hooooo :( most of my pics can't be seen anymore! :(

Mirr

*nods to Arthis* :(

But that Tuftcat looked very interesting and cute!
Where was that one spotted?

Arthis

It's Pike and Sust's Tuftcat Stubtail, from Hidden Years and Wild Hunt.
There's a good story about him in EQII#11 Wild Hunt A Betwixt Tale:Sust tries making his tuft-cat Stubtail into his wolf-friend. He realizes it won't work and accepts that some just don't get a wolf-friend at first.

StrangeWays

Quote:
Aldar

[quote:8350da4474="Max von Bek"]It makes me wonder if any of them were capable of breeding. I mean, what we were subjected to during EQ generally weren't around long enough to determine, but its a chilling thought!

I don't know if Winnowill's shapechanged creatures could breed. The giant hawks could, but it's never been said (I think) whether or not they were magically altered or "natural."

Tyldak could also breed, but his shapechange was limited to just the exterior, and I don't know how far Winnie could go before altering too much.

Timmain could breed even as a wolf, but then again, she's a High One, so... I don't know.

Anyone care to respond my rambling...?[/quote:8350da4474]

I think Tyldak proves that as long as Winnie
doesn't change the breedingorgans or dna the
shapechanged craetures can breed with their
own kind.
The change however is often to big for their
own kind to recognise them as one of their own.
A shapechanged creature just wouldn't be accepted.
And if/when they were accepted back as what they
originally were, they woudn't get a chance to breed.
Wild animald don't mate with a deformed one!
The hawks were not changed, they were enlarged.
Probably very short after each other, so for
breeding nothing changed exept for the dna for size.
And that change was made in all of them.
So I think if they get the chance they can breed and
they will have off-spring that doesn't look like the
shapechanged parent but as he/she looked originally
if the dna wasn't changed, if the dna was changed
procreation with their own kind is impossible, exept
with another who's changed in the same way.
The dna isn't always changed in shapechanging.
Only when off-spring is desired.
Otherwise it's only cosmetic change.
For procreation among elves, Winnie could procreate
with a troll!
Maybe they can procreate with everything about
their size, not to big or small for mating?
Bye,
S.W.

Nowth

I vaguely remember herd animals called "click"-something. Clickdeer, I think? Name probably has something to do with the sound their hooves make. Blood of Ten Chiefs?

Arthis

I've fixed all the broken links to the pics. More to come soon...

StrangeWays

Very nice Arthis! Thank you! :)

Aldar

Arthis, you are simply the best! :D

And thanks for your input, Strange Ways. I think the subject has been discussed in another thread as well, but it's always nice with opinions. By the way, the hawks were really magically enlarged?

Arthis

:oops:

Quote:
Aldar

By the way, the hawks were really magically enlarged?

As far as I know, nothing as been said about that, at least in the comics (maybe in the 3rd graphic novel, but I don't have it)

MaxvonBek

Theres no mention of that - they looked to be a naturally occuring species - like the Rocs of our world. :)

Aldar

Okay. I was just wondering because:

Quote:
Strange Ways

The hawks were not changed, they were enlarged. Probably very short after each other, so for breeding nothing changed exept for the dna for size. And that change was made in all of them. So I think if they get the chance they can breed and they will have off-spring that doesn't look like the shapechanged parent but as he/she looked originally if the dna wasn't changed, if the dna was changed
procreation with their own kind is impossible, exept with another who's changed in the same way.

Arthis

Aldar I've just notice your sig. :D That's from Alias! Season 2, last ep.
I love that show!!!

OK on topic...

hum...

We should ask Strange Ways if it's only speculation, of if he has access to some Winnowill X-files... :roll:
Two things are sure:
1/ Giant Hawks can breed (new younlings in HY#4, when Kahvi, Tyldak, Yun and Chot try to steal the Little Palace)
2/ Giant Hawks can't breed with normal Hawks for an obvious reason: they don't match in size...

scarlettdoll

Quote:
Arthis

2/ Giant Hawks can't breed with normal Hawks for an obvious reason: they don't match in size...

I wouldn't be so sure about that! I've seen a cocker spaniel trying to get it on with a great dane! Grin And a golden retriever trying to get it on with a human! Surprised

StrangeWays

Quote:
Arthis

We should ask Strange Ways if it's only speculation, of if he has access to some Winnowill X-files...

