ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Timmorn, yellow-eyes, the first Wolfrider ever !

PCoquelin

Now, I strongly want to read more than a novel ...

or some "Wolfrider !" tales about him
and the Way Timmorn, first Wolfrider chief ever,
managed to unite elves and wolves...
and the way he died ( if ever he did, I'm not not sooo sure of it )

Starmist

I have never thought about the fact that he might have survived.. The thought alone is absolutely thrilling!

But then again, he was half wolf, so with that much "mortal" blood, he would have to die.. Unless he shapechanged to become immortal? Sounds sketchy.. I wonder what he would look like without wolfblood Surprised
Would like to know more about what happened to him after he left the tribe, though.. According to the novels, he came back to see his daughter on some occasions, so he did have at least half an eye on his old tribe..

PCoquelin

And he was the living proof that both elf and wolf blood could blend ( Surprised )
This alone, considering the odds, is astonishing !

Trollbabe

He was the most wolvish of all the Wolfriders - even liked to have his belly scratched.

Aldar

You just had to go find the oldest thread, didn't you? Grin

But I love Timmorn. He's raw, conflicted and dead sexy. Just my kind of guy.

Nowth

He'd be my kind of guy if I could in all honesty say I had a my kind of guy. I'm not sure I've ever read any stories about him; are they in BOTC #2? Because that's the one I don't have (- and #6, of course)...

Trollbabe

Body hair? You must be a big fan of Robin Williams.

innie

I really love this picture. Sorry it's so big

elf_queen_vik

Here is a pik of Timmorn with Valloa/Murrel cuddled up next to him.
[img:39c2932dd5]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/elf_queen/icons/timmornmurrel.jpg[/img:39c2932dd5]
I love this pik.

Nightsea

[img:0752efa78c]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/Night_sea/timmorninsnowframe.gif[/img:0752efa78c]

Full sized:[img:0752efa78c]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/Night_sea/Timmornsmountainview.jpg[/img:0752efa78c]

Snowy nights,
--Nightsea

MichaelChandler

Chree Cheers for TIMMORN YELLOW EYES, THE FIRST EVA WOLFRIDER

Tam_wolfrider

I love Timmorn, he's so freaking cool. ( I also like the fact that hes a deep copper color^^.)

elf_queen_vik

another image of Timmorn & Valloa

[img:7eaa7e9b42]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/elf_queen/ty.jpg[/img:7eaa7e9b42]

elf_queen_vik

either I am going nuts or I realised a simalarity in Turkish and Mongolian mythology. "A small village in present-day Mongolia was massacred by Chinese soldiers, but one small baby was left behind. An old she-wolf with a sky-blue mane named Asena found the baby and nursed him, then the she-wolf gave birth to half-wolf, half-human cubs" Aslo in Turkic legend some Tuks where to have said to "Walck and run with the wolves." Wolves are a big symbol in Turkic myth. "Asena is the wolf mother of Bumen, the first Khan of the Göktürks." It just makes me think of Timmian and Timmorn.

Nightsea

Yeah, his coloring is nice. I always wondered why
Wendy didn't color more of the wolfpack in his shade.

Makes the wolves of the World of Two Moons more unique.

Oh, in the image below, I couldn't help it giving him the
cat-like eyes...
just happened when I imagined him. Of course I seldom
manage to have a reference image handy when I play on
the computer to make EQ art...so these little differences
just pop out of my head.

[img:69fc75d1c5]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/Night_sea/1stforestborn.jpg[/img:69fc75d1c5]

*shrug*
--Nightsea

Embala

Timmorn - the first and only

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Embala

The whole calendar pic at one sight - Lovemates

Willowspring

well hed keep your feet warm in the winter time :D

Anarane

I am curious, was Murrell an immortal elf? Cause from what I learned Timmorn was the first wolf blooded elf before any other elves got wolf blood in them, so did that mean the other elves were full blooded until later? Just wondering cause I noticed some of them were even short before they got wolf blood in them so just like the sun villagers their genes, or whatever, changed so they could survive better. Or maybe I am completely wrong, lol. I just know there were tall immortals around the wolfriders, which is why some wolfriders have more elf blood in them then others. Though I do wonder what happened to these pure bloods since they were immortal? Then they just leave or die? Kind of sad if they died.

