ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Soulname List

Wrapstuff

Is there a list of Wolfriders and their soulnames, and meanings? These are the ones I remember.

Correct any I have totally wrong, please!

Spoilers for anyone who doesn't know this so please do NOT read any further if you don't want to know.

Cutter - Tam "Blood of Ten Chiefs"

Skywise - Fahr

Strongbow - Wyl

Redlance - Ulm

Nightfall - Twen

Dewshine - Lree

Scouter - Jyiall

Sunstream - Klynn

Bearclaw - Grenn

Joyleaf - Deir

Two-Spear - Marr

Graywolf - Vrenn

Prey-Pacer - Owm

Valoa - Murrel

??? - Ise (from the BOTCA)

jeb

I think the last one you have listed might be Wreath, whose soulname was Aiyse (I think I'm spelling that right, I'll have to check.)

Also, I think Joyleaf's was Dehl, not Deir, and Scouter's is Jial.

Some others off the top of my head:

Tyleet - Sohn
One-Eye - Sur

[Deleted User]

Moonshade- Eyrn (not sure about the spelling)
I think it was mentioned in "Dreamtime" somewhere...

Embala

Let's see what I've gathered somewhen back in time Smile
Any additions? Oh - and some order might make sense, too. Alphabetical? Other suggetions?
Anyone who knows first-hand please approve or correct the list.

I have linked those we actually have seen to the Recognition scenes ... or wherever it was revealed.

italics = soulname mentioned in BotCs novelization only
Many thanks to DJAF for the extra informations about relationships and chief times! And the the names from the novelizations should be as correct as possible now.

The differing soulnames result because the early elves often have to search for it and only found parts of it. Or different parts found by someone else. And last not least they are simply inconsistencies due to different authors.

Wolfriders

Sunstream - Klynn
Ember - Zheel
Cutter - Tam
Skywise - Fahr
Redlance - Ulm
Nightfall - Twen
Dewshine - Lree
Scouter - Jial
Tyleet - Sohn
Eyes High - Koei
Shale - Zash
Strongbow - Wyl
Moonshade- Eyrn
Dart - Dyrr
One-Eye (Woodhue) - Sur
Buckthorn - Prye
Hummer - Wirr
Finder/Bluestar - Blyw

Bearclaw - Grenn / Renn
Joyleaf - Dehl
Goodtree - Neme
Lionleaper - Lleyn
Acorn Songshaper - Mergin / Mirj
Tanner (Oakroot) - Lhu
Stormlight - Myr

Skyfire - ... really not revealed?
Dreamsinger - Kyr
Two-Spear (Swift-Spear, Spear) - Marr
Graywolf - Vrenn
Willowgreen (the 2nd) - Tyrr
Prey-Pacer (Prunepit) - Owm / Genrow
Wreath - Aiyse

She-Wolf - Rahnee
Valloa, New Wolf - Murrel
Timmorn Yellow-Eyes - Timmorn ... no idea whether this one counts

All the cublings of Rahnee and Zarhan were called "Brighteyes" first:
Brighteyes (Brighteyes I) - Penda
Cat (Brighteyes II) - Mar / Mara
Ice / Wolfrider (Brighteyes III) - Tyr / Tirak
Kree (Brighteyes IV) - Kree / Kreanne
Prunepit/PreyPacer (Brighteyes V) - Owm / Genrow
Fowler (Brighteyes VI) - Fowler

Another set of ancient Elves and early Wolfriders from the novelizations:
Dove - Eval ... older sister of Two-Spear
Laststar - Surlin ... sister of Rahnee
Lightfeet - Orn ... Lifemate of Cat
Rushwater - Cha ... found orphaned, probably from The Hunt, lifemate of Ice
Slowthrower - Bur ... Lifemate of Cat
Willowgreen (the 1st) - Darrell ... pureblood; only survivor of Ice's splinter tribe
Windwhisper - Chat ... member of Prey-Pacer's and Two-Spear's tribe

Anaya - Anaya ... daughter of Zarhan with Chesiri
Jerem (?) - Jerem ... part of Ice's splinter tribe
Plenty - Kara ... child of Ice and Rushwater
Olwun (?) - Olwun ... part of Ice's splinter tribe
Tamsen (?) - Tamsen ... part of Ice's splinter tribe

Other old Wolfriders - not sure at all about those
Echo - Tyu

Original Wavedancers

Ailsa - Kye
Barmek - Lyr
Raenafel - Zoh
Jormak - Kryb

Sunfolk

Sun-Toucher -> Anatim

Not actually a soulname because Sunvillagers are not supposed to have one, but Suntoucher's original name was revealed in the Recogniotion scene.

