ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Ruffel huffle!

Elsa

Does no-one else love the adorable and bubbly Ruffel?

Perhaps my avs and banners give it away, haha. I have a range of other favourite characters, but I just can't resist her.

*goes to relax in a hot spring somewhere in the desert*

Minouche

No kidding! Is the girl who always wears ruffles really named Ruffel?

Fourleafclover

Ha ha! Grin I love the name of this thread!

Certainly there are some nice Ruffel pictures to add to this thread? *Looks around*

Elsa

Here's a couple! Unfortunately I can't get any early ones because I don't have a scanner...

[img:541f2b142f]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/Arthis/titsless03.jpg[/img:541f2b142f]

[img:541f2b142f]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/99lala99/skywiseandgirls.jpg[/img:541f2b142f]

Foxeye

I love her new dress from Discovery...I wish we could see it from the front!

[img:3621544e1e]http://www.eqcrescent.com/eqscans/ruffel.jpg[/img:3621544e1e]

Kitt

[color=green:9a37257995]That IS a nice dress! :love:[/color:9a37257995]

Gazelle

*steals dresss and runs off*

Skywise: *eyes googling*

crescent1325

[color=indigo:cd703ea043]I love that dress. Very pretty. Ruffle seems like a (dont hate me) bimbo. But not in a bad way. you know, very Marilyn Monroe-ish. Sexy and sultry.

I guess Bombshell is more of the word?

Out of the three, Vurdah is my Fav. But its sad that she doenst seem to have made it into the new story arch with her "frenz." [/color:cd703ea043]

Gazelle

I like ruffle best. Then Vurdah. Then maleen. I hate that swinsuit thing she had on and now I can't forget it. :(

Elsa

Hopefully, Vurdah recognised and was happy to give up living the hedonistic life with her girlfriends in favour of a lifemate and cub. :love:

I guess I like Ruffel because she's an individual, despite her flirty appearances. Obviously, she's called Ruffel because of her fashion sense, which I always took to mean that it's something different and cute about wearing those frilly dresses. She defies any age, she takes each day as it comes... Work hard, play hard I guess. She may seem like a slacker, but probably has a range of duties in her tribe.

It's obvious that she doesn't care who shares her bed, as long as they're fun. Ruffel, Vurdah and Maleen are clearly more than good friends, and probably partied together for hundreds of years before Skywise showed up!

Elsa

Hehe... I think they all had a share of the stargazer. ;)

lunakat

I certainly got the impression that they all shared!

As far as the name goes...

I'd heard that fans started nicknaming her "Lucky Ruffles" (because she was so consistently Skywise's dame)...

that the Pini's thought it was cute and clever to name her Ruffel officially.

Wink

emerald

You know, I never really liked her or Maleen, only because I felt so sorry for Vurdah, but now that she's happy I think they're great. They all get to share him! Wink I do love her new dress as well!

Thaïs

I love Ruffle! I thought she was adorable when I first read the Original Quest! She's a fun, straightfoward gal, and you have to admire her for it.

I think the main reason that I adore Ruffle, Vurdah and Maleen so much is that their playful group dynamic sort of reminds me of the Bridge Bunnies from Robotech, which was my favorite show when I was growing up. Yup. Sexy elfin versions of the Bunnies. Fabulous. :)

Alana

Where was the first pic scanned from? I have the story, but the coloring looks much different and less lush in my copy than it does in that pic... Surprised

Elsa

You'll have the early version of that story (is it The Heart's Way?). That's where my av is from. The image I posted was taken from the Archives edition.

If you look at the early version, you may also see that the size of Ruffel's nipples is considerably more... Noticeable...

Alana

Yes, The Heart's Way from the "Elfquest - The First 20 Years" book. I just pulled out my copy and wow, the nipples have definitely been toned down in the new version! Grin Maleen's went away entirely.

I do like her top coloring in the new version though. Teal doesn't suit her.

ulmtwen

I think Ruffel is definitely the cutest of the trio of beauties of Sorrow's End. It seems like she would be nice and fun and giggle a lot and I would fall in love with her exuberance. And the way Wendy drew her breasts in the first one...wet and perky and steamy...thank you elfmom.

And the three girls are definitely more than friends! It's either Ruffel or Maleen, but one of them refers to the other two as "lovemates" when they're fighting over Skywise in his thong.

