ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Shenshen

Silberschweif

This thread for our wonderful midwife Shenshen :) Hope some of you will scann a few pictures of her and will put them here.

Tifa

I went crazy when I saw that my old Shenshen admiration thread was gone!!! Surprised (even after only 2 days!)
So I am really really happy to see that we have some more Shenshen fans over here! Thanks Silber! :D

I just LOVE Shenshen!
If you ask me, she is one of the most underrated characters of all ElfQuest. Guess she's just always been in the shadow of her big sister. But I'm hoping to see some bigger role for Shenshen in the future, which values her for who she really is! :)

Yay Shenshen!!! :D

joyleaf1

yes,yes...she is so sweet and playful I realy love seeing shenshen when i can, she is to me just as cool as leetah and mabie even more so for her talents dont come from magic but out of hard work and learning....she is very awsome and i love shenshen dearly!!! ill have to see if i cant find a few realy cool pics of her for u.
she rocks!

Tifa

Shenshen avies I found in some of the galleries here:

My own gallery

(The third and sixth ones are already reserved)

PC's gallery

(these are all reserved already...)

Nowth's gallery

Kitt's gallery
(reserved to me, hee hee! ^^ )

Kitt

I don't think the story could have done without her, honestly! She seems like a small character, but I think she's rather intergral! :) *huggles Shenshen!*

crescent1325

i love her bubbly personality. Also, even though she was forever in the shadow of her older sister, she found a way to make her own light shine. and i admire that about her.

manga

Here's a (small!) version of the background I made of Shen-shen from Joselle's Fanart thread. Foxeye is actually the colorist of this one; Joselle didn't have a lot of time so she posted the line art and let everyone play with it.

LivietheLurker

I always liked Shenshen, but my true love for her really started when she was telling her dream in Dreamtime. It was the first time I realized how much she must have been in her sister's shadow, no matter how unintentionally. And I'm still hoping that "Shine were you love!"-comment in Dreamtime doesn't mean her outing in the Forevergreen. I want to see Shenshen as the main character of a story!

Elyon

LivietheLurker

And I always giggle when I see the few panels before that gasp: Shenshen and three or four guys are asleep in a sleeping pit - and she's still the one to wake up first! You go, girl! Grin

Tifa

Here's the full version of the picture Manga posted as well (thanks Manga! ^^ ). Joselle actually gave me permission to post it here! Yay!
(check out her fanart thread as well for more of her gorgeous art! Wink )

crescent1325

that is too cute!

Tifa

She was just sooo cheeky during the time Leetah was fighting against her recognition with Cutter.... *giggles*
I think I'm gonna read those first few comics again and pay some extra attention to that... :D

Tifa

Nienna did this nice pic of Shenshen and Leetah:
[img:0a273640e6]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Nienna1980/sisters.jpg[/img:0a273640e6]

innie

[quote:86142d3b98="Livie the Lurker"]I always liked Shenshen, but my true love for her really started when she was telling her dream in Dreamtime. It was the first time I realized how much she must have been in her sister's shadow, no matter how unintentionally. And I'm still hoping that "Shine were you love!"-comment in Dreamtime doesn't mean her outing in the Forevergreen. I want to see Shenshen as the main character of a story![/quote:86142d3b98]

Yeah, I started to really love her after that dreamtime part of her too. BUt what was her outing in the Forevergreen? I haven't read the series, so I have no clue how the characters evolved.

valkerie

Ohhh a Cool a Shenshen thread, Tifa told me about this thread and asked me to post My Mershenshen Picture here So here it is :)

Tifa

Cooooool! :D
Thanks for posting it here! :D
Shenshen as a mermaid, makes me wonder.... won't all the hair go into her face all the time? :mrgreen:

valkerie

Quote:
Tifa

Cooooool! :D
Thanks for posting it here! :D
Shenshen as a mermaid, makes me wonder.... won't all the hair go into her face all the time? :mrgreen:

Youre welcome :)
Yep It probably would but its not in her face in the picture and thats what counts XD

joyleaf1

your just makeing with all the beautiful mer elfs...wow so very lovely...great work on all of them :D :love:

valkerie

Quote:
joyleaf

your just makeing with all the beautiful mer elfs...wow so very lovely...great work on all of them :D :love:

*huggles* thankyou :love:

Tifa

Read and rejoice with me!!! :D :D :D

Quote:
ElfMom

Q - Hi! Before my question, I'd just like to say what a terrific idea I think this is, especially for those of us who never got to send letters because of the time it took to send letters to the US from Europe, those who didn't discover Elfquest until they were adults and so on. Finally an oppotunity for us!

