ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The Hunt

Wrapstuff

The hunt isn't really one character, but they are distinct enough for a thread all their own. I wasn't sure what a hunt was exactly. Only that it was a group, more wolf than elf, that lived alongside the Wolfriders and Firstborn and knew that "wolf-way was best." That they apparently had a different number of digits and especially the Firstborn would watch for this at birth.

As far as I can tell, the hunt were the descendants of Timmorn who bred between each other and back to wolves. The fascinating progenitors of the Wolfrider wolves.

Embala

I remember three members of "The Hunt" by name:
Threetoe, the Father
Threetoe, the Son
and Rustruff, his mate
Seems to hint a slightly different build.

This is Threetoe, the Son(?) how he is pictured in BotC #1

jeb

This version of Threetoe always annoys me. At this time, the elves are supposed to be barely surviving, and the hunt are descending back into animals. Where does he get these clothes? Especially the belt. It seems too modern and incongruous.

Embala

That's what bugged me too. These barely surviving elves and "wild" wolflings are stuffed much better as their well settled and comparably civilized descendants.

Wrapstuff

Oh wow. That's a hunt? It's creepy considering the Wolfrider wolves owe their existence to him.

His clothes are way too civilized, and I thought they were supposed to have some physical differences from the less wolf-blooded elves.

Weren't the elves completely dependent on the hunt at that point too?

Embala

When Threetoe is "the beginning" of the Hunt then Blackfell is "the end" of the developement.

The wolves that are coming with him here are not from the Wolfrider pack ... maybe they are Hunt, too.

Wrapstuff

Blackfell as Threetoe's final descendant? Eerie.

What happened to the other Wolfrider wolves than Blackfell in that picture?

Embala

The other wolves in this picture were not from the Wolfriders' pack. They left with Blackfell and we never heard of them again.

In case those far descendants of the Hunt were breeding with other wolves through the 10000 years passing the elf blood might have become so deluted that they developed back into normal wolves and the Hunt has vanished.

When they were inbreeding ... well, there could have been "throwbacks" to the elfin side - resulting in a special breed of intelligent, thinking wolves. There could even be throwbacks in shape ... creating what we would consider as Werewolves.

What? It's allowed to speculate! Wink

Wrapstuff

A throwback that looks more like Timmorn?

Interesting!

Vojira

Quote:

Oh wow. That's a hunt? It's creepy considering the Wolfrider wolves owe their existence to him.

His clothes are way too civilized, and I thought they were supposed to have some physical differences from the less wolf-blooded elves.

Jeb made comic where the Hunt show up and they're more realistic.
Jeb's comic

Embala

Jeb's comic is awesome. I fully agree - that's how The Hunt should look!

LINK is fixed!

JRoseberry

I have always wondered if any of the hunts decedents survived, and what they would look like now.

Thornbrake

Embala said: When Threetoe is "the beginning" of the Hunt then Blackfell is "the end" of the developement.

What a fascinating idea!

Leanan

Vojira said: Jeb made comic where the Hunt show up and they're more realistic.
Jeb's comic

Anyone got a working link to the comic?

Embala

Well, @Rob says Google search works well enough. How about googling?

Here you go, @Leanan
http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/7243/comic-pages-coming-of-age

Leanan

Thank you! I agree with jeb, I like his her version of the Hunt better too.

Edit: sorry, genderconfused once again.

Embala

HER version ^^ ... and I wholeheartily agree!