ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Zey

Phantomsinger

http://boingboing.net/2015/03/03/le-petit-prince-meets-rosetta.html

Phantomsinger

Yeah, I know he was a bad fellow, attacking Sorrow's End, being responsible for Shushen's death (and the deaths of others), but there's just something about him. He knows what he wants and will stop at nothing to get there.

I would have liked to know a little bit more about him. I always imagined him to be one of the cubs guarded by Redlance during the elf-troll war. Besides he does have an uncanny resemblance to long-death Two-Spear (another favourite character of mine)

[/img]

Kitt

:x He was just too mean to like! I mean, he attacked the MOST PEACEABLE of ALL the elves! SAVAGELY! No, I don't like him at all! :x

...then again, so did Kahvi which is why I'm not big on that chic, either! Evil Grin

Suzene

Kahvi at least just came in looking to intimidate her way to the prize. She scared the Sunfolk out of their wits and wrecked a couple of houses, but at least she didn't attack the Sunfolk themselves. I'm not saying that excuses Kahvi's aggression, but it does leave me willing to cut her some slack.

Zey, on the other hand, came in looking to cut a bloody path to the little palace, and this was after betraying his chief and running the Go Backs into the ground in Kahvi's absence. More than his attack on Sorrow's End, I despise Zey for allowing the Go-Backs to backslide. Go Backs aren't known for grand dreams; they tend to think in short, straight lines. At least under Kahvi, they had a goal -- find the Palace, keep the Palace. Under Zey, they weren't going anythere. They just fighting for the sake of fighting, because they'd never known anything else. Kahvi called him on that and his pride couldn't take the hit.

Suzene

EmberNightfall

i need some help, I can't seem to remember which comics the Little Palace War were in.....and it's starting to drive me crazy ;)

I remember the beginning when Kahvi first returned to the Go-Backs, and instantly disliking Zey....

Minouche

Ember, it's in The Hidden Years hard back with Tyleet and little patch on the cover, but I coudn't tell you in which comics.

I think Zey and Door suffer from a Napoleon complex, a bumbling brain, and just enough charisma to wreck destruction. Small scale Hitlers along the line of thankfully deceased Idi Amin Dada. I've no sympathy or liking for those who, unable to find happiness, look for ways to distroy the one others have found. Two Spears at least was completely insane, and the harm he did to his tribe wasn't completely deliberate.

Foxeye

He always reminds me of Christian Slater (I wonder if Wendy used him as a model?) I bet his voice sounds like Christian Slater too, from Heathers.

I sorta liked him when we first met him, in a sort of "ooh, cool, a villain who isn't Winnowill and seems completely believable given the circumstances. But then when the actual war was told in New Blood, he turned one-dimensional and Eeeeeeviiiil. I was hoping for a storyline where he didn't intend the violence to happen, but arrogance and ignorance escalated and it was a tragedy on all sides, but instead...eh....he was just Bad to the Bone.

EmberNightfall

Thanks guys, I was able to find it.

It begins in Hidden Years and continues in New Blood...the story of the all-out war can be found in the "Forevergreen" graphic novel.

i'm at a loss for words....truly

ReenBladesong

I dont think that Zey was with Redlance during the battle for the palace.
Kahvi says he was born after she went"Jaunting"
Zeys hair colour was cool but he was a jealous, selfish little prat.
Thats all I have to say.

Fourleafclover

Quote:
Phantomsinger

I would have liked to know a little bit more about him. I always imagined him to be one of the cubs guarded by Redlance during the elf-troll war. Besides he does have an uncanny resemblance to long-death Two-Spear (another favourite character of mine)

But didn't Kahvi say "Zey? Born since I've been out jaunting?"

Willowspring

Quote:
Fourleafclover

[quote:73d247fcb6="Phantomsinger"]

But didn't Kahvi say "Zey? Born since I've been out jaunting?"[/quote:73d247fcb6]
yep!

Trollbabe

Which should have indicated to Khavi that she spent too much time out jaunting...

Suzene

At that point, she hadn't had much of a choice. Until she and Tyldak hooked up, Kahvi was more or less stranded in the new land with the Wolfriders. And I imagine it took them a danged long time to find their way back to the Go Backs once they did set out.