O-oh blown my cover!!!

Arthis

@ Scarlett: I didn't know you were browsing through such sites! Surprised

but back to the size difference, I think Normal vs giant hawk is more like poddle vs elephant

Kotori

Just noticed something: In the story about Moonshade and Ahnshen in "New Blood", Strongbow calls Ahnshen rabbit. Slip from the author, or.....?

krwordgazer

A discussion of "rabbit" vs. "ravvit" can be found here:

http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1672&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

StrangeWays

It was ment as an if Winnie has changed them because
we don't know, do we?

Aldar

Quote:
Strange Ways

It was ment as an if Winnie has changed them because we don't know, do we?

I see. Wow, one little comment can spark the wildest discussion, huh? And this isn't even that bad! (I keep thinking about the discussion about how Tyldak goes to the toilet... Surprised Good times.)

And thanks for noticing my sig, Arthis! Great line, isn't it? Especially when you know what follows... And there's no way that you love "Alias" more than I do, so BACK OFF!!! :roll: Wink Grin

Windrider

Quote:
Kotori

Here's some information from the Wolfrider's Guide:

Shagback: similar to a bison. Often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.

New since the Guide was published: there are at least two species of Shagback. The ones near Howling Rock are a much smaller species than the Great Shagbacks found near the original holt, as seen in Full Circle. Actually, Cutter and Skywise kill one of these in The Forbidden Grove, too, during the part of their journey on pony-back.

Aldar

Thanks, Windrider! :D I'll add the much appreciated information to the list!

Aldar

What happened to this thread? Surprised Come on, people, help me resurrect it! Grin

I just read "The Broken Circle", and in that story, Timmain talks about when they left their home planet. There's a scene where they lead animals into what I take is the Palace, but we have never seen any animals like these on the World of Two Moons. But if they were in the Palace when it crashed, at least some would have survived, right? Any theories about what happened to them? :?:

Kotori

The pre-trolls and the flitrins(preservers) were the only other creatures that came from the home planet of the High Ones.

When Timmain speaks through Suntop in the Original Quest, she says:
As humble reminders of the beings who had but one shape and a limited life span, we took small, ground-digging apes and winged insects - the last animals left on our world - and we bonded into many groups."

Aldar

But-but-but...! :? Argh! :x It doesn't say so in "The Broken Circle"! *grumbles* Stupid, lying Timmain... Or is it not canon, perhaps? Why are they lying about the poor animals? Why? WHY!? *pant, pant*

Kotori

It's here that we have to remember the official rules of ElfQuest:

1) There are no inconsistencies
2) If an inconsistency is discovered, refer to Rule 1
Wink

I'd personally go with how it's told in the Original Quest.

Aldar

I don't like those rules *pouts* I'd like to go with the other one, because of the extra animals (:roll:), but I haven't seen any proof of them existing elsewhere, so I guess we have to rely on OQ. But Timmain should really get her story straight... Wink

MaxvonBek

Answer to that question - that wasn't the Palace they were being loaded into, it was another Shell, although it does contradict Timmain saying that there was nothing else left but Flitrins and Burrowers! :?

Aldar

It was another? Oh, that explains it, I guess. And I actually thought about it, I'm a little confused about the High Ones' travelling :oops:. Did they leave two planets, or just that one?

cactus

Well. While Timmain was alive they left only one planet. Their home planet. But on their way, they visited several planets/worlds. So you can say they left them too, after they had visited. As to the other animals, wasn't Timmains shell the last to leave? Maybe the other shells brought other animals, and all that was left for their group was the pre -trolls and the pre- preservers. :roll:

Aldar

Like, the left-overs? Grin

cactus

Exactly Grin

Aldar

But... Alright, this is what I found in the timeline:

"Elfquest #32 (flashback): The early High Ones became too many for their planet. Some found other worlds to dwell on. Descendants of those returned to the birthplace. Eventually, these high ones formed groups and went to seek out those on other worlds. They brought trolls and preservers along. Timmain's group discovered the World of Two Moons."

Can anyone see why I am confused?