Apogee

Generations of immortal elves still became shorter and more squat, because of the gravity of the world and lack of magic to counter it.

The Wolfriders, for their entire first generations, were mostly immortal, pure blooded elves. Once Timmorn started breeding with the ladies, obviously those were the wolf-blooded generation, who - probably because of the limited gene pool - bred with the last pure bloodeds over time.

Kyri2015

Thinking of Timmorn takes me back reading the first novel: Elfquest Blood of Ten Chiefs Vol. 1.

The cover is pretty cool and so is the stories in it. Wink

Anarane

Yea, I figured they started to become shorter like the Sun Villagers did, cause I know it just wasn't because they had wolf blood in them, because then how would you explain the Sun Villagers being short? So I am correct I guess in believing that Murrell was a pure blooded. Wow, that must have been weird for her to mate with an elf that was half wolf, almost sick for some I am sure. But when recognition hits you there is no choice. But I still wonder what happened to all the pure bloods, cause they are obviously not around anymore by the time we meet the wolfriders. Maybe they left or died off, which is a shame. But Wolfriders are definitely mortal and do die from old age cause thats proved with Rainsong and her family. But thanks for the response Apogee. ^_^

Nightsea

Apogee

Quote:
Anarane

But I still wonder what happened to all the pure bloods, cause they are obviously not around anymore by the time we meet the wolfriders.

Well, remember that the first-comers hardly had children at all - they had existed for thousands and thousands of years already. Timmain had existed for who KNOWS how long before, and I get the feeling from her explanations in the last issue of the OQ that she was among the last born (probably not THE last, but among the last 'generation' of her people).

So Recognition coming to the full-blooded elves was a very big change.

Timmain paired up with a wolf - and wolves have litters. I think that this would mean that half-blooded wolf elves would stand a greater chance of having offspring *at all*, and being able to sustain their children better by being part of the world.

While the full-blooded elves in other locations certainly didn't die out, they've never been prosperous (and I'm excluding the Gobacks, as they have ties to the wolfriders and an entirely different lifestyle).

From what the comics show, it's taken 10 thousand years for there to be:

** 17 wolfrider survivors (at the start of the quest)
** Around 30-ish Sun Villagers (and I'm being generous)
** Around 30-50 Blue Mountain folk (who knows how many, maybe not even that many)
** Possibly 50+ gobacks
** An indeterminate but possible 20-30 Wave-dancers

..... That's not much. Elves just don't reproduce very well, so by mixing the wolf-blood Timmain at least ensured that her descendants would be suited to life on the planet.

If she'd had more half-blooded offspring, I suspect that the Wolfriders would have been way more prosperous on the planet. In that regard, at least of bearing more children and being successful at living, the elf-blood *dilutes* that ability.

Thornbrake

Some fan art of Timmorn I did back in 1988 when I was 13.

Startear

Wow, awesome artwork Thornbrake! I couldn't draw that well at that age.

As for the character... he didn't take up my mind before I read the first issue of Blood of Ten chiefs. The starsong/wolfsong part really took me.

And since we know fairly little, it makes him even more interesting.

WolfMoonSky

Awesome Thornbrake!! and at that age OMG!! Clap

Embala

Timmorn looks impressive ... as are your skills at this young age, Thornbrake.

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Embala

Let's see what will show

Quote:

Here is a pik of Timmorn with Valloa/Murrel cuddled up next to him.

I love this pik.

Quote:

Full sized:

Snowy nights,
--Nightsea

Quote:

Yeah, his coloring is nice. I always wondered why Wendy didn't color more of the wolfpack in his shade.

Makes the wolves of the World of Two Moons more unique.

Oh, in the image below, I couldn't help it giving him the cat-like eyes... just happened when I imagined him. Of course I seldom manage to have a reference image handy when I play on the computer to make EQ art...so these little differences just pop out of my head.

*shrug*
--Nightsea

Allura

My fav chief.

Embala

Timmorn is downright gorgeous! I love his pose, the expression - he looks the most passionate for me , the fur - again ... how it's actually growing from his skin, and last not least the alien-scary hands and feet.

Ah well, the feet - bit too much of a good thing there Wink You have heard a dozen times for sure that he has too many toes.

Allura

Oh, yes. Before the year ate the old stuff, I certainly heard about the toes. Lol. Honestly, though, before that, I had never noticed. Sad, since he's my favorite.

