ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Bowki!

Kitt

Dude, talk about getting jipped!! Dart has a child who I can imagine A LOT of folks just don't know about! :( That ain't right! The poor thing :( He got the shortest lived story (after Chepair) in the entire world of EQ. :( ...poor little guy.

Starmist

Yeah, he definitely got too little show-time. I wonder what happend to him, he was such a sweetie. Do you think Dart has forgotten all about him? After SatS and Discovery I actually completely forgot myself that Dart has a kid! :oops:

Aldar

I usually don't get why people are so anxious to bring back past characters (Vaya, One-Eye, Crescent; the reason why people care so much about them is because they're not there anymore) after their outdone their work and left behind or killed (which is also the reason why I don't like how the elves so easily can communicate with deceased ones in the Palace), but Bowki is one of the few cases where I actually agree. One would think that the son of Dart would be important enough to feature in more than about one page. Of course, it has its appeal that we don't know much about him (makes us read between the lines, you know?), but... I mean, he has Strongbow and Moonshade's line on one side and Woodlock and Rainsong's on the other. Instead of giving Strongbow and Moonshade another child, Bowki could easily have replaced Chitter's role in my eyes.

nevaratoiel

I wonder, does he still live or is he dead. The only thing I know about Bowki is his name and his family line... Can anyone fill me in on this?

And Aldar, love your signature. :P

Aldar

Quote:
nevaratoiel

And Aldar, love your signature. :P

Not more than I do. Wink

I'm pretty sure Bowki is dead. His mother Serrin was half Wolfrider, half Sun Folk, and Dart said she would live longer than the average Wolfrider, but she was apparently still mortal. Bowki, however, was only 1/4 Sun Folk, and probably had a shorter lifespan than his mother.

nevaratoiel

Quote:
Aldar

Not more than I do. Wink

HAH! You think... :P

Does he has any offspring then? Or didn't he reproduce at all! It seems to me there's too little known about him. Did Warp even gave it more thought? I mean... it's Strongbow and Moonshade's grand child... d'oh!

Aldar

Quote:
nevaratoiel

[quote:7dd52faaf1="Aldar"]Not more than I do. Wink

HAH! You think... :P[/quote:7dd52faaf1]
No, I know. 8)

Whether he had any offspring, it's all up to you, really. I honestly don't think we're going to learn more about him, and quite frankly, to me it would be a little late now. There are enough characters already, and Bowki is most probably dead and buried a long time ago anyway. My guess is that, seeing how he was trained by Dart before he went back into wrapstuff, Bowki became a hunter and protector much like the Jack-Wolfriders.

emerald

I also wonder about this character. Doesn't Dart still think about him? I wonder if he's ever tried to talk to him in the palace? :?

Fourleafclover

There are some Bowki pictures in the requested pictures thread, I think.

Minouche

We can't know everything about every character but, as the French say: les gens heureux n'ont pas d'histoire (happy people don't have a story[or history]) Bowki probably live a long happy healthy and fullfilling life and died a calm contented elf. That's why, I think, you see neither Dart nor Newstar mourning his passing before them. They may, for all we know, touch base with him or just feel his contentment in the palace, and that's enough for them.

ReenBladesong

Although it's somewhat difficult for me to imagine Dart as a dad, I do wish we could just see him mention Bowki for once.

crescent1325

What i wonder is, Do Moonshade and Strongbow know that they had a grandcub? do they ever wonder if he had off spring? does Dart wonder this?

it makes you wonder about what happened in the Sunvillage for those 10000 years...

Aldar

They probably know about Bowki. I mean... Yeah, they do. And one has to read between the lines here, I think. Just because we don't see Dart mentioning or thinking about Bowki, that doesn't mean he doesn't off-screen. The same with Strongbow and Moonshade, for that matter.

crescent1325

most likely. Or does the Now swallow it up for them?

Aldar

I thought about that. I was leaning towards that as a part of the explanation, but Strongbow, for example, is still haunted by Crescent's fate (at least until Chitter came tumbling out of nowhere), so I don't know how strong the Now is in that family. :?

crescent1325

Good theories! Blowing mines outta the water!

*Runs and Nuggies Aldar*

Aldar

I know! I'm suddenly being all serious and stuff! Surprised

crescent1325

Whoa Stop the presses! lol..

krwordgazer

Having Bowki did seem to give Dart a measure of healing from his past. At least he smiled again. But I wonder how it was for Bowki, having a father who must often have been distant, sunk in his own melancholy over the whole Go-Back killing thing and Shushen's death.

crescent1325

See, he didnt see all melancholy to me when Bowki was born. He seemed content. I dont understand why he went back inbut he seemed to be content with his life...maybe for plot purposes *shurgs*

dewshine_lover_1

well where is bowki now, i mean dart is with cutter in discovery, why didnt bowki go with his father? well i guess since his mother is a sunvillager..and yet wings daughter..well anyway i guess he stayed there with her for his own reasons..but it would be nice to see him as an adult!

crescent1325

I think he might have died along with Serring. Seriously. Cuz well what is it? 3000 is the avarage life of a oldaged wolf rider? and he was born in a 10000 year gab. I think he lived it to his natural end too...*sniff*

Badger

Is this Bowki?

