ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Talen, the translator

Embala

... must admit that I don't know much about this guy.

Talen was a contemporary of Preypacer and Wolfriders (anyone knows?).

He seemed to be closer to Skyfire and Rellah, not showing in hunting scenes and the gatherings when Swift-Spear is speaking up. He is clearly taller as his chief, about the size of a Human - by far not near a High One, though. At least that's what I got from BoTC #3 and #4.

And he seemed to be the one who knows the human language best. He was the guy who talked to the Humans when Two-Spear sent them off before their village was burnt down.

Startear

In the BoTC anthologies, though an unreliable source as they are mostly deemed non-canon, but there was never said which generation he was in, though he lived in Rahnee's time.

I kind of wonder where he picked up human speech. Two-Spear hardly seems like the type to ask him to do this. Maybe Preypacer did?

As for his personality, he seems to be rather moody. Often times he was calmer than Rellah. He didn't take side, and often told the other High One to knock it off. But in the story about the newborn children who died in the womb just before they were born, he was very, very agitated. And for once he was the one who made the Wolfriders angry and offended.

Embala

Thank you for adding the bits and pieces to his personality, Startear - as few as it is it makes him more alive!

Zinegirl

I read on http://www.angelfire.com/comics/eqzjahra/ that he and Windwhisper had two children: Moonfire and Darkwind.

Embala

Thanks for the additional information, Zinegirl! :D

Mkal

on the left is my interpretation of Talen.

20140323_214755

Mkal

Talen and Rellah were lovemates. He is a first born elf that is old enough to remember Timmain before she became a wolf.

Embala

Your drawing of Talen is fab, Mkal and so welcome here!

From the comics I could guess that Talen and Rellah are close but I didn't know. With these bits of information collected here he becomes so much more alive!

Mkal

TALEN

Stormchaser

I just noticed something. Talen is Dutch for Languages.

Mkal

@Stormchaser And Skywise's soulname, 'Fahr', is German for Travel

Embala

Stormchaser said: Talen is Dutch for Languages.
*chuckles* ... maybe I wasn't so far from truth calling him a translator ;)

Stormchaser

@Mkal I didn't know that one.

And Cutters soulname Tam means tame in Dutch.

Mkal

@Embala LOL!