ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest's Creepiest Moments

Embala

This was posted on Facebook around Halloween:

As a storyteller, I believe the REAL spine tinglers are those moments of horror that are tinged with pity and empathy. Hence, I present this album of some of Elfquest's creepiest, grimmest, scariest moments. Dare I say "enjoy?"

Embala

Want to add your own ten pack?

Or just some scenes that you count as creepy?

PCoquelin

Not sure what you mean with 'creepy', in Elfquest, but the saddest moment is..

.. Voll's death.

PCoquelin

Well, after some reflexion and the use of a dictionary, I found THE creepiest scene ever :

Just figure if he and his tribe survived and prosperred, while slaughtering and dominating humans..

lunakat

I've always thought this was a little creepy... right up until the point when Timmain sits down in his mummified remains. (Did they ever clean that up?)

Embala

Not sure what you mean with 'creepy', in Elfquest, ...
It wasn't me calling it "Elfquest's creepiest, grimmest, scariest moments" - both headline and quote were either from Richard or Wendy on Facebook. As were the choices for the Top Ten. All I did was bringing it from Facebook to the Scroll ... with delay, because I temporarily had forgotten about it.

Well, after some reflexion and the use of a dictionary, I found THE creepiest scene ever ...

Just figure if he and his tribe survived and prospered, while slaughtering and dominating humans...

You are right - this cover always makes me shudder. And it always makes me think about what I see
- an elf painting his face with blood (creepy enough)
- a wolf biest with bloody flews
- or an elfin werewolf (and I don't talk of Timmain's or Timmorn's werewolflike appearance!)
Yes - it DOES evoke the werewolf myths!

Trollbabe

When Skywise and Leetah accidently land in the Sun Village ruins, the first thing they see is a human skull in the foreground.

Creepier than that, is the High One who collects the bones of the other High Ones. And you think Trolls are morbid.

RedheadEmber

Trollbabe said: Creepier than that, is the High One who collects the bones of the other High Ones.

That would be Haken, the crazy guy.

Elwing

All of Rogue's Curse is pretty dark stuff, but the first pages in part 2 (the only one Wendy drew) have some particularly fine body horror. Rayek wakes up and realizes that Winnie has used him being asleep as an opportunity to permanently change his body. He knows he can never sleep again, and then she takes it a step further by going all touchy feely on him- and it's clearly not consensual. Very creepy indeed.

RedheadEmber

Some of the nightmares from Dreamtime are pretty dark as well. Might have something to do with them being, you know, nightmares.

RichardPini

There's all kinds of creepy: sad-creepy, horrific-creepy, disgusting-creepy... I wonder, is there such a thing as happy-creepy?

Heather

RichardPini said: I wonder, is there such a thing as happy-creepy?

Being married to an Englishman, I can say that yes, yes there is. =))

Trollbabe

there was a creepy-looking old lady, drawn by Barry Blair, who was a character in New Blood or Fire-Eye.

RedheadEmber

Trollbabe said: there was a creepy-looking old lady, drawn by Barry Blair, who was a character in New Blood or Fire-Eye.

Pei-Lar? I think she appeared as an old lady in Fire-Eye.

But... talking about creepy-looking old ladies: