ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Rahnee: My self is dark

Nowth

Uh...

...later.

Kitt

8) [color=green:20768b8ea2][i:20768b8ea2]Peace[/i:20768b8ea2].[/color:20768b8ea2]

innie

I loved how she was struggling with her self. She really had conflicts between starsong and wolfsong and a lot of self-doubts. She was forced to be an alpha while she was an omega. And she had to struggle to mean something, to even have a name. Very intriguing character.

Nowth

Exactly, innie. I'm a bit too bleh right now to do her justice. Love those stories.

lunakat

She's fascinating-- because her struggle was with herself as much as it was with her tribe or with the land. She struggled to balance two ways of being.. and discover who and what she was-- a balance between the elf and the wolf.

Blackbird

She is really mysterious, like her, beautiful in a..wolfy way Wink Wonder how she died?

Gazelle

I thought she died of old age, actually. with the plainsrunnersor whateva they were called. After she Recognized one of them

crescent1325

[color=darkblue:e2c416abbb]It was actually never said how she dies or when. In the last of the BoTC books:

Spoiler: She fullfills recognition, looks For Zarhan and then its all roses...or so to speak[/color:e2c416abbb]

CrescentElf

That just leads me to wonder if there not stuffed somewhere in wrap stuff,*lol* its a really weird idea but--yeah.

innie

Since the elves back then lived very far away from the forbidden grove, and the preservers were still inthe blue mountain, that's kinda impossible Wink

EmberNightfall

She's my all-time favorite character. Such a self-struggle. To be nameless and chosen by Timmorn to lead, out of all his many children. I still get chills when I read the story where she is named chief.

joselle

didn't she and Zarhan just make mad amounts of babies?

Aldar

Six. I think... Or was it seven?

Brighteyes (the first one), Kree, Ice, Prey-Pacer, Fowler, Cat... Did I forget anyone? (And this was not the correct order, btw Wink)

ReenBladesong

She was definitely my Favourite Female cheif.She was such an underdog, and cheesy though it is, I do love it when the pack omega becomes Cheif, against all odds.

Nowth

**Stay away! It has all gone wrong. I would not collect bright pebbles or disks of hard water. I would make more of me by making less of you. I would take your name, your self. It is worse than darkness. I cannot be chieftess. I can't feel the tribe, only this self. This self is a bad thing.**

Lynn Abbey's "The Good Summer", once again. No, it's not canonical. But it's imaginative, touching, and plausible to a degree... there's a sense of wonder to it that rivals the OQ to me: alien minds, born of two worlds, now groping in confusion for the mystery they are - with pebbles and feathers, trophies, possession.

"The Good Summer" is all about the wolflings' need for something more - "They don't need a purpose - just hunt, sleep, eat, and frolic", says Talen, but he's wrong. Eventually, the elf in them will feel the emptiness and seek to fill it:

"It's mine," Cate reiterated as her fingers unfolded.

Perhaps the pebble had sparkled in the daylight. It was just a dark lump now. Cat shuddered slightly when she looked at it and cast it far away before Zarhan could ask to hold it.

"It was pretty," she whisphered, sounding like a cub again, looking to her elfin father for wisdom and assurance. "It was like nothing else I'd ever seen. I wanted to keep it and give it a name of its own."

This is no show of human vanity, or human greed. This is not elves becoming less alien, less "above us". It's wolflings struggling against their own animal natures, struggling for something that's uniquely theirs - it's their elfin souls making themselves known now that everyone's safe and warm and fed.

Soulnames, too, are "of the elf". Why, then, do only wolfriders have soulnames? What is it that sets them apart from the other tribes? Their wolfblood, of course. Wolfblood protects elves, makes them part of their new world - but for a price.

Every "true" elf knows who they are: Tim-main, for example. Sef-ra, Lee-tah. As Wolfriders, they might never have found themselves... they might have been named for their bodies, or a skill or personality trait: for what they are on and to the World of Two Moons.

In Rahnee's time, then, wolflings recover what's uniquely theirs: their broken elf-names - precious little links to the vulnerable star-born elf-ness now hiding behind the snarling beast-blood. Tim, Sef, Leet, had these been Wolfriders.

"Mar," Willowgreen repeated. The look she threw toward Zarhan was deadly with contempt. "She has found Mar... or Mar has found her."

"Mara," Zarhan corrected.

"No, Mar." The healer got to her feet and made a show of cleaning her hands. "Cat was a hunter. She was everything she needed to be, then she went looking for more. Now what is she? Half an elf? Why couldn't you leave well enough alone, Fastfire? Don't the flaws in your glass tell you anything?"

