ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Shuna-- la una!

lunakat

Yes, Shuna is a one and only...

and at the same time, she's every girl.

Let's give her the acknowledgment she deserves!

Kathleen

Shuna is sooooo cool!

lunakat

Let's be frank, people. It takes guts to rebel against your own, tyrannical father... then pick up and relocate, living among a whole 'nother race and culture.

give the girl kudos.

at the same time, she's plain jane- insecure, sweet, plagued by adolescent hormones and struggling against her own lousy taste in men. Shuna is the girl next door who lives in the woods.

how can we not like her?

!Viva la Shuna!

nomad-human

Looks like you beat me to it Luna. I came straight here and was going to make 'Shuna's Shack'. But instead I'll just make efusive comments in 'Shuna la Una'.

I love a rebel and Shuna is that. Not to mention that she's a rebel WITH a cause but yet for all this she's still a work in progress. She is still learning from her mistakes. Much like we all do.

Not the most popular character, but one whose depth continues to surprise me...which makes Shuna my numero una character.

Is the rhyming thing getting out hand? Grin

krwordgazer

Shuna is great. She's Everywoman, and yet a fully rounded character in her own right. I love her stubbornness, and her courage-- and I love her struggles with self-doubt and with the lingering effects of her past. She's really someone I can identify with.

nomad-human

I think that one of the things that I've always admired about Shuna is her ability to take a mental step away from herself. She was raised in a culture that was very intolerant of anything that is different. Yet Shuna tries so hard to see past her cultural/religious chauvanism (when one thinks that one's culture is normal and right and everyone else's is backward and wrong and must be changed to fit the outsider's point of view). This is so hard and she definetaly has hiccups along the way, but she's always trying. How many of us can say that? It is something to aspire to at the very least.

For the longest time Shuna was my favorite character, but I didn't identify with her at all. We just didn't have that much in common, but recently that changed. I've been going through a crisis of confidence and self worth, the typical falling into despair type of crap. Getting out of that place was hard, sometimes I didn't even want to, the misery seemed easier than the work needed to get better. But though it was hard and though I was humbled by it all, I was able to face my failings and my mistakes and where it all went wrong and learn and grow from them. For the past two months I've been reading and rereading 'Searcher and the Sword' it was invaluable.

So once again, here's to Shuna...someone I can finally identify with. :)

krwordgazer

(hugs Nomad)

Shuna has great courage, Nomad. And so do you. :)

lunakat

I didn't realize you were feeling that way, Nomad. You seem so, well... together. Wink

But if you think about it, you must have identified with Shuna on some level for her to be your favorite character- even before your crisis. Maybe there was something about the lone warrior in her that you liked. Maybe the combo of that and the 'girl next door' quality?

I think Shuna is very easy to relate to. To me, she embodies the transition from general insecurity to confidence and self-discovery... a journey I think most people go through at some point in their lives. (Maybe not half as dramatic as hers, but... Wink)

I didn't like Shuna much until I read 'Searcher and the Sword.' She was just so... [i:9b7a547be9]good[/i:9b7a547be9] in Shards. I think I found it boring in a way. Not that the [i:9b7a547be9]story[/i:9b7a547be9] was boring, mind you-- or her role in it... but the way she just always did the right thing. She was unsure of herself-- but beyond that, seemed to play such a clear-cut role. And her actions were so commendable... You know.

I think, in 'Searcher' she developed into a much more rounded character. It was good to get inside her head and see from her perspective. I really empathized with her personal crisis at the beginning of the book-- which seemed to come from nowhere, but which we later learned was rooted in her childhood and self-image. I also really appreciated her many revelations-- that she was compensating for an inner lack by allowing the insect people to elevate her, that she was willing to be seen as a 'spirit' or god, that she had to wrestle with the ethics of that-- the revelation she had about her own motivations when it came to his spider-manliness.

Yes, I liked Shuna quite a bit by the end of that book. I guess you could say I saw her in a new light.

nomad-human

The elves always seem to me to be very archetypal, in their own way. People, that while we may look up to, we could never actually be ourselves. Shuna offers something to aspire to that is also achievable, at one point or another we will all eventually be her.

There is a game company called White Wolf and one of their older games was called Werewolf: The Apocalypse. It had all sorts of different tribes of werewolves, cats, bears, coyotes, spiders, lizards, snakes, birds and so on and so forth. Anyway one of the tribes of werewolves was called the Silent Striders, they were nomadic by nature and always had a large effect on the people they visited, in their own quiet way. To me that's Shuna, she is EQ's very own Silent Strider.

