ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Ekuar, steady as a rock

manga

Ekuar is such an amazing elf. He's been through so much but remains cheerful and loving. It would have been so easy for him to be terrified out of his mind when he was captured by Picknose's trolls but instead he was calm, he was kind to Trinket to the point where she called him "Papa Ekuar" and he even helped them escape!

There is such a gentleness and greatness of heart about him, how can you not love him?

PCoquelin

"Poor Osek, poor Mekda..."

"But don't pity me :
I'm still alive, I'm still free !"

emerald

He's ok and all...but he really always creeped me out...sorry. :?

Elsa

I love Ekuar, he's got such a great sense of humour... And without him, Rayek wouldn't have half the fans he does.

Also, it's nice to see him getting some action now and then! He looked so sweet with that Go-Back woman.

Kitt

That is true about Rayek. Ekuar taught him pity and love on a different level than the one he shared with Leetah...he taught him to love not for himself, but for the sake of another. ...a selfless devotion.

emerald

Well one of my favorite parts is when they go to the sun village in...I think... book 7 and the maidens want Rayek to stay in their hut with them and one of them say "Ekuar too!" I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing! :roflmao:

Kitt

*gigglin'* What's just as funny in the same scene, Rayek says no and the maidens say "Awww" but, if you follow the bubble, Ekuar says "Aww" too! :P

emerald

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I've never noticed that before! :rofl: That's too great! :roflmao:

dewshine_lover_1

silly girls..everywhere i go..i see you two teamed up and jokin..you guys are great hahaha

Kitt

Why don't you join us, D.L....you can post in orange! ...yellow would be too hard to read, I'm afraid :P

emerald

I would post in green...but somebody... Evil Grin ...kidding...it is my favorite color though and emerald is my birthstone...and my eyes are green... :P It's ok though, Blue is my second favorite! Wink

dewshine_lover_1

crapola..blue is my first favorite..seems were all stealing each others fave colors hahahaha Orange it will be..how do i change it permanently? or can i?

Kitt

Quote:
emerald

I would post in green...but somebody... Evil Grin

*cracks knuckles and makes sure the cat-gals are on stand-by* :twisted: Anyway, D.L. as far as I know there's no way to make the change permanent, you have to change the color every time you post. Wink *gives Emerald one more evil glance* :twisted:

emerald

I don't think you can...just keep posting in it...it's only a tiny pain! Kinda like Kitt... Wink

dewshine_lover_1

Hahahahaha ok sure thing kitt..*rubs kitts nuckles and pets kitties*

Kitt

Quote:
emerald

I don't think you can...just keep posting in it...it's only a tiny pain! Kinda like Kitt... Wink

...Oh, it's butt-stompin' time, now! :x

emerald

Aww...I don't have any cute things to fight you with.
Settle for a hug instead?
*HUGS*
:P

dewshine_lover_1

Doh! Girls..now behave your selves! hahaha Actually go for it..ill sit here and watch lol

Kitt

Quote:
emerald

Aww...I don't have any cute things to fight you with.
Settle for a hug instead?
*HUGS*
:P

Not this time! You heard Dewy! :twisted: Let's get ready to RUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLEEE!!!

dewshine_lover_1

oopsies..see what i did now haha :oops: :roll:

emerald

...I was never good at fighting...

dewshine_lover_1

Bawwhahahaha i love your smilies..how come i dont have any of those cool ones? like the one with the hearts..the one with the jaw dropping?

Kitt

:rofl: HAHAHAHA!!! *can't fight due to riotous laughter* :roflmao:

dewshine_lover_1

no one answered my question Unhappy oh well..hehehe but did u notice that we are badly spamming..sorry eukar

Kitt

You have to find them on the net. Try "SMILIE" search on google. You'll come up with a lot of stuff Wink and...as far as the SPAM...yeah, I apologize too :oops: Perhaps we should continue our shananagins in the spam thread :oops:

emerald

You can find it here.

When you go to use one Right click on the image, go to properties, highlight the url and paste it in a post. Then Highlight the url again (the one in the post) and hit Img. Then it'll show up!
Now

Kitt

...it'll "sow" up? :P

emerald

:twisted:

dewshine_lover_1

hmmm work yet? yay! i got it!

