ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Serrin

Cleopatra

Wing's and Bethia's daughter. A really beautifull woman. But sometimes I wish we could have seen more of her.
I think she is a special woman, since she is part wolfrider and part sun-villager.

Then I actually think of this, a wild wolfrider look in her eyes...

[img:38bdd0caa4]http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/Xin-Jing/nb13-9jpg1.jpg[/img:38bdd0caa4]

... to this. A inocent sun-villager.

[img:38bdd0caa4]http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/Xin-Jing/nb13-10jpg1.jpg[/img:38bdd0caa4]

Embala

Quote:
Then I actually think of this, a wild wolfrider look in her eyes...

... to this. A inocent sun-villager.

Bad luck we've seen her only in New Blood by Barry Blair - a storyline not very famous for its pictures, character developement and story arc. Nevertheless - you have chosen some intriguing pics and situations!

Rainflower

I have a really problem with Serrin; she appears to have black hair, where her father Wing had blond and her mother Bethia had brown. Hey, what's going on? :?

Tenderfoot

Yeah, and she seems to have brown eyes, but Bethia has green and Wing has blue? :?

Apogee

Welllll.... she could have very dark brown hair.

The eyes... Normally on earth anyone in a bright hot environment like the desert will start to have darker eyes to adjust to the radiation. It's ... possible... that she's a pretty good example of quickly evolving elf genetics.

... It's also possible that Barry Blair utterly didn't know what he was doing when he made up a character purely for the purpose of having sex.

Tenderfoot

Then why did Kimo get brown eyes too? :|

Embala

If you desperately will make sense of it:

hair color and eye color is NOT necessarily passed on from parent to child - grandparents can have a big deal in it. And we know nothing about Bethia's parents.

Maiken

[quote:524c79e6ee="Apogee"]
... It's also possible that Barry Blair utterly didn't know what he was doing when he made up a character purely for the purpose of having sex.[/quote:524c79e6ee]
Grin

But yeah, the grandparents' haircolor might have something to do with it.

lunakat

the milkman...

Apogee

Seriously. But is the milkman a wolfrider, a villager or a strange elf from a far off land? HUH?

MissGillespie

honestly, I really don't think that you have to conclude "that the parents looks, so the child has to be like that". Even in our "world of one moon-human kind" there are mutations, or kids who don't look like their parents at all. (Why is Timmorns body-fur reddish, even though his father is shown in a greyish-brown) (Timmain doesn't count, she can deliberately choose her look Grin )

G0lden

Both of my sons very different from each other. My oldest has the olive complexion like me with medium brown hair and eyes, where my hair is a dark brown and my eyes are brown with a hint of gold in them. He looks more like his Uncle and Grandma than me. My youngest has a fair complexion, light brown hair (he was a towhead as a toddler), and grey eyes that actually change color from blue to grey to green. He looks somewhat like his father, but doesn't resemble me in anyway. The only thing both boys have in common with is my small nose. Other than that the only way I know they are mine is the fact I gave birth to them. :D

Cleopatra

Maybe it is so that she have the hair and the eyes from Bethia's parents?

But something made me a little confused.
[img:7f1ca1309d]http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/Xin-Jing/nb13-10jpg1jpg2jpg3.jpg[/img:7f1ca1309d]

How did they recognized? We never saw it, so when did they recognize?

Embala

Quote:
But something made me a little confused.

How did they recognized? We never saw it, so when did they recognize?

I'd say - the very moment she riped him off the cocoon!

Her search for him and his "knowing" was just one of this strange "pre-Recognition" behavior ... like Scouter showed, for example.

That's just my thoughts about it.

lunakat

[quote:8980655434="Apogee"]Seriously. But is the milkman a wolfrider, a villager or a strange elf from a far off land? HUH?[/quote:8980655434]

A villager. Judging by the hair.

Apogee

Is that why she's frightened? After all, she's the one with the KNIFE... o.0

Cleopatra

Or maybe they recognized before Dart wented to sleep in wrapestuff, but he was so sad after Shu-Shen was killed that he didn't want to join at first with Serrin? And maybe Serrin was scared to for a while?

Tenderfoot

Hrm, didn't know.