Aldar

That is Bowki. Cutie pie. :)

The one-page appearance doesn't leave much room for interpretation either way. As I said; I think people have to read what they want to into it. Dart didn't really seem that depressed in the few panels, but then he suddenly felt the need to return to wrapstuff, so he had to be sad off-screen. His decision is not sufficiently explained, and it also diminishes Bowki's importance. Again, I feel that there were better ways to make Dart (temporarily) happy again, than to give him a child. I think that his relationship with Kimo could have been emphasized more instead.

Still, I like Bowki far better than Chitter, and think that, if handled a little differently, and possibly born a while later, he could have replaced her role in Strongbow and Moonshade's lives.

Badger

Quote:
Aldar

That is Bowki. Cutie pie. :)

He is. ^^
Couple of years ago, one EQ-fan made a small query for us other fans.
Last question was: "Anything else to say?"
I had to think hard, then I wrote: 'Bowki's adorable.' even though I didn't ANYTHING about him.

Sifra

I love Dart, and I think it's a shame we know so little about his cub. I think there should be a story about him! He was so cute!

Minouche

Quote:
Aldar

I thought about that. I was leaning towards that as a part of the explanation, but Strongbow, for example, is still haunted by Crescent's fate (at least until Chitter came tumbling out of nowhere), so I don't know how strong the Now is in that family. :?

Crescent died tortured by humans, barely out of her teens. If Bowki died in his bed surrounded by those who loved him (for all we know he may have had several kids who descendants are now among the Sun villagers in the palace), it does make a huge difference in the attitude his parents and grand-parents would have about his being dead long ago. (10,000, and not under wrap, is more than any wolfrider has ever seen) Mender doesn't mourn much his parents and brother.

joselle

remember though, Dart's got facefur!

krwordgazer

Scouter's got facefur, too. I think both of them went into wrapstuff in Sorrow's End at about the same time Cutter and his tribe went into wrapstuff on Thorny Mountain. Which would make both Scouter and Dart in the 500-year-old range.

Dart came out of wrapstuff to raise Bowki, though, while Scouter stayed in wrapstuff-- so physically Dart is now probably some 15-20 years older than Scouter.

Kitt

[color=green:dbced4d2e0]Yeah, Wendy said it was facefur :?[/color:dbced4d2e0]

nevaratoiel

Quote:
hnich

strange that it took Bowki's grandpa Strongbow so long to grow facefur though..I mean he was with Bearclaw's tribe for 500 years before he left the holt...maybe he shaved during that time

Maybe he did. ;) He probably just didn't want to look older. :P

Minouche

Whyever not? If they can shave leather to wear it, there is no reason they couldn't chose to do it to their faces (or part of the face, notice they're far from wearing their face furs in the same pattern?)

ReenBladesong

I always maitained that Oneeye and strongbow were Juuuust shy of the face fur age.

nevaratoiel

[quote:85c09e59af="muriel"]Whyever not? If they can shave leather to wear it, there is no reason they couldn't chose to do it to their faces (or part of the face, notice they're far from wearing their face furs in the same pattern?)[/quote:85c09e59af]
True, true. Sounds logical. Maybe if Wendy comes back we can ask about it.

Minouche

Surprised Bite your tongue. I don't want if about it. I want her to come baaack! I want my Elfmooom...:crying:

elf_queen_vik

Quote:
krwordgazer

Having Bowki did seem to give Dart a measure of healing from his past. At least he smiled again. But I wonder how it was for Bowki, having a father who must often have been distant, sunk in his own melancholy over the whole Go-Back killing thing and Shushen's death.

well im lookinag at the comic where Dart and Serrin reconise and it looks like Serring had another life mate, named Talmah. so Bowki had talmah and Dart as father figures and at some point Dart goes to sleep in wrap stuff ans leaves his son and life mate to live a natural life on the sun village, and i guess Talmah raised bowki as his own much like Scoter rasing windkin as his own.

Minouche

Sounds plausible. Stepdads can be very good parents too. (I know, I had one whose passing I mourn a lot more than that of the guy I hardly ever saw again after my Mother and he divorced)

Tynami

I recently refound Bowki myself... gonna make a doll of him sometime this week :)

Startear

Bowki is adoreable. I wish we knew more about him.

Startear

I have a question... Bowki and Jethel look rather alike. Do you think they are related in some way? Or did Blair just take the overall design and went along with it?

