Embala

She's awesome! Thanks for showing Happy

WolfMoonSky

She looks awsome!!!Grin

Vang

Quote:

Quote:
spiritofthewater

Does anyone know what's the best way to store drawings? Should they be on the wall, behind glass and frame, or should they be stored in some kind of archive, in plastic bags? I know it is important to keep the air dry, and to avoid sunlight, but I'm not really sure about the best way to take care of them. Since I have two WP originals (posted elsewhere in this forum) I would very much like to know.

That depends. Do you want to see/display them? Or just have them? If you want to show them, the best way is first to have them framed archivally by a professional frame shop. They will use acid-free materials and museum (UV-blocking) glass. Then be sure to hang the art away from direct or even strong reflected sunlight, or in a room with strong lighting of any kind.

This would be especially important with the painting shown on the first page, in flourescent acrylic. That kind of paint is especially vulnerable to deteriorating from bright light. Considering its age, it actually has held up very, very well.

And it is a spectacular use of color. Very playful. And very skillfully done.

Tavie

This is probably the wrong thread for this - but does anyone else find it weird that people are selling pictures of Wendy dressed up as Red Sonja from the 1970s?

She makes a great pin-up model, I just find it so... strange.

Embala

My experience says that everything is sold when there is a market for it.

So your question should be :

Why are people buying pictures of Wendy dressed up as Red Sonja from the 1970s?

Well ... She makes a great pin-up model - and there are collectors who wish to possess everything connected to their object of desire (EQ, Red Sonja, ... whatelse)

RichardPini

Quote:

My experience says that everything is sold when there is a market for it.

So your question should be :

Why are people buying pictures of Wendy dressed up as Red Sonja from the 1970s?

Well ... She makes a great pin-up model - and there are collectors who wish to possess everything connected to their object of desire (EQ, Red Sonja, ... whatelse)

Attend a convention sometime where stars from long-ago shows do everything in their power to entice people into buying 8x10 glossies of the characters they played once, or themselves in younger days, or in skimpier costumes. It's a major subset of fandom and collecting.

Apogee

Yeah but Wendy's still hot Smile

RichardPini

Quote:

Yeah but Wendy's still hot Smile

Well there is that, too. Plus she's still creating new stuff.

AceQuester

Does anyone have the posters that where published in the comics a few years ago digital or me? I had them but after a pc-crash i lost everything and i can't find them anymore :S They are also published in the Wolfriders Guide i believe..
Mabe they are already online hee but i can't find them :S
Ca anyone help me with that? Especially with the 'beloved deaths'-poster :D
Many tnx!

Windrider

Ace, at their Cafe Press shop, Warp is offering a calendar that contains all the old centerfold posters, I believe. Just go to "shopping" on the green nav bar, and then to Cafe Press. It will be under "stuff for the home."

silverwillow7

Wendy Pini Go-Back on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wendy-Pini-Elf-Frost-Giant-11-x14-Very-cool-LOOK_W0QQitemZ270528085954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efcbaffc2

Tavie

If you guys aren't following Masque of the Red Death, you may not have seen this gorgeous new EQ banner Wendy designed this week.

Embala

W.O.W. !

WolfMoonSky

OMG!!OMG I love it, I love it!!!!!!!! Its so beautifullYay

faeriegirl

She posted the thing also on Facebook Smile It's GORGEOUS!

RichardPini

Quote:

If you guys aren't following Masque of the Red Death, you may not have seen this gorgeous new EQ banner Wendy designed this week.

I do want to post it here as well, once I can wrangle getting the original art onto my laptop at the same time as I have access to electricity and wifi. There will also be non-text versions of the art for both the EQ and the Masque posters available on CafePress one of these days Real Soon Now.

Laurel

Quote:

I do want to post it here as well, once I can wrangle getting the original art onto my laptop at the same time as I have access to electricity and wifi. There will also be non-text versions of the art for both the EQ and the Masque posters available on CafePress one of these days Real Soon Now.