This is just based on my own interpretation of the story; I'm not sure I understand it all the way it was meant.

Thallasia

Quote:
Nowth

This is just based on my own interpretation of the story; I'm not sure I understand it all the way it was meant.

That's the way I understand it too. I love that story and I like that explanation of elven names and soulnames.

Nowth

I think I'd love the words all by themselves... "It was pretty," she whisphered, sounding like a cub again, looking to her elfin father for wisdom and assurance. "It was like nothing else I'd ever seen. I wanted to keep it and give it a name of its own." If I could keep just one thing from Elfquest, it'd be... well, the firefly scene. But still.

EmberNightfall

Nowth wrote:

whether or not it was exactly as intended, it is a very very very good point

I read the anthologies for years before i ever picked up the graphic novels, and while most of the stories are not considered canon, they still speak to me as much if not more than the comics do, because they were what i knew first.

I think that is a beautiful interpretation of the difference of souls between the Wolfriders and the rest of the children of the High Ones, like Wolfriders being able to go where they will after physical death but everyone else going to the Palace regardless.

Nowth

I don't like all of the stories, not all of them feel very Elfquesty -- but yeah... good stuff regardless.

The Original Quest may ultimately touch me more because of the lovely art and lovable characters and drama and all, but BOTC has some of the most intriguing ideas...

It gives EQ an edge that I sometimes miss in the comics...

To finish my little tribute, I'd like to mention another concept given extra wolfiness in these tales -- wolfsong.

It's not a ritual in BOTC, it's not howling with the wolf-friends and commemorating past chiefs -- it's a state of mind, soothing, a way to numb hunger and pain... a place where the "true" elves can't go.

I shall again be plundering Lynn Abbey...

**Open it now. It's now-time for winter-coming. Now-time for leaving.** The chieftess resisted wolfsong, but every day thoughts had fewer words and more images.

"Not yet."

**Now.** She butted her spear into the baked mud. The mound collapsed.

Zarhan said something he hoped she'd neither hear nor understand. He retrieved a skull-sized lump from the wreckage. A hollow turquoise ball emerged from the casting. He placed it gently in his lifemate's hands.

"It's a bowl, a basket for water. You can drink from it."

She gave him a sidelong glance but raised the object to her lips.

"You have to fill it first," he explained, taking it from her. Wolfsong inhibited imagination.

**Now-time for leaving.**

I love this kinda stuff!

But does anyone know what Rahnee looks like, except for that scribbly sketchy bit in EQ #13? Just wondering. It's not terribly important... she's all concepts and ideas and words to me...

Foxeye

She's the one on the cover of the Dark Hours anthologies, I thought. I love that picture...that's the one I'd want to hang on my walls if I could. It's the perfect compliment to the edginess of the stories about her.

Nowth

Now that you say it... it does match the attire in the flashback in #13. Somehow I had never put names to the faces in the cover art. All just "dead Wolfriders from when they wore a lot of fur and beads and bones and stuff."

Foxeye

Grin

I'm convinced that the elves on the cover of the third were inspired by David Bowie and Susan Sarandon.

But yeah, she's also in that picture with all the chiefs...not sure if there's a copy online...

Nowth

David Bowie? Surely you mean the fourth.

crescent1325

You know. I always thought her hair was a thick kind of hat you know...like a snow hat or something... , untill you really look at it. Its her actually hair!:oops: me so silly!

Foxeye

Quote:
Nowth

David Bowie? Surely you mean the fourth.

Woops, yes, I do.

Nowth

Quote:
crescent1325

You know. I always thought her hair was a thick kind of hat you know...like a snow hat or something... , untill you really look at it. Its her actually hair!:oops: me so silly!

Whaaat? *looks* Ohboi... you might be right. I really thought it was a fur hat. I wish it were a fur hat. Please be a fur hat. I mean, it has the same colour as her, er, what do you call them, cuffs?

crescent1325

Grin

i rationalized it my saying that since she is 1/4 wolf, that her hair is coarser then elf hair. so more wolfie like...

Nowth

But it looks so... you know, like it were bent around the rim?

crescent1325

:?:

cactus

Surprised This one?!?

Is that Rahnee? And that's her hair Surprised ? It looks like a poodle, complete with hanging ears and all Grin .

Foxeye

I always thought she just had snaggly hair. If someone can dig up a scan from the print Wendy did of the 10 chiefs, I think her hair is the same style, and I believe she has the same yellow eyes (unlike the mary-sue-violet of the BotC anthologies).

