ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Kimo Selfshaper

JadeOwl

He took on the task of learning to do something that none but then Firstcomers had done before, and learn it he did.

A faithful companion to Shuna, and a faithful lover to Dart.

Loving son of the elfiest elf, student of the Mother of Wolfriders.

Kimo fully deserves a thread.

Let him never be 'too slow' again.

joselle

Yeah that broke my heart. Especially since, for a main-ish character we know so little about his fallen father. I know there's tons of speculation, but I feel like it's about time that we knew!!

emerald

I love the two avis I did of him. They are soo cute! *cuddles avis*

Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

dewshine_lover_1

Those are cute avies...and yes..i wish we knew more about alot of elves that only had small to barely any part. I know it would be next to impossible to do a bio on every elf and their family, considering how many elves there are..but at least the ones that have been mentioned..or that people request.

Tavestry

What is Kimo's threading doing back here on page 2? ACK!

*commence fan girling*

I missed that whole forevergreen story so I don't know much about that but I did read SatS and I fell completely in love with sweet, gentle and wise Kimo. He's a wonderful and well rounded elf and a perfect companion to Dart. They seem so happy and at peace with each other.

If I ever get a dog, I'll name him Kimo, in this sweetheart's honor.

Fourleafclover

Kimo certainly seems to have taken after his mother, personality wise....

callidora

Kimo's just a little darling. Yes, he fully deserves his own thread and tons of fangirling. Like Tav, I never really read the Forevergreen arch, but I did read SatS. Kimo's adorable, sweet, and has some wicked magic going for him. I'd love to see him expand his selfshaping abilities beyond just shaping into a wolf.

Kitt

[color=green:47082f616c]He is like his Mama...or his Papa :? Too bad we don't know ANYTHING about him :([/color:47082f616c]

callidora

I would love to learn more about his father, to see where he came from, where he got his personality, his caring, his nature...not all if it came from Newstar.

tasmonia

Hmm....I had used the search function but didnt' find this thread.

Anyway, here's what I wrote in another one:

How is it that Kimo has such strong powers? Is there any explanation given in the comics so far? I foolishly forgot SatS when I moved halfway across the country, so I have no reference. Perhaps the blood in Newstar's line is more powerful than we think, though the magic users in her family haven't been outstanding. This could be a clue to Lutei's background, too. I thought that shape-shifting was one of the most difficult and revered of magic powers in the Elfquest world--we've only seen it in Timmain so far. Everyone else has been a body-shaping healer. How did Kimo come by such a special magic?

Thoughts?

--LM

innie

I don't know why he has such great powers, but there are a couple of healers related to him, and maybe the influence of the palace and Timmain's teachings made it possible for his gift to blossom. Maybe there have been other elves in whom the gift slumbered, but not strong enough to show. And we know that somehow, all the elves have a tiny bit of shapeshifting powers in them.
It's been 20,000 years since there last was a real shapeshifter, there had to be someone with the same powers some day.
But I had liked to see more of how the other elves thought of Kimo's powers. Nobody seemed surprised he even had the power. It is pretty damn rare.

JadeOwl

I think it's because of Rainsong. Her "magic" was in the chiildren she had, the quantity and the quality. (sound horribly impersonal doesn't it? Wink)

Newstar's brother Mender is a strong healer, her grandfather was a healer, and now her son is a shapechanger. The only ones of her family that don't have magic are her mother, herself, and her brother Wing (who we know next to nothing about).

So yeah, I agree with Innie in that it's in his blood. But this is just speculation, it never says anything about it in the books.

krwordgazer

It seems possible to me that, with the Palace right there, any elf could learn to self-shape if they wanted. Or possibly any of the other magics as well. I got the impression that Kimo became a self-shaper because he wanted to learn-- so he just went and asked Timmain, and she taught him. Do you suppose she could teach any elf who asked her? I think she probably could!

