ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Scouter

emerald

Scouter...where do I start? I love him because he reminds me of Peter Pan and he's so gorgeous! I like him because he is Tyleet's lifemate. (And I know that a lot of you out there like him as the kid he used to be, but just isn't anymore!) I love everything about him. I love him from the first panel I saw him in when he said "I must save Dewshine!" So cute! :love: He went through so much just to be with her. I applaud him for that! :P Now he's recognized to two gorgeous elves and I can't wait for a new story to come out about Ember's half of the tribe so I can finally get to see him again!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kitt

He looks like a fairy tale elf with his little green hat and stuff :D

emerald

His green had indeed... 8)

[size=24:6eefcca4da]Hey LOOK!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting=[/size:6eefcca4da]Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Wink

Kitt

"Green Had"?? What are you talking about :P

emerald

You wrote had but I see you fixed it! Wink

dewshine_lover_1

mmm he is so delicious hehehe these two are my favorite pictures of Scouter..

emerald

Yummy, Thanks Dewy! :D

Kitt

Quote:
emerald

You wrote had but I see you fixed it! Wink

...oh yeah, prove it :twisted:

dewshine_lover_1

hahaha ok now you two..hahaha yall must be in a feisty mood lol Grin

Kitt

:P Fine, fine...here: *adds to the Scouter pics*

dewshine_lover_1

awww thanks kitt lol love it! :D

Kitt

Oh, then you should love this one, too! :P

dewshine_lover_1

YES! mmmm Grrrrrowl. Oh! and its my little bumper lol i do love that picture! thanks kitt lol

Kitt

*pets D.L.* You're welcome :D

emerald

Quote:
Kitt

[quote:579bc2d5ef="emerald"]You wrote had but I see you fixed it! Wink

...oh yeah, prove it :twisted:[/quote:579bc2d5ef]

:rofl:

Oh, and Scouter looks so gorgeous in that bottom pic! He looks good enough to eat!

dewshine_lover_1

:P hahaha you guys just tickle my funny bone!

crescent1325

i loved scouter in the OQ and SaBM...but the whole shawdow stalker story really ruffled my fur. I mean..its like they took his overprotectiveness, and made him CRAZY! it just didnt seem like Scouter. Hopefully now that elfma and pa are pack with the riegns he will mellow out again!

dewshine_lover_1

i totally agree..That story is so not scouter..overprotective yes, crazy no!

Blackbird

Really like Scouter, don't like what they made of him. The scenes with him and Dewshine after she recognized Tyldak is some of the sweetest I've seen in EQ.

Kitt

*nods* That is one of the scenes that made me a loyal Scouter fan! :D

Blackbird

Me to :D Who could hate him after that...

emerald

Definitley not me! Wink

krwordgazer

Here's my take on Scouter-- from a discussion of him we had in the "Wild Hunt" forum:

His character doesn't seem to me to have changed all that much-- it's just his circumstances that have changed.

The very first time we see him, he is focused on protecting Dewshine. Later he says that his father "was the best Wolfrider ever! He would follow his chief no matter what!" Those two motivations seem to be the overarching themes of his life: protect his loved ones, and follow the Way. In following the Way he seems to be at least as traditionalist as Strongbow, if not more so.

Look at his reaction to Dewshine and Tyldak's Recognition in that light. Part of the Way seems to encompass the idea of yielding to Recognition. Before Leetah and Cutter, no one in Cutter's tribe ever seems to have questioned it (at least not in tribal memory). Scouter's tolerance of Tyldak and acceptance of the situation, then, is the traditionalist's viewpoint. Recognition is something that must be accepted. That's why in Blue Mountain he tells Pike, "We don't have the right" to interfere with Tyldak and Dewshine.

But his protectiveness never goes away, as evidenced in SaBM by his attack on Skywise when the stargazer's actions put her in danger.

Again, look at his reaction to his own Recognition of Tyleet. Even though he and Dewshine have been acting like (and even referring to one another as) lifemates for 500+ years, the first thing he says to Tyleet is, "You-- my lifemate!" For Wolfriders, Recognition has always meant lifemating. Again, the traditionalist follower of the Way above all.