Leanan

Quote:
Aldar

Good ol' Winnie-pooh,

Winnie-pooh? Tsk, tsk, Aldar, what happened to respect? Grin

Anyway, I remeber a frame in 'Forbidden Grove' where Cutter sits on the windowsill watching the children playing (Wing, Newstar, Ember and Suntop) and the cubs have a little grey dog-like pet that doesn't look like a jackal cub - I've always wondered about that since I thought only humans had 'near-wolves'.

Arthis

Quote:
Leanan

Anyway, I remeber a frame in 'Forbidden Grove' where Cutter sits on the windowsill watching the children playing (Wing, Newstar, Ember and Suntop) and the cubs have a little grey dog-like pet that doesn't look like a jackal cub - I've always wondered about that since I thought only humans had 'near-wolves'.

Isn't that a wolf-cub?

Leanan

it doesn't look like any wolf-cub I ever saw in EQ

Kotori

It looks like the one in the lower right corner of this picture:

It seems more like a dog than a wolf to me, with that long narrow tail and slim built.

Leanan

yeah, it's the same creature... not like Choplicker at all, for example... and seems to me it has a collar! wish I had a scan of that pic in Forbidden grove...

Kitt

I think it's a dog, especially since Leetah has a cat :o

Arthis

So we must add desert pet dog to the list

Aldar

Done!

Leanan

Here's a color pic of the same dog (I think) in case you want it for your list, Aldar:

LivietheLurker

Perhaps it's some sort of Abodean desert fox?

Aldar

That makes more sense, Livie. I'm more with that one, actually.

And thanks, Leanan! I've added it to the first post :D

Arthis

Well the ears could be of a fox, but the color or the hair and the... "non-flufyness" of it seems odd for a desert animal...

cactus

In the first pic it looks like it's wagging it's tail. That's more dog like then something a fox would do.. But then again, it could just be general motion......

Aldar

Well, I still think it's more of a desert fox-like creature. The colors seem a little odd, yes, but there has been color mistakes in EQ before. The wagging might not seem right, either, but it's still possible. After all, this is another universe than ours. And the "non-fluffyness" isn't that unheard of.

Oh, and I added a picture of a Long-tooth Cat in the first post.

Kathleen

About, what, ten or so generations in is it, when domesticated foxes display doglike traits?

Windrider would know.

StrangeWays

I think those are two different dogs.
Look at the head of those animals,
the nose and how it goes over into
the forehaed of the dogs.
What do you think?

LivietheLurker

I'm actually more inclined to think it's because the first "fox" has it's ears laid back. Also, we view them from different angles. This could explain any large differences, which, to be honest, I don't see.

cactus

There is also the animal young Tanner believe is his wolf friend. Winterleaf, the snake hunter. Do we know what kind of animal that is?

Then there is the stripetail from BoTC. The one that killed the wife of the man Mantricker scared:

And this bird. Don't know what kind of bird it is. Some sort of duck?

And the tree climbing thing from KoBW.

Kathleen

It's a mallard. The wild ones tend to be somewhat thinner than the others. Nice ducks though, but domesticated ones tend toward obesity.

Prism

Winterleaf looks to be fox of some kind. And that tree climbing critter looks to be a squirrell Abodean style.

Leanan

Winterleaf didn't behave like a fox though, or have you heard of a fox whose speciality is killing snakes?

MaxvonBek

Good old Winterleaf! He's certainly an Abodean fox/mongoose hybrid-type creature. Just like a Zwoot is a camel/horse.

cactus

He can also klimb trees. Thats more cat like.

MaxvonBek

It does make me wonder how much of the fauna of Abode is a product of the High Ones' magic gone funny (like the Darkpool with Madcoil, although not as hideous!)?

krwordgazer

Actually, to me the really weird thing is that so much of the fauna/flora is identical to Earth's. I would expect more things like zwoots/treewees, not less.

MaxvonBek

Well, theres the Moraevas! Brr, nasty things! Swordfeet aren't like Earth creatures - I think that, especially early on in EQ, the fauna is supposed to correspond to a lot of the more ancient (and extinct) species on Earth, but by the present, they've evolved into something a bit more modern (a horse for example was probably bred up from Zwoot/No-hump crosses).

NEXT PAGE