ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Do Sunfish, Fin-owill, and the Wavedancers actually need clothes?

Trollbabe

The main reason all Elves wear some kind of clothing, is that Elfquest is a family comic. Obviously we don't want to see things we might see in "Masque."

Aside from adorning themselves for decoration, modesty, or carrying tools and weapons hands-free, do water Elves really need to wear clothing?

Embala

The main reason all Elves wear some kind of clothing, is that Elfquest is a family comic. Obviously we don't want to see things we might see in "Masque."
Nailed. Wink

Aside from adorning themselves for decoration, modesty, or carrying tools and weapons hands-free, do water Elves really need to wear clothing?
Actually I've thought about recently. Everything besides very tight clothing must be cumbersome when swimming and hunting.

Now, Sunfish, Snakeskin and Surge don't actually wear anything - besides more or less irritatiing codpieces and some chest adornements.

Fin-owill (love the name!) isn't really dressed as well. It's more like algae growing on her body - definitely for decorative use. I can imagine Fin-owill doing this just for vanity ind "impressive looks".

I can see the tight pants - i.e. Redcrest, Kroosh, loincloth and short swim"dress" for the girls. In fact it makes sense - prevents highly sensible parts from getting sunburnt ... or nibbled by curious fish XD

Brill's bra ... is either impractical or magically enhanced. Spray's very decorative bikini looks similar suspicious.

But what I definitely do not get is Longfin's long dress - must slow her down badly in water. Not only impractical but dangerous.

Maybe the the scaled, finned and scarcely covered ones are hunters in open water while the "overdressed" Wavedancers spend their working days mainly on land? Would make sense that those (partly) undress before considering a longer swim ... but then we are back to statement #1 Wink

Trollbabe

I've seen the immediate results of childbirth on a woman's genitalia, and it's pretty disturbing. Brill seems to have recovered nicely. Does she remember where she left her panties?

TrollHammer

Maybe they have more in common with fish/whales than fins and affinity for water: seems to me that sea water wouldnt be the best on "things" after birth.

As to clothes, clothes among other tribes are as functional as needed. Leather and fur on land affords a lot of protection that loinskin (particularly) just cant provide. Even fish develop protective coatings to protect against environmental hazzards and against preditors (when some fish are caught and released as per local regulations, its detrimental to them: the coating can get rubbed off by the fisher, and allow bacteria and infection). Further, besides occupational hazzards, each elf will have different personalities and preferances for coverings or lack there of. For example, I find it preferable to wear a vest in 30-40 degree weather, while a few hundred miles away the "norm" is down filled full coats for anything under 60F.

It would seem that similar instances would be found under water, such as personal sensitivity to water flow over parts of the body, bumps and scrapes that are commonly encountered, personal preferance to temperature, and of course, style.

lunakat

Does she usually wear any?

Back to clothes.. it seems that the Wavedancers are as into adorning themselves as the Sunfolk. They have pearls and earrings, coral bits, not to mention the most inventive use of seaweed I've ever seen. What clothes they wear are probably purely for decoration... since they don't seem capable of keeping anyone warm or protected.

That said- Wavedancer skin seems to be different than the skin of other elves. They have scales.. etc. Brill's skin seems to be covered in a layer of salt in some pictures... it seems strangely textured. Maybe an adaptation to living in the sea? Maybe copying fish?

Embala

Clothing mainly - or to a large extent - for decorative reason ... I can see this, lunakat. Spray's bikini is VERY decorative and others like adornements, too. I remember especially some of the males - chest plates and codpieces ...

And those, who are less active in the water can wear more "impractical" pieces.

Trollbabe

If water-breathing Elves wanted to walk along the bottom of the ocean, would they need to make weighted shoes?

Embala

They managed fine to sit around a table for an underwater meal ... without sinkers. So - NO.

Trollbabe

Embala said
Fin-owill (love the name!)...

Other options are Winno-wet and Winnow-gill.

Stormcatcher

I'm opting for Winnow-the-Minnow...

Trollbabe

Picturing the cast of the Elfquest movie, dressed for the Oscars...

TrollHammer

Embala said

Clothing mainly - or to a large extent - for decorative reason ... I can see this, lunakat. Spray's bikini is VERY decorative and others like adornements, too. I remember especially some of the males - chest plates and codpieces ...

And those, who are less active in the water can wear more "impractical" pieces.

Elves are ever impractical... the Wolfriders were the most practical of the lot of them, at least as far as clothing is concerned.

Embala

XD

Picturing the cast of the Elfquest movie, dressed for the Oscars...
With a LOT of pearls and sea-foam-like veils and colorful scales - don't you think they would look splendid?
Possilbly creating a new trendy style Wink

Trollbabe

A waterproof Red Carpet for the Wavedancers

ChristinaRaibert

Embala said

But what I definitely do not get is Longfin's long dress - must slow her down badly in water. Not only impractical but dangerous.

You know, Longfin's gown always made me think of jellyfish for some reason. SOmething about its iridescent color and the way it flows and trails around her in tendrils... Do you think the WaveDancers might have come up with a way to remove stinging properties from jellyfish (and sea anemones, maybe) to use as clothing, much like the Wolfriders did with Preserver silk?

