ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The Silent Archer: Strongbow

crescent1325

I love his Lifemate, I love him!

His silent Brooding makes him oh so sexy!
His devotion to family makes him so tender.
His resolve to stand fast against the winds of change make him Couragous!

So sorry...this is the only pic i could find that would work!**Sniff**

joyleaf1

hehehee, I have been waiteing for you to start this thred agean my dear, im going to enjoy doing this for you.

some strongbow art by wendy pini...*swoons over him*

^^^^Yummmmie^^^^^

this picture^^ is from the Blue journey to sarrows end special ed. leather book signed.

yess...i am a strongbow and moonshade lover....they rock!!!!

crescent1325

thankies joyleaf...but i didnt start the other one...did i?? at least i dont think i did...lol. But i couldnt let him go with out thread! thanks for the pics as always!

**huggles joyleaf**
**joins in the swooning**

joyleaf1

oh my bad, well im just glad someone did...teheheheeee....heres a few more for you

I just loved seeing strongbow smile and do as his lovely chitter ask's...

YUMMMY!!!! strongbows story.

Willowspring

that picture of chitter hanging from his shoulders upside down... *laughs* I think its funny... the best expression of Strongbows i love...

PCoquelin

Elyon

*sig* Just looove his character

Leanan

LOL that first chitter pic is hysteric! What a cub! :roflmao:

Strongbow deserved one like her! :twisted:

emerald

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He's so sexy too! Tastes just like candy! Wink

crescent1325

with joselles permission

and...

arent they cuuuuuuuuuute???

Blackbird

Oh my god, the Wendy portrait was beautiful!! Love Strongbow :D

ReyesLord

Strongbow is like one of the very few characters I can say that I love for more than just because he is the hottest elf ever to be drawn by Wendy. *oogles joyleaf's firelight pic of him*

Being a fairly traditional minded person, I love how stalwart and convicted he is, the Father Tree with its root buried deep in the earth. The one who questions the decisions of his Chief and stands up for what he believes in, even if he's the only voice. Such strength is admirable and totally drew me to him.

Plus, he's such a great family man, totally dedicated to his lifemate and children, though he doesn't always agree with their decisions.

crescent1325

crap that was me....forgot to log in.. :oops: silly me!

krwordgazer

That's from "Dreamtime," Crescent. The Skot-Krim/Strongbow-Moonshade story. It's a colored version, so it must be from overseas. (feels jealous of those who can get colored version)

Reyes Lord has a point. How many would still like Strongbow if he wasn't devastatingly handsome? If he was just an ordinary-looking elf (meaning good-looking in a general sort of way, but not necessarily making the jaw go slack Wink )

I love Strongbow for the torrent of emotions he hides under that hard shell. For the inward tenderness and vulnerability that few except his family get to see. And for the way he hangs on to what he believes in, though (in G. K. Chesterton's words) "the whole cosmos turned an engine of torture to tear it out of [him]."

Though, of course, when I look at him my jaw still drops. Grin

crescent1325

Quote:
krwordgazer

That's from "Dreamtime," Crescent. The Skot-Krim/Strongbow-Moonshade story. It's a colored version, so it must be from overseas. (feels jealous of those who can get colored version)

hell yeah...i wish i got to see some color in dreamtime...why didnt we get color???

Quote:
krwordgazer

Reyes Lord has a point. How many would still like Strongbow if he wasn't devastatingly handsome? If he was just an ordinary-looking elf (meaning good-looking in a general sort of way, but not necessarily making the jaw go slack Wink )

I love Strongbow for the torrent of emotions he hides under that hard shell. For the inward tenderness and vulnerability that few except his family get to see. And for the way he hangs on to what he believes in, though (in G. K. Chesterton's words) "the whole cosmos turned an engine of torture to tear it out of [him]."