Allura

And then there's my commission of him. Worth every penny.

(Please post nowhere outside the forums)

Embala

OMG ... no matter how often I'm spotting one of them on the Scroll it's a true treat!

Downright gorgeous ... Wendy has made him equally wild and pettable in this picture. No doubt that he is worth the money.

Easter EggQuest 2012 reserved for Allura found

Allura

He has hung on a wall in my room since I got him in the mail and bought a frame for him. So proud of that thing.

I love his ears.

travelbug

Hope it is ok to post this here.
I was drawing with the kids yesterday :)

Heather

Absolutely lovely! Very glad you posted it here!

Embala

@travelbug More than OK - very welcome! Timmorn turned out wonderfully ... starsong has taken over for this moment. Soft calm features and capturing eyes. I love the flaming orange/red fur - strong and lively.
You've used color pencils, travelbug? I' like old-fashioned hand coloring.

lunakat

Someone was asking in another thread why the Wolfrider wolves have three toes- while Lehrin... whateverhisnameis... the old guy who hooked up with Krim in the last issue to go kamikaze on the Djun's men... anyways... while his dog and some other wolves seem to have four toes. I always figured it was because the Wolfrider wolves were descended from Timmorn... and, like the elves, he only had three fingers and a thumb. On the feet, that translates to three toes and a dew-claw.

lunakat

lovely pictures in this thread!

travelbug

Thank you all :D
He came out more like a high one, than I ment to, but sometimes the drawing creates it self in a way.

I prefer color pencils, Embala. Its always been my favourite. I find it easier to control.
I haven't tried to draw the digital way. I admire those who master it :)

Embala

travelbug said: ...but sometimes the drawing creates it self in a way.
Indeed! And it fits Timmorn well.
Most of his life he was torn between Wolfsong and Starsong. When the Wolfsong dominated he was wild and instinct driven and much like a wolf. When Starstong dominated he was closer to the elves in behavior and look. I figured that he had minor shapeshifting abilities which he used unconciously to adjust his appearance to his mindset.

travelbug said: I admire those who master it
I like both - and admire those who are really MASTERLY in digital drawing and coloring. But the rarer traditional drawing and coloring becomes the more I appreciate it.

travelbug

I think it is written somewhere in Blood of ten chiefs that he had some shapeshifting magic inherited from Timmain.

Its been a long time since I did some drawing, but now I actually feel like getting my proper colorpencils out :)
I'm probably analouge forever, I think.

Tam

I've only recently started getting back into drawing and made the switch to digital...at least that way, I can share my art with others. :) (no scanner!) It's...definitely different. I sometimes miss being able to change how a line is drawn by how I hold the pencil, and it sucks that sometimes your "paper" runs out of batteries. XD But digital has perks too, thankfully!

@travelbug, you should definitely get out your pencils and draw more! :)

Embala

Tam said: you should definitely get out your pencils and draw more!
I second this!

RichardPini

travelbug said: I think it is written somewhere in Blood of ten chiefs that he had some shapeshifting magic inherited from Timmain.

Janine Johnston did a masterful job of adding the visual dimension to the story "Colors" that I wrote for the first BoTC anthology. She showed the differences in Timmorn's aspect from one mood to the next.

lunakat

You wrote that story? I loved that story!

RichardPini

lunakat said: You wrote that story?

Um...
(Where's the "suddenly feeling invisible" emoji?)

tc01-1

lunakat

I read the Blood of Ten Chiefs stories as comics maybe once, briefly. I did like the use of watercolors in these illustrations, because I felt it helped express the fluidity of Timmorn's identity and perspective as it was described. But honestly... the comic was okay. But I loved the prose short story.

I re-read all of the Blood of Ten Chiefs prose stories in that first collection multiple times- I thought they were great! But I was especially fond of this one, because it seemed so unique. As the comic book versions went... something got lost. This is going to make me sound like a jerk, but I think the art in that series was hit and miss. This was one of the ones that held up- because of the watercolors (which are lovely). But... I didn't pay the same close attention as I did to the short stories.

Remembering who wrote which story-- well that got a little mixed up in my memory over time. I read them years ago. But the stories themselves really stand out. I liked how each author took a chief and an era and followed up with the same characters in subsequent collections. It was so much fun. I know that you also wrote the interstitials. Those were great too! I wanted more of those.

