ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Eldolil: The Last of the Pure Elves

Shara

I have just read the BoTC #17 - Howl for Eldolil and something bother me...

How Eldolil can be soo old (their body I mean).
If he was a full elve, I was not suposed to be immortal ??

MrsGrizzley

Elven physical age is emotionally effected.

That's the simple answer, really. It has to do with this whole long convoluted argument having to do with how Barry Blair drew Suntop and the fact that Elfquest fans are smarter than average fans so we rationalize things like this.

Eldolil was emotionally tired and old. He'd had enough. All the years, all the struggles, wore him out physically until he looked *old*. Finally it was too much and he died.

At least, i think he did. Been a while since I read that one. BoTC is one of the series I still don't have all the issues for.

Mrs. Grizzley

Shara

Quote:
MrsGrizzley

Elven physical age is emotionally effected.

That's the simple answer, really. It has to do with this whole long convoluted argument having to do with how Barry Blair drew Suntop and the fact that Elfquest fans are smarter than average fans so we rationalize things like this.

Eldolil was emotionally tired and old. He'd had enough. All the years, all the struggles, wore him out physically until he looked *old*. Finally it was too much and he died.

At least, i think he did. Been a while since I read that one. BoTC is one of the series I still don't have all the issues for.

Mrs. Grizzley

I didn't realise that before, but this is logic.

Thanks

Mirr

This does make me wonder.. some classmate told me of a person in our Earthly world who believed as long as he ate just about the nutrition he needed, his intestines and so would not be worn out (and live a bit better and longer, how I understod his reasonsings). Yet with our current human way of living and soap operas and so.. has the emotional stress not in fact grown worse and worse in human society, in contrast to generally improved nutritional aspects?

If I remember correctly: researchers apparently recently found it's some flaws in the mitochondries themselves, ie the powerplant of the cell, that is to blame for aging, than for all cells being worn out which is what they suspected first. So seems for humans it is mostly physical when all comes around to aging. But if one was to live for say 200 years after having tweaked with the mitochondries, I wonder what that would do to the human brain. Would one go crazy?

There has existed humans who seemed capable of remembering literally everything that took place around them, down to the tiniest details. The problem was however due to the over-associations, just by reading a text, the information flow got so intense for them it must have been really annoying and overwhelming to say the least. And the memory genius I heard about, apparently killed himself in the end...
As the average person do filter out so much from the information flow around them, we just don't have the time or pay any attention to certain details. So what would a really increased timespan of memories that are filterered and processed do to our human brains? Or have we reached an age peak soon due to physical constraints, even if/after science tweaks with our genetical boundries?

Anyhow, whether we live to see us humans become older and possibly wiser like certain elves, remains the be seen. Yet the physique of EQ elves must be very nifty, for them to remember so much taking place and coping with this, (almosty) seemingly endless life.. but there's of course the spirit/immortality issue to ponder there.. when the physical body dies, they appear to have simply regressed into a non-physical form. But there really is no such thing as reincarnation in the EQ world? Simply a form of seances to contact spirits? Do they simply flow around or is there some higher spiritual astral plane of some sort?

ReyesLord

[quote:6f3593baba]How Eldolil can be soo old (their body I mean).
If he was a full elve, I was not suposed to be immortal ??[/quote:6f3593baba]
Well, Savah's a full elf and she looks old. For that matter, so did Voll and he's like, what, second generation full elf? Not to mention Ekuar. So I guess elves eventually do change on the outside according to how long they've lived.

krwordgazer

I think elf "aging" has a lot to do with exposure to the elements, etc. The skin wrinkles, but the body itself is just as young and healthy as ever. Which is why Voll looked old, but the others, who lived all their lives in Blue Mountain, didn't look old no matter how old they were.

MrsGrizzley

Also stress.

It is now scientifically proven that stress causes cellular damage that we associate with aging. The more stress, the faster we age.

This is why kids add years to your age and why a young and vibrant Pres. exists the office with completely white hair. (I've known that Pres.'s age quick for years, just wasn't sure of the reasons)

Also, we've known that the elfin form of menopause is mental, not physical, so why shouldn't aging be similarly controlled?