Lady_Door

who says Newstar doesn't have any powers? We just don't know what they are yet. Grin

innie

Quote:
krwordgazer

It seems possible to me that, with the Palace right there, any elf could learn to self-shape if they wanted. Or possibly any of the other magics as well. I got the impression that Kimo became a self-shaper because he wanted to learn-- so he just went and asked Timmain, and she taught him. Do you suppose she could teach any elf who asked her? I think she probably could!

It has to take more than that. I know that basically all the elves have some shapeshifting power, but I don't think that every elf can become as powerful.
The Highones originally possessed all powers, but were specialized in certain powers. Maybe at one point, they were all healers or rockshapers or whatever.
I think the palace can influence a lot, and that Timmain is a great teacher, but that it's still matter of skills.
In Kotbw, the elves experience the influence of the palace. Zhantee learns he has a protecting shield, Redlance sees the marks clearer, Cutter becomes faster,...
But I don't think that all the elves can become healers, or rockshapers,... at this point.
It's possible, but why don't more elves try to master some power? Aren't they interested in it, or are certain elves already learning?
But eventually, the elves could become as powerful as the Highones were. And maybe they can already master those powers nowadays, but I'd like to see more of that learning process if that's the case.

tasmonia

Quote:
Jade Owl

Newstar's brother Mender is a strong healer, her grandfather was a healer, and now her son is a shapechanger. The only ones of her family that don't have magic are her mother, herself, and her brother Wing (who we know next to nothing about).

But it seems like Mender isn't anywhere near as strong a healer as Winnowill or Leetah, though he is defintely more powerful than Rain. Do you think that's just a factor of age...he hasn't learned to use his powers yet? Or is it his lineage? Or both...sort of a genotype x environment interaction?

Anyway, I'm curious how much of the elves' powers are determined by their will to master them and years of practice. Clearly Rayek's powers were very much tied to his iron will and Ekuar's teaching. Thoughts?

--LM

Windrider

Quote:
krwordgazer

It seems possible to me that, with the Palace right there, any elf could learn to self-shape if they wanted.

We know very little about the High Ones, really, but it is fairly clear that before coming within Abode's magic-dulling aura, there were certain magics that were a given for their species - a baseline, if you will, that specialty magics were added to.

There may be others, but we know with some certainty that all High Ones could:
1. Send
2. Glide
3. Shapechange

If the genetics still hold true for our current elves, it boggles the mind to think what powers will pop up if the Palace leaves Abode's aura. With enough time spent in the Palace, wouldn't those powers again become standard for their species?

It is my feeling (and I mean that it is not based on any conversation I've had with Wendy), that shapechanging is a less involved version of what Timmain did when she became a wolf. Shapechanging is just that; changing one's outer shell - something all High Ones did as they visited different planets (Timmain says we shaped ourselves to look like the creatures we met). But Timmain (the self-shaper) became a wolf (CoBM: Timmain became one with the great provider forest). Obviously a related skill, but on a much deeper level.

If Kimo just takes on the shape of a wolf, then he is just relearning a skill all High Ones once possessed. It shouldn't be that surprising with the Palace around. Maybe we just haven't been shown that some of the Sun Folk are also showing signs of the High One's old powers (other than shaping the Palace).

Giviyah

Kimo is one of my favourites. :) I like how he chose his own path, learning one of the old powers from Timmain. I especially like his relationship with Dart. I hope that if he recognizes, he can have a three-mating. :twisted:

Giviyah

JadeOwl

Quote:
tasmonia

[quote:bfe4fe602d="Jade Owl"]

But it seems like Mender isn't anywhere near as strong a healer as Winnowill or Leetah, though he is defintely more powerful than Rain. Do you think that's just a factor of age...he hasn't learned to use his powers yet? Or is it his lineage? Or both...sort of a genotype x environment interaction?

Anyway, I'm curious how much of the elves' powers are determined by their will to master them and years of practice. Clearly Rayek's powers were very much tied to his iron will and Ekuar's teaching. Thoughts?