Thanks for your kind words Luna and 'Gazer. It was a rough patch and I got through it in my own quiet and private sort of way. :)

krwordgazer

(hugs Nomad)

I for one am VERY curious to see how it comes about that Shuna learns to send!

nomad-human

You and me both! Well now that DC seems very keen on releasing new stories for EQ it seems that we won't have to wait to long to find out. That and find out how all the loose ends tied up.

joselle

Nomad, you mentioned that Shuna was a rebel with a cause, do you think you could explain that more (with spoilers if needed!) I think I know what you're talking about, but I missed a few books in there that I think were crucial to understanding Shuna's character.

nomad-human

Here's my extremely delayed response. Since I no longer have a computer my posting is sporadic at best.

Spoilers...sort of

Turn back now if you are unfamiliar with Shuna's plotline...

.Really now, you've been warned...

.Alrighty then, if you are unpleasently surprised it's your own fault.

I say that Shuna is a rebel with a cause because of what she fights for. She activly rebels against the Djun and his corrupt government. She puts her life on the line for those beliefs and for the people she loves, human and elven alike. When Shuna sees something that isn't right she must speak out, she must fight against it. While this might make her irritating at times she makes sure that everyone is striving to be the most ethical being that they can be.

During the Shards War she bleeds for her cause and watches others bleed for it too. Many people rebel, not many do something productive with that rebellion. Shuna most definately does NOT fall into that camp.

joselle

thanks nomad! I just figured you'd be the one to ask! :P

krwordgazer

A story featuring Shuna begins about halfway down this page:

[url=http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2751&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15]The Gift[/url]

nomad-human

I ate this story up, it was quite good. You know it fits too, Shuna always seems to be under the watch of our silent archer and his family. Maybe in a way she [i:aa84f23e38]does[/i:aa84f23e38] remind them of Crescent, either way it's rather nice to believe.

crescent1325

[color=indigo:20d932f623]*sniff sniff* that was so sad.

Im not gonna lie, that made me tear up. :oops: [/color:20d932f623]

krwordgazer

Awww, thanks. :oops: I'm so glad you guys liked it! :D

Windwalker

I never really liked Shuna. She always seemed like such a Mary-Sue, complete with a tragic past (tm). I mean, she just happened to be saved by elves as a child. Then she endured a horrific childhood, then she has the strength of character to stand up to her bullies, meet the elves again, shout out noble sayings('Will you never fall, Slavemaker?'), and then fly away with said elves to later become the very first human to learn how to send (after she escapes from her abusive husband in a noble fashion any feminist would be proud of).
No, I don't like this character. She's too contrived.

Minouche

a few more years of life experience and you may realise how many Shunas are in your own neighbourhood. If anything her life has been easier than theirs (no hepful healing elves around here).I used to volunteer for a shelter for battered women and I've met quite a few. It takes guts to get out of an abusive home and fight injustice, but most women have more guts than they are credited with.

Nowth

Her background isn't contrived at all, of course, though I can see having a problem with the Jeanne d'Arc elements. But - you know, this is Elfquest. It's not about not taking an idea and running with it. And Shuna perhaps embodies some of EQ's hopes for humans, that change is possible (hence the sending). Whether she's got too much of that for a single heroic character, too fast, too ... I don't know. Possibly.

I still liked Shuna better than the rest of SATS. She just seemed the most real of the whole bunch. And the human perspective was immensely refreshing, although its purpose at times seemed to be to drop simple obvious lessons. But the idea itself found my approval... uhm. How generous of me, no?

[quote:d20fd6f842] I mean, she just happened to be saved by elves as a child. [/quote:d20fd6f842]

Actually, since that does happen in the real world, it never seemed over-the-top to me... except the elves of EQ are real, physical beings... and saved means really, physically saved...

krwordgazer

A Shuna-and-Bee story:

"Till Death Do Us Part"

nomad-human

Now that I'm back I had to make a post to put my favorite character's thread back on the first page.

One of the other things that I really like about Shuna is something that happened to her in the Sunstream/Brill storyline. Shuna says that she can't really see herself as a mother. No one seems to think less of her for this, or less of a woman for that matter either. There is an enormous pressure on women to find the right guy, settle down and have babies. Sometimes it seems that society at large seems to think that past a certain age a woman without children is abnormal.

I didn't have my daughter until I was in my thirties, and trust me, many times I was asked why I didn't have any children yet, because, you know...I was getting on in years.

So for those of us who waited a while to have children, or who chose not to have them at all, it is nice to see an admired female fictional character make such a similar choice.

spiritofthewater

I think I have found the real Shuna.