Yet another reason for me to go shopping on CafePress. Going to have to give into those urges soon

Arthis

OMG!! Leetah,'s new clothes are awesome! Heart

Minouchette

Why has Cutter's nose shortened so much? It makes him look like a "face furred" toddler.

Vojira

...Something looks a bit off with Strongbow's hair. Like its...placed wrong?

WolfMoonSky

Ooh Minouche and Vojira Roflmao

VBaby

Honestly the only reason I would have gone to Gallifrey this weekend would have been to see this and Wendy haha! Sounds awful I know, but sadly I had to work.

spiritofthewater

cover from Comic Buyer Guide #1017:

This was too big for my scanner so I had to take an ordinary photo instead.

As you probably can see Wendy seems to have drawn Cutter. Paul Abrams has probably done Skywise and Barry Blair must have drawn Dart. I can not see who is responsible for Ember, but the signature under her, which looks like "CB", is probably Charles Barnett. In EQ mags from '93 he is credited as an inker.

WP close up:

...and since Petalwing probably like a little more attention:

Vojira

...Dart's hair/hat made me fall off my chair laughing.

faeriegirl

Yea, he looks like a girl with ponytails sticking out under the hat!! Roflmao

Anyway, awesome find!!!

Embala

Echoes faeriegirl - awesome find! Barry Blair proved that he actuall can draw EQ Elves!!!

And you are right ... Petalwing LOVES a little more attention Wink

Minouchette

Only problem: Skywise's eyes and nose. They're lovely, but they aren't his

WolfMoonSky

Haha I love this and I agree with everyone!! Great find!!Smile

spiritofthewater

from Comics Buyer Guide #1230, 1997:

Vojira

Eek! good gods the elves and Picknose are small compared to Wendy and Richard. Makes me wonder how tall a High One is compared to them?

faeriegirl

Very awesome picture!!

G0lden

Quote:

Eek! good gods the elves and Picknose are small compared to Wendy and Richard. Makes me wonder how tall a High One is compared to them?

Well Cutters stands about 4 ft tall and Picknose is taller than he is. As for the High Ones, they we as tall as humans.

Great pic.

Minouchette

I really like that one

Embala

This whole scene is so much fun !!! I love Skywise with Richard and how "lovesick" Cutter is eying Leetah's drawing.

... and the close-ups show all the loving details and the great art!

WolfMoonSky

One word.....AWESOME!!!Eek! Heart

spiritofthewater

You have probably seen this many times before, but I post it anyway:

Embala

It's always a pleasure to look at Happy

And I never looked so close ... I never realzed Rayek!

Vojira

*Blinks and looks at Timmain*She has clothes one? O___o

Embala

*trying to remember* ... somewhere somewhen I've read that naked Timmain wasn't "appropriate" for a promotion poster - so she got dressed.

Do you know more, Spirit?

Thornbrake

Yeah, Timmain sure does look weird with clothes on! Laugh

I think this was from the promotional art that Wendy did for a treatment of the movie that was being shopped around in the late 90s/early 00s. Even then, you can see that a movie project will probably distill events from the comics rather than be an exact play-by-play of them.

Minouche

Timmain looks always great, but that's not human proportions by a long shot. Her limbs are much too long for that.

spiritofthewater

Quote:

*trying to remember* ... somewhere somewhen I've read that naked Timmain wasn't "appropriate" for a promotion poster - so she got dressed.

Do you know more, Spirit?

I think this was a promotion card for the Readers Collection's books. On the backside there is written "Elfquest Reader's Collection", and then you have a list of all the RC titles.

That is all I know, but I certainly don't think a naked Timmain could have been used on a poster, especially not to promote a Hollywood movie.

Vojira

I have to say the cover confuses me somewhat...

spiritofthewater

I have posted this before, in a forgotten tread, so I do it again. This is from a portfolio called Legends of Arzach, from 1992:

Embala

Surprising colors - strong contrast between the victorious warrior and the etherial angel-like figure.

lunakat

this is all cool and such, but.. where did the thread with wendy's new drawings of cutter and leetah go? Wasn't it in this section?