Mrs. Grizzley

Allura

There didn't seem to be a thread for him. Which is a shame, because I think he's a very interesting character, even though we know very little about him. How would it feel being the only pure blood elf left in the Wolfrider tribe?

Here's to Eldolil.

Embala

I thought about making a thread for him ... now he has one Smile

He must have felt rather lonesome ... like an alien among his "tribemates". I doubt that the artist has done right showing him like a very aged Human ... but he has aged for sure. Like Voll ... and probably more, because life was much harder and there was not always a matured healer available when life left its scars.
And his body will have reflected how old and tired his mind has become.

Is it just my impression or had he actually the height of a High One?

Allura

I seem to remember the old thread having a debate as to when he was actually born. I don't think it ever says. Only hint is that he says on this page that he's about three thousand years old.

Embala

This would actually be YOUNG OMG!! That's about the life span a wolfblooded elf can reach. Life must have worn out him badly.

Allura

Well, it might have been a summary. Hard to say on that little information. Plus, remember, things were harder on the Wolfriders back then. Especially with the tribe split most of the time between the pure blooded and the wolf blooded. Makes me wonder which side he took. Imagine if he was one of the stuck up 'purebloods are better' type, and then his fellow high-nosed purebloods died off one by one. Was he bitter at first? How long had he been the last pureblood? His is a story I would love to know more about.

Embala

Hhm ... Eldolil says that he wouldn't have revealed his last shelter to anyone else but Oakroot (Tanner). And Tanner is supposed to be very much on the elfin side (in contrary to Two-Spear, who was too much on the wolfish side).

He need not have been high-nosed - but the Wolfriders probably were a riddle for him, especially the more feral ones. And frightening to some degree. I guess he preferred to be for himself most of the time - and this can be considered as high-nosed.

Even when he was born not more than 3000 years ago he would have outlived three or four chiefs (Freefoot, Skyfire, Two-Spear, Preypacer).

He started in a time where Purebloods were considered to be weak and useless eaters by most of the true Wolfriders. And he ended in a time where he míght have been respected as a councellor, but being looked at as a relict and a legendary figure.

No good frame conditions to be well integrated in the tribe in either case. And then he sees those who are like him vanish - one by one. He must have felt very lonesome in the end.

Trollbabe

Embala said
... I guess he preferred to be for himself most of the time - and this can be considered as high-nosed....No good frame conditions to be well integrated in the tribe in either case. And then he sees those who are like him vanish - one by one. He must have felt very lonesome in the end.

I can empathise with this character, because I've see members of the "Great Generation" in their twilight years, whose values are dismissed and whose contributions are ignore.

Embala

A comparably flattering picture of aged Eldolil ...

... I still say the artist made him age too Human like.

Trollbabe

The disadvantage of being full-blooded early Elf, is that he can't bond or ride with the wolves. It would be like being without a car or transit system in today's society.

Embala

Eeeeek! Havn't explicitly thought of this ... not with all the consequences. Worse - considering the closeness of wolfrider and bondwolf a pureblood must be like a disabled one without transit system! Unhappy

Thornbrake

I think a lot of this had to do with the "looseness" of some of the Blood of Ten Chiefs stories, both the prose versions and the comics adaptations. Artist Delfin Barral chose a very human-looking version of old age, which I never thought quite fit for an elf physically and spiritually worn down by the world.

Eldolil

Embala

Sounds familiar ;)

Embala said: A comparably flattering picture of aged Eldolil ...

... I still say the artist made him age too Human like.

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/comment/552905#Form_Comment

Thornbrake

Embala said: Sounds familiar ;)

Hey, great minds!! ;-)

Rob

These eldolil threads look like a good candidate for merging

Thornbrake

@Rob, to what, a character thread? Does such an obscure character even have one?

Embala

YES, Eldolil has a character thread, asy to find out by clicking the link above.

How IMPORTANT does a character need to be to qualify for his/her own thread? And who will judge?
There were very lively character discussions in the original Scroll about characters who were mentioned just once - like Kimo's (by then) unnamed father and Clearbrook's long-lost daughter.

Thornbrake

Embala said: How IMPORTANT does a character need to be to qualify for his/her own thread? And who will judge?
There were very lively character discussions in the original Scroll about characters who were mentioned just once - like Kimo's (by then) unnamed father and Clearbrook's long-lost daughter.