Windwalker

Zey...I dunno. I agree that it would have been better had he not been so dullishly evil. I mean, even Chot has a good side to him. Zey is just motivated by his own desires.
But yeah, he does look a little like Two-Spear. Makes you wonder....

innie

I haven't read the new blood storyline, where the Go-Backs attack the Sunfolk, but it totally freaks me out. One day it's like: 'elves don't kill elves', next thing you know, there's a war going on between elves. I just don't understand why they made the Go-Backs into something 'evil'. They're harsh warriors, but certainly not like that. Winnowill is evil too, but it seems to me that there died a lot more elves in that war than Winnie has ever managed to do. There's been made a comparison to Two-Spear. We all think Two-Spear was completely insane, but he has never put up a war, even if he could easily have.
I know Kahvi wasn't their leader at that point, and that she and other Go-Backs helped the Sunfolk and fought against Zey. But it's still bugging me. Maybe it's more comprehensible if you have read the story, I wouldn't know.

lunakat

You know what I want to know?

How the heck did they get all the way from the ice-covered-mountains to the desert?!

and you know they didn't have any lodestone!

Yngvar

You know, Suzene's summary of the two separate attacks on the Sun Village made a thought spring to mind:

Kahvi = George Bush sr.
Zey = George Bush jr.

I know that this is wrong on so many levels, but I thought it was worth a post. :)

crescent1325

Quote:
lunakat

How the heck did they get all the way from the ice-covered-mountains to the desert?!

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

after the preservers beat up Chot and made him fall off his bird, Chot treked it back to the frozen north, where he kinda lied about what happend and Zey decided to "reclaim" the mini palace. With Chot leading them back to Sorrows end. But now that i remember correctly, they took the tunnel of Golden light back to the Desert. How Chot knew about where and what it was, i dont know. *shurgs*

innie

The journey from the frouzen mountains to the desert is a long, long one. It's not just a little trip or something, it must take months, according to the novels etc.
Kahvi at least had giant birds to get there. How much Go-Backs came along with Zey? It all just doesn't make sense to me. If they just wanted to start another war, they could get one closer to home, with the trolls. Or did Rayek's ravine seperate them from the trolls? In that case, maybe they 'missed' the sensation of having a war. Or was the little palace so important for our evil Zey? If they were that interested in having a great trophy, they could have thought about something else too. Why go travelling for months to slaughter a whole village of elves? I don't like the way the Go-Back tribe has changed over the years, according to that story, even if not whole the tribe participated, and agreed to the war.

lunakat

Innie makes some good points! The whole scenario just doesn't make a truckload of sense. And how would Chet have known the way home, anyhow? Cutter and Skywise wandered for months before discovering the forbidden grove... and then the Wolfriders followed Voll for days to get to the mountains.

I just don't see how he could randomly stumble upon the correct path home.

crescent1325

i agree there...

Vojira

First time I ever saw him was on the 'rats,wildcards & loners' plate. I remember liking his design and I kinda thought he looked like he could be related to one of the Wolfriders...
Shame the stories he's in are so freaking bad.

sulken

I actually like the Wendy-drawn Zey (and Chot), too. They look cool, and I don't sympathise with the elves enough to hate the evil one's gutsWink.

And indeed, it's not their fault the NB-stories tend to be, somewhat strange (never liked Chot being so freakishly ridiculous)

Vojira

Quote:

I actually like the Wendy-drawn Zey (and Chot), too. They look cool, and I don't sympathise with the elves enough to hate the evil one's gutsWink.

And indeed, it's not their fault the NB-stories tend to be, somewhat strange (never liked Chot being so freakishly ridiculous)

Agree with you on that!^^

Can't really see why some people hate these characters with a passion because they started a war with the Sun folk. Honestly, they can't all be nice.

Startear

Wendy's image of Zey. I love his design, and the start.

Startear

Quote:

I just reread the series. According to New Blood, it took them three eights of days from they decided to go into the troll caverns, and find a water hole. That does make somewhat sense, taking that long. However the trolls should have discovered that pointy-eared filth was among them, in the shadows. After that, it takes not long before they are at the golden tunnel.

Then they are in the dessert, killing. Right after the zwoot stampeed.

Now, it takes three days to cross the dessert from the tunnel of golden light, according to the map. There is no way they could have gotten there so fast.