Embala

It's gone nowhere, Lunakat Wink It's sticky right on top of "All the many colors"!

spiritofthewater

faeriegirl

*drools*

WolfMoonSky

....*drools*Heart Luvlove

cometduster

Quote:

You have probably seen this many times before, but I post it anyway:

Everyone might think I'm *CRAZY* but she looks like a healed Winnowill....I know she has white hair but I think her facial features look like Winnowill.....

Vojira

...(Studies the pictures)
Actually, I think you're right.
I think is her expression and her hair.
The expression is more Winnowill then Timmain.
Her hair has the length of Winnowill too. And the same amount too. O__o
I wonder why Rayek is in his 'Kings' clothing.

cometduster

I don't know!!!

Firethorne

I don't know, I think she's a little more Timmain like, but neither woman has ever been shown with a full blown, real smile before (evil calculating smiles don't count) so...

Vojira

Hmmm... I think I'm going to say it's Timmian's evil looking aunt.

spiritofthewater

I just want to put up some Christmas decorations.

Some of you may not have seen these before, but they are both taken from the front page of the old forum:

I actually had to take a few glasses when I saw these pictures again. All I had was a bottle of Crème de Cassis, so that is what I'm drinking now, but it taste like Christmas.

Embala

Winnowill looks fantastic in blue Hypnotize

WolfMoonSky

wOW!!OMG!!

sulken

Quote:

...(Studies the pictures)

Actually, I think you're right.

I think is her expression and her hair.

The expression is more Winnowill then Timmain.

Her hair has the length of Winnowill too. And the same amount too. O__o

I wonder why Rayek is in his 'Kings' clothing.

To me it looks rather like Rayek's wearing his back-then-in-the Sun Village" stuff. I think he's wearing this claw-pectoral. And the rest wears the clothes they wore during the war. Timmain is actually wearing something, uiuiuiEvilgrin

Vojira

(Notices the claw thingie too)
Hmmm...Could be the cape that's throwing me off...
Still, it kinda 'upsets' the picture in way...

Stormcatcher

Yeah, sort of a time-slip like feeling...

But everything else is like WOW... OMG!!

Vojira

Quote:

Yeah, sort of a time-slip like feeling...

Exactly.

Timmain looking like that just makes it worse.

Embala

Okay ... now I agree that this is somewhat ... weird. I thought this poster is the slightly altered calendar pic from the "Greatest Moments" (have read somewhere that they had to dress Timmain to make it - ahm ... appropriate).

Just compared it with the original ...

It is basically the same picture as far as Palace and Scroll background are concerned

- sort of a frame - the columns in the foreground - is added

- background figures besides Cutter, Leetah and Skywise are removed

You are right with Rayek's "time warp" effect! He is added ... copied in from somewhere else?

Timmain is dressed - as expected - but her face is altered as well! Surprised Maybe this lady is meant to be Winnowill!

Really wish to learn more about this picture ...

Vojira

What was the picture meant for? Was the movie supposed to be realized at the time?

jeb

Maybe it was an alternate ending to shards. Instead of Rayek capturing Winnowill, she took over Timmain's body. It definitely looks more like Winnowill than Timmain.

Besides, that being Winnowill would explain why Cutter, Leetah and Skywise look so alarmed.

Vojira

Quote:

Maybe it was an alternate ending to shards. Instead of Rayek capturing Winnowill, she took over Timmain's body. It definitely looks more like Winnowill than Timmain.

XD I like the idea, but it doesn't explain the clothes mix up.

jeb

Easy. She hit Rayek with such force she blew him all the way back to 1985!

(Or whenever Voice of the Sun came out.)

Vojira

XDDD

Thornbrake

Great catch Embala! Here's the link to the piece as it appeared in the the Greatest Moments Calendar (2000).