--LM[/quote:bfe4fe602d]

Well, Winnowill was a Firstborn (at least we're pretty sure she was) and Leetah's just incredibly strong. I get the feeling also that Mender wasn't needed much as a healer in the Sun Village as Leetah...there was no Rayek to get hurt all the time. Seems to me that he's improved since living with the Wolfriders. After all, he healed himself back from the brink of death in Shards. It reminds me of the time in that Hidden Years thing where Leetah steals Rayek's knife and cuts herself so that she can come fully into her power...Did Rain ever almost die? We never see it - maybe if he had, he'd have been more powerful.

About the teaching thing - Yes, Rayek wouldn't have been nearly as powerful if he had not met Ekuar - because he might not have had a reason to push himself to learn. Though we don't see it, I assume Leetah was taught by Savah at least some. Kimo has a High One herself for a teacher - plus his own natural drive to learn. I'm sure that had something to do with how powerful he is.

As for Winnie - She's the odd one out. We never see her being taught or learning from anyone, as far as Healing is concerned, yet she's one of the most powerful - probably THE most powerful - healer in the EQ saga. However, she seemed afraid to stop healing. Perhaps her powers would have declined if she had. You know what they say: Practice, practice, practice.

Just my two cents.

innie

[quote:f1e6b367e7]I get the feeling also that Mender wasn't needed much as a healer in the Sun Village as Leetah...there was no Rayek to get hurt all the time. Seems to me that he's improved since living with the Wolfriders. After all, he healed himself back from the brink of death in Shards. It reminds me of the time in that Hidden Years thing where Leetah steals Rayek's knife and cuts herself so that she can come fully into her power...Did Rain ever almost die? We never see it - maybe if he had, he'd have been more powerful. [/quote:f1e6b367e7]

I think Mender was needed more than Leetah was in the Sunvillage. Leetah had a Rayek, but Mender had a bunch of Jackwolfriders. Mender also had Savah as a teacher, and was under the influence of the little palace. There had been a war in the Sunvillage against the Go-Backs, but he couldn't heal everyone. His powers were too limited.
But remember that Leetah went through the same after the first palace war, and the incident with One-Eye. She couldn't heal all the wounded elves, there were too many.
She too had to learn in order to get stronger.

I think it's normal that they don't have the same amount of power. Everybody can draw. But only some are gifted. Practising makes better, but no matter how much you practise, it's possible you'll never get near that great artist you admire.

The_Wylde_Wynd

[quote:6a8010df16="Giviyah"]I hope that if he recognizes, he can have a three-mating. :twisted:[/quote:6a8010df16]

I think it would be cooler if Kimo recognized, but didn't life-mate with whoever it was. That way we still have unsullied Dart/Kimo, which is one of the cutest pairings on Abode, and they have a baby all their own!

btw, does anyone know when Kimo was born?

Fourleafclover

[quote:7cd673aa6e="The_Wylde_Wynd"]That way we still have unsullied Dart/Kimo, which is one of the cutest pairings on Abode[/quote:7cd673aa6e]

Aw.... Unhappy That beautiful pairing was sullied for me when Elfmom said that they weren't lovemates or in a committed relationship. I guess they're just friends ala' Cutter and Skywise.

Yup..... just.... really.... good.... friends....

(Hopes Elfmom takes it back one day.) :awww:

The_Wylde_Wynd

[quote:cf6d5a7b46="Fourleafclover"]Aw.... Unhappy That beautiful pairing was sullied for me when Elfmom said that they weren't lovemates or in a committed relationship.[/quote:cf6d5a7b46]

I resufe to beleive it. There is no way those two aren't in love.

JadeOwl

I agree...and anyway, even if in comic-verse they aren't, they CERTAINLY are in the minds and hearts of the fans. (However, in some of the minds of the fans, Rayek is a girl, so that's not saying much). Grin

The_Wylde_Wynd

Very true. Grin

Eque

ow! to much I want to reply on... let me see... the first thing...