Kitt

Quote:
dewshine_lover_1

thanks

dewshine_lover_1

yay eukar is great!

Anarane

The one thing about Ekuar, besides that his name has the same letters as Aurek's name, look at it, and you'll see. ^_^ Is that I see him as a father figure, its a shame that he never had a child, he would of been a very good father, and loving.

He is also very compassionate, and wise. He went through total hell, and yet he came out with a kind word, and full of love still, that speaks alot about a person. When I saw him I just wanted to go into that comic, and give him lots of hugs ^_^.

krwordgazer

Ekuar's the best! I like the way he has developed in Rogue's Curse. Having Rayek need him to be on his toes has brought Ekuar out of that vagueness he used to have. He has risen to the challenge and is often the only thing standing between Brownskin and insanity.

I love his sense of humor, too!

Willowspring

I think deep in my heart, even Winnie thinks that he;s a great elf... But thats me...
He was my fav elf because he has this cheerfullness that surpresses even mind, and he's gone through so much... Torture, seeing his friend's dead or frozen to death... And besides Savah, Timmain and Aurek, he's the oldest elf out there... Which surprises so many of us...
I'm glad that he had such an important role in Rayek's life. he, in my opinion, helped Rayek Grow up.

Trollbabe

Anarane wrote: "I see (Ekuar) as a father figure, its a shame that he never had a child, he would of been a very good father, and loving."

The impression I got of the Go-Back's lodge was that there was a general nursery for all kids, and that Go-Backs bred freely with each other. They didn't seem like the nuclear family type. Also, Ekuar had three chapters in his life by the time he met the Wolfriders; freedom, then captivity, then freedom. Can it be established that Ekuar didn't have any children ever?

I think Osek and Mekda would have interesting stories too.

manga

[quote:ee7acd85cd="Trollbabe"]Also, Ekuar had three chapters in his life by the time he met the Wolfriders; freedom, then captivity, then freedom. Can it be established that Ekuar didn't have any children ever?

I think Osek and Mekda would have interesting stories too.[/quote:ee7acd85cd]

I don't think so. Ekuar said that they were children when they were taken by the trolls. To me this implies that they had not Recognized or raised children. I think if they'd left families behind to find the Palace it would have been mentioned. Once captured they never saw another elf and were so mistreated and malnourised that I doubt they could have Recognized-- and again, that's a pretty major even to have been left out of the story for so long. I don't no if you've read "Love and Loss" from the second EQ magazine but it tells Ekuar, Mekda and Osek's story in pretty deep detail and there are no children.

Here's my tribute to Ekuar: [url]http://darkhuntress.com/rayek/RMV/wind.html[/url]

Nowth

Quote:
manga

Ekuar is such an amazing elf. He's been through so much but remains cheerful and loving. It would have been so easy for him to be terrified out of his mind when he was captured by Picknose's trolls but instead he was calm, he was kind to Trinket to the point where she called him "Papa Ekuar" and he even helped them escape!

There is such a gentleness and greatness of heart about him, how can you not love him?

From his biography:

"He bears no ill will toward trolls; possibly he has voluntarily erased those memories from his mind."

Now that's something I hadn't considered!

PCoquelin

It reminds me of his words that begun :
"If ever we sought revenge against Two-Edge..."
and that motivated my letter at the time ( hey, I was 17 or so... ).

Minouche

He reminds me of my grand father. everybody thought him "vague", but he was quite sharp when needed, he just had lost interest in trivial things and concentrated his energy and his brains on the hapiness of his grandkids.

Brace

The scene of Mekda crawling through the night never fails to get to me. What a terrible and long way that thing in the bag had to travel. Alone. Unimaginable.

Oh, and Ekuar is great indeed. So much pain and dark memories, so little hate or spite... none, actually. I could never be like him. Quite the ideal.

The brave one.

