ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

What would you REALLY like to see?

MrsGrizzley

Ahhh, I figured out where Rain failed!!!!!

The only one who can successfully "force" Recognition is the female in the bond! Rayek tried to do it to Leetah at one point and she rebelled. That was probably what forced her system to protect itself and prevent *all* conception until natural Recognition caught her off guard.

Wendy herself said that Leetah wouldn't have ever concieved without Recognition's power.

As for the DnD analogy, that's all it was. It's not a hard and fast rule, and you have to take into account the fact that both Pike's parents were, themselves, born of Recognition, so the gene pool that made him was of a higher quality than the one that the Go-Backs are working with.

In fact, if the Go-Backs started Recognizing tomorrow, it'd take several generations for them to get the quality of gene pool that made Pike. *grin*

All I'm saying is that the Wolfriders, being born of Recognition, had inborn talents and instincts for warfare and survival that outclassed anything the Go-Backs came up with. There are Wolfriders born who are not "designed" for warfare. They don't have to be because non-combatants also serve a purpose in the survival of the tribe, since that is *also* a factor in Recognition. (The entire tribe is telepathic. Not all the stolen bandwidth is limited to a running singles page.)

Am I helping? or just making things clear as mud?

Mrs. Grizzley

ReyesLord

[quote:ad1c71ee99]All I'm saying is that the Wolfriders, being born of Recognition, had inborn talents and instincts for warfare and survival that outclassed anything the Go-Backs came up with. [/quote:ad1c71ee99]
Could this be a reason why the Go-Backs really don't have any/many magic users?

MrsGrizzley

Yup.

Generally speaking, cubs born outside of Recognition don't tend to use "magic" per se. There have been exceptions. There's one floating Go-Back in one panel somewhere and then there's Venka, but I think that's because Kahvi "forced" a mild Recognition when she decided that she wanted a cub from Rayek.

Actually, I think that Venka was born with incredible magic-potential, but it was in-the-raw, like unformed clay. It was the Winnowill even that shaped her magic into the sending form it took because that was the power she needed to survive.

If she hadn't had to rescue them from Winnie, she'd have probably turned Healer when they got to the Thorny Mountain Holt.

Pool encountered his purpose while still in the womb, that's when that power solidified.

Does this make sense?

Mrs. Grizzley

MrsGrizzley

I wish I could. I'm not even sure where to look. The best guess, just off the top of my head, would be in the Kahvi mini-series, but then I don't know just which segment to look in.

I know that the panels in question have him floating outside the Go-Back lodge and Kahvi telling him to get back on the ground, or something. I know she speaks to him about his use of his magic power.

I wish I knew more. *shrug*

Mrs. Grizzley

LivietheLurker

The boy, Trof, appears in Kahvi #4 and in the Kahvi Reader's Collection. I'm afraid I don't have a scanner, so I can't post any pics.

ChristinaRaibert0

I have! 'kay, that wasn't exactly a gliding Go-Back, but a Go-back who had the power to float objects. I'll post a pic here if someone would be so kind to remind me where I can upload it... I seem to recall that Mossgreen wasn't working anymore or something.

Jeppe

www.photobucket.com

nomad-human

Okay, I'm going to have to protest the direction that all of this is going! Not to step on anybody's toes or to offend anyone, because I don't want to do that, but some of you sound like you're saying that the Wolfriders are Aryan elves, and that's kind of freaking me out...A LOT!! Surprised

The way that I see is that each tribe save the Wolfriders embodies one of the facets about being an elf. The Gliders represent their magic, the Sunfolk represent their peacefulness and spirituality, and the Go-Backs represent the fiercness that not even millions of years of suppresion could hide forever.

The Wolfriders however seem to me to be jacks of all trades. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. All rolled up into a ball that due to the particular set of circumstances on Abode, they are better fit to survive the rigors they face. Put them on an elven wordball thingy and they'd be woefully inept. All the tribes, save the Go-Backs, breed by Recognition and Regognition gives them each a child fit to survive life in it's tribe. It's just that survival means different things to different tribes.

As for the Go-Backs, well think about it .....they're at war! They can't afford to wait for Recognition to repopulate their numbers. In every battle they lost somebody, they needed warm bodies somehow. For this, and this tribe only Recognition was a hinderance, not a help. Cultures that live in a constant state of war 24/7 can't survive with a low birthrate. They NEED to multiply like rabbits!

