ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

ElfQuest's Sexiest: Old Maggotty

PAQMAN67

Surprised Grin Just kidding!! I wanted to see if everyone was awake. I was surprised that no one's mentioned her as a character yet! I mean she's the Troll version of Savah to her kin! I love her earthy (I guess some would say "Up Yours!!") wisdom. She does care about her family, in a rough about way. She di save Cutter's life when he got that arrow stuck in him, also Strpngbow's know that I think of it. What does everybody think? Is the "Maiden of Muck" a "cool" character or not? Wink [/b]

ReenBladesong

I know ya just joking...I think....but Maggotty is a great character.Shes the power behind the scenes.

crescent1325

[color=indigo:5eb2ae04d9]Wow, What a way to make a Splash on to the Board! lol.

Old Maggoty. hm, now thats one intresting Troll chick. I mean Compare her to Oddbit (no offense to any Oddbit fans out there.) but Granny got it. She definatly is the Equivilant to Savah, although it took the rise of Picknoses kingdom for her to get her Due respect.

She is independent and Self relient. Definatly, my fave troll. Even though in the begining of the quest she was one for schemeing against the elves and trying to rile up the go backs against the wolfriders in B4.

O, BTW.

[size=24:5eb2ae04d9]WELCOME[/size:5eb2ae04d9] to the forum..hope to see more posts from you PAQ[/color:5eb2ae04d9]

PAQMAN67

Thanks Crescent! I love what I've seen of the board, everyone seems to like each other. There are other boards where "Snarky" seems to be everybody's middle name (or at least attitude) That is SO not the case in this board! Thanks to all! Keep up your cheery natures!
Frank.

ReenBladesong

8) Yeah, we're all cool round our way...save for the occasional and minor catfight between Kitt and Emerald....over Tyleets eye colour... [color=green:7363193961]Green?[/color:7363193961][color=orange:7363193961]Gold?[/color:7363193961]You decide!

Fourleafclover

Yes! The high level of respect around here keeps me coming back again and again.

But back to it.... Old Maggoty is a fab character! She could have been a Queen but I liked how she tried to stack the cards in favor for other members of her family.

Goodberry

I love Old Maggoty. If the trolls weren't so patriarchal, she could've been a wonderful ruler! She pretty much is anyway, accomplished through manipulation, wisdom, and cunning.

crescent1325

[quote:998394cee9="Fourleafclover"]Yes! The high level of respect around here keeps me coming back again and again.[/quote:998394cee9]

[color=violet:998394cee9]Here, Here![/color:998394cee9]

Kitt

[color=green:07aee3fae0]When I read the title of this thread, I nearly choked on my Cheerios :P :roflmao: Anyhoo, welcome to the list! :D[/color:07aee3fae0]

joselle

I think Old Maggot's always run the show, or rather lets Picky run it for her. Seems like she'd rather have her own freedom and such to putter around and discover new things that she couldn't have if she was actually sitting in the throne....but don't you know she has her own ways of getting Picky to do exactally what she wants him too? :P

Prism

Maggoty gets Picknose to do what she wants by bullying,nagging,bribery,browbeating and sheer intimidation! And I really would've liked to've seen more of her relationship with ShenShen.

Thaïs

[quote:79681364f4="Prism"]And I really would've liked to've seen more of her relationship with ShenShen.[/quote:79681364f4]

Indeed! I liked how she became Shenshen's mentor with the herbalism and potion-brewing. They are the Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison of Elfquest, and I would love to see more of their antics.

JadeOwl

Quote:
Thaïs

[quote:9338702903="Prism"]And I really would've liked to've seen more of her relationship with ShenShen.

Indeed! I liked how she became Shenshen's mentor with the herbalism and potion-brewing. They are the Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison of Elfquest, and I would love to see more of their antics.[/quote:9338702903]

pssst...I wrote a story about them..it's in the "Hidden Moments" thread.

Anyway, I love Old Maggoty. She seems above the other troll's petty squabbling, which is not to say that she doesn't take part, but that she's got her priorities straight. I would like to see a conversation between her and Savah. I think they would get along great.

Minouche

Quote:
Jade Owl

[quote:1c0f09e06e="Thaïs"][quote:1c0f09e06e="Prism"]And I really would've liked to've seen more of her relationship with ShenShen.

Indeed! I liked how she became Shenshen's mentor with the herbalism and potion-brewing. They are the Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison of Elfquest, and I would love to see more of their antics.[/quote:1c0f09e06e]

pssst...I wrote a story about them..it's in the "Hidden Moments" thread.

Anyway, I love Old Maggoty. She seems above the other troll's petty squabbling, which is not to say that she doesn't take part, but that she's got her priorities straight. I would like to see a conversation between her and Savah. I think they would get along great.[/quote:1c0f09e06e]
I find her wise and crusty enough to be one of the most unforgetable characters. You know, the one who outlasts leaders and fools to pass on their knowledge to the young wise enough to listen. I think Drub and Flam were among those.

Trollbabe

Even a "patriarchal" Troll society didn't stop Drub from becoming Queen. I think Maggoty is less a leader than she is a type of counsellor. I don't know if she would actually want to rule a Troll community as much as tell the leader what to do. She prides herself more in herbal medicine than in trying to run things. Maggoty picks on Picknose because she is the spawn of mother-in-law jokes.

