ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elwing's Things!

Elwing

After going trough 389 pages of Elfquest dollz I thought it was time to post a doll of my own. My dolls are usually Tolkien inspired, but there is this one slightly creepy Elf who likes to mumble to himself over a glass of beer in the Prancing Pony all night. No idea who he is, but I'll just leave his portrait here.

Embala

WOW ... Hypnotize

He looks awesome - and I'm pretty sure who he is!

Elwing

He can also be seen prowling around the Mirkwood sometimes...

G0lden

Nice.

Elwing

I did a little (s)elf-portrait, because I wanted to learn how to color drawings in Photoshop. Much more practice needed, I'm afraid. Any requests?

Elwing

No requests? let's hear it for Yun then.

Hope I got her colors right...I couldn't find much reference!

ChristinaRaibert

What a beautiful Yun Luvlove She has all of Skywise's wolfrider side and a little extra Go-Back-ish toughness. Love how you gave her Skywise's characteristic nose too!

If it's not too much trouble... perhaps you could draw a picture of Sunstream, Brill and Korafay? Puppy_eyes Or maybe Haze and Farbright if you're familiar with them?

Elwing

Oh dear. I never got around to reading any of the wavedancers stuff...

MrsGrizzley

Oh wow... oh freakin wow...

DAYUM!!!!!!!

You have my absolute respect for one HELL of a gift!!!!

Uhm... if you do Original Elves... wanna try your hand at Sunspark? Pretty please?

G0lden

Very nicely done!!! Yes we need a family pic of Sunstresm, Brill. and KOrafay. Maybe even Cutter and Leetah with the wee one as well.

If you need ideas go to the first edition of Final Quest. That'll give plenty of new ideas.

Embala

Elwing said
He can also be seen prowling around the Mirkwood sometimes...

I'd love to meet this mysterious guy ... and ask him whether he remembers another life as a certain golden-eyed elf on a world with two moons... Wink This doll looks fantastic, Elwing. How tall is he?

I like your sElf portrait - eyes that meet the viewer's eyes, a hand ready to draw, the tousled hair and little detailes that bring character and life. Your sElf looks very elfquesty.

You've captured Yun wonderfully. I havn't bothered to to look up references and compare ... it looks like Yun and carries the EQ feeling. The colors and style suit her.
I love that you showed her ... vulnerable. Her expression is thoughtful, a bit sad - yet ready to fight.

Something struck me all of a sudden: She reminds me of Eyes High!

A request? not sure where to start or to end. No idea which stories and characters you are familiar with.
I like to see unusual ones, neglected ones . And series. You've started with Yun - how about doing the bridge children?
Ember, Suntop/Sunstream, Windkin, Venka, Yun, Sust maybe? Korafay ... tho there's few reference.
Elfquesty portraits of Serrin and Bowki would be a gift.
And for a challenge - Timmorn and Two-Edge are bridge children, too.

... I like Venka ^^

Elwing

The doll is 1/3 human scale, so a good whopping 60 cms tall. He is a head I made of Fimo (an oven baking clay similar to Sculpey) on a posable body made by a Japanese company, Obitsu. It's similar in style to a BJD (ball jointed doll). All the clothes and accessories by yours truly :D
As for more drawings, it's awfully rude to ask for requests and then not take any- But I'm not sure what I will do next, I will have to see where the urge takes me Smile

Embala

WOW ... impressive size. The sculpted head turned out excellent and I love the detailed clothing! *bows*

About the requests - take the list as an inspiration. Do what your muse longs for next - it promises best results. Smile I know well ... cannot "work in a row" at all.

Elwing

Because nobody asked- Here's sassy Shenshen! Laugh

Embala

Clap YEAH for moooore!

G0lden

Lovely

Elwing

I revised her face a bit because she's supposed to be a real chipmunk!

Embala

The sunshine on her cheeks brightens her mood, too Smile ... not like she was gloomy before ^^

Elwing

Did anyone ask for Kimo?

Somebody please give the poor boy a sweater! I'm not so happy about the way his elf anatomy turned out, but I like Wolf-Kimo, so it will have to do.

Embala

WOW for the wolf! Round and furry enough to be cute - dark and sharp enough to be dangerous. A well balanced elf-wolf and very realistic. I love the intend blue-eyed glare.

Elf Kimo turned out very well, too - his features, his slender built. You've mentioned the problem with his left arm already ... looks like his elbow points to his back. Wish I'd know more about anatomy and perspective to tell what exactly bothers me. Whatever - it's more than just "will have to do". :)

The "magic fog" as background adds athmosphere, connects his appearances and symbolizes his magic.

Elwing

You're absolutely spot on with that, when you see it.... So I did a small reworking. But I still don't think this works well enough.:(

Embala

I cannot see WHAT exactly you have done - but the elbow changed direction! :)

MrsGrizzley

She added the little mark that shows the point at the elbow... it helps. Still slightly awkward, like it's not *long* enough, the whole arm that is, but I'm not good with these sort of things myself.