[quote]It is my feeling (and I mean that it is not based on any conversation I've had with Wendy), that shapechanging is a less involved version of what Timmain did when she became a wolf. Shapechanging is just that; changing one's outer shell - something all High Ones did as they visited different planets (Timmain says we shaped ourselves to look like the creatures we met). But Timmain (the self-shaper) became a wolf (CoBM: Timmain became one with the great provider forest). Obviously a related skill, but on a much deeper level.[quote]

This explain why Timmain got a half wolf child... But not why all the elves look the way they do! If the high ones just shaped their outer shell, would'nt their child get the look of an high one before they shapechanged them selves?
Maybe I'm just babling here... Toughts?

and fot the teaching thing, I think every elf has some "magic" in them, but other have more, like Leetah and Rayek, but still those with "more" magic in them needs to practise to their full potensial. (If there is something called "full potencial"... Leetah :roll: :) )
And then there are some who has something in between, and the palace brings it out in the open, like Kimo and Ahdri.

Minouche

I think they got stuck with the appearance they had chosen just before landing because, as it is said somewhere, their magic flew weakly on abode. They just reproduced the flesh they were stuck with and they got so used to it that they didn't even imagine themselves in any other form until Timmain reshaped herself in fron of them. Kimo may be the first one to tap into a limited form of that ability which remains in some elves, but is much weaker than that of their ancestors. Somehow it seems that magic is increasing again among elves. Could it be that, with all the generations that have lived and died on abode, the inner elf has adapted itself to the planet enough to recapture its ancestral abilities, or could it be that the reproduction more and more limited to recognition has concentrated the powers to the point that not even Abode can weaken them?

Eque

hmm... yes, like your thinking Wink
but still I think the palace has alot to do with all the magic hopping up everyevere :D and I do think the elves are more aware of them selves and what they can do, now when they know were they came from and what they have been...

Do anyone know if the palace loses power being on the planet?
(is the palace power endless?)

innie

I think it's the other way round. The planet gains power because of the palace. The palace keeps its power, and effects everything/one around it.

Sifra

Quote:
Fourleafclover

[quote:06446e1b1d="The_Wylde_Wynd"]That way we still have unsullied Dart/Kimo, which is one of the cutest pairings on Abode

Aw.... Unhappy That beautiful pairing was sullied for me when Elfmom said that they weren't lovemates or in a committed relationship. I guess they're just friends ala' Cutter and Skywise.

Yup..... just.... really.... good.... friends....

(Hopes Elfmom takes it back one day.) :awww:[/quote:06446e1b1d]
She said that? Surprised Evil Grin Evil Grin Evil Grin In the forevergreen comics it was obvious that they were falling in love and they are so cute together! Kimo is defenitly a very interesting character, and I would love to learn more about him. Evil Grin Evil Grin

JadeOwl

Quote:
Elfmom

As to the possible censoring of Dart and Kimo's relationship...goodness! What are you folks out there assuming? Dart had a male lovemate in the Sun Village, but we haven't explicitly indicated it's the same situation with Kimo. Our elves are not gay - they can't even conceive of such a label. Every possible combination is normal to them; they don't tend to stick to a pattern or limit themselves. As we like to say, "everyone's visited everyone's tree sometime or other." Believe me, if Dart and Kimo were bonded lovemates, we'd get it across to the audience in the best of taste in the new material.

:?

Fourleafclover

Ditto. One wonders how so many of us could have gotten it "wrong".

morlequioen

He's a DOLL
i love kimo :P

plus its nice that he and dart make the first(?) male male couple...
atleast i think so...

[quote:75bb555a4e]As to the possible censoring of Dart and Kimo's relationship...goodness! What are you folks out there assuming? Dart had a male lovemate in the Sun Village, but we haven't explicitly indicated it's the same situation with Kimo. Our elves are not gay - they can't even conceive of such a label. Every possible combination is normal to them; they don't tend to stick to a pattern or limit themselves. As we like to say, "everyone's visited everyone's tree sometime or other." Believe me, if Dart and Kimo were bonded lovemates, we'd get it across to the audience in the best of taste in the new material.

[/quote:75bb555a4e]

realy?

Minouche

Well, who better than the creator to tell us what she meant? Cheer up and loosen up people, Wendy has created a very attaching character in Kimo and if she didn't wish to peg him down as a part of an eternal couple with Dart, that's OK. Skywise isn't 'peg-able' either. Actually I like the fact that she doesn't stick a permanent label on her characters but leaves them the freedom to evolve according to the story while remaining faithful to themselves. That way they are more lifelike, less artificially rigid.

