ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Pike

Pike

http://elfquest.com/pike/

cactus

I just realized that Pike didn't have his own thread, poor thing :D

In the discovery sub forum there's been some discussion about the lack of background detail in the pictures. That made me think of all the great detailed background in OQ, and especially the pics where you can see Pike learning from the Sun Villagers. I have always been so fascinated by that. We didn't really know much about him back then, but I thought that these little "snips" told a lot about him :D .

Anyway... I was going to post them here in the Pike thread, and found out there was none...

crescent1325

i like him he is always so cute and rosey. i love his fun loving attitude especially...

Windrider

Oh, yay! Someone added a Pike thread! All these appreciation threads for characters that were only in a few panels, and one of the original Wolfriders didn't have his own thread. :P

I feel that fans (including myself) are often drawn to characters that they probably wouldn't like if they were in real life - I mean, how much drama can one take, day to day? ;) A good (interesting) character doesn't always make a good friend.

However, I feel that Pike would make an excellent friend in real life. Easy to be around, accepting, fun-loving, silly and serious as need be, loyal, uncomplaining. He is one of the under-appreciated characters of EQ.

Pike riding Tiptail, penciled and inked versions:

PCoquelin

Aaaah ! Squirrel cheeks...

I guess this one has always been under-estimated.

Elyon

The one elf who recognized Dreanberries :D I always liked him alot, he's just cute and verry funny.

Kitt

I don't know...he always struck me as a jolly hobo :D :oops: :P

innie

Pike definitely deserves his own thread. I love him more and more. actually Pike has suffered the most in his life. It's been hinted that he was Crescent lovemate. He lost his father Rain, Vaya, Cheipar, Skot...

He's always been the one the other wolfriders laughed with. He's the lowest in rank because he's born outside of recognition. And still he keeps living in the now. He keeps laughing and enjoying life. Even though I think he really had his moments of serious heartache.

I think it was so cute when he gave Shenshen flowers. I loved loved him with Skot. Again, Pike has lost someone he deeply loved.

So I admire him for who he is.

Tifa

Cool pics Cactus! True, there's so much of Pike in the background! :D

Yup, if I would have to choose one Wolfrider to hang out and have fun with, it would be Pike! :D

krwordgazer

Pike is the salt of the earth.

Simple, unpretentious, unassuming, he accepts himself and others exactly the way they are. And he can get away with stuff the others probably couldn't, because of his fun-loving attitude and humble nature. In Dreamtime, Pike gets away with hunting alone with little more than an irritated question: "What are you doing hunting alone?" Pike never actually answers the question or apologizes, and Cutter lets him get away with it!

In fact, I can think of several other incidents where he is disobedient to his chief without consequences. Wink

Pike is a strong, contributing member of the tribe, both in storytelling and in fishing/hunting. He knows he's valuable to the others, and that he doesn't need to be born of Recognition to make it so. And I imagine he is invaluable on cold winter nights when game is scarce, and the others need a good chuckle and a dreamberry-head tale. . .

crescent1325

Aw, no one is showing Pike anymore love!

Well i will...

The Spring

a story of pike and Krim! i hope you like!

Fourleafclover

Pike is great - he looks alot more at home in his beard than Redlance does.

I love the story, Cres! I love Krim in fanfiction tho'.

Fourleafclover

pike

We need more Pike pictures!

Aldar

Quote:
Fourleafclover

This is how I remember Pike and Elfquest! :D

Minouche

Quote:
innie

Pike definitely deserves his own thread. I love him more and more. actually Pike has suffered the most in his life. It's been hinted that he was Crescent lovemate. He lost his father Rain, Vaya, Cheipar, Skot...
He's always been the one the other wolfriders laughed with. He's the lowest in rank because he's born outside of recognition. And still he keeps living in the now. He keeps laughing and enjoying life. Even though I think he really had his moments of serious heartache.
I think it was so cute when he gave Shenshen flowers.
I loved loved him with Skot. Again, Pike has lost someone he deeply loved.
So I admire him for who he is.