Now for the question. Shenshen has long been a favourite of mine, and I was very intrigued by her dream in "Dreamtime". I've since wondered, does the message "Shine where you love" refer to her stint in the Forevergreen, is it just in general or will there be a "Shen-quest"?

A - I really love it when fans pick up on subtle things that could be interpreted in different ways. We, too, think Shenshen is far more than "Leetah's little sister." While most of the other Sun Folk are becoming deeply absorbed in the ways of the Palace, Shenshen has retained her spunk and mischievous humor. Even as a background character, she just doesn't seem the quiet, contemplative type, does she?

All I can tell you right now is that there's definitely something in store for her...a big change (something you probably wouldn't ever expect!) closely related to her dream. Just when this will happen, though, must remain cloaked in mystery.

Keep guessing!

Love to all our European friends,

Elfmom

What "big change" would this be? Something we'd never expect... hm!!! I can't wait!!!!! *is totally excited*

(by the way.... can anyone tell me what Shenshen dreamed? I never got my hands on that story....... )

Silberschweif

Wonderful news :)

But now I 'm so curious about her future story.

Nowth

Shenshen's dream, Tifa, concerned her playing second fiddle to her glorious sister Leetah. "What will make me shine brighter than Leetah... even just once?" she asks of Savah, who leads her underground into her cellar. Cellar becomes cave, and Savah -- turns into Old Maggoty. Shenshen is instructed to pick roots and mushrooms, which she does not realise has to do with herbalism (i.e. doing what Leetah does, but without magic). Etc. etc., and then Leetah lies naked among the rubble, and she has to save her! But Leetah, too, transforms -- into a heavily pregnant Tyleet. "Shine--where you love!" she says, and reaches for her with a delicate, five-fingered hand...

joselle

ooohh....cryptic.

Tifa

Surprised Oooww.... That DOES sound very intriguing.....

manga

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Hm. Shen-shen dreams of a heavily pregnant five-finger, eh? (Not entirely but...) And we have Shuna, all grown up and about ready (we hope) to marry Bee. No such thing as Recognition for her, nor birth control either. Maybe Shen-shen will be able to help Shuna where Leetah is not for some reason? And that will help guide her to where she can shine? (Since she doesn't seem to think much of her herbalism just yet.)

Fourleafclover

I just like saying Mer-Shen.

Mershen...

Mershen.... Grin

twinklebug

Maybe she could become a midwife for a human tribe. Since they have a lot more babies, she would have a lot more opportunities to "shine where she loves".

Starmist

So Shensen loves babies? Midwifery? I'm just trying to figure it out, maybe I'm just dense( :oops: Wink ), but does anyone know what/who Shensen loves?

Kitt

She loves serving her people and being of some use to them :) I think that's what she loves Wink ....any ideas?

Packless1

Hello every1,

well... Wink

i.m.o. *fur-fighting* seems to be one of her favorite activities ... :D :oops:

Foxeye

Aye, midwifery was my first guess, given that it was said by a pregnant Tyleet.

What if she makes a discovery in regard to recognition? Or...something to do with human children/childbirth?

Suzene

[quote:d0fb14f16e="twinklebug"]Maybe she could become a midwife for a human tribe. Since they have a lot more babies, she would have a lot more opportunities to "shine where she loves".[/quote:d0fb14f16e]

And I think it's pretty heavily inferred that ShenShen is a skilled healer even without magic: midwifery, hedge healing from Old Maggoty, and I'm sure she picked up a lot of stuff from Toorah just because she was the one who would have needed to learn, where Leetah was born with her abilities.

Just...interesting.

Suzene

Shadikka

Simply put: Yay for Shenshen! :D

Lady_Door

Well, duh... Leetah can't have the market cornered on healing. Shenshen needed something to do too.

IMO, I think she has a latent healing ability that is only active when an elf is being birthed. She can't heal, but she can help safely speed a birth through.

In other words, a healer with a specific limited ability. Whereas Leetah doesn't really want anything to do with childbirth. And if you think of it, having two who are able to catch makes sense. Leetah does it because it is an inate part of her healing ability, Shenshen because it is a latent healing power for her.