Vojira

Tried to draw Zey for Startear.

Trollbabe

Looks great! I like his attitude.

Startear

:D

So people, who do you think would be a good lovemate to Zey?

Vojira

Hmmm, I can't really see him in an healthy relationship.

Sleepr

Newstar would be a good match for him. She's soft spoken but still a Wolfrider. I think that she could manipulate his moods much the way Joyleaf did Bearclaw's.

Startear

You might be right, Vojira. Some people may see me as the ultimate shipper, and a little hypocrite because I'm also asking for more characters who have no interest in lovemating. (Basically an aromantic and asexual.) What really is starting to work me up to ridiculous measures isn't the fact that characters in work of fiction are having girlfriends or boyfriends. But the sad tendency that it is the villain or bad guy in a story is usually the one who ends up alone. You could argue that it is because the villains has bad qualities which makes them unable to uphold it, or that they are indeed unable to love. While it isn't unrealistic, it is that almost all of them are. Mind you, this isn't in ElfQuest alone.

Sorry if it sounded like a rant, but it has been fuming in me for a while.

To get back on topic, in a modernized world, where do you guys think Zey would be? Personally I can see him as a motorcyclist up to no good. He'd clash violently with the police. And perhaps he'd be the runner of an ElfQuest gang.

Trollbabe

I agree, Startear, he would be a good gangleader. But in the modern world, with so many possibilities, he could also become a powerful, ethically challenged leader in the corporate world.

I see what you mean about villains ending up alone. Vey and Newstar would make an interesting story. A villain can have a love interest who isn't a villain. This does happen in real life. I could also imagine Vey's innocent lover wanting vengeance for hi death, even if he deserved it.

Vojira

Quote:

Newstar would be a good match for him. She's soft spoken but still a Wolfrider. I think that she could manipulate his moods much the way Joyleaf did Bearclaw's.

I don't think that would work. As much as I dislike Bearclaw, I acknowledge he has some good in him.
I don't think Zey has anything that could be worked with.
I know that's harsh, but I don't remember seeing any indication in the comics of him having any sort of lovemate relationship with anybody. Or that he had any interest in any whatsoever.
What he wanted out of life was power and that seems to be it.

Put Newstar with him, then she's going to be abused.
Unless she's really smart and sees there's no hope, then she's not going to even bother with him.

Unless you think she has a 'I can' save him' complex?

RedheadEmber

Zey, from what little I've read about him, seems to be pretty addicted to power. He didn't seem too thrilled when Kahvi returned, did he?

Maybe, just maybe his actions came from some stupid notion of I'll show them who's the better chief!

Also... if I recall correctly the first raid on Sorrow's End (the one lead by Kahvi) was basically quick in, steal the Little Palace, quick out. Scare, not hurt! It's very likely I'm wrong though... been a while since I've read that story...

Startear

I think you're quite right Redhead. By gaining the Little Palace they would achieve several things. Vengeance over the death of their former chief. A new cause. In Zey's case, I think that showing how he could do what Kahvi failed was a bigger motivation than vengeance.

Embala

I remember that I mentioned somewhere that I like his look. Some more pictures -
Zey drawn by Barry Blair (left) and Wendy Pini (right)

You can guess which ones I prefer Wink
... tho I consider the "Elf War" and early "Forevergreen" issues as comparably well drawn.

JRoseberry

Newstar would be Willowgreen to Zey's Two-Spear.

Embala

@JRoseberry Because of the contrast in look? Elfy against wolfish?

In behavior I can imagine Zey comparable to late Two-Spear ... but Newstar - cannot imagine her submissive like Willowgreen. Then again - they are children of VERY different times and circumstances.

RedheadEmber

Hmm... how did Zey become chief?
Yes, I know he became chief arfter Urda died, but wouldn't there have been other more obvious choices in succeed her? Mardu for instance.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't believe the Urda died during a hunt story for one second? Dunno why, but I wouldn't put it past Zey to arrange her death somehow.

Eyeshigh

I agree with you! He striked me as a "dangerous" character, capable to do the worst things possible.....

travelbug

Zey seems to be the type to grab a chance if it comes by.
I dont think he could be related to Urda or Mardu more than any other go-back.