Fourleafclover

It's funny, actually. As a teller of stories myself I know firsthand how the characters you create pull away from you and start to become themselves. Different people from your first ideas or drafts of them. Like a child expressing independance from it's parents. In this case I think altho' Elfmom never expressly intended (or intends?) for Dart and Kimo to become a bonded couple.... they found each other and did indeed become a loving, bonded couple. Whether or not their Elfmom and Elfpop meant for that to happen... it just did - and they did it themselves.

So that's that! :)

Arthis

Thank you Fourleafclover, I so love your vision! :D

The_Wylde_Wynd

Quote:
Fourleafclover

It's funny, actually. As a teller of stories myself I know firsthand how the characters you create pull away from you and start to become themselves. Different people from your first ideas or drafts of them. Like a child expressing independance from it's parents. In this case I think altho' Elfmom never expressly intended (or intends?) for Dart and Kimo to become a bonded couple.... they found each other and did indeed become a loving, bonded couple. Whether or not their Elfmom and Elfpop meant for that to happen... it just did - and they did it themselves.

So that's that! :)

I totaly agree :jump: ! Wonder how long it'll take Elfmom and Elfpop to realize?

Fourleafclover

Thanks. :mrgreen: Just because you give birth to or create your children, doesn't mean you control them.

Minouche

Quote:
Fourleafclover

Thanks. :mrgreen: Just because you give birth to or create your children, doesn't mean you control them.

No, it just means you tend to know them and allow them to grow and chose on their own, not based on what anybody else would like them to be. So my opinion remains that, while they may become lifemates eventually, Dart and Kimo aren't yet, because their Mom would know.

Fourleafclover

Ah but children don't tell their parents everything. Wink

The_Wylde_Wynd

Quote:
Fourleafclover

So Kimo and Dart will have a secret centuries long relationship that will be broken to dear mom and pop when Chitter accidentaly stumbles on them while trying to escape bed-time!

JadeOwl

Quote:
Fourleafclover

Ah, but there's the subjective part. Elmom and Pop don't see it because they're not looking at it the right way. Those of us who are are "in on it", are the ones who have been told. But it's still in our minds, since it's a matter of interpretation.

Soi everyones right! Yay! :D :roll:

Shypaw

Yes! Yes! Yes! I agree with you 100% Fourleafclover. You are my hero, lol.

Dart & Kimo have grown into a loving couple. At least I know it wasn't me. I definitly got that impression from reading all the Forevergreen story. I was so happy for them too. :D

....and Jade Owl, thank you too because they will be a couple in my mind too. /hug Wink
-Shypaw

crescent1325

[color=indigo:60aca028be]Forevergreen story? *eye twitches*

*more eye twitching* ...*refrains from Blair bashing*

Not much i have to say on Kimo and Dart relationship but im glad that its been said that they arent "together". It just reinforces the whatsmajiggy that elves dont lable relationships like that. it just is.[/color:60aca028be]

Nowth

I hadn't even heard the words "lifemate" and "lovemate" before Elfquest! They are so labeling their relationships.

Sifra

Fourleafclover, I like your explanation. I feel alot better about it now. I was very dissapointed when I heard Wendy said they're not a couple, and felt even worse when I read her exact words. :? Maybe I need to get a life.
And you're right, too. I write story's myself too, and my characters seem to grow more independent, to older they get. Mostly I just go with it because I like how they surprise me somethimes. :D

crescent1325

[quote:221084528a="Nowth"]I hadn't even heard the words "lifemate" and "lovemate" before Elfquest! They are so labeling their relationships.[/quote:221084528a]

[color=indigo:221084528a]I dont mean like that nowth! yes that is.. but i meant sexually labeling their relationship... you know what i mean? [/color:221084528a]

Minouche

I still want to see Kimo just as he gets out of shapechanging: stark naked with the blue bandana loosely tied around his neck. Grin Wink