LivietheLurker

I agree with you, nomad-human. Another ting that seems to be forgotten is that while the Go-Backs don't breed with Recognition, and so don't draw from it's benefits. Well and good. That doesn't mean that other forms of evolution don't work. A Go-Back with a natural aptitude for battle will probably survive longer, and breed more. There's a chance that some of his/her offspring will inherite this talent, and he/she will have a better chance of survival and having more children with a gift for battle and so on, and so on. Add the fact that they have the ability to teach and learn, like all the other elves, and I'd be very surprised if the Go-Backs weren't very gifted warriors, Recognition or no.

ChristinaRaibert0

Argh... anything free? :?

Jeppe

You can make a free account at Photobucket! in the same box as "album login" it says -sign up free- (or maybe it's "for free"...)

MultiMEDEA

Quote:
nomad-human

Okay, I'm going to have to protest the direction that all of this is going! Not to step on anybody's toes or to offend anyone, because I don't want to do that, but some of you sound like you're saying that the Wolfriders are Aryan elves, and that's kind of freaking me out...A LOT!! Surprised

Thank you, nomad!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the supposed Recognition advantage is being blown out of proportion. Especially when there are multiple examples in canon to the contrary.

Brace

Its a very interesting debate you are having here.

I am too lazy to properly organize my opinion.
I agree with the person (too lazy to look up his/her name) who said that recognition seems to strengthen the elfin traits - magic, spirituality and such. Which doesnt make the children of recognition any less suited to survive on Abode, in my opinion. They are just not as much in touch with the world.

Think of Aurek, who is certainly a product of recognition and as close to the Firstcomers as a non-High One can possibly be.
When we encountered him in the orginal series he was the most passive, contemplative of all Gliders. He looked like a Sunfolk kid could best him in combat. Same with all Gliders who focussed their existence on emulating the ways of the High Ones (spirituality/magic/contemplation).
After the fall of Blue Moutain he learned to survive on his own, hunting and wielding weapons etc. Surely that alone would make him a fierce opponent for a Wolfrider or Go-Back - just like a Chosen Eight would have been. Add to this his magic (an ability bolstered by recognition) and I would think he can handle any elf out there. Or human. Or animal. Most situations, too.

My point: Through magic recognition can make an elf fit for the world of two moons. It counters the superiour physical strength and hardiness (?) that is the answer to the challenges of life for the Go-Backs or Wolfriders.
Pretty much the laws of evolution of Abode (physical power/resistance) vs. the evolution of the "real" elves (read: power of the mind -> magic).

Of course there is the thing with the magic-dimishing effect of Abode. It favours the evolution of non-magical elves - those born outside of recognition.

Hmmm... I am prattling a little here. :? Sorry.

ChristinaRaibert0

Okay, here they are, two pics I scanned of Trof - when he first tells Kahvi about his powers and later, when he floats the Egg out of Tyldak's claws. Hope it helps!

nomad-human

Just a question here.....but where is Khavi's nose in the above picture? Did it just not scan or did the artist actually leave it out?

scarlettdoll

blah! Darn not deleting!

scarlettdoll

Grin
She lost it in a fight with Tyldak! (you know that trick "I got your nose!")

ReyesLord

I love the look on Tyldak's face! Could the Go-Back boy be like the first Go-Back born of Recognition in years, which is why he has powers, or maybe Tyldak got caught up in one of those pre-war Go-Back parties? Grin

scarlettdoll

Don't you think that judging by the speed with which the Go-Backs went to that little "blood-pounding" party (and that the kids knew at once to leave) that they probably did that more than just that once? So Tyldak could've joined in any number of em. (for that matter, so could just about anyone!) Grin

LordDarkhan

[quote:6ea29cf746] (for that matter, so could just about anyone!)
[/quote:6ea29cf746]

I agree. I was welcomed to one. But go backs are not my cup of tea so I passed.

Windwalker

I'm old fashioned but whenever the series ends I'd like to see Cutter die a happy elf, having finally found the peace he always searched for.
Oh, hey I'm baq. Boot camp was a blast. Love the 9 mm pistol.

scarlettdoll

Hey! Welcome back WindWalker!!

