ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The other six of the eight

PeregrineFalcon

Ok, so maybe I'm a little bit obsessed with the chosen eight right now. :D But they seem to be very popular, so why not? This is not another "why didn't they live?" thread, but more one to explore them as characters. Why don't we go through the books again, try to identify who does what and see if we can analyze our way into understanding a bit more about them. They operate as a unit, but some seem more agressive than others. For example there is one fellow (Reevol?) who seems very eager to help Winnie and Kureel cause harm to the Wolfriders. He takes an acticve part in the fight at the table, while the rest of them are just standing in the background. The two doing Clearbrooks hair don't knock her down when she's trying to run, just hold her back (Which they seem to be having a hard time of).

I must warn you; I come from a very nitpicky HP forum where we keep discussing even minor characters then these for pages after pages. We even had a long discussion about what we could learn from the mentionings of socks, and we examined if people's noses could reveal something useful. 8) My Potty background keeps transferring to other fandoms.

Minouche

Grin You're wasting your time on forums. Your place is in academia where you'd get a brilliant career nitpicking in the Comparative Literatures Dept. You'd have a field day on the 18th/19th centuries French novels, Dickens, and any of the Russian lit. monuments.
To go back to the point you are making, I tend to think that these characters were minor, not in the sens that they never got to center stage (they did at times), but because they only had one important but fleeting purpose in the story and, once they had served that purpose, developing retroactively their characters would have distracted from the grand saga of the elves of the World of Two Moons. Several talented fans have written fanfics to further develop those characters which they found interesting or attaching. You could maybe browse through them. I doubt they will reappear in the last arc of EQ, but then I'm no seer and I could be very wrong.

PeregrineFalcon

No, they are definitely dead. I see no reason to believe any of them survived. Rayek took their souls to the palace. Maybe one could have made it, but where would (s)he go? We'd have known.

And yes, I got the sense that these were instrumental characters with only one purpose. But seeing how the Pinis like to give background characters some sort of identity, I'm hoping that would be that case with these chaps also. I'm guessing neither Kureel nor Aroree were really misfits in the group to begin with*, as oposite as they were, but if these two were the extremes then the rest of them would range from "more like Kureel" to "more like Aroree", I suppose.

* I believe Aroree fit in well before she met Skywise, while she served the kind Lord Voll who she loved. Kureel must have had a difficult position, being the leader but not having his own bird for quite some time. Being torn between loyalty to Lord Voll and Winnie. In fact he has a long streak of bad luck; losing his old bird, losing his new bird, losing his (good) leader, losing everything.

And I have actually been concidering studying litterature up to master level later. Then I could teach classes. But I've found that I prefer taking part in the discussion rather than being the one giving the answers, and I'm also working on a very long story of my own (not fantasy, but inspired by both EQ and HP) so time will tell what I'll do. :)

Minouche

Quote:
Peregrine Falcon

No, they are definitely dead. I see no reason to believe any of them survived.

I didn't mean that I thought any other than Aroree survived. I meant I doubt retroactive character development about their past lives (of the kind made for Crescent, oldest daughter of Strongbow and Moonshade) would ever occur.

Quote:
Peregrine Falcon

And I have actually been concidering studying litterature up to master level later. Then I could teach classes. But I've found that I prefer taking part in the discussion rather than being the one giving the answers, and I'm also working on a very long story of my own (not fantasy, but inspired by both EQ and HP) so time will tell what I'll do. :)

Not as teacher, as a literary critique and publishing professor. The two talents (contrary to what most university deans believe) are quite frequently (but not always) mutually exclusive.

JadeOwl

Well, hm. I'm in the Blue Mountain Roleplay, and we've sort of allotted personalities to the Chosen in order to be able to play them right - here's what we have.

Hoykar is quiet, shy, musical and "prefers what the males have", especially one in particular, who he often languishes over.

Reevol is right now barely recovering from the loss of his Bond Swiftwings, so he's pretty much desperately bitter and sees hardly any reason to live.

Oroleed is kind, if a bit strict. We haven't devoloped him much yet.

Yeyeen is strong, passionate, and quick to anger. She's insanely devoted to Voll, and tolerates Winnowill only as Voll's lovemate.

Eresir is a bit trusting, whimsical, and cheerful. He's slightly reserved and very curious and observant.

And Talno is flirtatious, popular, clever, cheeky, and arrogant. Can be very helpful and caring, but mostly to further his own ends.

(If Leanan stops in here, she can correct me on any points I might have gotten wrong. But this is how I see them in play.)

PeregrineFalcon

Hi again! :)

I've looked into your roleplay, as well as a few fan fics. I think you have assigned the boys and girls really cool personalitites. I felt really bad for Reevol, even though I don't like his canon character much. :o

After discovering that the local library down the street from where I work has the manga of EQ, I went in and did some studying. I left not much wizer than I came in, pondering the big question "How many eight are there?" I though it was going to be easy to identify them by their outfits, concidering that the pattern down front on their shirt is unique. Well... it seems they had time to change their clothes quite a few times between panels within the same scene (the middle of a fight!). First the guy with the oval symbol is wearing a black jacket and white pants. Two panels later he's wearing a patterned shirt and black pants. A bit later he's back to the original again. I feel like this : :?:

The changing colours of peoples clothes occurs a lot I've noticed, except in the cases of Kureel and Aroree. But I suppose that being a "superior" race they'd have clean changes, and not everything they owned would look exactly the same. (Apart from the symbols in front?)