JadeOwl

[quote:2ae2a59c40="Nowth"]I hadn't even heard the words "lifemate" and "lovemate" before Elfquest! They are so labeling their relationships.[/quote:2ae2a59c40]

:P :hug2:

Willowspring

[quote:a4d091d855="muriel"]I still want to see Kimo just as he gets out of shapechanging: stark naked with the blue bandana loosely tied around his neck. Grin Wink[/quote:a4d091d855]

you know... my brain clicked off when you said that

twinklebug

Haha! Someone needs to draw a picture! Grin

The_Wylde_Wynd

Oh High Ones yes! Someone please do!

Willowspring

i dont need a visual, my head might explode!

Minouche

Why? I'm sure he's cute in the alltogether.... Actually I think a good (guy) friend of mine may even love the pic even more than me

Nowth

[quote:0196c3b115="crescent1325"][quote:0196c3b115="Nowth"]I hadn't even heard the words "lifemate" and "lovemate" before Elfquest! They are so labeling their relationships.[/quote:0196c3b115]

[color=indigo:0196c3b115]I dont mean like that nowth! yes that is.. but i meant sexually labeling their relationship... you know what i mean? [/color:0196c3b115][/quote:0196c3b115]
Yah... they're all straight, so there's no need to invent a word for it.

:P

Shypaw

LOL, that's what I thought when I read it too Nowth. I don't want labels, but a friendly hand holding would be nice, lol.

And the picture of Kimo with just the bandana...hot! :twisted:

shypaw

crescent1325

[quote:2d114ebdfa="Nowth"][quote:2d114ebdfa="crescent1325"][quote:2d114ebdfa="Nowth"]I hadn't even heard the words "lifemate" and "lovemate" before Elfquest! They are so labeling their relationships.[/quote:2d114ebdfa]

[color=indigo:2d114ebdfa]I dont mean like that nowth! yes that is.. but i meant sexually labeling their relationship... you know what i mean? [/color:2d114ebdfa][/quote:2d114ebdfa]
Yah... they're all straight, so there's no need to invent a word for it.

:P[/quote:2d114ebdfa]

[color=indigo:2d114ebdfa]I prefet to call it Omnisexual[/color:2d114ebdfa]. :P

lunakat

Ominisexual with a preference for straight.

Fourleafclover

Hmmm - maybe a good way to wrap this all up is to say that even if you are the creator sometimes your creations surprise you.

(Humble apologies to Elfmom :oops:)

This picture of Kimo without the bandana around his midsection has been churning in my mind for awhile now. And I do so love his Rayek ponytail.

Quiver

[quote:fddbb3f203="Elfmom"]As to the possible censoring of Dart and Kimo's relationship...goodness! What are you folks out there assuming? Dart had a male lovemate in the Sun Village, but we haven't explicitly indicated it's the same situation with Kimo. Our elves are not gay - they can't even conceive of such a label. Every possible combination is normal to them; they don't tend to stick to a pattern or limit themselves. As we like to say, "everyone's visited everyone's tree sometime or other." Believe me, if Dart and Kimo were bonded lovemates, we'd get it across to the audience in the best of taste in the new material. [/quote:fddbb3f203]

Well...from what I gather, Elfmom is not saying that they are not have sex, only that they are not committed to each other as a couple. The fact remains that Kimo uses Dart's soul name in the Forevergreen, and that Barry Blair should have had the Elfmom stamp of approval for doing that.

Quiver

Quote:
Quiver

[quote:cf33b00463="Elfmom"]As to the possible censoring of Dart and Kimo's relationship...goodness! What are you folks out there assuming? Dart had a male lovemate in the Sun Village, but we haven't explicitly indicated it's the same situation with Kimo. Our elves are not gay - they can't even conceive of such a label. Every possible combination is normal to them; they don't tend to stick to a pattern or limit themselves. As we like to say, "everyone's visited everyone's tree sometime or other." Believe me, if Dart and Kimo were bonded lovemates, we'd get it across to the audience in the best of taste in the new material.

Well...from what I gather, Elfmom is not saying that they are not have sex, only that they are not committed to each other as a couple. The fact remains that Kimo uses Dart's soul name in the Forevergreen, and that Barry Blair should have had the Elfmom stamp of approval for doing that.[/quote:cf33b00463]

Hmm, just had another thought when re-reading The Seacher and the Sword:when Kimo gets shot, Dart can still think rationally and doesn't go after the bug people like he did with the Go-backs when Shushen got shot. Dart thinks of both Kimo and Shuna here and realises that if he starts slaughtering humans, they will do the same to the elves. So friends, yes. Sleeping with each other, probably. Committed lovemates, probably not, but who knows what'll happen? We didn't get to see the depth of Dart's relationship with Shushen so it's hard to compare. I just hope neither will become committed to someone else. That would just ruin everything. Let them sleep around. They're still fairly young.

Apogee

Quote:
Quiver

Let them sleep around. They're still fairly young.

They really don't have any idea what that means. It's not like elves of any kind to "sleep around" because they're young and stupid - they enjoy each other's company when and where it's appropriate to do so. That's all. It's not "tainting" them for any future relationships, because those future relationships *also account for other joinings*.

lunakat

i just figured they were like Cutter and Skywise.

MissGillespie

Quote:
Apogee

[quote:36e57ef4b0="Quiver"]Let them sleep around. They're still fairly young.

They really don't have any idea what that means. It's not like elves of any kind to "sleep around" because they're young and stupid - they enjoy each other's company when and where it's appropriate to do so. That's all. It's not "tainting" them for any future relationships, because those future relationships *also account for other joinings*.[/quote:36e57ef4b0]

most elf-couples tend to stay with one guy/gal...

I can't think of one, right now, which changed later (ok, maybe Ember/Mender)

I don't like the Dart/Kimo-couple, either. It's like if Mr Burns would end up in a relationship with Smithers Wink

Apogee

That's not the point I was trying to make. The elves may "stay" with one - but note in the goback den how many didn't, including "the old marrieds" of Redlance and Nightfall? my point is that the elves don't seem to care whether their mate has or has not been with others. Obviously there would be exceptions - Rayek perhaps, showed his jealousy a bit - but on the whole the elves don't have a preconception of "virginity" or "chaste before pairing" that humans tend to overemphasize.

Sefra

*throwing a little Kimo-love into the mix*

I liked the Kimo/Dart bit a lot, although they feel more like lovers than friends to me (more so than Skywise and Cutter for example) so there just might be a bonding there someday, who know? Smile

In the meantime, and probably afterward too, I bet they enjoy themselves with whoever they choose to. Except for the Cutter and Rayek rivalry I can only think of one other time there was jealousy involved: when Moonshade was courted. Strongbow didn't seem to mind the joining bit and neither did Moonshade. But they both strongly objected when the new guy tried to change her. And yeah, Strongbow wasn't too fond of being boxed out either...Wink

Luvlove

KimosGirl

How can they be gay? They just share a bond that goes beyond that of humans, like Elfmom said, they have all visited each others tree so time or other. I don't fully understand the Dart/Kimo bond but if it's what they want then let then have at it.

Minouche

I really don't care whether or not they sleep together. It is obvious they are happy together and it matters not to me whether they are friends, friends with benefits, or exclusive lovers.
Unlike in Mask of the Red Death, I don't think the sexual relationships are very important in ElfQuest. It's a given elves have sex, but it is not at the center of the story.

lunakat

Kimo is the "other Darrin"
Without him, Dart's heart is barren
When Shushen died, young Dart was sad
But Dart replaced him with this lad!

It's nice to know when a soulmate dies,
There some insurance- like Skywise
and Leetah clearly are for Cutter.
One finds oneself a new soul brother.

And Kimo now has magic tricks!
His own shape he can match and mix
If Dart feels wisteful now and then
He can look like Serrin or ShuShen

Embala

hehe ... funny sequel of your poem about Shushen!

Embala

This thread lacks pictures!

Kimo as a "dressupd doll" Wink showing off his costume design - look in Wendy Words ...