You forget how guilty he felf for not saving Vaya and how much support he gives Ember when she is just beginning as a chief. + he is always ready to defuse any sticky situation by playing the comic relief. The poor guy is stuck in his role as a supporting nice guy character and will never be the romantic lead, because, although it isn't his fault, he ressembles a garden dwarf.

crescent1325

but such a cute garden dwarf! ;-)

@FLC thanks!!!

ReenBladesong

All hail the cheif of the dreamberries!He so deserves this title.

Gazelle

Oh I love your avie!

krwordgazer

I don't think Pike would want to be the romantic lead. I admire him because he seems so completely happy and secure to just be who he is.

Minouche

Well, he is the essence of good buddy and I think we all need at least one Pike in our lifes. Maybe it's a good thing he isn't sexy, it makes him a better friend.

Flowerstar

Quote:
muriel

Well, he is the essence of good buddy and I think we all need at least one Pike in our lifes. Maybe it's a good thing he isn't sexy, it makes him a better friend.

What are you talking about, Muriel Surprised ? Pike is sexy as hell - everyone who makes me laugh has a lot of sex appeal in my eyes. I'd take him over someone with a brooding attitude any day.
(Only my view, though, your mileage may vary Wink .)

NightAngel

Quote:
krwordgazer

I don't think Pike would want to be the romantic lead. I admire him because he seems so completely happy and secure to just be who he is.

Uhu!
He's a simple soul, but simple souls are zen :)

Minouche

Quote:
Flowerstar

What are you talking about, Muriel Surprised ? Pike is sexy as hell - everyone who makes me laugh has a lot of sex appeal in my eyes. I'd take him over someone with a brooding attitude any day.
(Only my view, though, your mileage may vary Wink .)

I'm not into brooding either (turns me off), but jolly all the time exhausts me.

krwordgazer

No, I think that's a misunderstanding of what people have said earlier, Tymber. The consensus is that Pike isn't a brooder. Some people may think his constant light-heartedness is a little tiring.

I don't think so, myself. I think we have seen more in Pike than just light-heartedness. We have seen real concern and compassion for those he loves. We have seen gentle nurturing of Ember when she needed it, of the tuftcat kitten. . . We've seen him grieve while dancing for Skot, and when Cheipar died.

I agree with NightAngel-- Pike is simple, and uncomplicated, and that's refreshing. But he is a rounded character. There's more to him than "let's eat dreamberries and have fun."

Songflower

We've also seen his reaction to viewing the dead body of Mekda, which always hits me pretty hard to see just because of its contrast with his usual carefree, merry demeanor.

However, sometimes I think they kind of like to put him through things (lol), just because of this effect...IMHO he should learn to be a little more serious from day to day; then maybe bad things will stop happening to him!

LadyArill

All hail the ever awesome Pike! (Tackles Howlkeeper and shaves off his facefur)

Pike is awesome. If I was an Elf, I would be Pike. You want to see a shorter version of me in a male body, look at Pike. Pike is adorable and has ten times the sex appeal of Cutter and Strongbow COMBINED. (I'm a gal who loves to laugh)

When I read that Pike lost Skot I was all: "WHAT?! NO! Wrong in so many ways! Ressurect him and kill somebody ELSE, dammit! Pike does not need this!!!"
Seriously. Like Wingthing pointed out in her list of EQ Consperacies(?), Pike must know something. EVERYONE he loves dies. He must hold a deadly secret...or black mail over Winnowill. I bet HE knows where Two Edge's father's bones are...

Anyway, Pike is wonderful. He's comfortable with himself, he loves and laughs easily and about the greatest friend you ever want or need. Bow before him, Cutter Kinseeker. Bow before the better Elf. (Twitches)

If I were to spend time with any of the Wolfriders, it would most likely be Pike. I...I don't know why, but it would be him.

HOLY SNAP! Even WINNNOWILL likes him!!!

krwordgazer

With all due respect, my lady, didn't you know that it was Pike who gave wine to Egg? 8)

Not everyone Pike loves dies. His niece Newstar is still alive. They never seem to get to live in the same place, though.

Pike does love Krim. And Sust. They still seem quite lively to me.

I kind of liked getting to see the side of Pike we saw when Skot died.