I think any character is fair game for his or her (or its!) own thread. The question is, what's the best to way in this latest incarnation of the forum to manage the discussions so we don't have 5 similar threads about one character? This thread was obviously started a while ago and wasn't tagged to the characters section. It might've even been created before we started the character threads.

@Embala, as one of the few who've stuck with the forums since the beginning, can you share your experience with this? What's your advice on how to keep things streamlined with character threads?

Rob

He's not described as wrinkled like that in the prose story, as I recall, but using words like "bloodless" and "fleshless". He was twice as tall as the others, and had to insist that Oakroot/Tanner look him in the eye.

So I always imaged Eldolil as being this pale, translucent figure immune to decay but obviously moribund -- age as a psychosomatic sickness, shiny and uncanny and alien, taking him closer to the firstcomers' appearance, but in all the wrong ways.

eldolil

Thornbrake

Thanks for giving me nightmares tonight, @Rob! ;-)

Rob

Just imagine him dancing with Christopher Walken I'm not helping am i

Thornbrake

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Heather

@Rob, I love this! Scary and at the same time so perfect. You can see why humans would be afraid of creatures that looked like this!

Embala

@Rob This Eldolil I's buy anytime!
He looks aged. Not of this world anymore ... never been. And still it's not the physical decay we nknow from aged humans.
... maybe he looked more tired around the eyes when he meets Oakroot the last time.

Tavie

@Rob ZOMG Nosferatu elf. LOVE.

terrified

Dark_Serval

Mkal

The only thing that I cannot understand is how is it Timmain does not have those same "ravages' of time. While I am all for the true elf wanting to leave the confines of the physical form, I do not think that their physical appearance would reflect that internal struggle.

Leanan

Well, Timmain is a shapechanger. Eldolil and Ekuar aren't, nor are Voll and Savah. Winnowill is almost as old as Voll, yet she looks young also. Again, fleshshaper magic.

Heather

Mkal said: The only thing that I cannot understand is how is it Timmain does not have those same "ravages' of time. While I am all for the true elf wanting to leave the confines of the physical form, I do not think that their physical appearance would reflect that internal struggle.

I have wondered that myself. Maybe it's because he was so far from the Palace and Timmain stayed close? Maybe it's because she was in wolf form? Or perhaps something psychological went on that caused the body to break down.

Embala

Actually Timmain looks pretty much ALIEN ... more than any other elf on Abode.

And it might make a differance that Timmain "embraced" Abode and the life there.

Thornbrake

Yeah, Timmain and Winnowill can control they way they look through their magic. The rest is the result of how the elf lived. Starvation, torture, exposure to the elements, living in constant fear, etc. will age the elf (e.g. Eldolil, Ekuar). Living in peace, safety and good nutrition will leave an old elf almost unmarked by time. Those that spend time in the sun are more likely to show weathering (Sun-Toucher, Savah).

I think Aurek is a great example too. While he was comatose in Blue Mountain as Egg, he was smooth faced. After getting crushed in Blue Mountain and living in the elements, his face was much more weathered.

Rob

Edit: Did it work? This is our first merged thread! Any replies to this, I'll use to create our first "split" thread, which will naturally enough be about merging/splitting threads.

Heather

Seems to have worked fine. Anyone else noticing issues?
EDIT: Also checked the merged post that is closed and the link to here works just fine, so all seems to be well.

Embala

Worked fine! *chuckled* The merged posts make for funny results in discussion. ;D

Thornbrake

Yup, looks like it works. Do the posts just all come in in chronological order?

EDIT: Yeah, I just looked myself, which is what I should've done in the first place, and it does. ;-)

Heather

Thornbrake said: I think Aurek is a great example too. While he was comatose in Blue Mountain as Egg, he was smooth faced. After getting crushed in Blue Mountain and living in the elements, his face was much more weathered.

It is also possible that he developed some sort of illness. After all, we know Rillfisher lost her hearing due to a fever, so it is possible he had contracted some sort of disease and it was working on him slowly.

Mkal

I will buy the Timmain remaining close to the Palace theory. Also, Savah lived in a very stress free world at Sorrow's End.