... and as a wolf among his closest friends.

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

RedheadEmber

Hope we'll get to see a bit of his life with Shuna and family.

Also, like the fact that in Full Circle he's counted amongst the toughest hunters (those going on the shackback hunt).

Embala

Hope we'll get to see a bit of his life with Shuna and family.

Most probably we will - remember this one?

RedheadEmber

Well... he's the wolf, no doubt...

Actually I... never really saw that before. Prolly would've driven me crazy...

Trollbabe

(Spoilers for FQ Prologue)

How could Kimo not know that he shouldn't shape-shift in the open? Or what humans would do if they spied on him? I think this is an example of Elves' lessons being forgotten over time.

lunakat

That's right- Kimo is part wolfrider. Totally forgot!

Or.. maybe he'd done it before with groups of humans and nothing happened? They'd been traveling around a lot- they probably just got all-around careless.

What do you guys think of Kimo's 'near recognition' with Shuna? Newstar seems a little concerned...

Trollbabe

That should be interesting, although Newstar seems a little distracted now.

I do admire the versatility of that one-piece blue garment!

WhitneyPrince

I don't really get Kimo lately. Where is this weird loyalty (almost recognition??) with Shuna even coming from? To me, the most interesting aspect to Kimo was always his relationship with Dart. Friends? Lovers? Who CARES! It was because he always showed such exquisite loyalty, but now it's been shunted off in some wild new direction.

Also... OK, he can shapeshift into a wolf now. I'll bite. But he still prefers to hang out with humans instead of fellow wolves or wolfriders? Yeeaaaah. I just don't get it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the Final Quest for sure. I'm loving it! But all the panels with Kimo just make me sad for Dart.

Here's how that last Dart/Kimo scene played out in my head, with liberal dialog paraphrasing:

Dart: Shuna's going to live a long time now. Guess that means you and I won't be hanging out any time soon.
Kimo: <irritatingly upbeat, gazing at Shuna> Guess not!
Dart: <stoic mope>

Embala

Hmmm ... when was the relationship between Shuna and Kimo even built?

They were close since he saved her in the snow storm in SatS ... but he run for her rescue because he already had a connection to her ... right? Or was she "only one of the tribemates" he wanted to protect so eagerly? And this incident somehow built up an unexplainable closeness?

Is it a lack of well founded story developement? Or - something that Wendy wishes to reveil only much later by purpose?

I'd say Kimo and the Peacemakers got a bit careless ... after 20+ years the shapeshifting was so common for them that they didn't think about it very much anymore.

I must admit that your revised dialog between Dart and Kimo made me chuckle, Whitney. Though I can see where you come from.
Then again ... when I look at the original picture Dart seems not especially effected by Kimo's choice. Let's face it - the couple (to whatever degree) Dart/Kimo was mainly build by Barry Blair. And Wendy discounted the fan opinion that those two are a couple comparably sharp. Maybe she had other plans with Kimo from the beginning.

Whatever will be ... there's a good possibility that there will be a fokus on Kimo AND Dart. Wendy mentioned in a teaser that she is just exploring Dart. We'll see whether they'll drift apart more or will get closer again. *sigh* I'd like to see them closer ...

@Trollbabe: Obviosly Kimo magically morphes his clothes as well as his body. Wink We need a name for this ability!

RedheadEmber

Something I've been thinking about a bit:
When they're Down by that river where they get attacked, Kimo (in wolf form) isn't wearing his scarf around his neck.
Shouldn't that mean that when he transforms back into elf he should've been naked?

Trollbabe

Shouldn't that mean that when he transforms back into elf he should've been naked?

True. Just about every comic that features a shape-changer has a way to deal with that, logical or not. Notice how Bruce Banner's trousers change size when he becomes the Hulk, even though the waist and cuffs are tattered. (You'd think that Bruce Banner would catch on that he only becomes the Hulk when he wears purple slacks?)

skyward

I'm not sure if someone's already brought this up, but was it ever addressed how Kimo knew Dart's soul name? They both just seemed to take it in stride and it was never mentioned again!