LadyArill

[i:20452a1f8a]Allow me to rephrase myself slightly; I would rather keep company with the cheerful wino (even though he got Egg drunk) than keep company with the idiot cheif. Make more sense?[/i:20452a1f8a]

And let me rephrase myelf as well: A LOT of Pike's loved ones have passed on. Odd how none of CUTTER'S current loved ones die...(Curses the rules of 'Golden Boyness')

Minouche

Well, he is a well rounded character, not a one dimension passing shadow, or a face in the crowd; so he's got to have more to him than just his usual cheerfulness. When I said that a constant serving of his cheerfulness would exhaust me in a lifemate, I didn't mean I thought him incapable of depth. He may not be magical, he still has a soul. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd find Rayek or Strongbow just as impossible as lifemates (Smile once in a while, darn it, all isn't gloom and doom).

LadyArill

Well with Rayek you can sort of understand some of his gloom...he does, after all, carry a seriously cracked out woman inside his soul/mind/body.

W-wait...how can I be HERE...and in Rayek at the SAME TIME?? How does that WORK?!

Uh...uh...oooooh! Look! Something SHINY!! Look at the shiny, Winnowill!

Minouche

Lady Arill wrote:

Well with Rayek you can sort of understand some of his gloom...he does, after all, carry a seriously cracked out woman inside his soul/mind/body.

He seems have always been a moody and glum character, even as a child. Even his few smiles were more satisfaction and pride than joy. He was endearing in his youthful devotion to little Leetah, but he was never carefree. Sure ,now, he does have a reason for his moodiness.
To get back to Pike, considering the life he had, he is an exceptionally gentle, cheerful, even tempered, and forgiving character

krwordgazer

So how does Pike get away with it, anyway?

In Dreamtime he goes hunting alone and without a weapon, and nearly gets his rump split in half by a tusk boar. When Cutter catches him, all he says is "why were you hunting alone?"

In Legacy he adopts a tuftcat kitten and keeps it in secret for a long period of time. When the kitten is discovered, there's an argument, but it's settled when Timmain decides she wants to take care of the kitten.

In Wild Hunt he goes after some dreamberry bushes without permission-- Ember only finds out after the fact. Although Pike gets captured and the whole thing causes a world of trouble, all she says is that the tribe needed more dreamberries anyway.

So how come Pike always gets away with it?

Minouche

Because he is the quintessential well meaning, open hearted, generous, loving and forgiving character himself. Seriously: have you seen him hold a grudge against a fellow elf, or withhold affection?
I think the whole tribe knows how big his heart is and how full of dreams his head (even when there are no dreamberries around).

Suzene

I also think intent counts for a lot with how severe the punishment meted out by chief and tribe is likely to be. Pike, like everyone else, has his occasional stumbles, but he rarely puts his desires ahead of the tribe's interests and he always means well -- Stubtail was an act of mercy, the hunt was for meat for the entire tribe and was at least started properly, the dreamberries were an accident, etc. Given that, it's easy for me to see how a chief could take a "these things happen, be more careful next time" attitude with Pike's antics.

Contrast that with Bearclaw's drinking or Skot and Krim going after their haunch of roasted deer. Those were entirely selfish actions which put the tribe at risk for no good reason at all and so warranted a much harsher reaction from the chief/tribe than anything Pike's ever done.

jeb

[img][img:1bbe99e8f6]http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/jepaul42/pike.jpg[/img:1bbe99e8f6][/img]

Embala

Awesome! A great view on our storyteller ... I like his "night-colors"

spiritofthewater

This is taken from Comics Scene #4, 82. It is meant to illustrate an article about "how to become a successful independent comic artist" and Pike is doing as best he can.

Embala

That's fun! Pike looks like a chipmunk Grin

Easter EggHunt 2014 found

midnightmoon

Kitt, "a jolly hobo"??

PCoquelin

Ooooof!...

What a thread !

Well, Pike is not only the cool and behind-the-scene character he seems to be, you know...

He SURE loves dreamberries, but he also KNOWS them...

And rest insured there's FAR MORE to his character...

...than meets the eye.

midnightmoon

those are some nice pics, PCoquelin. that story was (and still is) my favorite.

Embala

I like your kind of posting, PC :D

Maiken

Where is that last picture from, PC?