Now in the whole Lehrigen-challenge sequence, Ember seems to Scouter to have stopped following the Way. And she hasn't even given him any real reasons why. Part of the Way is following his chief, Scouter knows (that's why he gives in on the first challenge), but when the chief seems to flout the way, someone like Scouter will uphold the Way above the chief-- just as Strongbow did with Cutter. Then when his loved ones are put in danger by the chief's actions, protective Scouter goes ballastic.

But Scouter is very kind to Tier and is one of the first to make him feel accepted. He is a good father to Pool, and a kind and loving mate to both Tyleet and Dewshine. Scouter's not a bad sort, really. Just very, very hidebound, and a bit over-protective.

Willowspring

i complete agree with Board Mom

emerald

[color=blue:a6c2277cfc][size=24:a6c2277cfc]Finally!!![/size:a6c2277cfc]
Thank you!
Now hopefully you can change some people's minds![/color:a6c2277cfc] Wink

crescent1325

[color=indigo:acb0c13240]**digs heels in and shakes head** uh uh ..aint gonna happen....lol... well...maybe a little.... [/color:acb0c13240]

joselle

See, that's the thing. Strongbow challenged Cutter and no one resents him for it:.....maybe that's just because he actually lost.
What if he'd won though? Would anyone be mad at Scouter if he'd just lost both challanges. The rule isn't, don't challange the cheif; it's that the cheif should be strong enough to keep his place in the tribe. Like wolves, the alpha-male needs to be stronger to keep his position in the pack. It's a bit different for the Wolfriders; no one is actually gunning to be the next cheif; but if we're gonna point fingers then it sounds like much of the blame goes to Ember too; after-all she's cheif, young, dis-heartenend, whatever....she's cheif. She needs the strength and fortitiude to get the tribe to do what she feels is best, to exlain to them, to protect them, ...and then to be right more of the time than wrong.

Foxeye

/agree with krwordgazer and joselle

To be honest, I think half the problem is that the artist (I liked the art, don't get me wrong) drew Scouter in an unsympathetic way. He wasn't attractive. He was all sidedburns and scowl and aggressive posture. It was very hard to sympathize with him.

Kitt

[color=green:9f969c0c54]I agree to that, too! Scouter looked like a bit of a mad man in that series! I think if he looked the way he did in Hidden Years, we would have been more sympathetic to his cause.[/color:9f969c0c54]

krwordgazer

[quote:4fc2170f07="joselle"]but if we're gonna point fingers then it sounds like much of the blame goes to Ember too; after-all she's cheif, young, dis-heartenend, whatever....she's cheif. She needs the strength and fortitiude to get the tribe to do what she feels is best, to exlain to them, to protect them, ...and then to be right more of the time than wrong.[/quote:4fc2170f07]

Right, Joselle. :) And frankly, Ember's treatment of Scouter was largely what precipitated that second challenge. Compare her behavior towards Scouter when he lost (now sit down and shut up!) to Cutter's behavior towards Strongbow when he lost (I understand how you feel, my friend).

Scouter lost confidence in Ember because she was giving him no good reason to follow her. He was many times her elder; she should have given him the kind of respect Cutter gave his elder, Strongbow. Ember departed from the Way and expected Scouter and the others to simply follow blindly-- and then she treated them like they were only minions, not team members she needed and trusted. Good leadership isn't just throwing your weight around; it's the way you treat your followers.

To do Ember justice, she learned her lesson after that encounter, though. :D

Kitt

[color=#339999:1f2b9f276b]Granted, it took a beating, but she got it Wink[/color:1f2b9f276b]

Kitt

[img:479369b40b]http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/6149/eq3043yb.jpg[/img:479369b40b]

Kathleen

OMG!*dies* Linework so baaaaaaaaad! Unhappy

Kitt

[color=green:db981d908a]LOL!! Well, it's not Wendy, but it's not bad, either :) I like her work :D[/color:db981d908a]

Kathleen

Scouter looks so bad. Seriously, did the artist have a hate on for him or something? :roll:

Kitt

[color=green:97399aea82]I think it was just her style Wink She's not Scouter-hating! :P[/color:97399aea82]

crescent1325

[color=indigo:13f4af816c]i know im gonna get some flack for this..but imo ...they all looked bad in that story line. i just really wasnt impressed with the art. It looked sketched and not finished and the characters looked nothing like they were possed to...i dont know...im a wendy purest. its just so completely different looking...i dont know...its just...uh...im gonna shut up now...cuz i cant put it into words... [/color:13f4af816c]

Kathleen

I agree!

cactus

Yeah, me too. I know some of you loved this art, but for me it was just... wrong. I liked the story though.