Trollbabe

Never read much about the three rock-shaping amigos, but it does occur to me, why would one breeding pool of Elves produce three rock-shaping children at about the same time? Were they supposed to create Mount Rushmore or Chartres Cathedral?

innie

I think it happened at an irregular basis those days. The elves couldn't control magic anymore, and maybe the breeding pool decided that if there were three rockshapers, that at least one of them would succeed and survive. They were in great demand back then (the trolls will agree with that), sadly enough they were all captured at the same time.

Tavie

What I find fascinating about Ekuar is that he seems to possess some sort of innate strength that allowed him to escape complete madness even while being the captive of murderous, abusive trolls for howevermany untold centuries.

Anyone else growing up underground, in captivity, under constant torment and abuse, would probably be as mad as... hey... Two-Edge. But somehow Ekuar was able to survive. Maybe because of his comrades or his memories of the world outside. But you have to wonder how he held onto the will to live all those centuries. That blind faith, the fact that he never lost his capacity to love, makes him one of the most beautiful characters in the Elfquest universe.

I (heart) Ekuar.

Arthis

[quote:473d33a7ec="Nowth"]From his biography:

"He bears no ill will toward trolls; possibly he has voluntarily erased those memories from his mind."

Now that's something I hadn't considered![/quote:473d33a7ec]

Erasing memories? Doesn't that remind you of someone else? Surprised

blackash

Ekuar reminds me of something that I read once. A man who surived the nazi camps. Said that "the only thing in life that one can choose, is how one chooses to feel about the things that happen to them."

Ekuar chooses to feel the best about things that happen to him. So his life is richer that if he choose to feel the worse of things instead.

Windrider

Dear sweet Ekuar, I love him! Here he is, in a detail from the 2007 fan Art Calendar. It seems like a reflection of his character that I got him down on paper with far less fuss than any other character in this piece.

He and Suntoucher are so much fun to draw, with their lined, character-filled faces. They are beautiful in a totally different way than most of the elves.

Treefox

He's such a rich character! You portrayed him very well.

Rayekjr

[quote:288df5429a]Ekuar, steady as a rock[/quote:288df5429a]
Ekuar, steady as a rock.
Strong and proud, like his heart
Loving and kind, from the start
Ekuar and Rayek, may they never part.

krwordgazer

Nice poem, Rayekjr! :D

Here's an Ekuar story:

The Rockshapers

Tavie

Darnit, I coulda SWORN I posted a response to this story the other night but I see it never showed up.

I just wanted to say that I signed on here especially to read it last night after reading a very scary scene in the book I was reading - it was right before bed and I wanted the last thing I read to be lighter.

At first I was afraid it was going to be dark, but it ended up hitting just the right notes. Thanks for this story, Ekuar is one of my especially favorite characters.

krwordgazer

Heh, heh. You posted your response in the original thread where the story is, Tavie. Click on the link again, and scroll down, for my reply. :D

Rayekjr

Great story Krwordgazer. :D

Tavie

Quote:
krwordgazer

Heh, heh. You posted your response in the original thread where the story is, Tavie. Click on the link again, and scroll down, for my reply. :D

Grin

Thank goodness, I thought I was losing my marbles!

Trollbabe

Some of my Troll friends were wondering if Ekuar could shape ice or water into columns or tunnels. One speculates that he could part waters like Moses, while another suggests he could create amazing ice sculptures. Great for parties, or in conjunction with fireworks.

Personally I have yet to meet a Troll who advocated using rock-shapers for our own advancement. We aren't all that suspicious, but we believe that Guttlekraw brought a kind of bad luck upon himself by using rock-shaping magic for evil purposes. Using magic is tricky and perhaps dangerous, but to use it for evil is to seal one's own doom. Even Trolls who argue it was okay to enslave Elves think the use of magic is what did in Guttlekraw.

Trollbabe

Why doesn't Ekuar have any hair? Was it due to malnuturition or disease? Is it due to the natural aging process?

Treefox

Considering that all of the immortal elves seem to keep their hair even after thousands of years, I suppose it was due to malnutrition. Poor Ekuar. But still as he seems to be content with his own physique, I guess I shouldn't start crying here. Wink

krwordgazer

The story of how Two-Edge became friends with Ekuar:

Thaw

spiritofthewater

from comics interview #6, aug 83

Trollbabe

Did anybody miss Ekuar during the "Kings of the Broken Wheel" Palace disappearance?