RichardPini

lunakat said: This is going to make me sound like a jerk...

Don't limit yourself to just this. (Sorry, that was just too good a hand-off to resist!) :D

lunakat said: ...but I think the art in that series was hit and miss.

The art was hit and miss. I'll be the first to admit that freely. For anyone (and that's many of you) who got used to seeing Elfquest art done solely by Wendy (beyond which there is no whicher) any other artist was doomed to disappoint. Some of the criticism during Warp's tenure was fair; some was not. I'm still proud of the entirety.

lunakat

Oooh- score.

Okay- I'm going to disagree with you, Richard. I don't think "any other art was doomed to disappoint." I am an artist. I make art for a living- granted, I make game art right now, not comics... but I know a lot of very talented artists. They are all capable of working in collaboration on projects- like animated shows, video games, children's books, consumer products, etc- and maintaining a consistent look. And Wendy designed her characters very well. It's not that difficult to draw them on model. I think you had a series of sub-par artists.

That said... if the artists had been really competent in that series, I think it would have been a wonderful thing to have all these different styles drawing the BoTC series. It would have been the visual equivalent of the short story collections. You had some really good writers for that. I sort of wish the same had been true of the comic adaptations- because the basic story-lines were great!

lunakat

PS- of course you should be proud of the entirety. Overall, Elfquest is a great product. I think it qualifies as one of the most successful independent comics of all time- right?

RichardPini

lunakat said: Okay- I'm going to disagree with you, Richard.

Now there's a surprise... ;)

lunakat said: And Wendy designed her characters very well. It's not that difficult to draw them on model. I think you had a series of sub-par artists.

I'm not going to touch this, because I have my feelings about each artist we worked with, and those are for me alone, and you have yours, and everyone has theirs. I am however going to but you two buts. Number one: For whatever reason, it is that difficult to draw the EQ elves on Wendy's model. We were happy to find some artists who came close a lot of the time. But "on model" the way any top animation house would require to be able to work there? We're still looking. Number two: Having heard for as long as we have (we're talking decades here), the unapologetic, almost proudly defiant refrain of "If it ain't Wendy I'm not interested" I'm going to stick to my original contention that for some unknown (but loud) contingent of EQ fans, indeed "any other art was doomed to disappoint." (Their loss, says I, but that's nonetheless what they tell us, to our faces, to this day.)

Diana

RichardPini said: for some unknown (but loud) contingent of EQ fans, indeed "any other art was doomed to disappoint."

Let's step out of the unknown here ;) I admit to be one of those fans. However, there are exceptions. Some of my favourites are the first issue of BoTC with Timmorn, the Rayek spin-off series and the collaboration between Wendy and John Byrne where Cutter and Rayek duke it out. Also Ascent and Reunion mark pretty high on my list when talking about other artists, mainly because of some beautiful depictions of Aroree (the 'even outmaneuvers the raindrops'-scene and other very elegant imagery).

In those cases, either the drawing style was very different from Wendy's, instead of trying to mimic her as closely as possible (BoTC, Rayek) or very close (Ascent, Reunion) or a bit of both (Wendy / John collaboration).

I realize I'm a bit of a grumbler sometimes, also when it comes to TFQ. Some people handle change well, I don't. Having been spoiled since teenhood with gorgeous Wendy-art, even if I had to bend over backwards to get it imported, certainly makes it more difficult for me to adapt. For what it's worth, I do realize this and my childhood love for the series means that I'll follow it all the way. You never know, I might even get used to change...

travelbug

I think I will buy that issue with Timmorn of ebay to read it in color.
I have the readers collection in black and white, and I think art will be better in color.

It is my personal opinion that watercolors like that is the most dificult way of painting, so well done to the artist :)

lunakat

RichardPini said: But "on model" the way any top animation house would require to be able to work there? We're still looking.

I can do it. I couldn't a year ago- but I can definitely do it now. Any single character you want. In any pose. I'm no good at painting though.

Mkal

I think that it was more the style was not in synch with the wonderful story. It was good art, but it just didn't mesh well with the written words.