You have to give the Trolls credit for all the healing they have to do without the benefit of magic.

Minouche

This is what I meant. Had she not listened to wise old Maggoty when she was a kid, Drub wouldn't have become a queen.

Trollbabe

To be fair, Khavi was very influential in Drub's decision to lead.

Fluffy

Ah, Old Maggoty. I love that old bitty of a troll! XD Ever since she suddenly had a bigger role in the Original Quest (see book 2) and became a more rounded character, she's the type of troll that would get along with anyone (in any sense of the word xD) while still keeping to her roots. She knows herself, knows what she wants out of life, and she won't let anyone else tell her otherwise.

There's also a maternal side to her, since she's always looked after Oddbit, Trinket, and Picknose (I wouldn't be surprised if her wit or a whap on his head saved his life more than once). She's also very opinionated, one of the main reasons I like her so much. I'm also opinionated, and so is my family, and I've found with that trait a strong sense of integrity isn't too far behind ^-^

cactus

I got a new respect for her when she yelled at Oddbit for blaming Cutter in KoBW, right after Rayek has stolen the palace. I did not see that coming at all, I expected her to jump right at Cutter too Surprised . Which means I didn't know her at all. She really understood the situation and consequences beyond the fact that Trinket was gone.

Then there's the fact that she saved Strongbow and his Wolffriend. She''ll always have my gratitude for that :D .

Trollbabe

In the first Palace War, Original Quest #17, Cutter and Skywise discover Picknose and Old Maggotty working as mine slaves for Guttlekraw:

http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/OQ/OQ17/_Original ElfQuest - 17_page=1#_24#

In this whole issue, I didn't notice any other women or elderly Trolls working in the mining pits. Guttlekraw kept women in the women's quarters. Why was Maggotty sent to the mines?

Picknose, Maggotty and Oddbit were captured long after the rest of their people, so they may have been regarded differently by their captors. I can see why Picknose would have been sent to the mines. He was ambitious, a potential troublemaker, so he would not have made a suitable guard. Oddbit became the king's favorite, which has been her roll with three different kings. But in every other life situation, Maggotty has been valued for her medicinal skills. Certainly she would have been valuable as a medic, to Guttlekraw's army.

Maggotty was probably satisfied that her granddaughter Oddbit was at the king's feet, instead of in the mines. Perhaps she made some kind of trade-off to help Oddbit secure her own comfort and safety. Maggotty seems too smart to have made enemies with Guttlekraw. Guttlekraw seems to be too resourceful to waste Maggotty's skills in the mines.

Stormcatcher

I guess Guttlekraw was just afraid that Maggoty would use her herbal skills to poison him. Tyrants usually go paranoid during their reign...

Trollbabe

In "Wolfrider", when Maggoty first appears, she claims to be one of the pretty ones who will be missed. I would like to read stories about Young Maggoty, when she was pretty like Oddbit.

Embala

The Power behind the Throne? Wink

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

And a full body shot from "good old days"

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

Saint_Parallelogram

Did Old Maggoty eventually die of old age? I don't remember seeing her in Picknose's kingdom after the Kahvi series.

Embala

This would be the first evidence that Trolls are actually mortal - extremely long living, but mortal.

The Final Quest Prologue hinted that Picknose's Trolls will have a role in the Final Quest. Guess we need to wait some more time ... IF Maggoty died I'll bet it will be mentioned somehow. Wouldn't be surprised to see her well and kicking, tho.

Startear

Trollbabe said: Maggotty was probably satisfied that her granddaughter Oddbit was at the king's feet, instead of in the mines. Perhaps she made some kind of trade-off to help Oddbit secure her own comfort and safety. Maggotty seems too smart to have made enemies with Guttlekraw. Guttlekraw seems to be too resourceful to waste Maggotty's skills in the mines.

Oh, I like this thought!

Edit;

I went to check. She is alive when Rayek and Cutter is fighting.

photo magootylives_zps37e49bb1.jpg

RedheadEmber

She's present during the battle in Shards 2 as well.

RichardPini

Trolls are potentially immortal, so there's nothing inherently stopping her from, oh, let's be wild here, hobnobbing with Jink in future times to come. 8-X

Eyeshigh

JINK! Won't she be queezy when Old Maggoty hops/ jinks with Jink!

Embala

RichardPini said: Trolls are potentially immortal
Loos like we have the answer to the question whether Trolls are immortal or only have a very long lifespan. ;)

Trollbabe

As a Troll, I'm happy with this news.

RedheadEmber

I thought the trolls are immortal thing was revealed ages ago.
As in, immortal in the same way the immortal elves are; can be killed, but won't die of old age.

Embala

I've looked at it the same way, Red. But there was always some discussion whether the Trolls might be "only" extremely long living because
- its obvious that they physically age
- they seem to reproduce unlimited
Enough hints for mortality to spark speculation.

Startear

I think a part of it has to do with that the trolls were originally with hair, was influenced to live longer. The coneheads never was, and has the ability to shapeshift, until most of them got stuck. But they had surpassed the bodies ability to grow older, so to speak. Trolls were probably still beginning to go that way, first by becoming immortal, soom ageless... Until they rebelled.

Back on topic, i wonder how come Magotty stuck to the same style for so many years. I'd love to see her in different designs and colors.