**raises hand** i would....i think thats the main reason i like him....

Quote:
krwordgazer

Though, of course, when I look at him my jaw still drops. Grin

i think thats all of us...its not fair how hot he is....Moonshade is one lucky ducky....**siiiiiiiiigh*

joyleaf1

Quote:
Anonymous

[quote:6b8af3083b="joyleaf"]

Where was this picture taken from?? i sooooooooo dont recognize it...[/quote:6b8af3083b]

umm a while back i helped a friend find pictures of them and I think this is taken from the book 8.....dont quote me on that thoe ok i dont remember, eather that or a comic????sorry i cant be more help

crescent1325

[img:9ff1ace183]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/MultiMedea/eqhighones8.jpg[/img:9ff1ace183]

[color=indigo:9ff1ace183]MultiMedea's take on them as high ones...[/color:9ff1ace183]

Willowspring

i love how she did Moonshades wings... and Strongbow... *sigh* His outfit makes me very jealous... Cause i want those boots... *sigh&*

LoneRunner

[quote:1b44a2f505="krwordgazer"]
[/quote:1b44a2f505]

I know that I would still like him. His loyalty to kith and kin, his fierceness in protecting what he sees as his - be it chief, mate, cubs or other - and his deepness appeals to me. I must admit he is nice to look at, but give me someone I can count on, no matter what, and you have me drooling.

You would never have to wonder where you stood with him and once you earned his respect you would never have to worry that he didn't trust you.

Yes, I admit, I am a fan of the dark-silent type. However, it is what he doesn't say, what he does because it is in his nature, that is the most appealing, attractive, sexy part of this character.

8)

emerald

[color=blue:17341cc0aa]This picture showed me exactly how much they cared for eachother. I can't explain it exactly but this was around the time they became my favorite couple! :love: [/color:17341cc0aa]

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

cactus

[quote:5825d780a9="joyleaf"][quote:5825d780a9="Anonymous"][quote:5825d780a9="joyleaf"]
[/quote:5825d780a9]

[color=indigo:5825d780a9]Where was this picture taken from?? i sooooooooo dont recognize it...[/color:5825d780a9][/quote:5825d780a9]
umm a while back i helped a friend find pictures of them and I think this is taken from the book 8.....dont quote me on that thoe ok i dont remember, eather that or a comic????sorry i cant be more help[/quote:5825d780a9]
I think it's the one I posted in the costume change thread...
Anyway, as krwordgazer mentioned, it's from the colored edition of dreamtime, part eight :D .

And I agree that Strongbow is one of the hottest elves. And one of the few that actually looks good with a beard Grin .

Oh, and I'm with you Emerald. I could almost feel his pain, fear and frustration when he was reaching for Moonshade in that pic.

Brightbrighter

Good looks, yes. But I fell in love with him the very monet I saw him getting little Dart out of the tree, down to Moonshades waiting arms when the Wolfrides flees from the burning fire. The very beginning, that is.

He look grumpy, and you cannot see too many details, but for some reason to see him... and her...and Cutter telling them to take only what they need or something...

HE headed for his family. Since then I kept track of him and his family from page to page, if possible.

Love it when Ember is riding behind him when Skywise reunite with them when they head for the forbidden grove after the troll wars...

nevaratoiel

Quote:
joyleaf

Where are these from? Some new comic?

And I absolutely don't like that he's talking! He should be solely sending.... :?

Elsa

That's from Discovery, the current ongoing publication.

And he's talking out loud because his daughter Chitter demands he doesn't "think-talk" to her.

nevaratoiel

Unhappy That's too bad. Strongbow, in my opinion, should just stick to sending. It's one of the things that I like about him.....

krwordgazer

Agreed, Neveratoeil (and welcome to the forum, by the way!)-- but that's part of what makes those scenes so funny. Stubborn Strongbow conceding to the demands of that little pipsqueak of a daughter of his, who obviously is more of a handful than both his earlier children put together. Grin

Our silent one still sends to everyone else but her, trust me. Wink

Willowspring

I think that its adorable that Chitter did that with Strongbow... She is a adorable and nothing at all like her mother and father. Strongbow certainly has his hands full with dealing with that little monkey.

crescent1325

i do to willow, but maybe when nevaratoiel sees the context of his talking s/he will find it adorable too! cuz i for one always thought that it was cool that strongbow was the quiet one...buuuuuuuut...its just another side of him..and it also proves that chitter has him wrapped around her finger... Wink

Oh and WELCOME nevaratoiel!!!

nevaratoiel

Thank you. I have been a member for a while, but I never really got to posting.

I'm hoping for the bundle to be released. These loose comics have ridiculous prices here... I'll probably love the interaction too, since I do love the scene that's posted in the Chitter! thread. :)

Kitt

And clearly a Leetah fan! You know I welcome you, Nevaratoiel! :D Oh, and yeah, it's really nice that Chitter has absolute command over her stubborn Daddy :P

nevaratoiel

Lol! Thanks Kitt. Changed my avatar, but I still love Leetah. Among others. Wink But Strongbow is clearly my most favourite character. I don't think I need to say why. :P

Kitt

...uhh...okay...*whispers* Should I know why he's your fav.? :oops:

ElfTanner

Loving Moonshade so much you can't help but love her Lifemate too. I am a big fan of Strongbow and I wrote him a poem.