PCoquelin

Quote:
Maiken

Where is that last picture from, PC?

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/DTC/DisplayDTC.html?page=112

The need to be accepted...

Maiken

Oh, thanks. :D

Embala

Part of it is already here ...

... that's the whole pin-up calendar pic :D

[Deleted User]

have to confess, that although Pike usually don't strike to me as sexy, this pinup one with autumn-coloured dreamberry leaves does the trick...wouldn't mind a tumble with him- bet he'd be funny partner.

Kyri2015

I love that picture!! I always loved Pike.....he's my favorite character....hence the avi and banner... Wink Grin Grin

Arthis

Yes, I love that picture too! Pike's so damn sexy in it... that navel... yummy!
I once made a moving avatar from it, Ishould re-use it Wink

Kyri2015

I agree....he is sexy..... :D Grin

Maiken

Pike is one of my favorite characters. :D And he sure do look good in that picture.

CrimsonAnna

Pike is one of the characters that really has grown on me. He doesn't look very "classical elven" but I like him, and as a story-teller, he has an important function.+ I will always see Sust as his son, he looks to much like a young (handsome) Pike to be anything else.

I also hope, he might recognize again someday.

Arthis

Pike has always been one of my favorite character: joyfull, simple, easy going, an omega wolf who knows his place and role, and who embraces it eagerly.

Beside, he is sooo cute, look at this yummy bellybutton:

and he is the first character to be shown in a same-gender relationship, which makes me love him all the more.

Look at that tender look he is giving to Skot

He has been through so much harsh time (come on, he lost his mother, his father Rain, his sister Rainsong, his nephew Wing, his lovemate Vaya, his son Cheipar, and his lifemate Skot!)

and he still manages to move on and look happy with life.

Allura

There wasn't a thread for Pike?

Well, glad that's fixed now. Since I started writing him in my what if story, the roseynose highthing has grown on me considerably.

Arthis

There is, but in another sub-forum, and we can't move it to this sub-forum, so...

Allura

I always thought it was cute that he thanked his kill before eating it. Such an interesting quirk for a Wolfrider.

Arthis

Fan arts:

Pike and Vaya, by Rainflower

Father and son, by Joselle

Ooops (drawn for the 2008 fan calendar), by Bukittyan

Pike's brew, by Bukittyan

Love, by Bukittyan

Pike and Vaya, by Bukittyan

Ember and Pike, by Redshine

and my all time favorite: Pike's family by Redshine

(click on each image to see it whole)

Arthis

A few more fan arts:

Pike and Vaya, by Nienna

(click on picture for full view)

a cute Pike doll, by Moonmoss

Threesome, by ElfTanner

Embala

Quote:

There wasn't a thread for Pike?

Actually there was - and is - one in the Keeping In Character topic as well. The site change has mashed it up with the Pike thread in the Great Egg topic and it is no longer accessable now.

One of the collateral damage of the site change.

But Arthis has made sure Pike gets all the love he deserves. I knew he would do an awesome job!

Vojira

Quote:

Fan arts:

Pike and Vaya, by Bukittyan

Oh gosh, that's so damn adorable.O,o

Embala

A wounderful start for Pike's thread, Arthis! Loving, informative and colorful Heart

You are right, Arthis - he lost so much and still is optimistic and cheers up others.
Your choice of pictures is perfect. Of course your avatar picture has to be there - it's really a tender scene. And one that makes me sad, too ... thinking HOW he ended.
The animated bellybutton makes me chuckle ... and again Pike has spread good mood.

It's really cute, Allura - and so lovable. When I've learned right some hunting cultures DO thank the prey for the food and supply it gives them. And ... hasn't Timmain done something similar? Maybe ... it's a habit of the Wolfriders indeed - and Wendy has chosen the storyteller to show us.

The Pike-related art collection is amazing! So many pictures Hypnotize... great each!
I must come back and comment here ... most ot it got lost in messed-up threads.

Pike always seems so carefree about himself, easy going - the loss of his lifemate showed another site of him. Feeling very deep, very serious - ready to stand against his chieftess' order to honor Skot's memory.

Redhead Ember made a cryptic poem that evoked two different associations in my mind - the bell ringing stronger was on Pike's and Skot's side.

Background picture for Redhead Ember's poem

Wrapstuff

All great pictures!

I really like Pike. Where was it in the comics that Leetah thought Pike might not be able to Recognize because he was born outside of Recognition due to "tampering" and was a bit spacey because of it?

Has he ever Recognized?

Embala

Matter of factly - NO, Pike has not recogniized so far.

Humorous - He once said he already has recognized ... Dreamberries XD

Somewhat sad and disturbing - what Leetah has said (when it was this way - don't remember where to find the quote) would mean she considers Pike as being inferior!
OMG!!
Pike is a Wolfrider, having an elfin soul as any other Wolfrider and elf. "Soul meets Soul" - that's what happens at Recognition - and it happens to create a special, a genetically well combined child. The only reason why Pike would not be able to recognize would be - that he has NOTHING to give being worth to pass on!
We know he has much to give!

All that matters - Pike does not matter Wink He is absolutely fine the way it is. A loving relationship with TWO lifemates (tho he lost Skot ;(), a son and an important task - he is the dreamkeeper and storyteller, connecting past, presence and future.

Would be interesting to have him recognize, tho ... but - naaah, why should every elf have to!

Ah ... this gives me a "weird" idea XD

Easter EggQuest 2012 reserved for Yenhei found

Startear

One of my favorite moments from the newer comics is when Pike learns from a distance that Skot was dead.

Embala

That really was a touching moment. I noticed that Arthis has posted these scenes at the other Pike thread in THE GREAT EGG. And it was exactly what I used for a collage to illustrate/interpret Redhead's inspiring poem ...

Dream

Vojira

Quote:

Somewhat sad and disturbing - what Leetah has said (when it was this way - don't remember how to find the quote) would mean she condiders Pike as being inferior!

OMG!!

Actually she just said he's not ''special''.

Embala

*sigh of relief* ... still not what I'd call sensitive. :/

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Vojira

Me neither. I raised an eyebrow when I saw it myself.

Startear

And yet it would be fun wouldn't it? One of the most special of elves recognizing one of the ones lying in the "lower" special scale.

On her terms, of course, not mine. I like him a lot, and it saddened me how downgraded he became in the storyboards and comic alterations.

Vojira

Quote:

And yet it would be fun wouldn't it? One of the most special of elves recognizing one of the ones lying in the "lower" special scale.

I've always wondered why it's never actually happened.

Wrapstuff

The world is most often callous to those who are different from everyone else.

Wrapstuff

I'd love to see Pike Recognize... but, no, not every elf has to...

...and as sad as it is to be regarded as different like the way Leetah regarded Pike, she spoke with a straightforward honesty. Pike is different. The circumstances of his conception were not the genetically favorable ones of Recognition. Leetah's right. His genetics don't have that special character. He doesn't look very happy in that picture when Leetah is explaining to Ember. It's good that even in the world of Two Moons, not everything, or everyone, is perfect. That those regarded as Pike is, have a place too.

He isn't loved any less, and he had a family with those he had that fact in common and seemed most comfortable with them.

Arthis

Quote:

That really was a touching moment. I noticed that Arthis has posted these scenes at the other Pike thread in THE GREAT EGG. And it was exactly what I used for a collage to illustrate/interpret Redhead's inspiring poem ...

Dream

BEAUTIFUL! I love your collage and my eyes are all watery...

Embala

Now I am touched, Arthis. Such praise from you means alot. Thank you! Happy

There is a story by faeriegirl in the grab-bag challenge of March 2010 ... actually a short retelling of the Madcoil incident from Pike's point of view.

It inspired another illustation. Family Ties.

It's not so clearly about Pike and hardly understandable without the story, so I'm not sure whether it should be here. And in my own thread there is a "making of" description that might give helpful explanations, too.

Embala

This started as an "activity feed" on the social side. I say it belongs here in Pike's thread:

TrollHammer wrote

On the other hand, Pike was a storyteller, a "drunk", and just an all around cheery guy in the tribe and his name reflected his weapon of choice...