Cutter missed his family, including Skywise. Auroree missed Skywise. Picknose missed Trinket. Venka could be said to have missed Rayek. But did anyone say, "Gee, I miss old Ekuar!"

Startear

They should. But I think it was more a fleeting thing, sadly.

Embala

I can imagine that the Sunvillage Elders missed him - especially Savah. She probably enjoyed to have found an "age mate" - no matter how short his visit was. Suntoucher too - both are old and wise, but with rather different experiances ... could have made for interesting discussions.

And the Baker Wink ... Ekuar's friendly nature can win friends fast - I so see the Baker missing him suddenly!

Startear

Ah, I forgot all about the Sun Villagers. My mind was centered around the Wolfriders. I think you are right. The baker and Ekuar, and Ekuar and Suntoucher should make beautiful friends.

Embala

And though it is a strange thought - Two-Egde! The both were "chess partners". I remember a discussion that there developed an unusual friendship.

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Startear

O.O

Yes.

Yanclae

Tyrants seek Ekuar not because of his rock-shaping abilities, but because of his cheerfulness! All good troll kings spoil on his fortunes without Ekuar around. The driving demeanor of the cave almost necessitates the bad mood inside trolls. But with Ekuar around, the dingiest dens seem light and misty.

Maybe the troll-lords know it best. The secret of Ekuar's personality is cheerfulness. It is the kind of cheerfulness that comes from total acceptance. Ekuar knows, no matter how dark the condition he is in, he will find some light, and he cherishes what light he has.

When/where you are cheerful, you know that there is always a solution to the problem. Ekuar is here to remind me that I know I can, somehow.

Trollbabe

Reading the elfquest.com "Timeline #2", as well as the Digital EQ Original Quest, I am a little confused as to where Ekuar was, between the time he was captured and the time Rayek freed him. Was he a slave to Guttlekraw, to Greymung, or to each at different times? Had he been a captive of Greymung before "Fire and Flight", how could Bearclaw and Cutter spend so much time in the Troll caverns without noticing anything peculiar? When seventeen Elves fled from the Holt to the Tunnel of Golden light, even if none possessed "magic feeling", wouldn't they have noticed tunnels shaped by something other than pick and shovel?

Embala

Quote:
Reading the elfquest.com "Timeline #2", as well as the Digital EQ Original Quest, I am a little confused as to where Ekuar was, between the time he was captured and the time Rayek freed him. Was he a slave to Guttlekraw, to Greymung, or to each at different times?

Ekuar, Osek and Mekda were captured by Trolls who lived in the Frozen Mountains under the reign of King Guttlekraw. When there was an Ice Age and times became harder the Trolls decides to part.

Guttlekraw and part of the Trolls stayed in the Frozen Mountains, together with Mekda.

Young Greymung and the bigger part of the Troll folk moved to warmer lands in the south, taking Osek and Ekuar with them. They ended up in the region that became the Fathertree Holt.

When the glaciers were melting, GuttleKraw wanted the southern Trolls return to the north. King Greymung refused and there was the first Troll War. In this mayhem Osek managed to escape through the Tunnel of Golden Light - and ended in his tomb in the desert cliff. Guttlekraw was beaten and forced back into the nothern tunnels that were sealed.

Shortly after Rayek must have found and rescued Ekuar, who was left to starve as a punishment.

Some years later GuttleKraw's Trolls returned - much more successfull - and took the surviving Holt Trolls back to the Frozen Mountains as slaves. These Ice Trolls still had Mekda - broken in body and mind, but "functional".

Embala

Quote:
Had he been a captive of Greymung before "Fire and Flight", how could Bearclaw and Cutter spend so much time in the Troll caverns without noticing anything peculiar?

Was it Greymung or Picknose who quoted that "Bearclaw wasn't allowed to run around free" in the tunnels?