His WAY

Bowstring taught, arrow flies
his mark is never missed.
Leather band around his brow,
Thongs wrapped around his wrists.
A will so strong, a pride so true,
words are never spoken.
Hunting, warring, loving too,
he has no need for tokens.
Only the way, no more is needed.
He will fallow it to his death.
Protecting it and those he loves
with every single breath.
To hunt, to howl to live with
Freedom, that is his forte.
Fallow him he’ll show you wonders,
In his loving Way.

Seraphima Chisler
12/2/2005

nevaratoiel

Quote:
Kitt

...uhh...okay...*whispers* Should I know why he's your fav.? :oops:

*whispers back* Maybe because of the obvious reason? His trademarks... Grin

krwordgazer

Beautiful poem, ElfTanner. :D

Tooleybug

[quote="emerald"]This picture showed me exactly how much they cared for each other. I can't explain it exactly but this was around the time they became my favorite couple! :love:

Ah, emerald, I know what you mean.

Though my favourite Strongbow image is from a dozen or so pages later when he tells the Wolfriders to keep fighting the Blue Mountain Elves and to forget about him

(sorry, would include image but my scanner is at the other end of the country...)

- developed a crush on the spot (gosh I was a, er, sentimental 13 year old... :D )

crescent1325

my favorite frame of him in book three...would have to be when he is in consile and Reminding everyone of The Way before the fire...its hime next to like a biiiiiiiiiig thought bubble with pictures...i dont have a pic either..no scanner...sowwi!!

ReyesLord

I've always loved that scene with him challenge Cutter in the Forbidden Grove after Cutter lets the humans go. I adore the fact that Strongbow isn't afraid to challenge to his chief, but doesn't really hold a grudge when he loses. :D

nevaratoiel

I like the fact that Strongbow is so standvast and not afraid to go against his chief's wishes. He does what he believes is right and I appreciate that in him. Though he was more rebellious earlier into the story, these days he's a bit too docile for my liking. Still love him though. :D

krwordgazer

A Strongbow story:

Teaching Newstar - At the time of Searcher and the Sword, Strongbow and Newstar must both adapt to the changes in their lives.

NightAngel

Nice Strongbow pictures.

He's such a cool guy.
And pretty handsome!

crescent1325

These i found in color on the requested art thread...just love em!

The Family Reunited!

OnScream

Mannn....his stuborness can get anoying somtimes but it's what makes his character rock.

My fav part is when he and Moonshade recognize.

nevaratoiel

I just wish Wendy would've drawn the previous recognitions. I only see the horrible drawings of what's-whose-name. I'm sure that would rock even more.

I think they're a perfect couple. Well... relatively, that is. They have their quarrels, their fights, their Strongbow-has-to-be-a-rock-skull moments, but they fulfill eachother. That's what I love about them together.

And Chitter... I still need to buy Discovery, but I will wait until the compiled album comes out (how I manage I don't know)... She's already starting to grow on me, from what I've seen. :D

Minouche

Quote:
Lone Runner

Yes, I admit, I am a fan of the dark-silent type. 8)

Thanks but no thanks. :roll: I find him gorgeous and brave, but, untill Dreamtime, a tad emotionally constipated. Chitter has brought about an even more engaging aspect of him in SaS. Now that he is less "stuck" I find him sexier.

nevaratoiel

Quote:
muriel

I find him gorgeous and brave, but, untill Dreamtime, a tad emotionally constipated. Chitter has brought about an even more engaging aspect of him in SaS. Now that he is less "stuck" I find him sexier.

Hmmm... don't really agree with you there... I liked him best in the original quest and then SaBM also. But after that it went down hill. And now, ever since SatS.... *there is no drool smiley, so DROOL!*

Lemaly

I wasn't too impressed with Strongbow at first...but the more I read, and the more I learn, the more I admire him. I especially liked the page in Discovery with Chitter....so cute. I've slowly become quite attached to him. I think he's secretly taking over my mind. He's quite gorgeous as well! Quietly becoming one of my favorites! Wink

Gazelle

That's pretty much what Strongbow did to me!

Btw, welcome Lemaly!

nevaratoiel

Yeah, welcome to the board Lemaly.

