ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Mardu, another part-time chief

Embala

We meet Mardu in the OQ and SaBM ... and more than 500 years later she is still alive. Now she is the one close to Kahvi - and the one who is left in charge for the tribe during the "Pridequest".

The following scenes make me think that she was sort of a ceremony master and storyteller for the Go-Backs:

And she gives a little insight in Go-Back motherhood

RedheadEmber

(Hey, just me dragging up Mardu's more than two-year-old thread.)

I've just been thinking a bit about her:

A: I think eventually she became much more than a part-time chief, giving Kahvi's tendencies to basically go "Alright, everybody! I'm back, I'm still your chief. Mardu, you be chief. I gotta go find... stuff..."
(Also, we know from Windkin that Kahvi eventually dropped being chief completely.)

B: I actually think that for that period of time she was the better chief of the Go-Backs. Kahvi was too focused on giving the Go-Backs some sort of grand 'purpose', while Mardu seemed to be content with simply letting them be what they basically were at that time; A wandering tribe of hunter-gatheres. Which is what they were before the lure of the Palace began.

Tam

I agree about Mardu being a better chief than Kahvi. She's always there, content in letting them just be instead of some grand purpose. Reminds me of Suntop and how he'll "be what I'll be!" in terms of his wolf blood or lack thereof.

@Embala, where did you get the color versions of these?

Embala

@Tam The color version is from the Carlsen edition - colored and translated for the European market. It's up on DEQ as KAHVI IN COLOR.

In fact it is my own German edition ;) ... scanned, sent to Skya as coordinator and retranslated and photoshopped (where necessary) by her and other members of the Scroll as a fan project some years ago. Richard made room for it on DEQ.

Long story short: An ENGLISH colored edition is only available on DEQ.

Tam

Fantastic. Thank you! :)

marinayurk

Beauty :) my :)! ! As I missed
you! !

marinayurk

None of my acquaintances won't
understand.

Trollbabe

That was one of my problems with Kahvi. She should have formally retired at some point, and handed everything over to Mardu permanently. She also seems to be a more attentive mother. What happened to the little one?

Embala

Would be nice to see him - or one of his descendants - meet Venka.

RedheadEmber

How do we know Kahvi didn't "formally retire"?

From Windkin's story we know that Kahvi eventually "chose total freedom over the duties of a chief."
Maybe she simply told Mardu that:
"This is pointless. As much as I love this tribe and want to rise it up again, I can't stay. You be chief, and your son after you, and his children after him."

Tam

I just wanna know what happens to the tribe as a whole. Kahvi's life was unusually long...I wouldn't count on Mardu, her son, or any of her other early descendants still being alive. I know they're immortal, and it's certainly possible that the Go-Backs developed a more peaceful lifestyle, but I kind of doubt it, especially considering the spread of humans...I think they'd defend their home and many would die in the effort. 10,000~ years is a long time, and with how they breed...we'd have elves everywhere. *laughs*

Then again, maybe we DO. We still don't know where Teir's plains tribe came from. Maybe they were originally from the Go-Backs and formed a splinter when the tribe got too big. However it all happened, I just wanna know...I'm excited to find out what in the world happened to Kahvi in FQ and what role she still has to play, but I hope Mardu and co. aren't forgotten in the process.

RedheadEmber

In Shards#16 it says something to the effect of "countless of generations of Go-Backs came and went during the Wolfriders' long sleep."
10.000 years is indeed a long time.
Of course, when the remaining Go-Backs arrived in the Palace they pretty quickly asked Venka if she was going to be their chief, so they probably hadn't had a chief for quite some time.

Trollbabe

Mardu seems to be showing more affection toward the child, than I associate with Go-Back parents.

Tamarien ChangeStone

I so agree TAM - I would just wiggle with happiness to find out what happened to the Go-Backs.

I guess I always assumed Teir's tribe where the plains runners from BoTC; The tribe that Freefoot Recognized from ? I have it (drawn in by me in the 1990's) on my old WoTM map as 3 days ride from Freefoot's Holt. Sad how that one ended.

RedheadEmber

Tamarien ChangeStone said: I so agree TAM - I would just wiggle with happiness to find out what happened to the Go-Backs

They're currently travelling with Venka, Aroree and Two-Edge, trying to find out what happened to Kahvi.