Maybe their colors mixed? That happened with Ember. Cutter's blond hair 'melted' with Leetah's reddish brown hair and produced red

CrimsonAnna

[quote:e2dc250cbb="Tenderfoot"]Hrm, didn't know.

Maybe their colors mixed? That happened with Ember. Cutter's blond hair 'melted' with Leetah's reddish brown hair and produced red[/quote:e2dc250cbb]

There are genes which are co-dominant, which produces a pink flower when the parents are white and red, or in the Ember case, red hair from an auburn mother and a pale blond father. Also remember that there could be several genes involved here. I learned that if a really dark-skinned man has a baby with a very pale woman, their baby has 16 potential skin colours.

mournsong

There is also the question if genes work with elves as they do for humans. Could very well be that light hair is dominant with them or something.

CrimsonAnna

[quote:e2dd6e216d="mournsong"]There is also the question if genes work with elves as they do for humans. Could very well be that light hair is dominant with them or something.[/quote:e2dd6e216d]

Good point-I was going there. It could also be that coulor A + coulor B produces coulor C when combined. This happens with guppies-body coulor blonde and body coulor blue can have white (not albinos) babies

stargazer

I really don't 'get' the whole pre-recognition thing that Serrin and Dart had. Dart had been in wrapstuff for quite a while so it's not as if Serrin had spent any time with him, and if you can pre-recognise an elf who isn't actually there with you, why aren't other elves doing it with absent elves? The Scouter/Tyleet thing was different, they saw each other every day. I mean, is there a distance factor, ie you can pre-recognise someone who's physical body is within a 5 mile radius for example even if you've never actually seen them?

Cleopatra

Or maybe they recognized in their dreams, like Brill and Sunstream did when he sent his spirit out and her spirit escaped when she was dreaming? Maybe something like that happened just that their souls meeted eachother in the dream and then recognizion happened between them?

jeb

Seems weird to me, too. But then the whole concept of recognition seems to be continually evolving. I've noticed a lot of people on the scroll have slightly different ideas about it.

In Scouter and Tyleet's case there did seem to some kind of pull even before the whole eyes-meet-eyes thing, which I don't think was ever shown before. Maybe as time goes on and the elves become less and less recognition is getting more demanding?

Maybe Cutter brought about the burning down of the forest because of an undeniable drive to get to the desert. :roll:

Trollbabe

[quote:859d3cb8ed="jeb"] Maybe as time goes on and the elves become less and less recognition is getting more demanding?[/quote:859d3cb8ed]

It's true, the frequency of Recognition has something to do with population. There were many Recognitions in Timmorn's time. Rainsong was induced to replenish the tribe by the loss of so many lives in Madcoil's attack.

jeb

Rainsong was induced? That explains her unusual fecundity. She was obviously an experiment by Rain to produce a hyper fertile elf. Probably after his attempt producing Pike he realized the key was in the female of the species.

Cleopatra

Just some drawings I made of Serrin

And what if she had been a jackwolfrider.

WolfMoonSky

Very VERY Beautifull!! Happy

Embala

It's great you brought your drawings to the character thread, too! A very pleasant re-meeting Happy

A lovely dancer ... a beautiful jackwolf rider What-If ... and the group picture is so full of live and joy. They are fitting well together - Love it, Cleopatra!

Cleopatra

The colored version of Serrin the Jack wolfrider.

Startear

My favorite picture from New Blood with Serrin.

WolfMoonSky

love that picture!

Startear

Quote:
Or maybe they recognized before Dart wented to sleep in wrapestuff, but he was so sad after Shu-Shen was killed that he didn't want to join at first with Serrin? And maybe Serrin was scared to for a while?

Serrin was what, a few months old when Dart went into wrapsuff? One shouldn't trust Blair and his logic, but still, I don't think even he would do that. :o

jeb

I can never see that name without thinking of sarin gas.

Vojira

Quote:

Serrin was what, a few months old when Dart went into wrapsuff? One shouldn't trust Blair and his logic, but still, I don't think even he would do that. :o

*Spits out drink and laughs her head off*
Good gods! Can the New Blood series get more awful?

Quote:

I can never see that name without thinking of sarin gas.