Now just imagine Shenshen also being able to heal like Leetah. Boyoboy.

And don't forget - in the first few issues, Shenshen wasn't as thin as she is now. She was supposed to be very heavy, almost troll heavy, for an elf.

Kitt

[color=green:ae52a41a69]Oh High Ones! Let us never again speak of troll-heavy Shenshen :([/color:ae52a41a69]

Foxeye

You must mean the early concept art, lady door. In the first few issues she was actually slimmer than she is now.

Windwalker

I always saw ShenShen as being a little on the chubby side. A bit plump to balance out all the top-heavy ladies with 22 inch waists.

Gazelle

I love Shenshen the way she is.

Kitt

...as opposed to the way she was:

:P

Minouche

In my book (the hard back) I have almost the same pic, but it's in colors and she has no wrinkle whatsoever. In mine she looks more like a plump teen than a mid fifties grouch, the way she does in yours. Where is it from?

cactus

It's from one of the early layouts from the Elfquest Gatherum :D .
(Check out the last page in the "requested pictures" thread in "all the many colors" for more.)

Kitt

LOL!! Yeah, this wasn't what was in my book, either :P This was a concept Shenshen Wink

Gazelle

@muriel, can you show us?

Minouche

nope. I don't have a scanner at this time. sorry.

Gazelle

Awwww, that's ok though. :D

Kitt

It's the same one you have in your book (if you have it) Zelle Wink I'll try and scan it, though :P

Tifa

[quote:6e5b4e85dd="Kitt"][color=green:6e5b4e85dd]...as opposed to the way she was:[/color:6e5b4e85dd]

[img:6e5b4e85dd]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Curare50/UGLY.jpg[/img:6e5b4e85dd]

:P[/quote:6e5b4e85dd]

Surprised Surprised Surprised

....... Oh, my! Grin

Packless1

Indeed... she looks really a bit 'troll-ish' here... ;-)

well... perhaps Wendy was still practicing drawing Sun-Folk...? ;-)
...or she was in a hurry...? ;-)
...or Shenshen forgot her make-Up...? ;-)
I also like Shenshen better the way she is today...! :-D

Markus (a.k.a. Packless1)

Tifa

[quote:4b6f196d7d="Packless1"]
...or Shenshen forgot her make-Up...? ;-)
[/quote:4b6f196d7d]
Grin
The side of Shenshen we never saw before...... :P

Nightsea

I think Shenshen is a very round elf in her face, but
otherwise not more heavy than the rest. Maybe a
bit shorter and voluptously-edged in general, without
being zaftig.

Just an opinion...I'm not advocating a thin-only view
of lovely or anything insideous like that.

*Smiles*
--Nightsea

Nightsea

My latest image of Leetah's twin
(click for bigger version):

:)
--NS

Minouche

But Shenshen isn't Leetah's twin, is she? I've always seen her presented as her much younger sister.

KirthelastGo-Back

Quote:
muriel

But Shenshen isn't Leetah's twin, is she? I've always seen her presented as her much younger sister.

That is the case, according to the Big Elfquest Gatherum. That volume has Shenshen as being about 300 years younger than Leetah - at least before the 10,000-year time warp. So the "younger" sister is now ahead in "years lived," but to most appearances is still treated as the younger one - and seems also to think of herself that way still.

Nightsea

They aren't twins...I meant it figuratively.
Same red hair, same gold adornments...I was just
being "poetic".

Nevermind,
--Nightsea

wildfire

My take on a Shenshen from the Forevergreen era. Might've missed, because I started out wanting to draw Leetah, but it wouldn't work out that way
[url]http://ihhk.deviantart.com/art/Shenshen-114656893[/url]

Embala

Pretty - and an interesting composition, Wildfire. Forevergreen warrior Shenshen - graceful, strong, protective - sword and shield waking reminiscences of Dreamtime Venka!

Just (re?)discovered your Shenshen pictures, Nightsea ... and enjoyed :D

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Easter EggQuest 2014 reserved for Nibblet found

wildfire

[quote:695ead60ab="Embala"]Pretty - and an interesting composition, Wildfire. Forevergreen warrior Shenshen - graceful, strong, protective - sword and shield waking reminiscences of [i:695ead60ab]Dreamtime Venka![/i:695ead60ab]
[/quote:695ead60ab]
aHA! I knew I saw a character like that somewhere. I just couldn't find it xD. Thanks![/i]

2passions

I always thought Shenshen was pretty, though i have to say...I think Leetah is prettier....*hides* But I never liked Leetah more then Shenshen.
Shenshen can be sow playful, I like that.
As for her being Chubby? She not heavy.I think she just has a little nauthy, playful, childly face.. like Pike, he also has these round cheeks...

