ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Angrif Djun - Kinslayer

MultiMEDEA

There's the start of an interesting discussion of this character in the "Mender's Tale" thread so I thought I'd bring it over here...

Quote:
Multimedea

I also like how some of the events spilled over into the backstory of the "Recognition" storyline. I especially like how Angrif Djun is shaping up as a character. Finally, a human quasi-villain with more layers than 2-ply toilet paper.

Quote:
MultiMEDEA

Quote:
Killey

I'm not so sure Angrif is a quasi-villain so much as the next arch-villain. There are only three genuinely hardcore-evil villains I can think of in Elfquest; Winnowill, Djun (sr), and Angrif. Angrif is a dyed-in-the-wool cold-blooded redemptionless killer.

Oh yeah, Angrif's as Machiavellian as all-get-out. But he's not (yet) an arch-villain in the EQ sense as the elves in general are basically an afterthought to him. He's not particularly obsessed with them as other past human villains have been. Yeah, he claimed when he was a teen that he'd exterminate all elves, but he's been fairly lackadaisical about it til now. He'd let 25-30 years pass by and raised two sons (destined to march in his hob-nailed bootsteps) in that time and hadn't had any contact with elves during then. He'd forgotten Ember's tribe was in the area until Erghii reminded him. He was keeping his eyes on the prize of expanding Djunlander territory by any means necessary. Not so groovy for the Longrider clan, but getting their area was his main goal. Getting some payback on the elves was a fringe benefit. Killing his pop and sis wasn't so groovy either, but he's a weasel from a pack of weasels and history is ripe with tales of outstanding leaders gaining a throne via familiacide.

This is an interesting discussion. I may move over to the "Angrif Djun" character thread if anyone else is interested in pursuing any possible plotlines coming from it. Or, how it might tie into the Final Quest?

So, any thoughts on Angrif? Is he a new kind of human on Abode, seeing the elves as neither spirits to be worshiped nor demons to be eradicated at all costs? Can he and Ember's tribe live side by side in relative peace (if he finds it politically expedient to do so?) And who is Lodok and Rathol's mother? What woman would be craz--er--lucky enough to marry a Djun? :D

Minouche

I think that, while the "demons" are a thorn in his side, they're much more a pretext than a true obsession.
He plots to take the power from his father and uses his father's obsession with the elves to erode his power and gain the trust of his subjects
When his sister tries to win the respect of their father by going on a mission to exterminate them, he uses her project to get rid of her and become a hero to his father's subjects.
When his plot is uncovered by his father, he kill him but hides his murder under the guise of the "evil"influence of the "demon's Sword to gain the respect of his subjects.
His expedition against Ember's tribe is devised to establish his authority and prove himself to his subjects.
Then, in Mender's tale, his sons and him pretend to go on a joined campaign to eradicate the elves, but it is actually to draw away the army of the town they want to conquer and then, turn around and slaughter its soldiers and its chief and destroy the town.
The elves are a afterthought. Sure, he must eventually kill them in order to prove to his people what a brave Djun he is, but it isn't exactly his purpose in life. What he wants above all is absolute power.

Tenderfoot

A feral smile lights on the Djun's handsome face!? Surprised Wtf, was the artist blind or something? He looks like three-years-worn-socks that hasn't been washed!

Btw, anyone happen to know the colors on his hair and eyes? I see that his hair is dark, so it has to be either dark brown pr black... Gromuhl/Grohmul was black-haired, right? And what about Gifa? How does she look like?

Apogee

>_> I think he was absolutely stunningly handsome myself.

A jerk and a half, but ... handsome...

Embala

I'd rather go with Apogee ... not my taste by attitude and acting ... but handsome in his way.

A "handsome man" must not neccessary be a "pretty boy" Wink

Rainflower

I think he's juat YOUCK :x

Embala

Smile ... whatever this means!

You needn't like his look! ... maybe you will - in about 20-30 years Wink

MultiMEDEA

Quote:
Embala

I'd rather go with Apogee ... not my taste by attitude and acting ... but handsome in his way.

A "handsome man" must not neccessary be a "pretty boy" Wink

That's my thinking, too. Probably (under the right artist) he's supposed to be extremely, if ruggedly, handsome in a human, not elfin, way. He's also supposed to be very charming and persuasive. Then again, so many sociopaths are. (Think Ted Bundy.) I like that he wears his character on his face; that way you can tell he actually had to work to maintain and expand his kingdom.

I'd like to see him with chestnut or russet brown hair (if they ever get around to coloring EQ vol. 2). There are way too many black-haired humans (and villains) in the Quest. Let's have some variety for a change. :D

Songflower

Medea: "who is Lodok and Rathol's mother? What woman would be craz--er--lucky enough to marry a Djun?"

I figure he is most likely to have married a passive nonentity-type who happens to be the daughter or sister of someone whose alliance he really needs. But I think it would be interesting if she turned out different than he expected, and he still had to keep her alive and well-treated due to his relationship with her father/brother. I don't think we're going to get this story, though, of course.

Tenderfoot

Quote:
Songflower

I figure he is most likely to have married a passive nonentity-type who happens to be the daughter or sister of someone whose alliance he really needs. But I think it would be interesting if she turned out different than he expected, and he still had to keep her alive and well-treated due to his relationship with her father/brother. I don't think we're going to get this story, though, of course.

Now, this really gives me an idea!