Same here.

Embala

I would love tho see her drawn by Wendy - or someone closer to her style, at least.

... though, in this early issues Blair was as true to EQ style as he was probably able to.

RedheadEmber

Just a thought; is it possible that Serrin was actually older than Dart, in terms of years lived when they recognized? It's a pretty longwinded chain-of-thoughts, but I'll try to break it down:

- Dart is an infant during the Madcoil Attack, which took place seven(?) years before EQ1. The main part of OQ takes place seven years after EQ1 (making Dart 14)

- SaBM takes place three years after OQ (Dart is 17)

- Venka is born during SaBM (making her 17 years younger than Dart)

- Venka is still fairly young when Kahvi leaves during KoBW, she does tell Rayek that "The Wolfriders finished by upbringing", Probably less than 100-years-old (Dart's age is Venka's+17)

- Let's assume Kahvi and Tyldak when directly to the Go-Back lodge after leaving the Thorny Mountain holt, not much travel time from there to Sorrow's End either (especially with the eagels)

- Judging by Bethia's condition Serrin is probably born very soon after HY#2

- The 'Go-Back Attack' seems to take place about a year after Kahvi's initial raid...

- Dart goes into wrapstuff not long after the attack (while Serrin is still a young child)

- The narration says that "a very long time" passes before Serrin, who's all grown up and has a lifemate, cuts Dart out of the wrapstuff. "A very long time." To me that could easily be 500 years. Or even 1000! Serrin and Talmah could've been lifemates for centuries when this little 'developement' occurs...

Embala

Long story short - it is not possible that Serrin is older ... it's probable. Wink

Once I tried to count the cuts in the calendar tree. I don't remember exactly but it would make Venka something between 20 and 30 years when Kahvi left. Always had the impression that Kahvi havn't lost time anyway.

RedheadEmber

The more I think about it, the more I like to imagine that Talmah played pretty much the same role in the Dart-Serrin recognition as Dewshine played in the Scouter-Tyleet recognition. "Go get him!"

lunakat

Is it just me, or does Dart seem to have a problem with commitment?

AnnieC

I... don't know xD it is true that the situation wasn't ideal...He was having a pretty bad time at the time he recognized...

Trollbabe

Dart is so wrapped up ini baby sister Chitter, but I wonder if he thinks much of his own family.

AnnieC

Dart is so wrapped up ini baby sister Chitter, but I wonder if he thinks much of his own family.

I would love to know if he thinks about them...and what does he think about them..

Embala

Just a thought; is it possible that Serrin was actually older than Dart, in terms of years lived when they recognized?
She was definitely older than Dart - much older! No matter how long it took for Dart to go in wrapstuff.

When I skimmed NB #13 today I realized a panel with Woodlock and Rainsong on a mural - and Wing counting on for them. That was before the Recognition scene.

Woodlock and Rainsong were not considered Elders in EQ#1 ... somewhat between 100 and 500 years old, I guess. Wolfriders can reach a lifespan of 2500 to 3500 years, as far as I remember. When these two were dead it must be hundreds of years - probably much more than thousand years since the disappearance of the Palace.

Startear

Possible spoiler!

So apparently both Serrin and Talmah is alive? At least according to the Who's Who, and someone on tumblr said that Moonshade mentioned Serrin's name?

RedheadEmber

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

They're probably referring to this scene:

Yes, Moonshade does seem to imply that Serrin is indeed still alive, but pretty much a stranger to Dart.

Elwing

I've spent most of yesterday trying to get trough New Blood, because I was confused about the background of this character, and Dart, and Windkin, and Kimo... But, just like back in the 90's it made me run for the hills. The less said about my opinion of it probably the better :o3 Is Bethia still alive?

Embala

@Elwing All you need to read to learn about Serrin, Dart's Recognition and their cub is NB #13: http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/NB/NB13/_New%20Blood%20-%2013_page=1#_1

Startear

Serrin only shows up in issue 13, and in few panels, so it is easy to take a quick look. :x

RedheadEmber

Elwing said: Is Bethia still alive?

I'd assume so; she's immortal after all, and doesn't quite strike me as one who'd willingly go into battle.