Fourleafclover

[quote:14f347d832="ulmtwen"] And the way Wendy drew her breasts in the first one...wet and perky and steamy...thank you elfmom.[/quote:14f347d832]

Well described! Yummy! :)

Elsa

[quote:1b33832733="ulmtwen"]And the way Wendy drew her breasts in the first one...wet and perky and steamy...thank you elfmom.[/quote:1b33832733]

It's such a shame she bathes with her clothes on, huh? ;)

valkerie

Heya all well I recently did a merversion of the happy trio, that I would like to share with everyone, Hope you all like it :)
[img:7710d7c8df]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/valkerie/VurdaRuffleandMaleenMer.jpg[/img:7710d7c8df]

lunakat

Ruffel is a hotty totty.

Ruffel, Maleen and Vurdah were hilarious... because they were the three "types":

Cute, light and flirty (Ruffel)
(wink)

Sensuous, sexy and lean (Maleen)
(seductive glance)

Earnest, shy and sweet (Vurdah)
(big brown eyes)

Trollbabe

Ruffles go best with Southern or English accents. I wonder if Ruff has a Southern or English accent.

valkerie

[quote:155f60d5ce="Bonita"]That is very lovely Valkerie, although I do think its a shame we don't get to see their tales entirely.[/quote:155f60d5ce]

Thankyou Bonita :) yeah I might have to draw them each their own seperate pictures but I really could not resist putting the four of them in a mer picture together.

Nowth

[quote:2161c5bb6b="valkerie"]Heya all well I recently did a merversion of the happy trio, that I would like to share with everyone, Hope you all like it :)[/quote:2161c5bb6b]
I do! It's the best I've seen from you, too. Mh hm!

valkerie

[quote:a20027dcc2="Trollbabe"]Ruffles go best with Southern or English accents. I wonder if Ruff has a Southern or English accent.[/quote:a20027dcc2]

I think she would be cute with a light southern accent, I don't think an English one would suit her very well, but who knows I could be wrong and it could be perfect for her :)

valkerie

[quote:58de2a723f="Nowth"][quote:58de2a723f="valkerie"]Heya all well I recently did a merversion of the happy trio, that I would like to share with everyone, Hope you all like it :)[/quote:58de2a723f]
I do! It's the best I've seen from you, too. Mh hm![/quote:58de2a723f]

Why thankyou Nowth :love: :)

Elsa

Well, living in Britain, I presume every elf to have British accents, including Ruffle. I just imagine different dialects/accents for everyone, some are Scottish (Treestump!), there's the odd Geordie or Cockney... No Welsh though. Grin

twinklebug

Lol, Ruffel's so cute! I was cast as her in the Forum Movie. :D
Beautiful drawing, Valkerie!

valkerie

[quote:98db2e417f="twinklebug"]Lol, Ruffel's so cute! I was cast as her in the Forum Movie. :D
Beautiful drawing, Valkerie![/quote:98db2e417f]

Thankyou Twinklrbug :love: I do like how it turned out :)

ulmtwen

Elsa, I always imagined Treestump with a scottish accent too!! Grin

Do you think Pike would be like cockney? I'm from Canada, so I don't really know all the english dialects, but I think it's funny...

Tynami

I've gotta remember to make a doll of Ruffel, she's so cute!

Jeppe

Except for not knowing what Ruffles is/are, I totally agree on everything else in this thread!

Wots o' wub!

Tavie

Quote:
Jeppe

Except for not knowing what Ruffles is/are, I totally agree on everything else in this thread!

Wots o' wub!

Ruffel = that elf that Skywise likes to "gaze at the stars" with (I guess you knew that)

ruffle = a fabric embellishment/trimming, usually on a piece of clothing or furniture, constructed in such a way that it is bunched or pleated to create a "wavy" pattern.

An example is on the outer edge of this pillow:

(Now I must officially stop linking pictures to this board today or I'm gonna get THWACKed!)

Jeppe

Thanks peops!

You could just have said "flæser" :roll: Like, totally!

Now I wanna go make a Ruffel website!! :O (/set_mood:"Jump_jump_jump_")

Elsa

Do you think Ruffel has a 'real' name? Is Ruffel just a kind of nickname? Or is her name a translation from the elves' language?