Speaking of, I just read something about Zarhan that I need to put in his thread. Surprised

cactus

Yes, I just thought of that pic too :D . The hair has the same style, but it looks less... eh.. stiff? there. More fluffy and hairlike, but still with the poodle -ears Grin .
And I think her outfit is quite "unique" as well.

crescent1325

i love her in that pic. OMG. such power in her! and yes...her hair looks like HAIR in that pic too!

innie

Does anybody know where this Rahnee pic is from? It's drawn by Wendy.
Edit: Nevermind, I've discovered it's in the big gatherum. But anyway, I really like the pic.

lunakat

I think the early Wolfriders were very hairy...

half wolf an' all...

Foxeye

I think that pic is actually "Vaya, daughter of stone", an earlier character of Wendy's. If you look close, you can see the extra finger.

innie

Yeah, you're right. She has five fingers, so it must be Vaiya. But I found the picture on a site dedicated to Rahnee, so probably they made a mistake. She's got the hair :) Too bad there aren't more pictures of Rahnee, she really intrigues me.

Thallasia

I think on the cover of anthology #2 Rahnee's hair looks the least like a hat.... With the result that it makes her look a little like Tina Turner in the 80s....

Sorry, couldn't find a smaller pic ;)

StarShine

That one picture of Rahnee brought to mind the idea that perhaps (only because of the hair) she could be somehow related to Treestump (maybe just a tad). I've never read the Anothologies (and they're out of print :() so I sadly must just hear stories about them.

I think Rahnee's cool, and according to the Anothlogy stuff posted on this post alone.. I could FEEL the comflict between wolf song and star song within her.

innie

I think all wolfriders are somehow related to Rahnee, just like it's normal that all elves resemble the High Ones somehow. I don't see a specific resemblance between Treestump and Rahnee, and even if there were, it wouldn't make him a closer descendant than the other wolfriders. There's a timespan of 10,000 years between Rahnee's 'reign' and Cutter's, they're all family, so to speak.

Does Rahnee have a chief's lock on that cover? If she does, the hair certainly hides it well. In other pics she does have a chief's lock, does that mean that she started that tradition?

Eque

I think, Timmorn was the first that had a "chief's lock"... but i think he just had it beacause of the function... when he died the next cheif (Rahnee) got it, it startet a tradition... Have I got it right? Wink

valkerie

Rahnee Fanart, I just just did this recently and thought that I would share it with the Rahnee fans
[img:86e5bb7359]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/valkerie/Rahneetheshewolf.jpg[/img:86e5bb7359]

Minouche

Indeed, there could be no better place to post it. :D

krwordgazer

Gorgeous! Surprised :clap:

innie

Wow, that is gorgeous indeed! And her hair looks completely normal, and still very Rahnee-like, without turning into a hat :P so great job. I like the fact that she looks cute, and she's smiling, that makes it different from every other Rahnee pic out there.

dewshine_lover_1

I drew this picture of her along time ago..but i thought i would post it anyway.

[img:2a5f651ac7]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/lilpeach192001/Wolfrider%20pictures/Rhanee.jpg[/img:2a5f651ac7]

krwordgazer

Nice! :D

Willowspring

eep... poor rabbit.
Very good Dewy ^^

Embala

Rahnee - Blood of One Chief

Elaisa

oh wow thats a stunning drawing :)

I always loved Rahnee from all the pictures I had seen of her,

but some years back when I read comming of age I totally fell in love with her char :)

Embala

Good idea! Rahnee's fab - and I like her furs :D

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Thornbrake

Here's a pic of Rahnee and Timmorn inspired by a story in Blood of Ten Chiefs. I drew this back in 1988 when I was 13.

Startear

Rahnee is my favorite character in the anthologies. I've always liked her look and found her intriguing. After all, she is Timmorn's daughter. But in the books she is so much more. She struggles with herself, not knowing who she is, and even after she knows. Lynn Abbey really has knack of story telling and fleshed her out wonderfully.

Embala

You were very good as a kid already, Thornbrake! I like how Timmorn is all determind while Rahnee seems to be shy and insecure.

Embala

Trying to bring Dewy's picture back:

Quote:

I drew this picture of her along time ago..but i thought i would post it anyway.

Startear

Oh my! That drawing is simply gorgeous!

Thornbrake

Quote:

Rahnee is my favorite character in the anthologies. I've always liked her look and found her intriguing. After all, she is Timmorn's daughter. But in the books she is so much more. She struggles with herself, not knowing who she is, and even after she knows. Lynn Abbey really has knack of story telling and fleshed her out wonderfully.

Totally agree. While not every story in the BoTC's anthologies were perfect, on the whole they were pretty awesome. The Rahnee ones were some of my favorites. It's been AGES since I read any of them. I think I need to re-read the whole series.