(Third time in a row I try to send this... why did the close button had to be placed to the right where most send or ok buttons normally are? -_-)

Embala

(Third time in a row I try to send this... why did the close button had to be placed to the right where most send or ok buttons normally are? -_-)
Bug #328, I suppose ... XD

I've tried to post the floating version of her gown but it was not distinct enough to give a good picture.
I must admit that Wendy has improved optic and functionality ... it's still not very practical for open waters. I figure that Longfin prefers to near the shore.

I don't think jellyfish is an appropriate material for clothing ... these animals are mostly water. Looks like some sort of silk, though - especially in the water. But the overall look in free water is close to jellyfish ... I can see where you come from, Christina.

I wonder what Wavedancer clothing is made of in general ...
- leather from sea mammals
- fish leather
- fabric from some sort of seaweed?
- Preserver silk? ... we have no confirmation by Wendy, but there was at least one bug seen in the Wavedancers series.

PCoquelin

Do Sunfish, Fin-owill, and the Wavedancers actually need clothes?

No.

But you, the readers, do need them.

ChristinaRaibert

Embala said

Bug #328, I suppose ... XD

I've tried to post the floating version of her gown but it was not distinct enough to give a good picture.
I must admit that Wendy has improved optic and functionality ... it's still not very practical for open waters. I figure that Longfin prefers to near the shore.

I don't think jellyfish is an appropriate material for clothing ... these animals are mostly water. Looks like some sort of silk, though - especially in the water. But the overall look in free water is close to jellyfish ... I can see where you come from, Christina.

I wonder what Wavedancer clothing is made of in general ...
- leather from sea mammals
- fish leather
- fabric from some sort of seaweed?
- Preserver silk? ... we have no confirmation by Wendy, but there was at least one bug seen in the Wavedancers series.

Probably *based* on the look of jellyfish - agree. If so they probably used some very light material that doesn't hinder her in the water, but yeah can't imagine her ever being a very fast swimmer with that gown on o_O I believe it was part of the reason why she told Krill to "swam ahead" in the lost chapters (other than she was carrying the wounded Darshek, okay). Guess she's somewhat of the opposite of Salt, who always stays near the water? *grins* Nice to find variety among the elders ^_^

I remember that water Preserver! Too bad they didn't do more with it - perhaps it was decided to axe it so as not to make the story *too* similar to the Original WaveDancers? But IMHO that would have made sense if, considering the OWD are supposed to be the hallucinations of the Broken One, No-Wing was his delirious take on an existing Preserver in the tribe.

And there's another option - skins of *land* animals! At least in the EQ2 series the WaveDancers still ventured on land and it's very possible the hunters resorted to "land game" occasionally - if anything if they experienced lasting typhoons or seastorms ("last storms season", "the storms had only come and gone twice..."). Not quite sure about Discovery - they seemed to have moved a lot more in the water, although they are still seen hanging on dry shore occasionally (on the boat in the first ish). Zephyr's band was shown as hunting both on land and in the water, too. Though the Crest Point elves probably not venture very far, and certainly not have as much experience as Wavecatcher had.

Embala

No.

But you, the readers, do need them.

Agreed ... I need them too. If only for decorative purpose. It's so much nicer to see them wearing some pretties.

And - lets face it: The artist needs them! This way they are much easier to regognize in group scenes and backgrounds. Wink

RedheadEmber

Hmm... notice something about "Sunfish"?
When Sunstream prepares for his transformation before going out to meet Brill in the Final Quest he actually takes his clothes off!
Now, we don't actually see him take off those leggins, and the "beginning of the transformation" shot only shows him waist-up. But, as someone (Trollbabe?) already pointed out; this isn't Masque! There are certain parts we would not want to see!
So, I think it's safe to assume that Sunfish, at least, is not wearing anything.

Trollbabe

I sometimes have trouble telling what is clothing, and what is attached.

In the Sun Village, little Ember wore a wolf emblem to show her heritage. Maybe fish-folk wear certain things to communicate status, affiliation, achievement, etc.

TrollHammer

(Agrees with Trollbabe on which is which, some adornments seem to he "growing" out of some of them like lacy fins)

Occured to me what might happen if a fish grew legs and walked down main street... Would it need clothes?

In the water, not so mucb, but on land a 'walking fish' would need, at the very least, a damp towel. Some marine fish, such as Salmon, can transition between salt water and fresh water (though even salmon need a transition period, IIRC), but many or most marine critters need a very precise level of salt in thier environment or some very ugly thing happen. I once tried to keep a krill alive at home that had washed up on the beach. It was fine until I had to change the water, but even adding the proper amount of aquarium salt for marine fish (according to directions), it was still not right and it died rather quickly and spectacularly. Id imagine Wavedancers would more robust, but thier skin would need protection from a downpour, and most likely dry, warm air, as anyone who has seen a fish wash up on the beach knows what happens to fish out of water.

Anyway, another thing, on the water side, I didnt mention specifically (and didnt see anyone else mention it, sorry if it has been): coral is sharp, and they would need serious protection from it if they were to be around it much.

Thornbrake

lunakat said: Brill's skin seems to be covered in a layer of salt in some pictures... it seems strangely textured. Maybe an adaptation to living in the sea? Maybe copying fish?

Brill and Krill's skin tone is pearlescent. And I think it, like everything else about the Wavedancer's clothing and physical forms, is purely decorative. You have a powerfully magic tribe (on par with the Gliders) with flesh-shapers and healers, with no need of protective clothing in their tropical, watery environment. Their fins, skin tones, hair colors have all become as decorative as their clothing both by birth and by the art of the healers.