Quote:
MultiMEDEA

I'd like to see him with chestnut or russet brown hair (if they ever get around to coloring EQ vol. 2). There are way too many black-haired humans (and villains) in the Quest. Let's have some variety for a change. :D

Yeah, chestnut sounds fine. Dunno about russet brown, don't really know what it looks like. But I'll check it later. But his eyes, then? Brown? Green? Blue? Hazel? Grey? Black? I think they look brown or black, but they could also be grey.

And what about Gifa? Her hair's clearly lighter than his, so I would guess that she's somewhere golden haired or blond and reddish. Her eyes... would guess hazel brown or green, maybe blue

Embala

When I see right, he has chestnut hair and blue-green eyes Wink

MultiMEDEA

Thanks for the pic, Embala! I forgot about that cover. Though it's hard to tell if the artist was just using dramatic coloring for the whole thing. 'Cause those aren't really Mender or Pike's natural colors, either.

Embala

True - there's much "fire" in this pic ... I imagine him less red indeed. Leaves a certain possibility that it's close to his colors, though - the skin isn't so much off.

Better than a wild guess. Smile

MultiMEDEA

Was thinking...since Angrif's probably gonna make an appearance in the "Final Quest", who would I want to play him in the movie version?

Of course it'd have to be my go-to Medieval bad-a$$ guy Sean Bean! That is, if he ain't tired of playing sword-wielding, horse-riding, leather armor-wearing princely kings who wind up dying in the end...

Embala

Hhmmm ...

Not bad indeed! Wink

Trollbabe

There was some storyline that left me confused, in which he was attacking a city with catapults and fire. Then I missed something after that, and everything was back to normal.

Embala

There was some storyline that left me confused, in which he was attacking a city with catapults and fire.
This is definitely from "Recognition", Trollbabe. This tale is not finished (hopefully it will in The Final Quest) and nothing is "back to nomal" there. Storytelling just switched from the town under fire to the Wolfrider's hiding place, where they are discussing how to help the children of the town.

Then I missed something after that, and everything was back to normal.
The same town and people are featured in "Mender's Tale" that tells a story happening about 20 years before "Recognition".

I can only guess that you've read in the wrong order and got confused because of this ...

Trollbabe

That could be the problem. So the present storyline ends with the city under siege. Then in Final Quest, it looks like Ember's band includes a full-grown human, perhaps an orphan from the siege.

MultiMEDEA

No, that's Khorbasi. He was already an orphan kid when Yun and Mender first met him back in "Mender's Tale". Final Quest: prologue's timeline is screwed up regarding him, but Elfmom & Pop insist we take a "What...Me Worry?" attitude about it.

lunakat

Wendy said something that suggested she was planning to mess with the timeline via time-travel. She said everything would be explained and make sense, but that it wasn't going to be linear. We should probably wait to gripe about it until we know we have a reason to- I mean... until the story actually comes out.

Embala

Ditto.

Thanks for this, luna.

Trollbabe

At the end of Final Quest Prologue, when the Howl is going on, about how old is Angrif?

Embala

When I should dare a guess, based on the previous tales ... in his mid forties. But this timeline has some 40 years between the fall of Citadel and Angrif's appearance in Recognition.

With the timeline confused like it seems to be (means the events and time marks in Wild Hunt are no longer reliable) there's no "well-founded" estimation for the recent story line.

The timeline that leads from the end of Shards directly via SatS/Discovery to TFQS counts about 26/27 years only. Angrif still looks like 40 for me - 5 years give or take.

Trollbabe

Compared to human history in our world, a man would be lucky to live through his forties in that era.

Embala

Okay, I've just read a statement that the timeline was changed ... the shorter version is what we need to go for. Nevertheless the events in Wild Hunt took place.

Angrif was still an aloescent or very young man - between 16 and 20 years - when he killed his father. This probably took place immediately before or at the beginning of TFQS. Add 20 years ... he's still 35 or older.

And when the events of Recognition will not be retconned he has two sons, about 16 - 20 years old. He's not a young man anymore.

RedheadEmber

One thing I've been wondering about Angrif (and Gifa):

Where the hell were they during the Shards arc?
Did the defeat at the hand of the elves cause Gromuhl to go "Oh shit! I actually am mortal! I better start grooming my son to actually be my heir! And my daughter could also be useful, somehow..."

ChristinaRaibert

Pretty much, I guess (btw - was their mother's name ever mentioned?)

The Djun might have had his children raised in one of his many mansions... but not been very much present in their lives. I think that's the reason why Gifa especially was so keen to prove her worth to him - after being left pretty much to herself for most of her childhood, now suddenly her father's back with plans for her brother, while she's slated to be nothing else than the idealized female child of the Djun - essentially a pretty trinket on a pedestal. Soon as she realized that her cunning had favorably impressed her father, she'd do all that was in her power not to lose that favor and prove herself better than Angrif.

RedheadEmber

Aaand... from now on he shall be known as Angrif the Nut-less!

Embala

O.O ... XD

MrsGrizzley

Redhead, the proper term is Eunuch.

Which means he has been "unmanned".

Which suuuucks for him if he's proclaiming The Divine Right of Men to Lead Because Equipment since, you know, he doesn't have said equipment anymore.

Heather

RedheadEmber said: Aaand... from now on he shall be known as Angrif the Nut-less!

Love it!

RichardPini

Angrif Mounds

Tam

@RichardPini AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Heather

@RichardPini Now that's a joke to wake up to!

RedheadEmber

Something I realised:

If, as has been speculating, Rathol ends up doing something that'll want Angrif to live up to his nickname (the one in the thread title that is), then he (Angrif) will have a bit of a problem: He can't!
Of course he would be able to do it, but then he wouldn't have any heirs!

Embala

*ROFL* ... that's just too fitting! *bows* @RichardPini