This has been bugging me for a while! Grin

Tavie

[quote:d00dedcf58="Elsa"]Do you think Ruffel has a 'real' name? Is Ruffel just a kind of nickname? Or is her name a translation from the elves' language?

This has been bugging me for a while! Grin[/quote:d00dedcf58]

I think Ruffel is her real name, misspelled purposely; it's a joke, a nod to her frilly taste in clothes and all-around frilly nature.

Leanan

*bumps the Ruffel topic, just because*

Apogee

"Ruffle" is a pleat in a curtain, or the act of wobbling something.

"Ruffel" is her name. Smile I'd always pronounced it "ru FELL"

Embala

Quote:

Here's a couple! Unfortunately I can't get any early ones because I don't have a scanner...

Quote:

I love her new dress from Discovery...I wish we could see it from the front!

let's see whether the pics show again ...

Quote:

Heya all well I recently did a merversion of the happy trio, that I would like to share with everyone, Hope you all like it Smile

Embala

Okay ... here's the Discovery gown again Smile

Embala

Look, what I just found again Happy - the "variant" coloring of Ruffel (for me it was the "original"!

... now she's looking strange in green.

Ooooohhhh ... and there's another "detail" different! Hypnotize

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Embala

Hhm ... is it just me who suddenly thinks that Ruffel might be the granddaughter of the Baker? Wink

lunakat

Ruffell got her name as a joke- because fans were calling her 'lucky Ruffles'. The Pinis just went with it. Looking at a couple of these pictures though- particularly the one from "Heart's Way," I think they could as easily have called her "Bubbles."

lunakat

Why go all Vurdah, when you can enjoy the moment?

http://tfln-elfquest.tumblr.com/post/19530092900

Trollbabe

(Spoilers for Final Quest prologue)

Any thoughts on what happens to Ruffel? I guess she never does recognize anyone, unless we just don't know about it.

lunakat

Should we be writing this here? What about spoilers for people who haven't read it yet?

Embala

The whole "Keeping in Character" section is defined as "Contains Spoilers". Someone will be the first one to post spoilers here. Would it be more appropriate in a week? In a month? After Christmas? And then ... there would be spoilers for The Final Quest series - all the time for the next 4(?) years.

Trollbabe even put a spoiler warning in front of her posts - due to the VERY fresh release. Personally I don't see a reason to show more restraint.

Then again ... I'm one of those who will start to read spoilers pretty soon, once TFQ series is running. Otherwise I would exclude myself from the (hopefully) lively discussion about the new developements!

Just my two cents Smile

lunakat

Okay then.

SPOILERS FOR FINAL QUEST PROLOGUE!

I think what happened to Ruffel was gratuitous. I mean- geez! How... awful a way for that to end. Was it necessary? What was the point? Okay, I get the point- to emphasize the dangers of the outside world, but... could there have been a less explosiony way to do it? Did it have to be so big to make an impact?

And for Skywise that had to suck. Nice way to take an activity that has always been fun, light and happy and make it... (hmm, what's the right word?)... utterly, face meltingly horrific!

The pages before were really lovely though. I've never seen Ruffel presented so charmingly. Beautiful art!

Trollbabe

Hello, I hope I put enough spoiler warnings on my KIC topics. Anyway, more spoilers for FQP:

Whatever happened to Ruffel's two sun village female friends? I assume they are among the circle of Sun Villagers in the Palace, at least beyond Searcher and the Sword.

Allura

<<SPOILERS FOR EQ THE FINAL QUEST PROLOGUE>>

I just finished reading it... The end came a quite a shock. Poor Ruffel. Poor SKYWISE. I will probably have to mull it all over to decide whether I'm ok with what happened or not in a storytelling point of view. But, man. TT.TT

Trollbabe

(Still more spoilers)

Well, he did comment that she was getting a bit pale...Evilgrin

WhitneyPrince

lunakat said

Ruffell got her name as a joke- because fans were calling her 'lucky Ruffles'. The Pinis just went with it.

I'm so glad there's still long-time fans around who recall the origin story behind Ruffel's name. (BTW, hello Lunakat! I remember you from back in the GAZERS... and weren't you on the EQUEST-L mailing lists as well?)