The ones I know for sure are: Kureel - row of ovals, Reevol - zig-zag, Oroleed - wave, Hoykar - arches. I can easily tell apart Yeeyen and Aroree, so the two I'm still in the mist about are Eresir and Talno. One of them has a fishbone pattern, the other one I don't know. Maybe the guy who changed his clothes all the time are actually two? Hoykar and the other one? But in the sequence I studied Hoykar looses his talon whip, and this guy still had his independent of outfit. (Maybe he had time to get a new one, a whip I mean.)

Anybody who can shed a bit of light on this? Pretty please with sprinkles on top?

Allura

Okay, using the process of elimination, (Finding out who IS in a scene to find out who the others are NOT.) I still got confused. A lot of this may be off, but it's what I could come up with. The scene where Adar is entertaining the Eight (seven-Aroree) really helped. Here's what I came up with on who's who: (WARNING: Heavy with pictures)

Eresir has the wave/swoosh pattern:

I'm only guessing that the last one is him. The pattern's a little off And the colors are different... but it can't really be anyone else.

Hoykar has the ripple or target pattern (oh come on, tell me that's not a target. Strongbow could hit dead center.):

I think the guy's a softie. Poor guy, look at him mourning Voll's death.

Reevol is the only one besides Yeyeen who has a white top and so I'm guessing he's got a swoosh too, because in one scene he's there at the same time as the other swoosh:

Yeyeen would normally be easy to figure out. She's the only girl besides Aroree. The only problem I came up with was that there ARE no other female Eight in the third book; only in the fifth and sixth (and really just the sixth). So I managed to have a leftover Eight with a white top who wasn't Reevol, who was male, but feminine looking. I guess he/she got a sex-change from Winnie after Voll died. (My guess is that Wendy wanted another female Eight at the last minute.

Talno has the zig-zag ish shape, but is really only distinct in SaBM:

And we all know what Kureel and Aroree look like, so that left one Eight with a round pattern just like Kureel, but couldn't be because at the table when Winnowill put Voll to sleep, Kureel was with Winnie while another Eight with the round pattern was at the table. So, I'm guessing it was Oroleed.

And that leaves me to wonder who the heck this guy is:

lunakat

Wow! All eight of them are super androgynous!

[quote:889be376c6]And that leaves me to wonder who the heck this guy is: [/quote:889be376c6]
Well... there really were [i:889be376c6]four[/i:889be376c6] musketeers.

Maybe, he's kureel's understudy?

Treefox

Wow, what an effort! Great pics.

[quote:a05630de7b]And that leaves me to wonder who the heck this guy is: [/quote:a05630de7b]

Hm...maybe it's like eight Chosen Ones of nine?

Allura

My best guess is that he's Talno, and changed patterns from book 3 to books 5 & 6 because you don't see the zigzag at all in book 3.

Treefox

Yes, that would make sense. It's still really interesting too see how the drawing style changed from book to book.

Arthis

what a PI work done here! I'm impressed Surprised

To be honest, I had never notice that each one of the chosen 8 had a specific pattern... Still so much to learn. :D

(That would have been a good question for the EQ quizz)

JadeOwl

I'm impressed as well! (It probably would have helped if you had this pic, eh? But you got them all, anyway!) I dunno whether Leanan made this or it's official, but to make it easier to see who's who:

[img:81aaf310df]http://bluemountain.atspace.com/characters/chosen8.jpg[/img:81aaf310df]

Minouche

I'm sure it would help, but unfortunately your picture doesn't come through

JadeOwl

Really? It works for me.... :?

Flowerstar

I can't see it either :( . But copying the URL I could see it. I think it's official. (That is, at least in my (German) edition there was a b/w version of the picture with the names, so probably Leanan transferred them to the colour picture?)

cactus

Not me :( . All I see is a red cross. What is it?

[quote:2583ec08d0]To be honest, I had never noticed that each one of the chosen 8 had a specific pattern... [/quote:2583ec08d0]
I learnt that the hard way.. Someone requested pictures of Reevol once, and it took me forever to find pics of him, until I finally found out how to tell them apart Grin . I was staring at the "The gliders" colorplate for a clue for ages.

Edit: Oh good idea Flowerstar :D . I didn't think of that. Yes, it's one of the colorplates/posters.

JadeOwl

Hm. Hold on, I'll try again.