MrsGrizzley wrote
Pike's name was as much a reflection of how *ordinary* he was as it was his preferred weapon. Skywise was a much "deeper thinker", but few could follow his thoughts. Anyone could follow Pike's thoughts... straight to the Dreamberry bushes. *chuckle*

I wouldn't call Pike "a drunk". He's an elf who loves Dreamberries more than most of the others do - he even told once "he has Recognized the Dreamberries".
He's the one who is shown more often (or more obvious) dreamberry-drunken. And he really enjoys a day in the Dreamberry bushes. Without.Any.Doubt.! Wink

Besides this he is a capable hunter and trusting warrior. He's the one who gives support when needed, is curious for learning techniques and knowlege of other elf folk, and always ready to backup his chief and tribemates.
His confessed Dreamberry addiction never kept him from "doing the right thing" when he was the last one you'd have expected to do so.
Yes, he is a mischief maker as well - possibly more often "by purpose" as we think.

He was the one who '"rescued" the Dreamberry seed in the fire. Did it require a special thought? Maybe - maybe not.

Keep in mind - he is the tribes storyteller. The Dreamkeeper. He is supposed to use Dreamberries to fulfill his task. Having Dreamberries handy is as self-evident for him as Cutter holding New Moon or Strongbow grabbing bow and arrows.

For the same reason it is quite natural for him to think of Dreamberries actively. As the resident dreamkeeper he is more aware than everyone else that without Dreamberries the Wolfriders' culture of oral tradition will die. The memories of the past, fading away in the NOW of wolf thought anyway, depend on the use of Dreamberries.

On the other hand - Bearclaw WAS A DRUNK, at least for some time of his very long life.
But this belongs in another thread ...

Rob

First real test of merging two discussions imported from the old system -- everything seems to have worked OK! Thanks to @faeriegirl for pointing out that Pike had two threads all to himself. Now to fix the broken BBCode images...

Trollbabe

SPOILER: After the most recent battle scene, it occurs to me that Pike might be like one of those mainstream comic book characters whose loved ones keep dying. By the time we first see Pike, both of his parents are gone. His father died violently. Rainsong is his half-sister, and she dies of old age, but they never seemed close, nor do her kids call him Uncle. The first child of his three-mating died in infancy. His lover Vaya and both of his lifemates were killed in battle.

RedheadEmber

He most definitely doesn't have it easy...

Embala

... and he still knows how to love, laugh and cheer up the others.

PCoquelin

I guess Pike will have a MOST IMPORTANT ROLE, pretty soon.

I re-re-re..read the Dreamtales, recently, that's why..
..or maybe it's just the effect of dreamberry wine, here.

*hic*

RedheadEmber

You think he'll learn how to shapechange... into a dreamberry?

PCoquelin

His dream is symbolic.. He "simply" enjoys life, thus looking uninteresting, to the ones with higher aims.

Which is precisely why HE may save many hides, at some point..

..or cause some catastrophe, as well.

Trollbabe

If he causes a catastrophe after losing so many lifemates/lovemates, you might as well change his name to Wolverine. He just about meets the height requirements.

RedheadEmber

Hey, @Thornbrake. You might wanna have a look at your (awesome) list of wolf friends for Pike. Pretty sure Gnawbones was never his wolf, he was Strongbow's wolf.

Thornbrake

Arthis said: Look at that tender look he is giving to Skot

That's one of my all-time favorite panels in Elfquest.

WolfCandy

Wrapstuff said: Has he ever Recognized?

Idk if this has already been mentioned... but wasn't it rumoured he would have recognized Vaya had she not died?

WolfCandy

And I thought this was really cute :D

Heather

WolfCandy said: Idk if this has already been mentioned... but wasn't it rumoured he would have recognized Vaya had she not died?

Not in the actual story, but it is possible fans have discussed it. The same about him and Crescent being lovemates as well.

WolfCandy

Heather said: Not in the actual story, but it is possible fans have discussed it. The same about him and Crescent being lovemates as well.

Aaaah

Rob

pike2014

The Spring 2015 Pike Collection introduces shades of chartreuse, apple and london tan.

Embala

First thought: Pike looks good! :D

RedheadEmber

When I first saw that picture I was convinced I'd seen a photo of Rob standing like that, being Pike. @-)