Tam

Heh...depends on which story you're talking about. ;) I'm with Diana, there are definitely some artists that have made me grumbly with their handling of Elfquest...and some of the art didn't just fail to mesh, but was legitimately terrible.

travelbug

I really like the the ones in Rouges Challenge where Paul Abrams did pencils and Charles Barnett did the ink and Paty did colors :)

RedheadEmber

RichardPini said: . Number two: Having heard for as long as we have (we're talking decades here), the unapologetic, almost proudly defiant refrain of "If it ain't Wendy I'm not interested" I'm going to stick to my original contention that for some unknown (but loud) contingent of EQ fans, indeed "any other art was doomed to disappoint." (Their loss, says I, but that's nonetheless what they tell us, to our faces, to this day.)

My worst experience with other-than-Wendy art was the first few issues of the HY stories following Ember's half of the tribe.

However, the art improved drastically throughout the story, so that by the end it's actually rather pretty.

lunakat

I actually liked a lot of the Wild Hunt art. It was very different from how Wendy draws- but the artist had a distinct style and made the characters her own. It was interesting.
Specifically, I liked the shaded pages:

http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/WH/_ElfQuest%20-%20Wild%20Hunt_page=1#_120#

RedheadEmber

I think what bugged me about HY16 was the in-the-middle-of-a-storyline artshift. In HY15 it was Wendy, and then CAM! PIM! POUWW! Different artist.

On the other hand; I quite like the art-style of those BoTC comics; gives the feel of being something from a 'distant past'. Which I guess, if you think about it, the OQ, SaBM and first parts of KoBW are as well.

Tam

It's the latter parts of Wavedancers that are my least favorite. The art is fine in parts, but it feels like the artist rushed through a lot of it. I feel the same way about Jeff Zugale's parts of Wolfrider And to have those issues RIGHT in the middle of the rest of this fantastic art, it's pretty jarring...but again, I think if the artist for those had slowed down a bit, it would have been better. Some of the panels are really lovely. But a lot of it isn't. :/

On the other hand? I would totally take more Paul Abrams, who worked on Shards (see Scouter and Tyleet's Recognition!). Brandon McKinney seems touch and go...the team that did The Phantom of the Berry Patch (in BotC) is really fantastic, but First Step is a bit meh (that's the example @RedheadEmber posted, from Legacy)...it gets better, thankfully. We have to remember that it's not always just one artist working on these issues. I'd CERTAINLY take more Sonny. ;)

RichardPini

lunakat said: I can do it. I couldn't a year ago- but I can definitely do it now. Any single character you want. In any pose.

Fair enough. But it's one thing to do a single drawing. We see decent portraits all the time. Can you do it panel after panel, page after page, with said character going through a range of motion and another range of facial expression, issue after issue, month after month and meet a deadline every time?

lunakat

Point taken. Yes. But it would have to be my primary job.

lunakat

Otherwise the deadlines would be tricky. Depends on how much time and work there is between deadlines.

lunakat

But honestly... that kind of thing is my job. I think it's the sort of thing that, if you are a professional, you should be able to do. It's like asking a professional musician- "but can you play this well and at a given time every night?" Uh- they really ought to be able to. I can't, because I'm not a musician. But if I were and I were being a professional- then I should be able to do that. Right? Like... if you are going to be a guitarist or bass player for Duran Duran, you can't be all "hey- I'm going to hit the notes this time- but tomorrow night I might play slightly different notes at a slightly different pace, just because it's kind of hard to hit those. But whether I do or not will be completely erratic." Nah! No way! And no, not everybody can do it, but if you are trained and it's your job- you should be able to do it.

RichardPini

lunakat said: And no, not everybody can do it, but if you are trained and it's your job- you should be able to do it.

Can't argue that. Me, I simply chalk it up to "no one can do it the way Wendy does" and let it go at that. It's been the blessing and the curse of EQ from the start. But it sure does leave behind an unassailable legacy.

lunakat

Can't argue that. Me, I simply chalk it up to "no one can do it the way Wendy does" and let it go at that. It's been the blessing and the curse of EQ from the start. But it sure does leave behind an unassailable legacy.