Does that work?

cactus

Yup :D

Minouche

Yes, thank you :D

Allura

Yep, that pic was my basis for all of this. The problem cam in because that pic doesn't show Reevol or Oroleed's pattern. So I guessed. :D

PeregrineFalcon

ALLURA I LOVE YOU!! Thank you for scanning all those pictures. :bow:

Wow, 20 replies to a thread I started. It seems it helps if I stay away for a while :P

Leanan

Oh, I didn't make that pic, just scanned it from Wolfrider's Guide and added the names from the black and white explanation pic under it. Wink

Trollbabe

Quote:
lunakat

Well... there really were four musketeers.

And they fought with swords, not muskets. :?

I've alsways wondered what the heck they were wearing. If it's leather, why is it so thin? If it's "moth fabric", where is all the evidence of sericulture, and how do they make it so stretchy?

Embala

Let's see whether this can be brought back:

Quote:

Okay, using the process of elimination, (Finding out who IS in a scene to find out who the others are NOT.) I still got confused. A lot of this may be off, but it's what I could come up with. The scene where Adar is entertaining the Eight (seven-Aroree) really helped. Here's what I came up with on who's who: (WARNING: Heavy with pictures)

Eresir has the wave/swoosh pattern:

I'm only guessing that the last one is him. The pattern's a little off And the colors are different... but it can't really be anyone else.

Hoykar has the ripple or target pattern (oh come on, tell me that's not a target. Strongbow could hit dead center.):

I think the guy's a softie. Poor guy, look at him mourning Voll's death.

Embala

Quote:

Reevol is the only one besides Yeyeen who has a white top and so I'm guessing he's got a swoosh too, because in one scene he's there at the same time as the other swoosh:

Yeyeen would normally be easy to figure out. She's the only girl besides Aroree. The only problem I came up with was that there ARE no other female Eight in the third book; only in the fifth and sixth (and really just the sixth). So I managed to have a leftover Eight with a white top who wasn't Reevol, who was male, but feminine looking. I guess he/she got a sex-change from Winnie after Voll died. (My guess is that Wendy wanted another female Eight at the last minute.

Embala

Quote:

Talno has the zig-zag ish shape, but is really only distinct in SaBM:

And we all know what Kureel and Aroree look like, so that left one Eight with a round pattern just like Kureel, but couldn't be because at the table when Winnowill put Voll to sleep, Kureel was with Winnie while another Eight with the round pattern was at the table. So, I'm guessing it was Oroleed.

This detailed analyses and laborious collection is worth the effort to bring it back!

Allura

Haha. I just fixed my post before I got to the second page, and noticed you did it for me (sort of). Thank you!

Embala

Would have been a pity when this laborious, detailed recherche and documentation would have disappeared! Couldn't guess that you would show up again a week later Wink

Should I delete my post to make it less picture heavy?

lunakat

I like to think that, unlike the Wolfriders, the Gliders in general... including the Chosen Eight... sometimes changed their clothes.

Allura

Quote:

Would have been a pity when this laborious, detailed recherche and documentation would have disappeared! Couldn't guess that you would show up again a week later Wink

Should I delete my post to make it less picture heavy?

I don't mind either way. Were they on the same page, deleting would be best, but since they're on different pages, I guess it doesn't matter.

Embala

Okay, then I'll leave them ... at least for now Wink

Vojira

Quote:

Hehehe, ever since I saw this part of the a post I've always thought he was think 'Right, this was the wrong week to try out as one of the Eight...'

Weaver

OK. Here we are, full speed ahead in the Final Quest and I can't help but wonder if the 6 DID in fact survive. I've glanced back at my old graphic novels and don't see any mention of their spirits specifically in Rayek or in the palace. Also, it's a bit fishy that they are presumed dead in their bios. Could they be hiding in the mountaintop sanctuary? I really hope so. I feel like the gliders were really cool but with Winnowill always stealing the show, we didn't get to really know most of them.

Could this be one of the "rules" Wendy intends on breaking?

After learning that the male Door and Aurek survived, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe Two Edge whisked them away. Maybe one of them was a rock shaper. We simply don't know for sure and I'm cautiously optimistic that in the coming weeks we'll find out for certain.

lunakat

Or maybe, not being asleep, they just hopped on their birds and flew off... like Kureel and Aroree.

RedheadEmber

Weaver said: After learning that the male Door and Aurek survived, I wouldn't be surprised.

We knew right from the end of SaBM that the male Door survived. He just wasn't really alive for another 10,000 years.

lunakat said: Or maybe, not being asleep, they just hopped on their birds and flew off... like Kureel and Aroree.

They were asleep. Just not thanks to >:) but thanks to :bz (and B-) and !Adar )

Eyeshigh

Kureel could escape, so maybe he freed the other chosen to prepare to attack the wolfriders?
Only after seeing the mountain fall, only Kureel stayed to avenge his people?
I mean they also flew off when Lord Voll was killed, it is their nature to not fight, but flee. At least that is my opinion.
But that is only if they survived!

RedheadEmber

Kureel to me just seemed to have slipped pretty far off the 'crazy slope' at that time. Don't think "I need to free my tribemates" would've been on his mind at that time, just a pretty big "REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

travelbug

I think it would be nice if more gliders made it, as they are so very few.

I agree with Eyeshigh about survivors probably would run and hide