At first Strongbow wasn't really much in the picture... in the first 5 comics. After that when he first challenged Cutter, I wasn't that impressed either. But then I read the novels and that really changed my view on him drastically.

Lemaly

Thanks for the welcomes.

It seems that he's done that for most people. I really can't wait to read more! I just have to wait until my comic book provider orders in more stuff for me! *must be patient* :) But, yes....indeed....he is gorgeous! I love the beard. Looks so good! :D

krwordgazer

Quote:
muriel

I find him gorgeous and brave, but, untill Dreamtime, a tad emotionally constipated. Chitter has brought about an even more engaging aspect of him in SaS. Now that he is less "stuck" I find him sexier.

Here's my fan-fiction take on what loosened him up in Searcher and the Sword and Discovery. But it does "spoil" Searcher if you haven't read it. . .

Joy Above

(Note: Scroll about halfway down the page to start the story.)

crescent1325

Following Board Mom's example, im gonna post my fics links here.

Caged

(once again, its at the bottom of the page.)

Oh, PS.

I really did love that story Kmom. I just went back and to reread it. **sigh** im tearing a work. Coworkers think im all Hormonal now! lol..

Minouche

Quote:
krwordgazer

Here's my fan-fiction take on what loosened him up in Searcher and the Sword and Discovery. But it does "spoil" Searcher if you haven't read it. . .

It fits very well with Wendy's story and it is quite well written. Good job Lady, I wish I could write that well.

krwordgazer

Aww, thanks, Muriel. :oops: :)

If you're interested in other stuff I've written, check out the Fan Fiction Table of Contents-- I have a large list there. Or PM me. If there's a particular character you like, chances are I've written at least one story about him or her. 8)

Minouche

I'll check.

nevaratoiel

Great stories you have there. I particularly like Dart's Decision. :)

PAQMAN67

:D Hello again everyone!!! I must admit I like Strongbow a lot, Silent Strong-Type is an understatement when referring to him. Clint Eastwood (human)= Strongbow (Elf). I think that just about sums it up. We need someone like him to be President!! (that would really scare those weenies up in DC!!) Grin

Minouche

That explains everything : I prefer Dustin Hoffman to Clint Eastwood. I run away from emotional constipation no matter how beautiful the package. On the other hand "point trop n'en faut" (let's not exagerate in French) and Woody Allen also would send me packing with his dissection of angst ad nauseam.

Gazelle

Modern Strongbow!

Flowerstar

Err, Zelle, that's the Moonshade dollie :P .

Nowth

Quote:
krwordgazer

Well - I think he looks fairly uninteresting most of the time, so you might want to experiment on me there.

NightAngel

He isn't that handsome actually.

It's his personality.
The way he refuses to sent, how stubborn he can be.
But yet reliable.
That's why I like him.

jadengems

Quote:
krwordgazer

Reyes Lord has a point. How many would still like Strongbow if he wasn't devastatingly handsome? If he was just an ordinary-looking elf (meaning good-looking in a general sort of way, but not necessarily making the jaw go slack Wink

Oh I'd still adore him...his sexyness is much more than skin-deep. Besides, in movies, I am always attracted to the men with battle-scars. In Braveheart, my favorite character is actually the guy who had to watch his new bride go off with the stupid English lord. *sniffles* I cried when he got killed.

One-eye, I was always attracted to him, too. Battle scars just make them more hunky, I think.

But with Strongbow, its not just his looks, its his soul. It's just pure and unflinching. I didn't have a lot of men like that in my life before I met my husband. The men in my family are fairly weak...they die young...and die unhappy. So, I think he could look like Picknose and I might still adore him.

~Gem

NightAngel

Exactly Jade!
that's what I mean:)

Nowth

Three moments: KOTBW - affected by guilt (Kureel). This was something fantasy/"adventure" stories rarely seem to deal with at all.

His & Moonshade's bit in Dreatime.

And Wolfwood.

All things considered, though, he'd drive me up the walls as fast as Pike would, or Skywise's sunshine trio.

He seems not just quiet to me, but unimaginative, unoriginal, humour-less... a disciplinarian, an authoritarian... and fairly crude and brutal at times, even if it's forgivable as a result of brutality. All of this may just be the surface characteristics of a proud, passionate, strong and committed soul, but it comes at a little too high a price.