Foxeye

Simply for the sake of art, I liked it. (Those colored versions really don't do it justice...the poor line quality was not there in the original version, so it's probably an error by the colorist.) In fact...there were occasional shots that I really loved. Such as where Teir was coming up out of twe water topless with fish in his mouth. *drool*

But to be honest, it was often hard to follow the flow of events. And I think that that is crucial in a comic, pretty art or not.

emerald

[color=blue:e5842fcb2e]Eww his ponytail! Surprised Someone please get rid of both of them! I hated seeing that thing. Secretly I hoped Tyleet or Dewshine would just chop it off while he was sleeping! :? [/color:e5842fcb2e]

crescent1325

[color=indigo:c9cde75e92]nods in agreement...
[/color:c9cde75e92]

emerald

Dreamweaver showed me this picture and I thought it was so cute! I wanted to post it here...

heehee...Scouter has it made!

Kitt

That is SOO SWEET! :love:

Suzene

Quote:
Foxeye

Simply for the sake of art, I liked it. (Those colored versions really don't do it justice...the poor line quality was not there in the original version, so it's probably an error by the colorist.) In fact...there were occasional shots that I really loved. Such as where Teir was coming up out of twe water topless with fish in his mouth. *drool*

Agreed. The book looked MUCH better in grayscale; whoever did that coloring job was way heavy handed.

Another good shot was when Mender was talking to the Silent One and plotting a way to get free. He looked sly, sneaky, and just plain Bearclaw-ish. I loved it. And I thought Pool was adorable all through that storyline. XD

Suzene

crescent1325

i'll give you that...pool was actually one of the better drawn of the bunch...

emerald

I think I would just die if I saw a Wendy-drawn Pool! :love: Can't wait for that to happen!!!

Willowspring

Quote:
emerald

I think I would just die if I saw a Wendy-drawn Pool! :love: Can't wait for that to happen!!!

especially him all grown up... Because i think he's want to look like his hero teir Grin

emerald

ew...I hate Teir. :?

Willowspring

Quote:
emerald

ew...I hate Teir. :?

:P i like him better then mender... Mender... reminds me of a spoiled child.

I think that Pool is a kick butt little elf. I never seen the coloring for him... But i think that he would have his mommy's eyes and daddy's hair

emerald

@ Willowspring: I don't know about Pool's eye color, because I've never seen him in color! Unhappy But he does have black hair after his daddy. :love:

Ok, I have a request! :P
I would love it if people could possibly scan in their favorite Scouter pictures. I think it would be so fun to see people's favorite pictures of him. Anyone? :D

dewshine_lover_1

These are a couple of my favorite pics of our honey lol

emerald

ooh! Thank you Lree! You are absolutely awesome! :P :kiss:
Anyone else? Wink

cactus

My favourite Scouter scene/pics:

emerald

The first one, Cactus, is *Squee!* :P :love:
He's gorgeous!
Thank you!
But did you notice that there is a tiny foot at the top of the picture? Grin

cactus

Yup, that would be Dewshines foot Grin .

Kitt

:roflmao:

dewshine_lover_1

hehehe that is so funny..looks like tinkerbell flew by to give him a kiss.. Grin and you are so welcome emerald..you know i wont forget about him lol

ulmtwen

Don't label me a Scouter-hater! I just don't see the appeal, that's all. He's never really stood out as a character to me. And I definitely don't think he's particularly good looking (no better looking than any of the other elves - they're pretty much all pretty), but that might just be the fact that I like girls. Speaking of which, the only emotion I feel for Scouter is jealousy. Why did he get the two most beautiful Wolfriders ever? That's just way unfair.

emerald

aww...ulmtwen...Scouter is very yummy! (to me at least...and maybe Dewy! Wink ) Anyone else have favorite pics of him?

emerald

Just wanted to post a quote of his that I absolutely adore! :love:

"Dewshine...I make you a promise. If Tyldak won't be a father to the cub you must bear--I will! And whether it has wings-or your white gold hair and beautiful eyes--I'll love it--becuase it will be a part of you!"
:D

crescent1325

awwwwwww, such a touching quote, from he non waaaaaaaaaaaay over protective days! ....lol..

emerald

Grr...don't bring that up! :x

*Huggles* though...

crescent1325

thought that would raise your hackles...lol..jk...

**huggles back**

Thornbrake

One of the things I most love about Scouter is his character development. We've pretty much gotten to watch him grow up, mature and settle into his adult personality. I personally think that his behavior in towards Ember was completely in character. It was the 500+ year-old-elder-nostalgia-confidence version of his protectiveness of Dewshine in Blue Mountain and his attack on Skywise a few years later.

In real life we go through traumatic times and changes and that effects who we become and our reactions to certain events. To me what happened in Shadowstalker felt very real even if it was unpleasant.

It also added a lot more depth to Scouter's character. I mean, compare Scouter to Redlance. Redlance is one of my favorite elves but he's pretty much the same exact person since the end of first war for the Palace, which is kind of boring and flat when compared to a character like Scouter who has changed and developed (not necessarily for the best, but...).

emerald

[b:631439b060][color=#00bfbf:631439b060]Poor Scouter's been bumped to the second page! :crying:

I was just re-reading Shards, right after Tyleet and Scouter recognized. :love: and I had a big grin on my face when Scouter call's Tyleet lifemate for the first time. She scream's "Baby, Baby!" And he goes running in after her, when all of a sudden this net catches him. (The first time I read it I was like, what the--?" And then when Skywise says to Tyleet, "You've ruined him! No one's ever been able to sneak up on Scouter before." I was laughing. I thought this was so funny![/color:631439b060][/b:631439b060]

ReenBladesong

I liked him pre-hidden years.

:xI can never forgive what he did to ember.Even if it did help her in the end... Grumbles incoherently.....

emerald

[b:e24b05aa22][color=#00bfbf:e24b05aa22]You mean before he recognized Tyleet? :crying: [/color:e24b05aa22][/b:e24b05aa22]

ReenBladesong

Okay, repenting.
I liked him BEFORE he challenged Ember.

emerald

[color=#00bfbf:2462b56658]I can live with that! :P

Although I do disagree with you. Wink [/color:2462b56658]

ReenBladesong

Hmmm...The pot calls the Kettle Black.

emerald

[b:c6306404d2][color=#00bfbf:c6306404d2]I'm sorry. I don't understand.

On another note: I can't see your avatar, and if you're in need of one, I did reserve that Longfin avatar for you! Wink :P [/color:c6306404d2][/b:c6306404d2]

ReenBladesong

Currently on upload Avatar Quest.

Gazelle

Modern Scouter:

jadengems

I agree with Reen.

I always thought that they were trying to make Scouter with Ember too much like Strongbow with Cutter. Just a repeat when he got his panties in a bundle. But, I did like how it pushed Ember to come into her own...to me, that whole mess with the challenge was worth it for that alone.

~Gem

Embala

I confess that Scouter isn't my most beloved elf and probably never will be ***covers head*** - don't beat me! - but i cannot understand why a good deal of the folks on this forum seems to hate him so eagerly !?
Allow me to tell you how I see him so far:

He was a cute, loving cub in first issue, saying he "must save Dewshine".
He was a good-looking guy in Blue Mountain, showing both gentleness and strenght - and his deep love too - when telling Dewshine that he will be her lifemate and loving father to her cub of recognition just because "it will be part of her". He accepted recognition without anger or jealousy ....
.... and he accepted it with joy when recognition struck him and Tyleet centuries later. As the members of this triangle liked each other very much, there was no need to choose between long-years-lifemate and the new recognition-bond ... there was enough love for them all ... the perfect three-mating ...

So far, he's a handsome, nice guy who proved his abilities of loving, fighting and fathering ... but no one who "grapped" my interest specially. Now to the "bad, wrong things" he did:

He is thought to be over-protective ... maybe, but is this a reason for hate? Both Dewshine and Tyleet are more than capable to teach him when he is is going too far ... as other elfmaiden did to their mates ...

Some(one) said, as far as I remember, that he prefers Tyleet to Dewshine, pushing his old love away ... REALLY? Technically, it might be necessary for the author to concentrate on the new bond, to work out the new developed feelings. When Scouter attention centers a bit more upon the cup and the mother, does this mean, he is neglecting Dewshine? Don't judge this relationship with human eyes! Our idea of being neglected and misunderstood mostly grow because of not talking about ... but the elves can sent. They know their feelings, be sure! And Dewshine is not the one to stay as "fifth wheel"!