Grayshot

I cannot say what inspired me to do this, but I started piecing together one of the characters after tracing their face from a single plate. I only had ish 4 to work from, and I was probably only trying to put together some artwork for my walls.

As the image began to grow and complete, I checked for details like jewelry, lip form, and such. I never seemed to see the whole image - just parts of it. I kept at it until I saw that all of the details were just as they should be.

And then I looked at the whole image.

I have never been the same since I saw Shenshen from top to toe. I had no other image of her in such detail, nor with her standing so coquettishly.

I have no idea what ever became of that drawing, but I remember the feeling every time I see her. Still hopeless, still lost, still blinded by her sweet loveliness. Still blissfully content to sit in the dreamberry patch and think of her.

Grayshot

It has been nearly a year since I posted last to this forum. It is sad, I think, that ElfQuest has gone so silent on the original characters. Perhaps it is just me - I am so much an arch-conservative that I focus on what has been almost more than what is.

Too many dreamberries, I guess...

Minouchette

Shenshen is endearing but her character is a bit in limbo right now. Even Shuna has more up-front time than her. That may be the reason why so little is said on the forum about her. In my case, I'm waiting for the Final Quest to see how the various original characters develop or fade into the woodwork.

Embala

Quote:

I think Shenshen is a very round elf in her face, but otherwise not more heavy than the rest. Maybe a bit shorter and voluptously-edged in general, without
being zaftig.

Just an opinion...I'm not advocating a thin-only view of lovely or anything insideous like that.

*Smiles*
--Nightsea

*pout* "Shenshen of the first hour" is not showing Unhappy Will have to look up this midwife somewhen later ...

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

Yanclae

These are photos of the ancient Tamil, who dwelt in relative harmony with the "Shin"ghal tribe on the Island of Ceylon, Sri Lanka.

So, I wonder if "Shen Shen" was in some part inspired from the legends of the Dutch then British but always indigo-and-beyond very intriguing peoples. Some reasons are

- the similarity of armband

- the similar name that the Shinghal have to Shen Shen

- maybe more but I do not know enough about the culture of Tamil or Shinghal

- the culture of the Sun Folk is also obscure for myself

Furthermore, it is interesting to note that the views of the Shinghal on nudity culturally are more similar to the elves of the womb-Sun village.

Note: I do not own copyrights for these. They are owned by a man named p. de silva: http://www.imagesofceylon.com

Yanclae

Interesting note: the armbands are female Tamil, but her head-piece is derived from the Shinghal men culturally, as seen in this photo. This photo of a Shjnghal should leave no doubt that Shen Shen is a character who has inherited her mystique from the mystical, distant and isolated Sri island of Ceylon.

travelbug

I like Shenshen and hope she gets an adventure of her own soon :)

LivietheLurker

Anyone who has seen the cover of Final Quest #7 will start wondering whether Shenshen's time to shine isn't coming soon. I won't post the picture here in case no one wants to be "spoiled" but it's on: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56302

Scroll down if interested. :-O

travelbug

I'm happy she's made it to the front page :D
Can't remember that's happened before.

Shenshen looks so calm and happy at the same time, I hope this is the start of her adventure.
Leetha look more worried, I think.
And I love the way they are pictured together, close together. You notice very well the similarities and differences in their aperances.

RedheadEmber

She's on the front page of that KoBW issue where the Palace comes to Sorrow's End.

travelbug

At least its two front pages then :)

She's in a group picture in one of the forevergreen issues as well, but I mean spotlight front pages :)

LivietheLurker

Hmmm. Sunstream's comment here got me thinking: elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/DISC/_ElfQuest - The Discovery_page=1#_35#
:

Ember looks like she might be carrying the trauma she suffered at Angrif Djuns treatment into the tribe, reverting in a way to Bearclaw's hatred of humans.

Shenshen, though, has a certain affinity with humans, I believe she even asked Moonshade for clothes in the human style . On the cover of #7, Leetah looks worried, while Shenshen gives off a "it'll be fine!" sort of vibe. Perhaps Shenshen will relocate to Embers tribe, so she can "pull her ear" if needed? :-O