Quote:

You were very good as a kid already, Thornbrake! I like how Timmorn is all determind while Rahnee seems to be shy and insecure.

Thanks! Smile If I recall correctly I was trying to illustrate the scene where Timmorn basically forces Rahnee into accepting her name and her role as his chosen successor by thrusting a bloody spear into her hand.

Vojira

Quote:

Here's a pic of Rahnee and Timmorn inspired by a story in Blood of Ten Chiefs. I drew this back in 1988 when I was 13.

You made this at 13?

Holy Hekel.

Niiiiiice.

Thornbrake

Quote:

You made this at 13?

Holy Hekel.

Niiiiiice.

Thanks! I taught myself to draw by studying Elfquest. Later, I went on to take more formal art lessons. If you check out my photo gallery on my profile page here on EQ.com, I've posted some pictures showing the evolution of my drawing skill (some of it's pretty funny). But it's something that I haven't done much of in the last 15 years simply because of other life pursuits. I need to change that.

Startear

Spoilers!

Quote:
Thanks! Smile If I recall correctly I was trying to illustrate the scene where Timmorn basically forces Rahnee into accepting her name and her role as his chosen successor by thrusting a bloody spear into her hand.

This sequence?

Quote:
Lynn Abbey
**I have failed,** Yellow-Eyes howled, filled with his mother's despair. **Her people do not hunt and do not have children. My children see only each other and chafe to be free of their weaker, elfin kin - and I grow old. I can no longer hold my family together , so I shall let it fall asunder and pass my spear to the strongest of my first-born.**

No one had marked the spear beside him until he flung it across the fire pit into the ground at his silver-haired daughter's feet. They all gasped, but none more loudly than she did herself, recoiling from the stout wood as if it were a venomous snake looming over her in the night.

**Find your name, kitling,** he sent to her alone.

Thornbrake

Quote:

This sequence?

That's the one!

Embala

Really hope this will show, too!

Quote:

Rahnee Fanart, I just just did this recently and thought that I would share it with the Rahnee fans

Allura

Embala

Rahnee is downright gorgeous! The pose , the contrast of cosy fur (wonderful soft and fluffy again), the special hair-fur ... and last not least her alien features - somply perfect.

RedheadEmber

To Name a Cub

"You want to name her what?" Zarhan looked at his lifemate, who was currently cradling their third cub,a little girl, in her arms, with an expression who could hardly be desribed. Rahnee's expression on the other hand was that of a mother's love for her newborn.

"Brighteyes!" She answered proudly. "Look at her eyes, can she be anything but a brighteyes?"

"But..." Zarhan begun, though knowing that arguing with his hot-heated lifemate was completely senseless, she did afterall have her sire's wolfblood running hot through her veins. "But you named both Cat and Prunepit 'Brighteyes' when they were first born."

"They too both had very bright eyes."

She was right, Zarhan had too agree that both their oldest daughter and their son had had remarkably bright eyes when they'd been newborns.

"Brighteyes it is." He said, smiling proudly at his lifemate and daughter.

"Brighteyes it is." Rahnee confirmed. "Until she can be given a prober Wolfrider's name."

Embala

That's so cute, Redhead! I can really imagine this scene Happy
*imagines Zarhan's expression, Rahnee's tender care and the brighteyes cubling*

Great to get some writing from you again.

RedheadEmber

Thanks.

And apparently their third child actually ended up being named 'Brighteyes' all her life (of course I don't know about the genders... other than Prunepit/Preypacer...)

Allura

That was a cute little piece from you, RedHead! And now that's I've actually read some of the books, I can 'see' them better. I like it!

MultiFacets

I love Rahnee. She's alluring, awkward, strong, feral, and did her best as she knew it to be chieftess, even as she struggled with herself. Watching her grow from nameless adolescent to her place of power to finally being able to "retire" with Zarhan was quite a trip, and I liked it a lot. I wish I could've seen how the last part of her story turned out.

Saint_Parallelogram

I have mixed feelings about the Rahnee stories. They were well written but the treatment of soul names was all screwed up. It implied that full blooded Wolf riders were incomplete by only knowing half their soulnames-while in the comics the soul name was a source of strength.

Mkal

I felt that they handled the soul names perfectly. In the comic, when Winnowill attacks Cutter, she goes to his soul name, thinking that she will be able to have power over him as she did for Dewshine. She was able to manipulate Dewshine because she was weak from denying Recognition. However, when she went for his soul name, she found the wolf half of him waiting for her. It does not mean that they are incomplete. It means that they are not full elves and have a place on the world. The price of that claim is the loss of their full elfin name. The Wolfriders have the wolf blood to replace that lost half. It is there that their strength comes from.