ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Osek and Mekda ... enslaved all their life :(

Embala

Ekuar, Osek and Mekda were children of the High Mountain Elves, a tribe dwelling near the place where the Palace fell.

Spirited, adventurous and self-confident they decided to search for the palace. They actually reached the home of the High Ones and used their rockshaping magic to enter ... only to find it occupied by Trolls.

They were captured, enslaved, abused and tortured ... and only death could free Osek and Mekda from their grim fate.

Trollbabe

Way back when Ekuar was introduced, I imagined he and his fellows were captured as prepubescent children. I also thought it strange that a tribe would have three Elves born in the same generation, with the same specialty, even with the palace nearby. What happened to the rest of their tribe? The three were immortals, but were any of their relatives wolf-blooded?

When I wrote my most recent "Trolls Versus Elves" post, I wondered about Mekda. She was mutilated more than the two boys. She was probably blinded, unless she lost her vision to disease or insanity.

Perhaps she was more strong-willed, and therefore more abused. Guttlekraw may have targeted her because she was female.

If one or the other Troll king had possession of rockshaper Elves of the opposite sex, wouldn't it make sense to either allow or force them to breed, creating more rockshapers?

When and why was Mekda isolated from the boys? Was it on purpose, or an accident of war?

Why was Two-Edge's father sent out to look for more rockshapers, when each king had at least one?

Embala

Way back when Ekuar was introduced, I imagined he and his fellows were captured as prepubescent children.
I agree - compared to the impression we got in the Original Quest the three are surprisingly grown up. I have two possible explanations:

1. The "it's not done by Wendy" effect - and the Tales of Love and Loss have more serious inconsistencies as the age of the characters.

2. These elves are obviously immortals. I remember reading about Zahran (in the BotC novel "Colors") that pureblooded elves grew up slower, at least mentally and emotionally, and were considered to be younglings much longer as their wolfblooded agemates. When I remember right it was said Zarhan was about 100 years old - but the "same age" as much later born Rahnee considering maturity.
For me it makes sense - so I'm going with it.

I also thought it strange that a tribe would have three Elves born in the same generation, with the same specialty, even with the palace nearby.
Following ideas:
1. The influence of the Palace - in case a high reproduction rate was common for this tribe.
2. They had lost a valid number of tribemates in an accident or such and Recognition made surte to refill the numbers. The Wolfriders had a similar baby boom around the Madcoil incident.
3. Rockshaping was (almost) as common in this tribe as gliding was for the Gliders.
4. When my thought about the "extended youth" of pureblooded elves is right there can be decades between the single births.

What happened to the rest of their tribe? The three were immortals, but were any of their relatives wolf-blooded?
It's assumed the the survivors of the Ice Elves met the Two-Spear's splinter tribe at some point. The tribes merged and became the ancestors of the Go-Backs.

When I wrote my most recent "Trolls Versus Elves" post, I wondered about Mekda. She was mutilated more than the two boys. She was probably blinded, unless she lost her vision to disease or insanity.

Perhaps she was more strong-willed, and therefore more abused. Guttlekraw may have targeted her because she was female.
I don't have an good idea why Mekda was mutilated worse. It can be each of the reasons you suggested. Okay, that's my 2 cents:

As I answered in the other thread, Mekda was kept back in the north to serve a group of Guttlecraw's Trolls who stayed back to hold the fort when the rest of the tribe wandered south.
1. She had to take all the bad temper, cruelty born of boredom and sadism of these Trolls alone.
2. She was alone - she might have been desperate enough to rebel more, like you suppose, and was punished more often.
3. Or - she was simply not good or fast enough. The Trolls seemed to handle subordination and breakdown the same way.

If one or the other Troll king had possession of rockshaper Elves of the opposite sex, wouldn't it make sense to either allow or force them to breed, creating more rockshapers?
Who says they have not tried?

But when there is any truth in the saying "Recognition knows!" it would know better than creating another enslaved elf.

When and why was Mekda isolated from the boys? Was it on purpose, or an accident of war?
Mekda was kept back in the north to serve a group of Guttlecraw's Trolls who stayed back to hold the fort when the rest of the tribe wandered south.

Why was Two-Edge's father sent out to look for more rockshapers, when each king had at least one?
Easy for me:
1. More rockshapers = faster (and easier) work = more tunnels = more ore = more gold and gemstone.
2. Those Troll did not USE the rockshapers - they USED them UP. Greymung ordered replacements!

Vojira

Allow? Why would they give them any chance of happiness? They were tools to them. Tools they didn't treat very well. Tools they were likely told to abuse at any chance they got.
To allow them sex or the like would mean acknowledging they were living beings with needs and free will and the like. And free or strong wills is last thing 'tools' need, I'd think.
The trolls tortured, mutilated to destroy the rockshapers 'self', make them mindless, make them drones that did as they were told. They're unlikely to have given them proper food.
I doubt Mekda would been able to carry a child to term, because of how badly she was treated. And I don't think they even try and treat her better.

I think the notion of trolls actively forcing some kind ofrapeonto another beings or the imagery of them torturing elf children,mutilating small babies by cutting off their limbs and then burning their wounds to stop the bleeding might have made them more monstrous than the Abode humans and would likely have been disastrous for any and all troll's reputation.

When I wrote my most recent "Trolls Versus Elves" post, I wondered about Mekda.  She was mutilated more than the two boys.  
Perhaps she was more strong-willed, and therefore more abused. 

I think they tortured and mutilated her because they were sadistic monsters who'd feel big and strong by hurting beings that are absolutely defenseless. They have a bit in common with Winnowill on that area, it seems.

Heather

Rockshapers
One thing I have always wondered is what Mekda and Osek would look like if drawn by Wendy. We haven't (at least to my recollection) seen detailed pictures of them drawn by her. Wendy's current take on Sust and Pool, are quite different from what we have seen in the past. So I have to wonder how she would draw them.

Thornbrake

Heather said: One thing I have always wondered is what Mekda and Osek would look like if drawn by Wendy. We haven't (at least to my recollection) seen detailed pictures of them drawn by her. Wendy's current take on Sust and Pool, are quite different from what we have seen in the past. So I have to wonder how she would draw them.

That WOULD be awesome (although I think Wendy's Pool is pretty much the same as Lorraine Reyes' and Brandon McKinney's versions, it's Sust that is different from how Reyes' portrayed him, which was much more Pike-like).

Heather

Thornbrake said: That WOULD be awesome (although I think Wendy's Pool is pretty much the same as Lorraine Reyes' and Brandon McKinney's versions, it's Sust that is different from how Reyes' portrayed him, which was much more Pike-like).

You can see a bit more of One-Eye in Wendy's version of Pool now. Which I really love.

Thornbrake

Heather said: You can see a bit more of One-Eye in Wendy's version of Pool now. Which I really love.

TOTALLY

Trollbabe

The innocent mistake that the rockshapers made, was forming a trio with one specialty. Had one been a healer, and another able to levitate all three, they would have been able to escape. They also went off without an elder, which wasn't such a great idea. I'm not blaming the victims, though. Any Troll who exploits Elfin magic, with neither consent nor compensation, is sealing his own doom.