ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

New way of chatting/talking with eachother!

NightAngel

[color=darkred:b1bb2f4392]Kir brought me to this idea!

Everyone knows Skype, the perfect solution to communicate with people from over the world without any paying high costs; it's free because it's on internet!
[url=http://www.skype.com/welcomeback/]You can download Skype here[/url]

Skype is free and easy to download, we can make an Elfquest chatgroup, I'll be happy to make one?
I know how it works, because Ive used it to communicate with tribemates from a browsergame, and sometimes we talked to eachother, Big fun!
But you need a microphone ofcourse :D

So, who's in?[/color:b1bb2f4392]

KirthelastGo-Back

Well, I THINK I've just installed Skype... as an extension of MySpace. But I haven't tried it out just yet.

Angel, I searched for your Skype account and couldn't find it, either by your name or by your e-mail address. Maybe I need to install the Skype software separately?

KirthelastGo-Back

Actually, Angel, check that. Found you on Skype! :D

It's almost 5 a.m. in California, but if you have a minute, maybe we can try to talk computer to computer? Let me know.

Shade and sweet communication,
"Kir"

NightAngel

[color=darkred:6017158b16]How did you find me!? :D

My Skype name is Kahvii[/color:6017158b16]

KirthelastGo-Back

[quote:b99e377dbf="NightAngel"][color=darkred:b99e377dbf]How did you find me!? :D

My Skype name is Kahvii[/color:b99e377dbf][/quote:b99e377dbf]

And mine is kir_goback. (Also PM'ing you the underlying e-mail address, which is another way you can look me up.)

I can give this a try. It might sound really funky, but it's worth one shot. :)

NightAngel

[color=darkred:cea4beb94a]Alright, I added you on the Elfquest chat on Skype

So, come on people!
Let's give this a try indeed.[/color:cea4beb94a]

:D

[b:cea4beb94a]IMPORTANT[/b:cea4beb94a][color=indigo:cea4beb94a]Never click the 'leave sign', but simply on the cross to make go away the windo.
If you do, the host (me) has to invite you every time again you wanna chat.
If you click the cross, you're back each time you log in at Skype[/color:cea4beb94a]

Xiu

I tried using Skype, never got the hang of it, so now I use either AIM --> AutumnsOwner12 <-- (moi!) or I use a Internet Relay Chat network knownm as IRCStorm.net

Real time chatting :) better then the phonwe if you ask me.

KirthelastGo-Back

I'm ready to try Skype because, though I'm willing to do online chat, it's too much at the mercy of the Internet connection to my taste. There have just been too many jokes that have fallen flat, too many comments that have been misunderstood, because it took three minutes for a sentence to get transmitted.

But that's just me.

Xiu

You must have dialup then Kir, on IRCStorm everything is moving to the speed of your own machine, unless your ram levels are low... then things will lag on your end

NightAngel

[quote:8c2554cd7b="Xiu"]

Real time chatting :) better then the phonwe if you ask me.[/quote:8c2554cd7b]
[color=darkred:8c2554cd7b]
You don't have to call, there's a chat-programm as well

I don't have AIM :([/color:8c2554cd7b]

Xiu

[quote:c003652dbf="NightAngel"][quote:c003652dbf="Xiu"]

Real time chatting :) better then the phonwe if you ask me.[/quote:c003652dbf]
[color=darkred:c003652dbf]
You don't have to call, there's a chat-programm as well

I don't have AIM :([/color:c003652dbf][/quote:c003652dbf]

it is very easy to get it I think, for those that do not have it, all you need do is download a client called Pidgin, it is free and not very big. Once you have it install you must setup an account on the client, best thing to do is try and get a AIM handle through that, maybe even go onto aol and find out how,? my sister set mine up six years ago, I've used it ever since.

NightAngel

AIM is the same as MSN messanger I guess.

Where did the chat overhere go by the way?

Xiu

It got removed via ElfPop for hidden reason! 8) I sense conspiracy ;) (I'm really just kidding)

I can't use MSN, my machine doesn't like it :?