Embala

Considering that I hardly can tell apart most of the elf characters (and human younglings) in the bigger part of Blair's EQ works I'd go for the second possibility.

Besides this - Jethel being a "true" Sunvillager would be more interesting than another Wolfrider offspring.

MultiMEDEA

Quote:

Condidering that I hardly can tell apart most of the elf characters (and human younglings) in the bigger poart of Blair's EQ works I'd go for the second possibility.

Besides this - Jethel being a "true" Sunvillager would be more interesting than another Wolfrider offspring.

According to the Wolfrider's Guide, Jethel's a Sun Villager, tho, he and Bowki could certainly be related through Bethia.

Embala

More of little Bowki Happy

Vojira

Might as wall put this here then.

Embala

Yay I was hoping for this! Happy

Great take on adult Bowki! His hair is voluminous and slightly unruly as his sire's and he has this miscievious-wolfriderish look in the eyes. Your costume design is inventive and unique als always, Vojira. I like that he's sticking with the arrow whip ... you nave not even forgotten a well filled quiver.

Clap

Startear

Despite not liking the loincloth, he looks awfully cute in that shot, running through the desert in hyper joy.

Oh look, his nose is crocked as well. XD

Vojira

*Looks at picture a bit closer*
...it's not just crocked, it's about to careen right of his face. 8[

Startear

So, the question is, should I, who wants to flesh him out, pretend that I believe in rule number one and say he broke his nose in play... Or disregard it as the many faults of Blair?

Vojira

Quote:

So, the question is, should I, who wants to flesh him out, pretend that I believe in rule number one and say he broke his nose in play... Or disregard it as the many faults of Blair?

Blame Blair.

Embala

His nose looks undamaged in the later pic, doesn't it? -> BBB

That reminds me ... MISSING your story here!

Startear

Actually, you're missing more than that. Made a doll of Bowki in December, request to make a new design, which is more... flattering.

And here it is, my story with Bowki, one of my best ever, in my opinion.

Shade of Smiles

RedheadEmber

Just a crazy thought that occured to me:

What if he recognized?

Somewhere amongst the Sunfolk living in the Palace their could be some who were descendants of Dart.

Embala

As a descendant of Rainsong he has MOST PROBABLY recognized! Wink

RedheadEmber

You got a point there!

Trollbabe

He also recieved archery training that was handed down from Trueflight. Does he become a good marksman or hunter, I wonder.

RedheadEmber

I could actually imagine him taking over daddy's role as chief hunter for Sorrow's End. At least for a while.

Embala

Jackwolf Rider and warrior, hunter and marksman, gardener and farmer ... he ould have been anything - or everything. We need an artist to show all this possibilities ...

Makes me wonder - I remember a drawing of Bowki ploughing his field at night ... is it in this thread?

RedheadEmber

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Shashen, one of the Jackwolfrider boys seen in NB#25, is a descendant of Bowki.
What makes me think so?

1: The looks! But of course... all Blair's characters seem to look alike.
2: Windstone's comment in NB#25. Her comment about Shaming the memory of one who was dear to our chief is directed at Shashen. Who's their chief? Dart. Who was dear to Dart? Shushen. Shushen and Shashen sounds sorta alike... maybe elves don't name their children directly after others, but may give their children names resembles another's name. Of course there's also the difference in meaning between Shu and Sha...

Startear

Then again, wasn't it said somewhere that Bowki never learned of his father's regret, or the cause of Dart's sorrow? I seem to recall something along these lines... but I ain't sure. Good_bad

That being said, I am sure, no matter how innocent Bowki was claimed to be, that he didn't notice something was up with Dart. When a relative who is that close to you is depressed, you notice. Might not draw any hard conclusions, nor even ask why, but one knows that something is wrong.

RedheadEmber

I don't think Shashen would be Bowki's son! He'd be at least a great-grandson... with the "other parent" in each generation all having been pureblooded elves.
Shashen would be the 'memory of Shushen' in the sense that I think Shushen would be remembered by all the Sunfolk (after all; they don't have a "Now of Wolfthought", and for them dying isn't really natural, especially not since Leetah was born...)
So throughout the years Shushen was always remembered, and eventually Bowki's grandchild recognized, and during the pregnancy the parents just knew that their son's name should be Shashen.

Also: Bowki as a child may not have learned, but Bowki as an adult?

Embala

When this was mentioned in NB 13 it was very subtle ... and Blair's EQ works are not exactly famous for being subtle. In case it was implied elsewhere I never noticed.

Like you I'm pretty sure that Bowki was aware that something bothered his father, Startear. Not all the time - Dart obviously had happy and proud times with his son. But he noticed most probably ... even very young children "sense" when something is wrong without actually getting the reason.