LordDarkhan--yeah, i know what you mean. I was invited by a friend of a friend who had a real invitation (but they're pretty open, ya know) but I had other plans so, no go. Grin

krwordgazer

Yay, Hooray, Wind Walker's back! You've got a lot of catching up to do in the high school stories! Hoping for more clever ones from you! :)

And very glad you had a good time. Is that possible in boot camp? Surprised

NightAngel

I would have like a story about the daughter of Clearbrook and One-Eye.
Like there was one about Madcoil and how Bearclaw found his end..

Elyon

I totaly agree I would really like to see that story to :D

NightAngel

Ey, another dutch EQ fan :) great!

Elyon

Heheheh yes I already noticed that there where a lot of ducthies here

NightAngel

Are there more? =) Cool..

stardreamer

Quote:
NightAngel

Are there more? =) Cool..

yup.. me for example.. and Lostshard.. and some others.. :roll:

scarlettdoll

yeah, i think more than 50% of the posting members on this board are European.

scarlettdoll

really? Drat. Well, i'll hit it up next time Kindred! Grin

dartfan

Just diverting the conversation BACK on topic...

Quote:
Alana

Mender and Yun would continue their lovemating, because I think they're adorable together

Agreed

Quote:
LordDarkhan

A story on Dart and his relationship with Shu-shen, and then his new found relationship with Kimo.

Totally agreed!!

Quote:
Livinia

Dart and Newstar's Sun village childhood compare and contrast. Come on, it might not have been the same for both of them considering one child had both parents with them while the other did not.

Agreed (once and for all proving that they were never ever ever lovemates)

Quote:
Blackbird

I would really like to see Bowki, drawed by Wendy and having a life with the Wolfriders.

Agreed!

Scouter would die (painfully) or had died during the Troll War

The whole of Searcher and the Sword would be a bad "Dallas/Dynasty"-type dream sequence (shapeshifting Kimo... PAH!)

A better/longer story involving Dart's Recognised mate, Serrin, and his son Bowki

No Barry Blair.... EVER!

More Wendy-work on the Kahvi/Tyldak relationship

Pool and Sust to become lovemates

Skywise died back in Book 2 when he was supposed to

Dart and Tyleet had actually Recognised (but Dart still preferred boys :P)

The Original Wave Dancers were still "canon" and the New Cr@ptastic Wave Dancers had never ever happened (except maybe Spine)

ChristinaRaibert0

Quote:
dartfan

The Original Wave Dancers were still "canon" and the New Cr@ptastic Wave Dancers had never ever happened (except maybe Spine)

AND Brill... Spine would be so sad without his Limpet :D (on this matter... Brill and Spine would have fit in the OWD tribe so well... can't you picture them with fish-tails? Spine versus Hyfus... Surprised)

Blackbird

Quote:
dartfan

A better/longer story involving Dart's Recognised mate, Serrin, and his son Bowki

No Barry Blair.... EVER!

Skywise died back in Book 2 when he was supposed to

Dart and Tyleet had actually Recognised (but Dart still preferred boys :P)

Yes, Serrin by Wendy.

No Blair :x

No Skywise :D

And YES!! No Tyleet/Scouter/Dewshine treesome :D

Zebula77

Umm, that's threemating, dear. :twisted:

I think you've got threesomes on your mind - and not the good ones, hehe.:mrgreen:

But I do agree - Dewshine deserves more I think.

ChristinaRaibert0

Lol, I just had a thought - what if Dewshine recognized Aurek?? Now she'd be a magnet for Gliders or what? Grin

LordDarkhan

[quote:6249f30587]The Original Wave Dancers were still "canon" and the New Cr@ptastic Wave Dancers had never ever happened (except maybe Spine)[/quote:6249f30587]

Here, Here... I agree with you here Dartfan :D

MaxvonBek

I would like to see a new EQ villain. Who do I want to see? Sunstream.
Why you may ask? Well, he's been seen in preserver webbing having the entire Scroll shown to him, and quite frankly, I think it's going to drive him insane (albeit temporarily). My reasoning for this is simple: Sunstream is going to be the next EQ main hero, and for Wendy and Richard to give him some depth, I believe he will need to "Fall" before he can rise to the heights that have been promised to him - seeing him simply achieve what has been infered all along would be boring! Some may not agree with me on this, but it would add an interesting plot twist: Cutter's son becomes the major antagonist - how would our beloved Wolfrider Chief deal with this?

KingJohnny

That's a great idea.