I agree with that statement. Nobody can do it the way Wendy does. Because she has a certain way she approaches a layout or handles line weight, etc. And her style is uniquely hers. But that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't be able to do it well, and to approximate to the extent that the characters look like they belong in the same world that Wendy created. But even then, it's true, it won't be Wendy's work- because no one else is her. :)

And you know... even if someone else did manage to nail the style and the characters and everything else that makes Elfquest what it is... her legacy would still be unassailable, because that is her creation and she conceived it in all it's originality. It's one thing to copy a style- it's another to create a style. Being able to copy how Wendy draws doesn't in least way compete with being the original creator of that look and feel. She will always have that legacy, no matter what. ;)

RedheadEmber

I don't think anyone should try to do it like Wendy does. It would just be... it wouldn't work.
Better that each artist gives the characters their own unique feels, but without changing major features. I don't think giving Cutter a mohawk would be a good idea. B-)

Stefan

I liked the artists that had their own style, like Blevins.. especially his non inked art at the end of his run. I would love for him to have his own series of eq again one day..
Also i loved Delfin Barral on the Rebels (especially when the issues went back to B&W) I do have to say i didn't like his ( Delfin Barral's) work on BOTC at all..
Liked Mckinney's art most of the time.. that is until it went black and white. His first couple of issues of shards were amazing, the inking on it was softer.. But all in all i enjoyed his style. His Roque's curse was not his best though.
I think there's just one artist i really didn't like. Won't mention him though, think there's enough written about him.

But i love it for Steve Blevins to have another go at an EQ story.. In his non-inked, highly detailed style.

Also @ Tam, Paul Abrams did HY 10 (that issue was the start of the shards storyline) only.. After that it was Mckinney..I didn't really like Paul Abram's style all that much.. he was trying too hard to emulate Wendy. McKinney drew Tyleet/Scouter's recogn.

Tam

@Stefan, how can you tell? Not that I doubt you, but my issues of the B&W Readers' Collection don't tell me who the artist is on particular issues...I assumed it was Paul Abrams because that was the only issue that listed the artist. McKinney and a few others are mentioned on the back, but just as names.

Stefan

I have the single issues as well.. And if you look carefully at the art itself it's noticable ;)

Tam

They look similar enough to me. :p But I can't put them side by side to compare, so I'll take your word for it.

Thornbrake

Tam said: They look similar enough to me. :p But I can't put them side by side to compare, so I'll take your word for it.

@Stefan's correct. I do think that the difference is pretty subtle, but it's definitely there. Look at the difference in the fingers and fingernails, for example.

Stefan

In the first issue of mcKinney, his style did look similar to Paul's.. I do think (i'm not sure though) that they had the same inker.. But by McKinney's second issue the difference became more obvious

Tam

Yeah, paging through, it's easier to see the difference at the end of the book/the later issues.

Rob

For me, Abrams seemed to more confidently capture characters' character but had trouble with certain compositional things, while McKinney was more consistent throughout, but maybe a little less expressive. Both good!

lunakat

To me it just looks like they didn't understand character structure and anatomy.

Diana

lunakat said:
To me it just looks like they didn't understand character structure and anatomy.

Heheh, I'm not an artist by a long shot, but anatomy in Elfquest is a bit tricky anyways. I remember in OQ, there were character depictions on the back of the comics. I remember that Strongbow and Moonshade had unnervingly long shins...

Stefan

I wish i could see Abram's uninked work on EQ.. Perhaps the inker made the lines look 'hard' and less organic/soft. A bit like what happened in Siege. The inking was quite 'hard and sharp' as well..Less organic than Wendy's inking.

RedheadEmber

Dunno who drew this, but I'm starting to get a feeling Timmorn isn't all-too-pleased that we're hijacking his thread.

One thing I'd like to know more about is his relationship with Murrel/Valloa/New Wolf. Judging by the Lovemates Calender they clearly loved each other, and the big Picture seem to indicate that he was rather protective of her.

Stefan

Wendy did, in the Original quest.

RedheadEmber

Oh. Cool. B-)

Embala

That's the picture text going with the Lovemates calender.

First of the elves to "recognize" as body- and soulmates on this prehistoric planet, their cendants will be true wolfriders. But of this strange pair, which is the beauty and which the innocent, untamed beast?

For the further relationship between those two ... I hope some reader of the BotC novelizations will enlighten us.

travelbug

From the top of my head, without re-reading:
Timmorn and Valloa/Murrel recognized during a hunt, where she was hurt by a longtooth cat.
They recognized two times and had Laststar first and then Rahnee the She-wolf.
The daughters looked very much alike as if Timmorn and Murrel made two versions of the same daughter with silver hair and purple eyes.