I believe to have read somewhere, that Dewshine must get rid of this mating, before it will "kill" her ... now, it was pretty close to this one time or another. But can you blame Scouter for it all alone? Dewshine was very protective and brave beyond reason, when her own cub was endangered. Now she made up her mind to protect the new life coming - and the parents either. So she is the risktaker when there is cause to be. She already had her own head-strong mind hardly beyond cup-age, remember the Zwoot hunt!

Now up to the worst thing done ... he challenged Ember ... and accidently won!

I can understand that Scouter, nearly an elder, sometimes doubt in the leadership of his "cub-aged" Chieftess ... and on the other side it's easy to imagine that Ember, in lack of experience, has difficulties too to lead their tribe the "right way", as for decisions or methods.

So they argued ... then and now ... again and again disagreed ... till he challended and lost .. she was treating him bad afterwards or at least the wrong way ... so he challenged again ... and WON - startled almost as much as Ember by this result ... he knew the very montent that he hadn't challenged for becoming Chief for real but to make clear his point of view ... and now it's his burden Surprised - he tried to lead ... making faults that endanger the tribe and the WAY (just like he thougt Ember did) ... showed throat at last ... and Ember regained her Chiefslock.

Out of all this mess Ember rised riper, more grown up, wiser and more sure of herself. And so did Scouter I bet ... he knew his place now: being a loyal tribemate, questioning his Chieftess' ideas on time or another :twisted: - just like Strongbow did with Cutter. Therefor this challenge was good and necessary for the development of both charakters and story - and not a "knife in the back of the untouchable leader" as some others want to see it - JUST MY OPINION.
And don't forget: Wolves use to challenge - and Wolfriders DON'T use to HATE - that's THE WAY.

Now that he has some edges and ankles, Scouter becomes more interesting to me. He's one I would like to see developed ... not killed off.

By the Way: You really mustn't blame Scouter for the artwork showing him in parts of Wild Hunt and Shadowstalker ... it's not his fault looking more hostile than Zey in his worst days Evil Grin . As far as I could see in the forums, I'm glad I only have a black/white reprint. So I can imagine to read a prose story and blend out the worst pictures easier -- and instead of figure my beloved Pini-Elves in mind Wink .

That was much writing for this newbie. I can only hope that everything is figured out clearly and will be understood the way I meant. Though reading English (EQ Smile ) now and than I lack experience for writung such difficult prose for many, many, maaaany years.

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

krwordgazer

Beautiful Scouter defense, Embala. I agree.

And welcome to the forum! Glad you're here! :D

I, too, think Scouter is all the more interesting for the new sides and angles he has shown. And, (please don't think I'm making fun of your English, which is excellent-- just having a little fun) he's got great ankles, too! Grin

Embala

Scream ... d... foreign language ... asking dictionary ...

Great ankles too, I agree! Wink

As long as you understand what I'm meaning and not the nonsense I'm writing never mind about joking Wink

... and thanks very much for the welcome ... Smile

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

ingvild

Hey, first post!

The thing about Scouter's challenge, is that it's completely understandable. Ember hadn't really been leading so much as commanding, and Scouter had to first see his son kidnapped, then his lifemate bleeding in the snow.

What impressed me with Scouter is that once he saw what his way would lead to, he untied his chief's lock and retied Ember's. This time, she reacts better, comforting him rather than glaring down at him.

I really think that challenge was necessary, and I think Ember agrees. Quote:
Ember: Scouter...I'm glad you challenged!
Souter: With the still one?
Ember: No. With me. I always thought...Father was a chief, so I'll be one too. And my cub after me. Never a question. (...)I'm chief because you all need me to be there...to put you first. I can't just expect you to follow blindly.

Scouter didn't want the chief's lock. He just thought Ember didn't have what it took, and he was partly right. I think both of them walked out of that ordeal the better for it.

Now, it's been a while since I read Mender's Tale, but I seem to remember that Scouter argues in favour of Mender going into the human town there. He's calmed down, mellowed out, I think, and let go of a lot of his anger. (I think he also got a haircut. The anger disappeared with his hair! Hmmm, there's a story in there...)

nevaratoiel

Completely NOT in line with the previous posts. Somehow I've always thought Scouter to have something of Strongbow (Especially in SaBM saga). I don't know why. Maybe it's the bone structure and the hair. :P

krwordgazer

Hey, welcome, Ingvild! :D

I agree with you completely. To my mind, the only thing Scouter did that I found hard to forgive was abandoning Ember in the snow like that. I don't care if it's what wolves do! Wolfriders are elf too! And Wolfriders are supposed to care deeply about life-- Suntoucher said that once, as I recall.