Anyway, I'm just blown away by the death of Ruffel. I was ECSTATIC about the panels leading up to it, and then... then... BLAMMO! She was gone! And that look frozen on Skywise's face. Noooo!

Ahem. Anyway, it made me take a trip down memory lane... I've always felt partly responsible for her namesake, particularly her fan nickname from back in the day.

Here's how it all happened, in the words of the esteemed Yngvar Folling. Taken from some EQUEST-L logs I scrounged up on google.

=======================================================================

It was in October 1996, when discussing the
possible names for a Skywise fan club, that Whitney Price suggested:

> But I do rather like "Skywise Sharing Society"... Who's going to be the
> pink ruffled giggling girl? Smile

To which Richard responded:

> Whose official name, by the way, is "Ruffles." <g> We never did come up
> with another name for her...

Which brought the following more than a little prophetic reply from
Whitney:

> Hahaha! I have a story about that!

> Y'see, waaaaaay back when I when my sister and I were reading the
> original EQ #6 for the first time, we were speculating on whether or not
> this girl would be explored more. She seemed rather ditzy to us... (That
> never changed) but we still liked her and hoped to get a name for her at
> some point so we could stop calling her "Pink Ruffle Girl" and "Skywise's
> Maiden." Well, soon we gave up on that hope. At one point my sister (who
> is a Strongbow fan, where as I am an S.S.S <YOU choose what it stands for>
> member through and through) commented that I probably thought she was lucky
> because she seemed to be Skywise's fave out of the three.
> Weeelllll.... That stuck. We grew up calling her 'Lucky'. We've
> tried so hard to shake the name! Thought up all sorts of lovely
> Sun-Village type names to give her, rather than that name which is better
> suited for a dog... but in vain. None of them will stick. So to me, she'll
> always be 'Lucky', Richard. Smile

But the idea of *combining* the two came From Robert A. "Fairlight"
Beschizza, in the following:

> 'Lucky Ruffles' - sounds like a Bond girl....

> Heyyyyy...There's an idea! Skywise as James Bond?

But modesty, or embarrassment, forbids me to repeat how I took him on
his word. Happy

=======================================================================

The bit Yngvar is referring to at the end is a hilarious spoof of dialog written between super spy Skywise seducing (or perhaps being seduced BY?) his bond girl, "Lucky Ruffles". It really cracked me up! I'd give anything to read it again, but I can't find it in the logs... alas!

Good times... good times!

R.I.P. Lucky Ruffles, you gorgeous gal.

- Whitney

Embala

Whatever happened to Ruffel's two sun village female friends? I assume they are among the circle of Sun Villagers in the Palace, at least beyond Searcher and the Sword.
All left to speculation ... her formlerly best friends had no prominent place in the mourning scene. There is a sun maiden who could be Maleen by hair-do - no chance for a clear identification, tho.

In later issues there was only a "duo" left - Ruffel and Maleen. Maybe Vurdah found her recognized mate, raised her child and is living a calm and happy family life in the Palace.

Maleen ... there's a girl among the Jackwolf riders who might be Maleen. When she was among the defenders of Sorrow's End during the Human raid she's most probably living in the Palace in spirit form.

EDIT: Maleen was shown in SatS Headbang3 ... so she must be alive and dwell in the Palace! In case she ever was a survivor.

Embala

I'm so glad there's still long-time fans around who recall the origin story behind Ruffel's name. (BTW, hello Lunakat! I remember you from back in the GAZERS... and weren't you on the EQUEST-L mailing lists as well?)
I'm much too late to the EQ community (not to EQ itself Wink) to remember the beginnings less had been part of them. I love to read those reminiscences, Whitney.

lunakat

I didn't remember the details, but I knew she was called 'Ruffel' because fans had started calling her 'Lucky Ruffles." Smile It's really cool that Whitney has the full backstory!

(Hi Whitney! Yep- I was with the Gazers long while back. I don't think I was on the Elfquest-L mailing list. But I remember you and Fairlight from back in the day. Your stories were fantastic!)

Embala

There should be a picture of joy and beauty - that's how Ruffel should be remembered!