Can't really imagine what Moonshade ever did with him before they had Chitter. Plant him somewhere and throw herself around his neck? *G* sorry. Thing is, I can see his personality as a huge part of his sex appeal... but not as very attractive otherwise. Not expecting anyone to agree, of course.

Minouche

oops

Minouche

Quote:
Gazelle

Modern Strongbow!

Whaaat? Surprised

Alana

Quote:
muriel

[quote:9c90efa42f="Gazelle"]Modern Strongbow!

Whaaat? Surprised[/quote:9c90efa42f]

Grin

Siwan

Strongbow went for the other gender Grin

jadengems

Bahaha!

nevaratoiel

Quote:
Nowth

Can't really imagine what Moonshade ever did with him before they had Chitter. Plant him somewhere and throw herself around his neck? *G* sorry. Thing is, I can see his personality as a huge part of his sex appeal... but not as very attractive otherwise. Not expecting anyone to agree, of course.

God, Nowth, that made me laugh... Grin Rofl!

Nowth

Well, that's something. *strongbows*

crescent1325

LOL...Zelle, i think the Shinyness is acting up! lol..

But here is mordern Strongbow:

Quote:
Gems

Oh I'd still adore him...his sexyness is much more than skin-deep.

[SNIP...]

But with Strongbow, its not just his looks, its his soul. It's just pure and unflinching.

Hell yeah, sister! **high fours**

Gazelle

Thanks for rescuing me cres!

*hides under rock*

That was so embarressing!

crescent1325

Not a problem Wink

*huggles*

Siwan

Well even tough it was a female it was good :D

@ Cres :I love the strongbow :D

krwordgazer

Quote:
Nowth

He seems not just quiet to me, but unimaginative, unoriginal, humour-less... a disciplinarian, an authoritarian... and fairly crude and brutal at times, even if it's forgivable as a result of brutality. All of this may just be the surface characteristics of a proud, passionate, strong and committed soul, but it comes at a little too high a price.

Hmm. I agree that Strongbow's more prickly characteristics can really turn people off. I think it's at least partly in self-defense, however. A way of protecting his inner self. And at least some of it came from Crescent's death, which I don't think he ever really got over, until Chitter came along. That's why we're suddenly seeing him smile a lot more in Discovery.

But it's true that imagination has never been his strong suit. Grin

Nowth

Quote:
krwordgazer

Hmm. I agree that Strongbow's more prickly characteristics can really turn people off. I think it's at least partly in self-defense, however. A way of protecting his inner self. And at least some of it came from Crescent's death, [...]

As I said, a result of brutality ...but really, he did seem a bit stiff even while Crescent was alive. A little like Sole Protector Rayek, but without the gloating. He's like a guy in uniform making you feel like you haven't bled enough to afford the fun you're having. But I can see how his steadfast convictions would be attractive. I guess what I value more is the ability to change your mind, and to have new ideas every once in a while. But then, that just wouldn't be Strongbow, so as a "contribution" to Elfquest I like him just the way he is.

krwordgazer

Well, I will admit that in real life, a guy like Strongbow is not the kind I tend to make friends with very often. But he's the kind that's worth getting to know, if you can just get under his skin.

Temper Strongbow with a large dose of Zhantee and just a drop of Skywise, and that's my husband. :D

Nowth

Mkay, sounds better already. :)

I don't think I know Strongbow-like people in real life. Strongbow probably wouldn't talk to me anyway, except to inform me that his son is worth 50 shivering nowthlings.

But of course this is not the perspective of this thread.

*looks around* say, is my avatar out of place or something?

Magela_earth

Quote:
Nowth

[quote:b6e508098f="krwordgazer"]Hmm. I agree that Strongbow's more prickly characteristics can really turn people off. I think it's at least partly in self-defense, however. A way of protecting his inner self. And at least some of it came from Crescent's death, [...]

As I said, a result of brutality ...but really, he did seem a bit stiff even while Crescent was alive. A little like Sole Protector Rayek, but without the gloating. He's like a guy in uniform making you feel like you haven't bled enough to afford the fun you're having. But I can see how his steadfast convictions would be attractive. I guess what I value more is the ability to change your mind, and to have new ideas every once in a while. But then, that just wouldn't be Strongbow, so as a "contribution" to Elfquest I like him just the way he is.[/quote:b6e508098f]

I was just flipping through the original quest and saw Strongbow, who stubbornly refused to go into Blue Mountain, conceed because his tribe needed him. I have absoluetly NO problem with Strongbow's stubborness. As was discussed earlier in this thread, he would definately be my favorite character even if he wasn't gorgeous, I love his type, and his quirks specific to him alone. He knows when is enough.