Abandoning a chief who has lost a challenge, yes-- when said chief is strong. Leaving Cutter's wounded daughter alone in the winter without food or provisions-- no. I think the elf in Scouter would have said, "Leave her some food and a blanket, and weapons. Mender, make sure she will live. Then, let's go."

But really-- for this I fault the writers, not Scouter. I think that was out of character for any Wolfrider.

Embala

The previous posts .... That includes me, I guess. You wrote that you are <completly NOT in line> with them ... I'm a little puzzled :? ... You LOVE Strongbow, this I know, and now you compare Scouter to him ... then where do you "completely" not agree, Nev?

... that Scouter is a character to be developed?
... that he is someone likeable and not to hate?
... that the challenge was necessary?
... that he doesn't really want to be Chief?
... or is it just my opinion that he isn't SO MUCH interesting FOR ME?

JadeOwl

I think Nev just meant that her post wasn't part of the disussion going on in the above posts, because it didn't relate to Scouter challenging Ember. :)

As for me..I have to say, I was pretty disillusioned with Scouter after I first read that storyline. But looking back, I think it was in-character for him.

I think he was tired of not being able to do anything about situations he didn't like. Think about it:

The holt burns down, and he can't do anything about it.

His first love, Dewshine, Recognizes Tyldak, and he can't do anything. She figures it out without him.

His (adopted) son is kidnapped, and he can't do anything. Again, Dewshine manages to solve it. He helps, but it's truly a secondary role.

He Recognizes Tyleet. Now, this turned out well, but it was still out of his control.

So the next thing that happens that he doesn't like, he gets fed up. He doesn't wait for Dewshine, or anyone else, to solve it. He does something about it. He challenges Ember, mostly to prove a point. I agree that he doesn't really want to be chief, but he disagrees with her.

And wins.

And then he doesn't know what to do.

So he abondons the scene of the crime, perhaps rashly, perhaps too fast. But then he feels bad, but thinks "I'm CHIEF, now. I can't back down, can't change my decision."

And here I see a lot of Two Spear in him. Not later Two Spear, the crazed fanatic, but young, idealistic Two Spear, who dreamed of a peaceful world without the threat of humans.

So no, it was not alright for him to leave Ember in the snow. But I kind of understand his reasoning behind it.

nevaratoiel

Quote:
Embala

The previous posts .... That includes me, I guess. You wrote that you are <completly NOT in line> with them ... I'm a little puzzled :? ... You LOVE Strongbow, this I know, and now you compare Scouter to him ... then where do you "completely" not agree, Nev?

... that Scouter is a character to be developed?
... that he is someone likeable and not to hate?
... that the challenge was necessary?
... that he doesn't really want to be Chief?
... or is it just my opinion that he isn't SO MUCH interesting FOR ME?

Quote:
Jade Owl

I think Nev just meant that her post wasn't part of the disussion going on in the above posts, because it didn't relate to Scouter challenging Ember. :D

Exactly. I haven't read the comics (Wild Hunt was it?) where Ember was chief... So I don't know anything about it. I just think Scouter looks like Strongbow.

Embala

Just couldn't classify this post because having misunderstood "being not in line" (translated word by word this is a synonym for "not agree" in German) - thanks for briefing me. I will learn Wink

I like your point of view, Jade Owl. Seeing the challenge not simply as a line of misunderstandings but as the result of long-growing anger and helplessness makes even more sense.

And you are right, Nev :) They look similar (yet NOT in Wild Hunt / Shadowstalker!). But for me it doesn't "feel" similar, so Strongbow is my absolute favorite and Scouter only a liked charakter, who maybe become more interesting.

Nightsea

No one else posted any (that I could see...might
be broken links)...so here's some that
I borrowed and embelished:

Scouter's face is my fault, but his body is Wendy Pini
goodness, as is the wolf. If you can't guess where I
borrowed from, keep looking around. I will tell if anyone
inquires. Hint: not the comics

:!:
--Nightsea

innie

Quote:
krwordgazer

To my mind, the only thing Scouter did that I found hard to forgive was abandoning Ember in the snow like that. I don't care if it's what wolves do! Wolfriders are elf too! And Wolfriders are supposed to care deeply about life-- Suntoucher said that once, as I recall.