Bowki had Talmah as a second Dad ... may not be a big matter for him during his childhood. But a father who went in wrapstuff ... would be only natural when Bowki asked questions sooner or later. And the Go-Back attack together with the vulcano eruption was a topic among the villages for sure - even years later.

RedheadEmber

I don't think it was ever implied, doesn't mean I can't believe it's the case!

lunakat

Okie dokie, where is Bowki?
Did he run away to Skokie?
We saw him last, a little tike.
Did Bowki learn to ride a bike?
Did he cavort? Did he play?
Did he ride his wolf all day?

We'll never know
Cus Dart skipped town.
He didn't want to stay around.
He didn't want to be a dad.
He missed his Shushen- He was sad.

And Bowki was a mortal kid.
Who can say what Bowki did?
He clearly didn't live that long.
(Got swallowed up by the Wolfsong!)

And Dart may never think to ask
Because he can't recall the past.

Embala

Great poem once more, lunakat. A bit ironic, a bit funny, a bit sad ... pulling Bowki out of the dark of the wolfsong.

I see Dart different than you do - but I love your passion for little Bowki.

:shhh: he missed Shushen to be precise

lunakat

Okay - I changed it. But now I'm confused. How would going into wrapstuff fix missing Shushen?

RedheadEmber

I always figured that it somehow "removed" him from what had happened (not only him missing Shushen, but also his guilt over having killed other elves)
Also, think he was hoping that by going into wrapstuff he'd have a chance of meeting his parents again.

Embala

3 points for Redhead. That's how I see it, too.

Startear

Hmmm... yeah, I thought it was mostly about removing himself from the grief.

Look, a Wolfriders' noses is very sharp. I remember very well that after I lost my dog, seeing anything connected to her made my heart ache. Now, imagine that the one you have lost has scent trails all over where you live. Shushen's scent was still lingering in the Village, even after the ash. The guilt lay heavy, and so wrapstuff must have seemed appropriate at the time.

Next time, Dart awoke to recognition, thousands of years later. Considering that he had slept, the processing of the grief had not smoothed. Which means that Bowki must have had to deal with one depressed father. The little one might not have recognized just what it was, but known that something is off.

A wish to see his parents once more, knowing that they too were sleeping, and some grief which still clung to his skin must have convinced him to let himself be wrapped up again. By that time, his lifemates and child are long gone.

RedheadEmber

Next time, Dart awoke to recognition, thousands of years later. Considering that he had slept, the processing of the grief had not smoothed. Which means that Bowki must have had to deal with one depressed father. The little one might not have recognized just what it was, but known that something is off.

I always figured it was "only" a matter of several centuries later. Serrin still seemed fairly young...
But yeah. Even though they made sure that Bowki never knew about "his sire's past bloodletting" (or however it was phrased) he probably still sensed that something was wrong.

Embala

I would like to see this in Dart's thread, Startear. Will you repost/quote it there, please?

RedheadEmber

Right, let's bring this thread back to being about Bowki!
When Dart went back into Wrapstuff he said something like:
"He's you and me, and the wolf in us both. But in time he'll be you and Talmah, and the desert."
So, now I'm wondering; since he seemed to have been fairly Young when Dart went back into Wrapstuff, was he brought up (almost) solely as a Sun-villager?
And was Talmah simply Talmah? Or was he father?

Embala

All the time Dart was awake they lived in a threemating - with Talmah involved in the pregnancy from the beginning. Remember the scenes when he is touching and "listening to" Serrin's belly in awe and joy ... and he was in almost every scene from Bowki's childhood we've seen.

I'm sure he was a father for Bowki as much (or more in daily life) as Dart was. They probably were "father Dart" and "father Talmah" for the cub. Or there were different terms like "Pa" and "Dad" ... elfin equivalents of them.
Later on he might refer to Talmah as his father ... and Dart as his sire.

I don't think his upbringing was solely Sunfolk. Mostly yes - because he lived in the Sunvillage among Sunfolk a Sunvillager's life.

We saw Bowki's skills of riding and with the arrow whip ... there was a strong Wolfrider trait in him.
His mother was a bridge-child, tho - and I'm she learned in Howlings from Woodlock and Rainsong about Wolfrider life. And she will have passed over these stories to her cub, especially because his father and her recognized mate was a Wolfrider in heart. There was Mender around with quite a Wolfrider temper and his admiration for Cutter.
And there were the Jackwolf-Riders ... I'd take a bet Bowki was one of them.

Not much of the Wolfrider traditions left to learn for him ... but enough to learn about and understand his wilder side.

RedheadEmber

Well... I'm sure his parents, all three of them, nutured every part of his nature.

Startear

This thread needs more fanart.

photo bowki_zps24a33906.jpg

As I said in my thread;

Startear said: True to Blair's spirit when it comes to hair, I let him keep it flowing and long. He also kept that thingie because I wanted to see how it was to draw with coal.