I was thinking that Surge reminded me of him a little, but Surge is going a bit fanatical, in similar way to Two Spear, only not as bad.

BUT, I hate moonshade. I used to REALLY hate her, but she's growing on me a little. Probably just because I loved Strongbow so much and no one was good enough for him...but moonshade is a good lifemate. It just takes a while to figure out when you're a bit jealous. haha. I'd still say she one of my least favorite elves.....

Which is funny that a really steadfast couple, one of the most recognising couples ever are on polar opposite ends of my list.

oooooh, and i so want to know what's up with the elfquest action figures series III, cus wasn't strongbow supposed to be in there somewhere. *drools*

Nowth

I luv Moonshade! And I'll be honest - it's because of her looks. She's the best. If I could be reborn as an EQ elf, I'd uhmm have to make only very slight changes.

manalatawen

well i'm in a love/hate relatonship to strongbow, somtimes i just hate him because he's so stubborn, but on the other hand that is somthing that a find attractive to him.
i do love him, but somtimes when he say/sends somthing i just want to kikc he's ass!
and i just love that i don't talk, but only sends.
and he's beautiful, but it wasn't because of that i started liking him, it was because he was who he was and never changed from that!!!
he was standing up for what he belived in and never was afraid to challenge anyone :D

Gunther

When the pack is crossing the desert the first time, when the hunter of the tribe can only dig up one scrawny lizard for the tribe. He has failed in his duty, yet he does what he can. Revisit how the small amount of meat is used,,,, you will see is why I like him the best.

A will a strong as Winnowill?

A love for the tribe that may well outdo Cutter's though it manifests in a different way.

How hard is it for a person of true convictions to go against them? Would Strongbow ever do so?? Yes,, but only for the love of the Tribe, (the entering of Blue Mountain), not for other reasons, most likely not even to save his own life.

The pack, the cub, the Way, Moonshade,,,, what else is there for him? Moreso, what else would he want for himself?

Nowth

(Interesting - that's kind of why I find him a little dull and "unreachable". Unshakable conviction is no virtue to me... too much like blind faith.)

ReyesLord

Strongbow's conviction isn't "unshakable" because he has bent to Cutter's "new ways" and learned to adapt to them. It just took him longer than the others in the tribe to give in. His conviction is very strong, and a person's willingness to stick to their beliefs, despite what the rest of the world is trying to force upon them, is very attractive (to me at least).

That sort of faithfulness to tradition is what has kept a lot of cultures from dying out, such as the Irish who refused to give up their native Gaelic (I'm pretty such it's Gaelic) despite their leaders telling them to. It's that loyalty that Cutter valued so greatly during the Troll War, where he outright asked Strongbow and Moonshade to remind the tribe what it meant to be Wolfriders (I believe Strongbow and Moonshade are reference as the Keepers of the Way) when this was all over so that they didn't become like the Go-Backs and simply start enjoying the killing.

Nowth

Okay. You're right. He's not so inflexible that he breaks before he bends. But he is a bit xenophobic and merciless at times - or was, anyway (Sorrow's End - soft little rabbits, kill all humans, be like Bearclaw, be tough as nails all day long?). I realise he's grown up since then, and experienced first hand the joys of crippling guilt among other things.

I suppose it depends on what your personal experience with tradition is. I'm all for preserving languages and songs and costumes but tradition as a whole has no real place for people like some of my friends or myself.

It just turns me off when tradition becomes its own justification, and Strongbow isn't shown engaging in a lot of questioning or reasoning. Unless you've never before met people who were at all willing to stand up for their ideals, I can't imagine what's so attractive about so much disapproval, resentment and suppressed anger in one tight-lipped skinny package.