Wrapstuff

Thank you for correcting my mistakes and the many, many additions.

I wasn't aware the original Wavedancers had Soulnames. Do the new Wavedancers?

Embala

You are welcome Smile

I'm still working on the list. Many of the ancient ones I got second- or third-hand. I should ask "Ambient" for help ... she's very interested in this period and has actually read lots of the prose stories.

Judging from the Brill-Sunstream Recognition the New Wavedancers don't have soulnames. We should have learned Brill's in this case. Possibly there might be an "original" name revealed (like it happened with Suntoucher) ... don't really expect anything like this, tho.
Of course Wendy could surprise us in the Final Quest.

Embala

Got a long pm from DJAF - many thanks for the help! Time to correct my mistakes Wink

*goes working on the listing again*

EDIT: Ready! Happy

Trollbabe

Do we have Teir and Ember yet?

RedheadEmber

We have Ember's. Teir doesn't have one.

skyward

If we're going with the idea that Teir is Kahvi's son, are we to assume that Go-Backs lost their soul names as part of "no longer needing" Recognition? I'm curious about where that would leave Kahvi, as she was a Wolfrider first, but she clearly had children outside of Recognition. Is it possible to "lose" your soul name?

Embala

Added Ember.

Good question, @Skyward. I have no clue ...

Leanan

I have this little theory... that Kahvi never found her soul name. And that is why she can never settle down - she is searching for something, but she doesn't consciously know what it is.

RedheadEmber

Interesting theory, @Leanan.

skyward

That's a cool theory! Has it ever been said whether Wolfriders need to "find" their soul names? Nightfall knew Tyleet's soul name when she was born, and Cutter's parents knew his at the same time (if I'm remembering correctly), so I guess I've just always assumed it's something they know their whole lives.

RedheadEmber

Seems like for earlier Wolfriders "finding the soulname" was definitely a thing (Goodtree even refused to be chief before she'd found hers).
Considering that Kahvi is supposed to be Two-Spear's daughter - and therefore a "throwback" to the earlier Wolfriders - I'd say it's safe to say that she (if she has one) never knew hers.

Tam

Wendy's said straight up that the soul names are related to wolf blood...so that would likely be why Go-Backs don't have them.

Wolfriders have searched for soul names in...potentially non-canon stories? But I don't think it's ever mentioned in any of the core material. I know Goodtree had to go find hers.

Embala

Tam said: Wendy's said straight up that the soul names are related to wolf blood...so that would likely be why Go-Backs don't have them.
Still leaves a question about Kahvi - WHEN has she lost her wolf blood? It occured to me that she was "killed" and preserved in the magic pool before Willowgreen cleaned the wolf blood. Then again ... was it ever stated she did so (and WHEN) in core material?

Tam

Embala said: Still leaves a question about Kahvi - WHEN has she lost her wolf blood? It occured to me that she was "killed" and preserved in the magic pool before Willowgreen cleaned the wolf blood. Then again ... was it ever stated she did so (and WHEN) in core material?

Hopefully this works...quoting seems to be down, ish.

Yeah, no idea about Kahvi. None of what happened in the Kahvi issues seem to be referenced anywhere else in the core material, but given that Kahvi's profile says she's Two-Spear's daughter, I'm comfortable with treating it like canon. My personal theory is that Willowgreen removed her wolfblood while Kahvi was in the magic pool; perhaps she didn't have the chance or the ability to restore her fully, but wanted to make sure she would be free of wolfblood when the pool restored her.

In terms of the soul name, I like Leanan's theory.

Trollbabe

Does Sust have a soul name?

Tam

Still unknown.