Why not just wear flowers? Indeed - what the Sunmaiden are wearing nowadays is next to nothing Wink

lunakat

That was just the loveliest sequence.

smellsgood

SPOILERS

You know, if they're becoming "taller and paler" because that was their original form as coneheads, I wonder if they will also start losing their hair. Wink Or are they returning to the form the High Ones adopted before landing? I guess we'll find out.

Back to the topic: Agreed, it is better to remember the pleasant scenes when she first appeared in the special. Smile It's just like if someone you know and like dies. Better to remember the person they were than how they died, especially if it was especially sudden or difficult...

It's nice to see background characters get a bigger role, over time. Ruffel didn't even used to have a(n official) name!

VanessaAnneBlumenberg

I was saddened that Skywise had to loose her in such as beautiful setting, but i did like Redlances suggestion for what to do with her body. The wolfriders always had a simple way of taking care of their own dead, but burying her among the flowers she loved so much was perfect.

Embala

potato said
You know, if they're becoming "taller and paler" because that was their original form as coneheads, I wonder if they will also start losing their hair. Wink Or are they returning to the form the High Ones adopted before landing? I guess we'll find out.
They are still Coneheads ... masked for a visit and captured in this shape by the Abodean influence. All but the Wolfrider ... they are something else, too.

It would be consequent that they develope back into their original state in the Palace - both in body and mind. I doubt that TFQ will take enough time to show us the final result ... this gradual change might take another 10,000 years.

And the longer the elves will stay in the Palce the better their magical abilities will develope - and they can change their look by will, design themselves new every day ... or keep their "familiar" skin and hair. Wink

lunakat

I guess it makes sense to assume that, if they were to leave the World of Two Moons, the elves would regain the powers of their ancestors?

Embala

Their powers ... and in last consequence their look.

ChristinaRaibert

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Poor Ruffel! Boohoo She had been so light-hearted and cheerful - it was deeply unfair that her life should be cut short just then.
Also, am I seeing things or there's a definite parallel between the scene of Korafay's birth at the near-beginning of the story and Ruffel's death at the end? Brill and Sunstream chose freedom over safety - even if they knew it was dangerous. And it very nearly ended badly with the bellyripper - thanks goodness they both kept on guard even while rejoicing with their daughter. If Skywise and Ruffel had been just a trifle more alert... Unhappy

VanessaAnneBlumenberg

Its unfortunate that Ruffel's death reminded others of the dangers outside the palace among the natural world, yet in order for them all to thrive, they need to allow danger and death in thier lives. The wolfriders learned that lesson in thorny mountain holt when Aroree reminded them what happened to the gliders during the hidden years saga.

Embala

Well spotted, Christina. There is actually an ongoing theme - safety within walls and barriers or the risk of life - literally. And it started much earlier ... with the introduction of the Wavedancers and their struggle.

RedheadEmber

When the scene with Skywise, Ruffel and Suntoucher on the roof happened, I thought Ruffel and Skywise was gonna recognize!
Not...
THIS!

lunakat

Just remember... Anywhere is home as long as there are new cubs to raise!

RedheadEmber

Embala said

Well spotted, Christina. There is actually an ongoing theme - safety within walls and barriers or the risk of life - literally. And it started much earlier ... with the introduction of the Wavedancers and their struggle.

So it was here the mention of the safety within wall vs. danger outside talk was. Thought I'd seen in somewhere.
Actually... I'd say it started a lot earlier than the Wavedancers. Blue Mountain anyone? Or even, with a stretch, Sorrow's End... The Sunfolk were just a lot more willing to adapt.

Anyway, I have nothing Ruffel-related to add...

Trollbabe

CHECK OUT MY NEW AVATAR!!!

<--------------------------------

Trollbabe

I wonder if Ruffel is communing with Skywise in the Palace? Certainly he would be in touch with all of his other deceased loved ones there.

PCoquelin

This to remind all the readers that..

..death happens.

Trollbabe

Updated my Ruffel avatar from last year!

Tavie

@Trollbabe

Trollbabe said: Updated my Ruffel avatar from last year!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH! It's killing me!!!! ROFL! (or should I say, RUFL!)

Trollbabe

Thank you! we trolls would like to remind you Elves that anything below ground level is ours for the taking.

Heather

I am loving the avatar @Trollbabe!

Trollbabe

Glad you like it! We Trolls enjoy Chitter-lings as well.