Abandoning a chief who has lost a challenge, yes-- when said chief is strong. Leaving Cutter's wounded daughter alone in the winter without food or provisions-- no. I think the elf in Scouter would have said, "Leave her some food and a blanket, and weapons. Mender, make sure she will live. Then, let's go."

But really-- for this I fault the writers, not Scouter. I think that was out of character for any Wolfrider.

I totally agree with you. It doesn't matter that Scouter thought Ember was heading in the wrong direction with her leadership, abandoning her like that was terrible. I can't believe nobody stood up for her, just because it was the way, forget what wolves do! I understand their way of challenging, but I strongly disagree with the way it was all handled. One of the things Scouter blamed Ember for was the way she didn't lead but rather commanded.

He wins the challenge, but doesn't leave room to the others to help him with it. When they're leaving Ember in the snow, you see some pitiful glances in her direction, but no-one even suggests to help her, or just does, except for Teir later on. Sure, Mender now had to to be handed over to Lehrigen, but it was his lovemate that was bleeding in the snow, he could have demanded to heal Ember before they left.

I understand why Scouter challenged and I don't hate him for doing that. I've always had sympathy for him. But I can't forgive what he has done to Ember either (or the writers of that storyline, though I love the rest of wild hunt) Wink

Btw, I really like your Tyleet/Scouter fanart, Nightstar, Tyleet looks adorable :D

crescent1325

Taken from the Fanart monthly grabbag thread

(Just wanted to say something about it, but didnt wanna clutter the thread with a Scouter debate ;) )

[quote:a8c3ea1860]They recognized his lovemate and tortured her by her soulname, led his father to his death, kidnapped his son and turned him into a Glider, and very nearly got his mother killed. [/quote:a8c3ea1860]

They? "they" isnt very accurate. One person recognized his lovemate, and that happens all the time, and Scouter/Dewshine moved on from that. One person tourtured Dewshine.. Horrible yes, but it wasnt a entire tribe. Just one. Course there were a few followers, and at the time most of the mountain was asleep! and then One person lead his father to his death. and I hate to say this, but it was an accident. Lord Voll didnt know that there would be Trolls there.

And again, One elf kidnapped his son. ...with the help (all be it unintentional) of a fellow wolfrider.

But, you are right, He did go thru alot, but to lay blame on an entire tribe.. :(

Embala

These two love Scouter for sure - ... better make it three Wink

MissGillespie

puh, his facefur looks terrible. Due to the shape of his face, he should have one as Strongbow, but they gave him [i:bd3063121f]this[/i:bd3063121f] one, so he wouldn't that much remind on the archer...

Willowspring

i think that is such a great picture of the three of them

Quiver

[size=12:43ebf1c9f9][/size:43ebf1c9f9]I know I've been joining in with the Scouter-bashing in other places, but I think I've come round. I kind of understand him better now. Bad things happen to Scouter during the Quests, out of all the Wolfriders topped only by what happens to Cutter. The difference is that Cutter can handle crises and is a good leader while Scouter lack these skills completely. He could never be chief: he is too impulsive, acts on his emotions without thinking. The script of Wild Hunt is the worst that I've ever read in EQ, but his challenge of Ember is in character in the way that he acts on his emotions, but is out of character because the Scouter we know from Wendy and Richard's scripts would never challenge his chief. Ember's tribe would be in big trouble if they were led by him. In the past, his outbursts have been stopped by elders of the tribe. There is now no one to do this: Pike is the eldest but he doesn't really have the authority and manner of one. He's actually helping Scouter: this, above all else, makes me feel that Wild Hunt is non-canonical.

I've come to like Scouter, One-eye and Clearbrook because they are your average non-magical Wolfriders. They feel the closest to my own family, partly because One-eye kind of looks like my granddad. Scouter isn't bad but the other Wolfriders should have supported him more when his dad died. Clearbrook and Treestump wanted to stay with the palace, but Strongbow could have mentored him. He was missing a son anyway.

