ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Owwwwwwl! Quiet storyteller & forcaster of weather

Wrapstuff

He might be a very minor character, but Owl, of the Wolfrider's distant past, is one of my favorite characters. I first heard of him in one of the Elfquest BOTC Anthologies and was surprised to find he was an ancestor of Longbranch/Longreach and One-Eye and twin to Graywolf.

IT didn't matter to me that it wasn't from the comics. I love the different ways of storytelling and how each brings out the magic in Elfquest, whether it's comics or prose, in its own way.

Owl was quiet spoken and had no wolf blood at all, and he was the Wolfrider's storyteller while they still had Firstborn and full-blooded elves. He could also forecast the weather!

Owl might have had black, tufted hair, but I've never seen a picture of him.

Embala

After I discovered this guy in BotC #3 I'm convinced that he is supposed to be Owl ... at least how this artist imagined the "unlikely" twins. He is clearly a much more elf-like version of the "wolf boy"

< Owl - Graywolf >

No idea how far this matches the description given in the prose stories. Considering other experiances how much the comic "shortcuts" have messed up the original stories it might be rather off.

jeb

When I first looked at this, I thought Owl was holding a spatula. Nuh_uh

Wrapstuff

Those pictures give me chills. I never considered Owl and Graywolf might be identical twins, one immortal and the other with too much wolf blood.

This is a story likely to never be told.

I can't remember how Owl could forecast the weather. He was never described as having any magic whatsoever.

I wonder what Owl thought of his twin.

Embala

There is no hint that Owl and Graywolf were close like Suntop and Ember. He might have been scared of his feral mirror.

Here is another good shot of Owl.

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

Vojira

Quote:

There is no hint that Owl and Graywolf were close like Suntop and Ember. He might have been scared of his feral mirror.

Hmm, I've always thought he felt some disdain towards him. At least that's the notion I got from his expressions in some of panels he's in.

Wrapstuff

Quote:

Hmm, I've always thought he felt some disdain towards him. At least that's the notion I got from his expressions in some of panels he's in.

Could be. The immortal Rellah ridiculed Graywolf.... but she had several children with Owl! He was also the songkeeper/storyteller. A very important position that Graywolf did not share.

Maybe it was somewhere in the middle and changed over time. I like that. His twin brother might have been an enigma to him--the others could barely comprehend Graywolf's sending as "garbled" being more wolf than elf. He and Graywolf would have been different from any other elves, looking essentially identical to each other except for the wolfblood and being born at the same time. I had a sad thought... maybe Rellah poisoned his mind to his own twin? Unhappy

Vojira

I think Owl knew precisely what Graywolf was, and could have been repulsed by it or been unable to reconcile with it.

I mean, Graywolf, in the Anthologies said the old ones, the High Ones (and probably the purebloods and the more elf-blooded members) didn't belong in the world.

Heck, I think he even says Two-Spear might be nicer towards them (old ones/the High Ones/ purebloods/elf-blooded members) if somebody told him they've basically been doomed from the start and are just waiting to die. I'd have issues with him if I was his sister and that was his viewpoint.

Quote:

I had a sad thought... maybe Rellah poisoned his mind to his own twin? Unhappy

I think he could think for himself and could have had his own opinions.

Wrapstuff

I only said that as Rellah seems awfully overbearing.

Vojira

She is.
Don't take anything I say as an attack or the like. I just tend to say these things like I see them.Smile
(That, and I spent a lot of time thinking about the earlier elves. )

Wrapstuff

I was thinking about Owl and Graywolf, and how they were, or at least Graywolf was considered, an accident of birth. Do you think it's possible they were born outside of Recognition? The severe and complete imbalance of wolf-blood between the identical twins, and the fact they were born together like the wolves had their cubs, could have been considered a serious turn toward the wlf-blood being overtaken by the wolf-blood, even in a single instance of throwback? (at least by Rellah and those who thought as she did) Maybe this belongs in Graywolf's thread.

RedheadEmber

(Okay, this could probably have gone to Graywolf's thread as well, but this was the one I came upon first...)

Apparently they're supposed to have been twins, but that wouldn't really fit the never before had twins been born to either tribe line from OQ6. Isn't it possible that they were simply regular brothers, born very close? As in, within ten years from each other; would be as good as twins for the elves.

MultiFacets

We could always say the Wolfriders simply forgot Owl and Greywolf were twins, even with dreamberry assistance. I mean, it was a long, long, long time from when they lived and died to when Suntop and Ember were born.