The version posted here by Spirit of the Water was designed, I believe, to promote the film adaptation that was being shopped around at the time. As mentioned, that's why Timmain is wearing clothing and also explains why Rayek's clothing doesn't match up with that of the other characters in terms of how things happened in the comic.

Remember, any movie treatment is going to distill events from the comics rather than being a page by page recreation of them. Events, details, clothing, etc are likely to be mixed up and reassembled to create something that works for film. With that in mind, I'm quite certain that any inconsistencies with the comic aren't mistakes or mix-ups.

But the change in facial features and expressions on Timmain/Winnowill is the most interesting thing! I never noticed that. I think Jeb's theory is a good one.

Embala

Thanks for the informations, Thornbrake!

cometduster

Well at least no one thinks I'm crazy.....Yay

I like jeb's theory to...

WolfMoonSky

I like your theory jeb!

of course no one thinks you are Cometduster..Evilgrin

Vojira

Quote:

Great catch Embala! Here's the link to the piece as it appeared in the the Greatest Moments Calendar (2000).

The version posted here by Spirit of the Water was designed, I believe, to promote the film adaptation that was being shopped around at the time. As mentioned, that's why Timmain is wearing clothing and also explains why Rayek's clothing doesn't match up with that of the other characters in terms of how things happened in the comic.

Remember, any movie treatment is going to distill events from the comics rather than being a page by page recreation of them. Events, details, clothing, etc are likely to be mixed up and reassembled to create something that works for film. With that in mind, I'm quite certain that any inconsistencies with the comic aren't mistakes or mix-ups.

If we're going to go by that logic...the the EQ movie is going to be the biggest hackjob ever.
...What a shame they could be bothered to make a decent poster.

spiritofthewater

It would perhaps be OK to have both on the same page.

Greatest Moments Calendar pic (a bit cropped just to make it as big as possible):

2001 postcard:

Embala

Great to see them in direct comparism. Very comfortable! Thanks, spirit Smile

cometduster

Now the first Photo is Timmain and on the third photo looks like Winnowill, I wonder it maybe Wendy is going to come out with more stories that might go some what like this. That Winnowill was able to be healed by Leetah just before Rayek could not hold on to Winnowill much longer, and when she was healed he was able to let her go. Witch that could be why Rayek is on the ground with exhaustion from holding her for so long....* My mind is going crazy now*

Vojira

Quote:

Now the first Photo is Timmain and on the third photo looks like Winnowill, I wonder it maybe Wendy is going to come out with more stories that might go some what like this. That Winnowill was able to be healed by Leetah just before Rayek could not hold on to Winnowill much longer, and when she was healed he was able to let her go. Witch that could be why Rayek is on the ground with exhaustion from holding her for so long....* My mind is going crazy now*

I think you're forgetting Winnowill should be healed because she wants to be healed. A forced healing of Winnowill tends to have...bad results. I don't think she would be happy looking after a that...

What's up with the chance of skin colour? Timmain is blueish purple on the postcard...O___o

They should really kick themselves...

spiritofthewater

Perhaps it is something that will take place in Quests End?

Vojira

But-but-but! They-! And Rayek!Arrrg...
(Hates the illogic this picture brings up...)
Must say i love the images on the scroll. =)

cometduster

SmileYes I was forgetting about that Vojira your right....I need anwsers!!!!Hypnotize

WolfMoonSky

....Hypnotize I need the anwers now! reading all those comments are driving me crazy!!

Thornbrake

Again, the postcard image is a representation of an old movie treatment from the mid-90s, which was a retelling of events in the comics, so I doubt this has any relevance to any future comics stories. Here's the storyboard that Wendy did for that particular treatment. You can see exactly what I mean by distilling events from the comics for a movie.

As for whether or not that's a shame, Vojira, I think it's a matter of opinion. I think doing an page by page recreation of the comics would be a terrible idea and result in a movie that tanks at the box office.