Did anyone know that there actually is a folk songwriter from New Zealand called Shona Laing. The strange thing about it is that her music could remind you about the music from Wolfrider's Reflections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPAcQ5WvZaI

MysticalChicken

'Kay, I didn't know where else to ask this:

Which issue does Shuna first appear in [i:e73691fc35]after[/i:e73691fc35] she is healed by Leetah (I already read that part)?

Embala

Hiddn Years 15 - just [url=http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/HY/HY15/DisplayHY15.html?page=17]here[/url] Smile

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Quiver

[size=12:a47865eb4a][/size:a47865eb4a]Whist putting Shuna back on the front page where she belongs, I would like to express my wish that she in future publications is given a new dress. I'm sorry, she's a modest girl and all that, but the old one looks like sackcloth. She deserves better. She could totally wear pastels with that complexion.

krwordgazer

Here's a very short story about the healing of young Shuna by Leetah-- from Shuna's perspective:

[url=http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=434724#434724]Shuna[/url]

CrimsonAnna

My strongest "Shuna-moment" is when she leaves her handsome hunter saying that "I shall never teach my daughters so" For me, who has had the best of female role-models in my family when it comes to loving others, and the worst when it comes to loving yourself, the message that you can change this is such a comfort. Shuna inspires me. I think this is EQ at it's best-showing us that there isn't one wrong and one right way to live-we have choices.

Embala

A collage illustrating krwordgazer's beautiful story

click to see full sized

krwordgazer

Thanks again for the wonderful collage, Embala! :D

Embala

You are welcome :D

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Icemoon

Embala, your colages are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful !!

I love how you shew all of this ...
very very impressive !

Embala

It belongs here as much as it belongs in Bee's thread. Inspiered by a story by Redhead Ember:

A Winter's Gift

Startear

I have a question... do you guys think that Shuna and Spider boy consumated their mariage, so to speak?

Vojira

I think it's actually shown?

Embala

They did for sure. shuna was in love - and Nunkah was content to have a special mate. For a short time it was "fine" for both ... then Shuna became TOO independant and he started to mistreat her.

DJAF is right - it is shown ...

click the banner

Looks like the comic viewer is bugging again - it's on page # 55.

MultiMEDEA

SPOILER for those who haven't read The Final Quest prologue yet...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

!

Yay!!!! Shuna's pregnant! I'm gonna start drawing the baby now...playing with Brill's baby and Chitter. Luvlove

Check out the Tuesday weekly updates on the EQ Comics page.

Embala

New Multimedea art! Looking forward in anticipation! Yay

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

RedheadEmber

Yay!!!! Shuna's pregnant! I'm gonna start drawing the baby now...playing with Brill's baby and Chitter. Luvlove

Check out the Tuesday weekly updates on the EQ Comics page.

Cuteness! Luvlove Heart

Angelalex242

The saddest part is...they also mature at different rates.

A 20 year old elf is still a young child. A 20 year old human is a full grown man.

A 50 year old elf is a teen. A 50 year old human's got grey hairs. Indeed, a 50 year old human probably has a child of his or her own who's already lapped the elf in maturity, again.

One wonders what that does to an elf's view of humans when, through his own children, he's going to view a human and the child thereof and the GRANDCHILD thereof mature before he's even Recognized once.

RedheadEmber

Are you sure?

I think it says somewhere that elves actually reach maturity rather early. Dewshine wasn't that old when she got Windkin...

MultiMEDEA

Are you sure?
I think it says somewhere that elves actually reach maturity rather early. Dewshine wasn't that old when she got Windkin...

Yeah, right...50 is young adulthood for an elf, not teenaged years. I think they hit physical maturity somewhere between 17-20.

Embala

The saddest part is...they also mature at different rates.

A 20 year old elf is still a young child. A 20 year old human is a full grown man.

A 50 year old elf is a teen. A 50 year old human's got grey hairs. Indeed, a 50 year old human probably has a child of his or her own who's already lapped the elf in maturity, again.

Are you sure?
Yes and No - both of you can be right!

It's true that Wolfriders mature early. It's stated in OQ #6 and several cubs proved it. Yes, Skywise was called a "silly cub" by Strongbow in his forties - but that was an angry reaction of an Elder ... similar to the the remark of a Human (grand)parent towards a young adult, who acted less responsible. In any other situation Skywise's maturity wasn't questiond from the beginning (when he was about 30 years old).

On the other hand it was told somewhere in the BoTC novelizations that pureblooded elves mature much slower. I remember something like Rahnee and Zarhan being "the same age" (considered the level of maturity) though Zahran was 100 or more years older.
Sunstream IS a pureblooded elf (though his WR heritage still might have influenced his developement) and Brill is a pureblood as well. Their child might mature slower - like it was stated by Brill about the Wavedancer pips:
Older than you (=Sunstream) yet so young ... so young and so dear to us.
At least Moonmirror and Puffer look clearly younger than Sunstream!