ChristinaRaibert0

Sounds interesting! And Brill may eventually lead him back to the light (lol this reminds me so much of Star Wars, Anakin and Padme... Sunstream as Darth Vader... Spine as Obi-Wan? :D No wait, he dies... I don't want Spine to die. Maybe Skimback as Obi-Wan, he's Brill's ex, he owes her to take care of her children... which makes me think... Luke and Leia are twins... so are Brill and Sunstream... think what if they too had twin children? Now that'd be a fun crossover idea!!)

KingJohnny

Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a ton of other stories. It's still a great idea, if done right. Any story that has been copied can still be great if there is some originality involved, logical motives behind the characters and if it doesn't seem to be done, just to be done.

For example, the Kahvi story could've been better. I think we could've all accepted the story more if the circumstances were a little different. Why does she have to have Wolfrider blood? There's nothing that suggests she must have it. I mean, why does she have to be mortal. I think more could've been expanded on.

I wouldn't want him to be portrayed as the bad guy, though. I would like to see him have a different opinion, that the other elves are against, but he feels is necessary to go forward with and will fight them if he has to. Wait, this sounds like Rayek :D

But still, if given a different objective instead of wiping out everyone, I think this story could still work and not be seen as a copy of KotBW.

krwordgazer

Hey! What's wrong with Skywise? Surprised :)

I agree that Sunstream needs to go through some pretty major trials/depths before he rises to the heights he's meant to achieve, but I don't envision a Winnowill-like fall for him. Or even a Rayek-like one. I can see him making some major mistakes, possibly. Having to go through some excruciating difficulties, at least. Otherwise, as you guys said, it would be too easy/boring. But becoming a villain? I doubt it. Leetah and Cutter raised him too well.

ChristinaRaibert0

Maybe he'd be driven to do something foolish if he felt that'd be the best for his folk. Or, even more, if something happens to Savah or Ember. Their loss would hurt him deeply, and only the love of Brill and his parents could help him back to reason.

dreamwalker

I would just like to see a better/completed story of Kahvi, such as her complete orgins, the whole connection to Tier, and yes I am one of those that does not believe she was killed. She has to have a come back, but most of the "futuristic" EQ's are flat, so I do not think I would want it set in current times. Although Kahvi as an renegade outlaw in the 1800's as the US West was being settled, might not be bad. A whole thing with she would blend in with the cowboys and most native americans of the time. Hmmm...Kahvi and Jesse James or Quantum Parker....

ChristinaRaibert0

Or Wyatt Earp Grin

ElfEmber

I'd love to see Cutter decide to become immortal and stay with Leetah forever. Maybe years from now, when Ember has been chief for a while, she could be chief of the whole tribe and Cutter could go off with Leetah. I just can't imagine Leetah living her life without him!

Also I'd love to see Pike recognize someone, maybe Shenshen! Grin

PCoquelin

Quote:
Max von Bek

I would like to see a new EQ villain. Who do I want to see? Sunstream.
Why you may ask? Well, he's been seen in preserver webbing having the entire Scroll shown to him, and quite frankly, I think it's going to drive him insane (albeit temporarily). My reasoning for this is simple: Sunstream is going to be the next EQ main hero, and for Wendy and Richard to give him some depth, I believe he will need to "Fall" before he can rise to the heights that have been promised to him - seeing him simply achieve what has been infered all along would be boring! Some may not agree with me on this, but it would add an interesting plot twist: Cutter's son becomes the major antagonist - how would our beloved Wolfrider Chief deal with this?

Well, well, Max, I jut think you may be proven right in a quite different way than all imagine... Not the "Fall then rise" (or the other way 'round) classical approach, but just NEW notions applied to the Wolfriders, through his cocooned time -and deep contact with the Palace- and through his daring sister. Just remember how Cutter was afraid, already, to lose "the Way". Maybe Ember crossed a personal line with the Lehrigen experience, but not enough not to let "cloud-head" interfere A LOT, for instance towards the humans (or in favor of another - new - approach up to what Savah once put as "..or we choose to become -at last- a true people of this world").

Dig, dig...

Blackbird

Right now, before issue #6 comes out, and I get some answers, and just based on the front cover, I want Freetouch and Mender to recognize :D
I like the idea, the two freespirited characters, and the idea of Strongbow&Moonshade, and Woodlock&Rainsongs cubs <3