Ekuar was in the outer tunnels, where work was to do. Bearclaw was tolerated in the entrance hall - sort of a visitor's area, maybe in the well guarded throne hall to see King Greymung.

And Cutter's time underground - well, you know best that the Trolls are smarter than to put their two elf slaves together in the same tunnel system, Trollbabe. Wink

Quote:
When seventeen Elves fled from the Holt to the Tunnel of Golden light, even if none possessed "magic feeling", wouldn't they have noticed tunnels shaped by something other than pick and shovel?

What do elves know about mining? How far are they interested in this underground structures at all? And those 17 were concerned about their lost home, worried for the future and hoping to find a "green growing place" outside - not much attention for wall structures. In case they noticed a difference between shaped and carved tunnels and caves at all they would most probably think the first were worked very carefully - and admire the skills of the Trolls. Stoneshaping did not seem very common among Wolfriders anyway.

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

Trollbabe

I guess, even if he hadn't descended into temporary insanity, he did not possess the ability to send.

Olygoth

I had always figured that Ekuar was kept fairly far away from the Elves, and since Rock Shapers never existed amongst the Wolfriders they may no have been able to recognize the shaping of the stones for what it was. At any rate, its a miracle the poor fellow's brains hadn't been reduced to mush like Mekda's by the time Rayek stumbled across him.

Embala

Made as an illustration for Tenderfoot's Medival tale in the grab-bag of November 2009 - Sire Ekuar, a monk, with little Redlance

Sire Ekuar

Minouche

very cool

Trollbabe

I'm assuming Ekuar is still wandering around with Rayek?

Raven_Emrys

So I have a question that has been plaguing me for ages, and maybe someone here can help me... So here goes..

Why doesn't Ekuar have Leetah shape a new arm, finger, and leg, from his own body - just like she does with Sunstream when she shapes his body for water in the Prologue of 'The Final Quest'?

In 'Kings Of The Broken Wheel' #8, pg 20, there is the line where Leetah ponders as she is changing Skywise's blood...

"There is nothing I do it seems, that Winnowill has not already done... Nothing!"

Yet I don't remember her ever transforming the actual physical form of any other character throughout the entire series up to this point, like Winnowill did for Tyldak. So I am assuming by her comment that she can do it - but why hasn't she for Ekuar? Just curious... maybe I've missed something somewhere...

PCoquelin

Even healing powers have limits.

Elwing

My theory is that a healer can't make new matter out of nothing. She or he can only move around resources, and as Ekuar has lost a substantial part of his body and is very frail there may simply not be enough of him to rebuild what he has lost.

lunakat

@Raven.. you'll also notice that Leetah said "There is nothing I do it seems, that Winnowill has not already done..." not ""There is nothing that Winnowill has done that I don't also do." Her statement wasn't that she and Winnie can do all the same things- it was that Winnowil has done everything she tries to do first.

Tam

I asked in the other thread about this (might be a good candidate for merging)...where do all those spines come from on Sunstream? I've always ascribed to the idea that fleshshaping can't grow anything new, but I can't figure out where all those spines come from...

lunakat

I don't think there should be any reason flesh shaping couldn't create something new. Heck- kimo grew himself a tail! But I do think there is probably a difference in successfully creating something as complicated as a hand vs making spines or stretching, modifying or extending what's already there. It seems like it should basically be the same process- but at different levels of difficulty. Like the difference between building a shed and building a two story home.

lunakat

Leetah also didn't modify Sunstream or fix the broken one on her own- she had a whole team of helpers.

Tam

Well, I've always thought of it like some other shaping magics. Watershaping doesn't create water, and rockshaping doesn't create rock. But treeshaping DOES encourage growth, so maybe fleshshaping is the same. I definitely agree on the skill level and the difference between manipulating what's there and creating something new.

You're right, Leetah did have help with Sunstream and Reef...both from other healers and the aid of the Palace. If Ekuar were to even think about becoming "whole" again, I think he would need the same level of support, at the very least. (I don't think he would ever decide to go through it, though.)

lunakat

Yes, because plant cells and animal cells can reproduce. And molecules can shift or be shifted.