KirthelastGo-Back

[quote:f15d35d534="Xiu"]You must have dialup then Kir, on IRCStorm everything is moving to the speed of your own machine, unless your ram levels are low... then things will lag on your end[/quote:f15d35d534]

No, actually, I have a cable modem (haven't been on dial-up in four years) and the speed is quite decent. But even with that, any number of things can slow down a chat.

KirthelastGo-Back

Nibblet, Kin and Laurel...

...I'm wondering if any/all of you would consider getting Skype? I just downloaded the iPhone version, which means I could make those calls from anywhere using the handset, not just at the computer.

Can you let me know? Thanks. :)

Clear connections,
"Kir" Wink

Nowth

[quote:537ea0344d="NightAngel"]AIM is the same as MSN messanger I guess.

Where did the chat overhere go by the way?[/quote:537ea0344d]

It was a security risk.

Maelstrom

Does anybody know how to set up an IRC channel? IRC can be easily accessed via browser-based clients such as Mibbit that don't require downloading, and easily supports 60+ people at a time. I know the PAX Enforcers use an IRC channel for our chatting.

It sounds like a great idea to me, but I have zero idea of how to go about implementing such a thing.

Xiu

[quote:9072e9cb49="Maelstrom"]Does anybody know how to set up an IRC channel? IRC can be easily accessed via browser-based clients such as Mibbit that don't require downloading, and easily supports 60+ people at a time. I know the PAX Enforcers use an IRC channel for our chatting.

It sounds like a great idea to me, but I have zero idea of how to go about implementing such a thing.[/quote:9072e9cb49]I have expertise in this area. I'm on the staff on irc.IRCStorm.net port 6667 server. IF you like we can meet up in the chatgate channel on there (run by my younger sister and I, though i'm rarely on there as much as she.)

It is actually quite easy to setup an IRC channel. if you have access to freejavachat that works too.

Maelstrom

That sounds like an awesome idea! Just...for sometime not now, for me. It's 0430 over here and I've been shorting myself on sleep.

I will, however, cross my fingers and hope this happens. So many of the people I've seen on here sound like they'd be great fun to chat with. (Aw, crap, the happiness and love here is starting to infect even a hardcore cynic like myself. Whatever shall I do?)

NightAngel

I've got mIRC installed overhere.

Xiu

I use a stripped down version of mIRC myself, it is called cIRC (chat Internet Relay Client I think it is what it stands for). the server and port are (server) irc.ircstorm.net (port) 6667

If you like I can see about creating a EQ channel on there :)

NightAngel

Ehm, and that stripped down version is not the same as Mirc? :roll:

Xiu

It is smaller in total hard drive space actually. But it is the same for the most part, as mIRC.

NightAngel

Hm okay.
And that link shows me how to install?

Maelstrom

Xiu: That would be awesome!

Nightangel: You shouldn't have to actually install anything, if you already have an IRC client. Just /join the channel whenever that gets set up.

Xiu

Actualy, NightAngel, all you really gotta do, if you have the mIRC installer on your machine on your start menu, (or if it is already setup) open it. You need not worry about paying anything, it is free, unless you want to make a donation to the guy, up to you.

After you pass that welcome screen the OPTIONS screen pops up. there is a tree of options to go through and set mIRC to your likeing. first thing you want to go to is click on the little [+] icon next to the top option, (it will look like this [+]Connect) click the [+] and a drop down menu will appear.

Click SERVERS

Click ADD NEW SERVER, name it server1 (or whichever you want) enter server ID (irc.ircstorm.net) as well as port number 6667 (this is normally automatically done) after you se that up go to the tree menu (where the [+]Connect is now [-]Connect) click on CONNECT, the connection options menu appears where you can enter your personal information (like the name you would like to use when in there, along with your email adress (o anything that comes to mind to enter in the line for email))

Once that is all set click CONNECT, you should be directed to the MotD (Message of the Day). After you get that, you can type into the typing window (which is along the bottom of the mIRC screen I assume, mine is on my right of the screen (I'm Chinese so everything is right to left)) all you goptta type is /join #channelname in this case you just type /join #ElfQuest (or if you want a run through of command you can go [url=http://stargatechat.atspace.com]here[/url] <-- link takes you directly to my sisters stargate channel)

wildfire

Nice idea. I'd join in, but I haven't got a microphone.. :roll:

Laurel

Heh, me neither. I did join for the future when I do get a microphone, but I'm on a mac, so... Nightangel as we discovered with Palace, mine works differently. I have no idea how to find our EQ group. I'll look into a microphone as soon as I am able.