Tamarien ChangeStone said:
I guess I always assumed Teir's tribe where the plains runners from BoTC; The tribe that Freefoot Recognized from ? I have it (drawn in by me in the 1990's) on my old WoTM map as 3 days ride from Freefoot's Holt. Sad how that one ended.

Yeah... but the Plains Runners from BoTC would have lived somewhere near the old forest (where Goodtree's Rest was later founded), whereas Teir's tribe lived in the New Land. Also, we know for a fact that Teir is a descendant of Go-Backs.

Trollbabe

Spoiler for FQ#4

Is that Mardu in the last panel, with Kahvi and the others?

Tam

That seems to be the consensus, but her hair doesn't quite match for me to agree definitively.

RedheadEmber

Trollbabe said: Is that Mardu in the last panel, with Kahvi and the others?

The Go-Back in the back, behind the Sunvillager?

Tam said: That seems to be the consensus, but her hair doesn't quite match for me to agree definitively.

If it's the one I think Embala is referring to, then she's wearing a hat.

Tam

I don't think there's a Sun Villager in this picture, unless you count Leetah's head...

RedheadEmber said: If it's the one I think Embala is referring to, then she's wearing a hat.

I don't know which one Embala is referring to. ;) I'm talking about who I assume you believe is a Sun Villager. From the bottom, clockwise, we have Skot, Krim, Vaya, unknown Go-Back (it wouldn't make sense for that elf to be anyone else, in a picture of all who followed Kahvi), possibly Yif, Kahvi, possibly Kiv, and Tyldak. Mardu wasn't big on either hats OR bangs, so I don't think that's her in the upper left corner. That elf could just be a random Go-Back...and nothing says that's definitively Yif or Kiv either.

RedheadEmber

I just thought it would kinda make sense to have a Sun Villager in the group as well.

Embala

RedheadEmber said: If it's the one I think Embala is referring to, then she's wearing a hat.
Huh?

RedheadEmber

I was pretty much thinking:
Okay, there's Kahvi, Vaya, Skot, and Krim.
The Glider, possibly Tyldak in his original form.
Two unknown Go-Backs, of which the male might be Yif.
And an unknown Sun-Villager.

Since Mardu is neither male (as the other Go-Back - who might be Yif), A Sun-Villager (like the one I assume to be a Sun-Villager), a Glider (like the one who might be Tyldak), nor Kahvi, Vaya, Skot, or Krim (obviously), I figured that left only one; the Go-Back right in the back of the group.

travelbug

I think the one with at the top to left behind Vaya, may be Mardu in the last panel of #4.
She's pictured without headband and ponytail in HY2, and with headband and braids in the wolfrider's guide. So her style seems to change.

On the other hand, the headband and hairstyle does match Urda's in Siege at blue mountain, but then the face itself is more different.

Its anyones guess at this point. Hopefully the next issues will provide answers ;)

Trollbabe

Maybe it's a photobombing ghost, who found a Go-Back hat lying around, and snuck into the panel while Elfmom wasn't looking.

Where's Cheipar?

RedheadEmber

Where's all the other Gliders? Other Go-Backs? Various Sun-Villagers (Lutei, Shushen (if it isn't, as I suspect, the one I Refer to as 'the Sun-Villager), Yurek and so on), Wavedancers, Firstcomers, Ekuar's pals?
They can't all be in the panel, because it would be a horribly crowded picture.

Tam

Well, Cheipar would at least make sense, considering two of his parents are in the panel. I'm still pretty confident that everyone in that panel is a follower of Kahvi, so it wouldn't make sense for Gliders, Sun Villagers, Wavedancers, Firstcomers, etc. to be there.

RedheadEmber

Maybe spirit-Cheipar is still an infant. They left him back with some who could take care of him.

Embala

Tam said: I'm still pretty confident that everyone in that panel is a follower of Kahvi,
... for me too, so I won't expect any other kin in the picture unless there is a story behind.

We have always seen random unnamed Go-Backs in Wendy's panels in the past - good chance it is this way again. The ones in the background CAN be Yif, Vok and Mardu ... or unkown to us and close to Kahvi for this ot that reason.

The way the panel is drawn I can almost see more faces emerge from the shimmering fog in the next second ... ;)