Embala

Thank you, travelbug! :)

lunakat

Diana said: Heheh, I'm not an artist by a long shot, but anatomy in Elfquest is a bit tricky anyways.

It's actually not- because Wendy drew in an animation style. All of her characters are based on solid shapes and have pretty clear, distinctive, features- with clean contour lines. It wasn't as if she was painting them realistically or drawing in a sketchy style that was hard to emulate or was pulling some Prince Valiant type character art. She designed them very well. And a well designed character has basic understructure that another artist should be able to figure out. I'm sorry- but these people did not draw well. They just didn't. It's actually been driving me nuts for years!! Similarly- their styles didn't change toward the end of the book- they just figured out a way to consistently draw the characters. I don't know why the Pinis didn't have better artists helping them. Maybe it was too expensive- or maybe there just wasn't internet around to seek out Elfquest loving geek professionals who would give it there all at the time.

It mostly sounds to me like these were the people they tested who could both draw the best and meet the deadlines. Meeting a deadline is no small thing. So kudos to them.

Stefan said: Perhaps the inker made the lines look 'hard' and less organic/soft. A bit like what happened in Siege. The inking was quite 'hard and sharp' as well..Less organic than Wendy's inking.

Hey- I knew him years ago. I remember not liking the inking on Seige when it first came out- when I was a kid. But later, as an adult, I actually really did like it a lot. It wasn't as clean as Wendy's inking. For example, sometimes lines didn't fully connect. It was a lot sketchier. But I thought that fit the story. The storyline was rough and chaotic- and the linework emphasize that. It wasn't bad, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

RedheadEmber said: Dunno who drew this, but I'm starting to get a feeling Timmorn isn't all-too-pleased that we're hijacking his thread.

I totally agree! Sorry for the hijiack!

Okay-- what does this mean?
Embala said: First of the elves to "recognize" as body- and soulmates on this prehistoric planet, their cendants will be true wolfriders. But of this strange pair, which is the beauty and which the innocent, untamed beast?

I don't get it!

Embala

Embala said: That's the picture text going with the Lovemates calender.
What the line sais, lunakat - it is the "picture text" in the Lovemates calender.

Each calender pic was going with some lines of description, characterization ... sorry, don't find the right vocabulary.

RedheadEmber

That they were the first 'Recognized Pair'...

lunakat

Oh I see! I misread the text. I didn't realize the word was descendants at first. For some crazy reason, I read that as "predecessors".

This is one of my favorite images in all of Elfquest. I would frame it and hang it on my wall if I could.

lunakat

I really love how Timmorn's story ended. I love how and why he chose not to be an elf. That he considered being a wolf to be a better state of mind. I think that is one of the shortcomings we have as human beings- not being able to value animal mentality- or see the value in an animal understanding an experience of the world.

RedheadEmber

Allow me to be "argumenting Redhead" here for a sec.
Maybe it wasn't so much a case of him choosing to be a wolf/not to be an elf as it was a case of him choosing to be Timmorn.
Perhaps he simply did what he great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson would eventually do many years later, and went "I'll be what I'll be."

Embala

I love this point of view, Red!

travelbug

Red, I read the story that way to :)

lunakat

But he was also choosing not to be an elf and to be a wolf- wasn't he? I mean- he had the shaping magic from his mom- and it was pulling him sometimes toward elf and sometimes toward wolf. He was going nuts. She helped him. He woke up, mentally, a wolf.

lunakat

I do also like Red's interpretation- it's got a good feel to it. I'm just not sure that's how the story went. Does anyone remember?

RedheadEmber

Dunno if this link works, last page of BoTC #1:

http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/TC/TC01/_Blood of Ten Chiefs - 1_page=1#_27#

His final words are:

I am Timmorn. I am here. And I am now.

lunakat

It's in the story Colors - in Wolfsong:
elfquest.com/forums/discussion/7219/wolfsong

lunakat

I couldn't find the text online, but it ends with Timmorn having to chose between being an elf or being a wolf. He's too on the edge to be stable.

Here's the text to the first story, written by Richard Pini, about Timmorn recognizing. You can see in this story that he is very torn between his two natures and doesn't understand how or why:

e-reading.ws/chapter.php/127256/2/Asprin,_Abbey,_Pini_-_The_Blood_Of_Ten_Chiefs.html

NEXT PAGE