KirthelastGo-Back

Hey, Laurel!

Changing the topic a bit... with computer and microphone in hand, do you have Skype as well? Because if you do, maybe we could talk sometime? (I just got Skype for my iPhone, so I could even walk around during said conversation. Wink )

And here's hoping your freedom never gets old. :hug2:

Cheers,
"Kir"

Nowth

How do you keep someone from using your nickname on IRC? I think there's a way but I never got into IRC.

Xiu

To join IRC you need not have a microphone, just writing skills is all :)

Nowth, that is easy, to keep people from using the name you wish to use, you register it. Names expire after 30 days of non use, however.

Just wanted to also add the channel is created. When i'm in IRC I'm known as Fuzzball (which is mostly true being a cats pet I have a lot of their fur on my face when I wake up)

Nowth

[quote:5fa6b5e404="Xiu"]Nowth, that is easy, to keep people from using the name you wish to use, you register it. Names expire after 30 days of non use, however.[/quote:5fa6b5e404]
I was hoping you'd tell me how :P

Xiu

You can ask Taeryn that Q, she's a staff member of the network. So she can tell you better then I.

Laurel

[quote:b34313237f="Kir. the last Go-Back"]Hey, Laurel!

Changing the topic a bit... with computer and microphone in hand, do you have Skype as well? Because if you do, maybe we could talk sometime? (I just got Skype for my iPhone, so I could even walk around during said conversation. Wink )

And here's hoping your freedom never gets old. :hug2:

Cheers,
"Kir"[/quote:b34313237f]

I have installed skype but I need a microphone and can't afford one just yet. When I do get one I'll let you know

KirthelastGo-Back

Hey! More Skype updates here.

In the last two days I've gotten links to three of you fellow Forumites on Skype - NightAngel, Martoo and Kojiyumi (hey Koji-chan! Are you still at least lurking here?)

Is there anyone else here already on Skype who would like to chat or talk? Let me know. :)

Stormcatcher

Months ago I placed an ad seeking online friends at a Japanese friendship board and after more than thirty replies I recently received an answer from a 30-year-old Japanese lady from Osaka. As she is visually handicapped she finds it difficult to answer mails and much prefers Skype. Regrettably I do not have Skype (and I'm a lousy talker on the phone anyway). So I offered her to check among my friends. Alas, none of my close friends turned out to be Skypers.

As I know most EQers are very kind people I dare ask for some support here. Anybody who would like to Skype with my Japanese acquaintance, please PM me. Thank you very much, or, as they say in Osaka, ├┤ki ni! ^_^

Elwing

So, is this IRC channel still being used? Are there other chats?

Vaeri

ooooh, i'd love talking with a japanese person! i'd pepper them with all kinds of questions about the food. XD

i'd also like to know if the IRC channel is used. and i use skype if anyone ever feels like jabberjawing a bit. username is CrystalSetsuna.

MultiFacets

I'm multi-facets on Skype, but I've gotten a few spammers, so if anyone would like to chat, it'd be best if you said "Hi, I'm from the EQ forum," or something like that to open. I'm also a little shy and find it hard to talk face to face, so a lot of video calls might not work out. Sorry, all.

I also have AIM (themultifacets) and Y!IM (multi_facets2001).

Zinegirl

Is there an EQ skypechat? I use skype often to chat with other internet friends, but I never (video) call, I only use the text chat.

Leanan

I now have Skype... sort of... I don't own a camera or a microphone so I'll just be writing messages... my Skype name is fahrsoul . If you add me, mention ElfQuest so I know where I know you from. ;)

MultiFacets

I should mention I'm online virtually every night, usually at eight PM Mountain Time. And I'm on for hooours. I'm very nocturnal partly by choice and partly thanks to a flipped circadian rhythm.

iodao

Im in :O)