The good new is that there are several discussions on how closely to stick to the comics over in the "Thunder and Skyfire" section here.

spiritofthewater

I found this in the Heritage Comics Auctions catalogue, The WP RP collection.

When I post these pictures I try to make them as large as possible, and at the same time size them so I can see the whole picture on the screen, without scrolling. I have a 3:4 screen, but most of you probably have some widescreen format. If you can not see the whole picture on the screen, you can use the zoom function on the browser. Both Firefox and IE have a zoom function. You find it under view on the menu bar. I'm not familiar with other browsers.

Embala

Aaahhhhh ... the cover picture without all this distracting text. Marvellous! I love the close- up on Timmorn's expression and the elf woman. Timmorns hair fading into a burning sky looks fantastic.

LivietheLurker

For some insane reason I like the clear view of the fact that Timmorn only had three toes on each foot. For me that really drives home how different and unique he was. Weird, I know.

Thornbrake

Even though real live Earth wolves have four toes (plus a dewclaw), Wendy has always depicted Abodean wolves to have three toes. I'm guessing that's why Timmorn, being half wolf, only has three toes on his feet. You can see both a three-toed Abodean wolf AND Timmorn's three toes here.

spiritofthewater

from the 15th anniversary Fantasy with Teeth tour PressKit, Promo compendium, 1993:

I think I have posted one of them before, but the jumping Skywise should be a new one, or perhaps I should say "Skywise is showing his legs."

Trollbabe

Quote:

I'm guessing that's why Timmorn, being half wolf, only has three toes on his feet. You can see both a three-toed Abodean wolf AND Timmorn's three toes here.

Very important to fans who want to get that fursuit JUST right. Laugh

spiritofthewater

more from the Fantasy with Teeth promo compendium:

Cleopatra

OMG! I love theese picturesLuvlove

spiritofthewater

I have another one of that Cutter drawing, which is even better. I'll post it tomorrow.

spiritofthewater

spiritofthewater

Elfpop hasn't scanned this image for some reason. You can find it in several comic mags from the 90s, for instance in New Blood #33,#34 Two-Spear #2,#3, probably a few more. I'm not sure.

This image has also been used as a Christmas card:

This is an old ebay picture. I don't own this card, so unfortunately I couldn't post a larger picture.

faeriegirl

Roflmao AWESOME!!!

spiritofthewater

Cutter celebrates Christmas as we do in Norway, which means: We don't play with our food! Evilgrin

Embala

WOW - you were very busy, spirit!

Hhmmm ... cheerful, lively pictures of Skywise and Cutter - love the movement and emotions they are showing. O_O Cutter is cutting Elfquest in pieces!!! Never seen this one ... awesome!
Leetah looks almost too lovely ... is this a healer's version of a valentine card? Wink

Another take on elfin Christmas - simply hilarious! So Skywise is Santa claus and Cutter his elf? Wink Poor Nightrunner ... I fully understand his thoughts. Buuut .... thinking about it ... someone already has died for this: poor Rudolph Laugh

spiritofthewater

Currently at sale on ebay:

Alert, this is nude material!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wendy-Pini-Elfquest-Con-Pinup-Sketch-1991-/250801302597?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64ec2c45

LadyUsako

That's an awsome picture..... Happy

spiritofthewater

I first posted this drawing 3-4 hours after it was listed. The auction should have lasted one week, and the highest bid was $15. A few hours later the auction was canceled. I think the seller got an offer which was too good to decline, so I was lucky to get a copy. I check ebay at least two times every day in case things like this should happen. This may be the only copy of a totally naked Elfquest elf, at least drawn by Wendy.

I remember the seller told he had more Wendy Pini drawings, detached from a sketch book, and he would enlist them later. All of them were probably sold off-auction to same person who bought the nude Leetah.

Damn!!! There may have been more nude elves there.

I know there are several elfquest porn images around, but they are illegal since the copyright law has been violated. I have some of them, but I can not post them. I don't think I even should describe them.

NEXT PAGE