It's clear that his heart is in it, though, and I did enjoy his and Moonshade's Dreamtime bit. Without that and the Kureel incident I'd probably still dislike him.

krwordgazer

[quote:0c9a533bea="Nowth"]It just turns me off when tradition becomes its own justification, and Strongbow isn't shown engaging in a lot of questioning or reasoning. Unless you've never before met people who were at all willing to stand up for their ideals, I can't imagine what's so attractive about so much disapproval, resentment and suppressed anger in one tight-lipped skinny package. [/quote:0c9a533bea]

I used to think of Strongbow like that too, Nowth. And I can remember the moment I changed my mind. It's at the moment when Strongbow and Moonshade leave Blue Mountain after Strongbow tells Cutter he's not going to challenge him again. After accepting Nightfall's bow, Strongbow looks back at the Wolfriders as Door closes and sends something like, *You'll change your minds, I know it! We'll be waiting in the woods! We'll wait!*

I could see that the tight-lipped, stiff-necked archer was just about to cry. And it changed my whole view of him. All that unattractive hardness was only on the surface. Below it was a person who cared so deeply and passionately for his tribe that he could hardly bear to leave them, and yet couldn't bear to stay, either. Looking back over his actions with that understanding, I came to see that the Way was not just empty tradition, but an anchor for the archer's turbulent soul.

I came to love Strongbow in that moment. And over the years I've seen that tender underside of his manifest itself over and over again-- to the point where his outward prickliness now only elicits a fond smile.

Minouche

Stiff, stubborn, at times knuckleheaded, nonetheless gorgeous, he deserved to get a daughter like Chitter to loosen him a bit.

Nowth

It's not that I hate the character himself, just that I'm not so sure what I think about the reasons he's so loved by some. A refusal or inability to imagine that things could be different and not actually worse for it, a strong conviction that you're right no matter what... those are not attractive qualities to me. So when he does reach me it's when there's more to him than this (and I'm aware that there is) - it's in spite of his flint-ness rather than because of it. (Though if it were a bit more of a weakness I'd probably find that endearing again...)

krwordgazer

[quote:711acf9700="Nowth"]A refusal or inability to imagine that things could be different and not actually worse for it, a strong conviction that you're right no matter what... those are not attractive qualities to me.[/quote:711acf9700]

Those aren't attractive qualities to me, either, Nowth-- but every weakness has its attendant strengths (and vice versa). These weaknesses in Strongbow correspond to an unshakable loyalty (if you can convince him you're worthy to be his leader), and an intense commitment to his tribe and family. There is a certain attractiveness in someone who won't be swayed, someone who you can rely on to always be there, exactly where you need him to be to keep your back covered.

As for his looks-- it seems to me like they help him get away with a lot that wouldn't be forgiven in someone less handsome. Wink But really, his looks are beside the point. His soul, underneath the hardness, is tender and easily wounded-- which is probably the reason for the hardness in the first place.

And I [i:711acf9700]do [/i:711acf9700]find his "flint-ness" an endearing weakness. :)

(BTW, Moonshade is also somewhat "flinty," tends to be convinced she's right, and is not especially endowed with imagination. And yet you love her. What's the difference, do you think?)

Nowth

The difference? Her looks, of course. :) *sigh* :roll:

Gunther

I had alwoays thought of Strongbow as a decendent of Greywolf from the moment I read the Text anthologys. Was this ever stated in the comics? Or anywhere? The fierce protector of the clan, the one closest to the wolves,, they seemed so much alike considering the different generations. Even if it was never stated, had anyone else made that link in their mind?

Minouche

I haven't, but it's as valid as linking Winnowill and Rayek to Haken. After all, why not? There are similarities between Strongbow and Greywolf, even though they don't look alike.

Nowth

Hrmm. I believe it's possible to not be a copy of your ancestors.

Minouche

It's twue, it's twue :D :D (from Blazing Saddle) I agree, but it's also frequent to inherit characteristics from them that aren't purely physical.

krwordgazer

[quote:b13762bf1e="Nowth"]The difference? Her looks, of course. :) *sigh* :roll:[/quote:b13762bf1e]

Heh, heh. We are all susceptible in our different ways, aren't we? Grin I suppose I am a hypocrite in saying Strongbow's looks are beside the point. After all, I don't have nearly the feelings for Moonshade I have for him. Wink

Windwalker

I was actually never all that attracted to Strongbow until he got his facefur. It made him look older and I'm attracted to older men. Pre-facefur Strongbow just held no attraction for me.
However, I always thought his best episode was in Books 7-8. His quest for redemption was very touching. It also showed him interacting with Clearbrook. Before then he had mainly kept to his family. Having Clearbrook help him showed that he wasn't as anti-social as he would have us think.
So yeah, I don't find him all that good looking but I do find him an interesting and tender character.
He's also fun to torture in fanfiction. :twisted:

emerald

Look at Strongbow smiling! :D

crescent1325

Such a cute and Rare Smile! :love:

NEXT PAGE