On another note, does anyone know how old Scouter is in relation to Cutter? Cutter says when Dewshine Recognize Tyldak that Scouter is as old then as when Cutter Recognized Leetah. That should be 7 years younger then. How old is Cutter when Madcoil attacks? Scouter would be 11 or 12 at that time.

Embala

Scouter's age varies (according to different referecnes by different authors) - once he appears even older than Cutter :? . For my personal use I've always taken the Holt picture from the Madcoil flashback as reference.

Cutter is 17 when he becomes Chief after the Madcoil incident (this is considered to be common knowledge) - makes him 23 at the time of EQ1 and 30 when the Quest begins and the Gliders are found..

Dewshine looks about 13 - already changing from child to young woman. When you consider the "fast" youth and early maturity of wolfblooded elves she could easily have no more than 10 or 11 years either.

Scouter look like a boy slightly older than she, but clearly younger than Cutter - let's say 13. Then he would be 19 at EQ1 and 26 when Dewshine regognized Tyldak. Would fit - Cutter says Scouter is "about" his age at this time ... close enough for me.

The is/was a site with "Scott's Timeline" which came to almost the same conclusion:
Scouter and Dewshine been born about 20 to 15 years before EQ1

Tenderfoot

[quote:38738407fa="Embala"]Cutter is 17 when becoming Chief after the Madcoil incident (this is considered to be common knowledge) - makes him 23 at the time of EQ1 and 30 when the Quest begins and the Gliders are found..[/quote:38738407fa]

I always thought he was 19, at least that's what my timeline says. :? The Norwegian translation says he was 25 when they reached Sorrow's End and 32 when they left.

And I don't remember where I have this from, but I thought Scouter and Dewshine were about 6 years younger than Cutter, making Dewshine about 13/14 during Madcoil's attack.

Steelwhirl

I dunno, Quiver, I think it makes sense in the story when Scouter challenges Ember. I think he does it because he's been pushed to the extremes of what he can handle, and because he's doing it to protect his family. Maybe, to Scouter, his family comes before everything, and that includes the rest of the tribe.

For what it's worth, I always thought Scouter and Dewshine act as though they're in their mid-to-late teens in Fire and Flight, and then in their early/mid twenties for the rest of the Original Quest. Does their exact age really matter, though?

Startear

The fault with Scouter, as I see it is his vivid care for his family. It is not really a bad thing, but when he believes that they are threathend by something, then he acts on pure impulse and there is no way to convince him that they should do something else. It is an endearing quality, but also a little troubling

Startear

http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/forum/-5/startear-s-corner/view_489136/

One of the stories I've written with this character.

Vojira

Quote:

The fault with Scouter, as I see it is his vivid care for his family.

-snip-

It is an endearing quality, but also a little troubling

I think it's very disturbing.

After getting knocked out by that sphere in botc 11 he wakes up and the absolute only thing he seems to be thinking about is Dewshine.

He doesn't even groan, or anything.

He wakes up and it's 'Dewshine!Where...?'

Yeah I know, he loves her, but he just comes of as really obsessive.

Arill_Returns

I've done a small amount of Scouter-bashing in my time, usually running on minimal information/context and powered the righteous Power of Fangirl. I like to tell myself that I've grown up some, and now that I pause and think about him I find that Scouter is a pretty great guy.

True, he can be overprotective. I can get behind that; when I have children, God will be too terrified to help anyone who hurts them. I'm not above breaking a few faces when loved ones are in danger. When he slammed Skywise against a tree after Windkin was taken, I wanted to roll up my sleeves and help. I understand Scouter's motivation, especially when you consider that the Wolfriders live in a world filled with danger, and the lives of those he loves could be taken at any time, with little warning. He's already lost his homeland and father- he can't bear to lose more.

Also, he's pretty mansome. He's baby faced at the start of series, but he grows into a delicious slice of beefcake by the time the Wolfriders hit Blue Mountain- a firm chin, dark eyes, 'clean-shaven' without being 'bishie-sparkle' clean.

He is also the best dad ever...well, since Cutter, Strongbow, Treestump, Redlance and his own dad, that is. Wolfriders crank out some great dads, actually. Except Two-Spear. But he was kinda nuts anyway.

psychosarah999

Yeah two spear was pretty crazy but I notice the more wolf blood they had the more wild they were.

Scouter is a great guy and lucky too! Two beautiful women and two beautiful cubs! Even though windkin wasn't his by blood dew shine showed him he was wrong.

NEXT PAGE