One wonders what that does to an elf's view of humans when, through his own children, he's going to view a human and the child thereof and the GRANDCHILD thereof mature before he's even Recognized once.

Yeah, right...50 is young adulthood for an elf, not teenaged years. I think they hit physical maturity somewhere between 17-20.
At least Wolfriders mature fast - and can reproduce at very young age (for an elf Wink):
Cutter was 17 when he became chief - and recognized at the age of 23.
Ember was 14 or 15 when she has to take over chief duties - and she had a lovemate before.
Dewshine was an accepted member in the hunt at 15 and about 21 when she recognized.
Nightfall was 22 when she and Redlance could count as a well settled couple.
Dart was left back at the Sunvillage as a teacher at the age of 11 or 12 ... and was the leader of the Jackwolf Riders a few years later.
And Stormlight ... she must have been hardly more than 12 when she recognized Tanner ... and little older when they answered Recognition. TOO YOUNG - as it was stated ... but it was possible.

Considering the small number of Wolfriders early Recognition isn't so unusual at all. And a child out of this Recognition CAN recognize early again, so that generations are only 25 to 30 years apart.
Of course ... that's NOT the rule!

In peaceful times you are most probably right about the much slower generation change among Elves and Humans, Medea.
Would it have so much impact to see it in direct comparism?
- the Elves KNOW about the short lifespan of their Human "neighbours".
- they raised Little Patch - it must have been the blink of an eye for Tyleet to see him grow up, mature, age and die. (Humans should hardly get older than 60 to 70 years at those times - and that would be OLD!)

Winnowill and the Gliders saw in "their" Humans hardly more than pets. But the Wolfriders?
I think they realized well that Human lifespan and reproduction rate are much closer to their bondwolfs than to themselves. But - Wolfriders consider their bondbeasts as friends and pack members - I think they have no problems to accept Humans as equals as well. Different - but on the same level.

PCoquelin

Remember this world of two moons is a HARSH, medieval world.

Shuna's pregnancy might very well turn BADLY, or give an unsound baby.

Or the infant might die during the next years.

( but I'm just an old gloomer, yes.. )

RedheadEmber

The baby has a healer elf-grandmother!

Embala

Gloomer! XD

I expect a very sain cub and happy parents - at least for the beginning. If there would been anything wrong it would have be adressed - and fixed by Leetah. Or - not, in case Shuna would have objected. Midwife, healer and mother are calm - expecting a new life. And it looks like Leetah will be around for quite a while.

Therefore I am optimistic for the prologue ... and what time will bring? Who knows!

RedheadEmber

Embala said

Yes and No - both of you can be right!

(removed most of the post for space)

Great post. Love the way you explain these issues.

I sorta just realized something else: When Cutter and Leetah first meet and recognize each other Leetah is 600-year-old, and is clearly treated as the daughter of Sun Toucher and Toorah.

In the "Shards" timeline (referring both to Cutter's and Ember's quests here) Tyleet is about 500-year-old and it's mentioned several times that she, for quite some time, has been more friend than daughter to Nightfall.

Embala

I sorta just realized something else: When Cutter and Leetah first meet and recognize each other Leetah is 600-year-old, and is clearly treated as the daughter of Sun Toucher and Toorah.
In the "Shards" timeline (referring both to Cutter's and Ember's quests here) Tyleet is about 500-year-old and it's mentioned several times that she, for quite some time, has been more friend than daughter to Nightfall.
Good rememberance and remark, Redhead.

Yes, there are clear hints in the comics as well that adulthood is relative when you compare Wolfriders and Go-Backs to Sunfolk and Wavedancers. (Gliders as we know them don't had offspings.)

Those who are connected to Abode one way or the other - WR by blood, GB by life sttyle - seem to mature and reproducce early - and often.
Those who live in relative safe isolation and are immortal reproduce rarely - a very reasonable principle.

PCoquelin

The baby looks healthy!

YAYYY!

MultiMEDEA

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Congrats to Shuna and Ikopek's new son! Yeah Yay Yay Yay Yeah Thumbs_up

RedheadEmber

Something I recently realized:

She seems to have adopted that insanely long hair style Clearbrook, Timmain and Newstar all follow!

RedheadEmber

Okay, recently realised something quite sad!

Twice now she has said that she would've burried a loved one if she could!
First about her mother, then about Ikopek.
I really hope she'll get a chance to give Shukopek a prober funeral, and we pretty much know she'll outlive him...