Elwing

I'm still at it...But I really need to up my digital technique. Is it ok to post fanart in the character threads, by the way?

Finished version added for reasons of completeness...

Embala

Yeah - back with new treat! This is gorgeous, Elwing! I love to see your artwork.

Fanart in charcter threads was common and very welcome on the old Scroll. Havn't read differnet so far.

Tynami

Beautiful works here!! If you're willing, I'd love to see your take on my girl Tynami or her mother Change (she's wearing short shorts now instead of the skirt).

Elwing

I'm coloring this one- I think he needs a bigger head though. What do you think?

Embala

Hm ... as an EQ elf ... *tries to remember Wendy's instruction for Elf proportions*

I ad mit that he reminds me of a Human native American - I thought the "missing" head scarf is puzzling me. Might be the proportions ... or it's simply the perspective misleading me.

Elwing

Well, there's a reason for that-Look at the snake he is killing? This is the story of how Rayek got his trademark headband- I mean he must have worn it for centuries. it can't always be the same one.
I like to think that he walks into the desert every once in a while and kills the flashiest, most deadly creature around- the Abodean equivalent of the very brightly colored and venomous coral snake.
And then wears its skin around his head, just so that everyone knows he is the best. And maybe it will even impress his girlfriend.
I'm no writer and I will never write a fanfic, but this story seemed to fit the character so well that it had to be told :)

Embala

OMG .... ! :-O THIS moment!

,,, had looked at it as "normal" snake pattern. I must still train my sight and attention when it comes to b/w detail.

Elwing

The colored version should explain it all!

Embala

After the heads-up knock I realized, ^^ Those snakes are beautiful. Great idea!

Elwing

hee! Thanks for your interest, love, this is what I do this for :)

Embala

My pleasure! :)

Elwing

Hide your husbands, hide your sons! The Damsels of the Desert are on the prowl! ;)

Night_Tanem

Beautiful! Good thing I have no husband or son :)

Embala

The Three Graces eq-style - an alluring trap.

The have the perfect EQ feeling, Elwing. I like the different expressions - teasing Maleen, inviting Vurdah and Ruffel ... expresses herself, too. ^^
Besides the faces I love the feet most.

Wonderful!

Elwing

Ah the classic theme of the Three Graces. You have caught me there;)

Tam

Quite lovely. :) 8->

Elwing

And here's Skywise's bevy of beauties putting all the flowers of the desert to shame!

Embala

I'm speachless, Elwing! *bows*

Tam

;)

Thornbrake

Gorgeous work!!

Elwing

I just love doing those creamy caramel Sun folk skin tones ;;)

Dreamcat

Oh, I love these three graces! I´m a fan of bold outlines and yours are very dynamic. The rendering is also very nice, and yes, the caramel skin tone looks great! It could only use a little blush here and there I think and they´d come even more alive. ^^

Elwing

Dreamcat said: It could only use a little blush here

That's a suggestion I will have to look into! I think you are right...

Elwing

There you go, Dreamcat, you made me make the damsels blush!

Dreamcat

Nice! :>

Embala

I tought they are amazing before ... warm smooth skin tone, shiny hair, bright gold. The outfits with radiant colors in soft shading and sheer moth fabric ...

... it's incredible how much such a little detail can add to the overall look! Blush gives the perfect touch - especially Vurdah turned out even more charming and alluring.

Elwing

Apparently I have to give permission to use these works elsewhere on this forum. So, hereby, I'm totally cool with that, go ahead!

Blue_Coyote

Oh very nice Elwing, I like your take on the Sun villagers and the Rayek one is very nice, and nicely colored. I like Kimo in his wolf form, I like how you've done him as a black wolf with the star on his head, it is very striking.
Do you draw your lines in PS too or are they scanned inks? I got a tablet recently and I still can't get the hang of it, my linework never looks as good as I can draw it by hand (plus I'm so in love with my Micron pens<3).

Rob

Elwing said: Apparently I have to give permission to use these works elsewhere on this forum.

Encouraging mutual permission as a general courtesy is a good habit!

That said, once something's been uploaded to the forum, it's fair game for anyone to discuss, link or reembed it elsewhere in the forum, so long as its not being reuploaded to some other server.

This isn't so much a policy thing as the plain fact that once the image exists on the server, it's there for good, and anyone can hotlink it.

Elwing

Let's put this here as well for sake of completeness.

Startear

I like it! It is nice to see these two interact with each other. I love how you show the enemy, a bear with his shadow. I like how subtle it is.

Some critique; Yun's right hand. It seems weird that she is holding the spear so loosely with that hand, considering that they are meeting a bear. Secondly, it kind of seems like she is grabbing her breast.

This other part is just something I notice that you do a lot in your other drawings, and it could just be artistic choice, and if it is please tell to back off. But I have noticed that you tend to draw the heads bigger than the torso. Yun's head seems especially big here.

I just noticed the little squirrel there, it is super cute. :) And the soft shading too. :)

travelbug

Lovely to see Skywise and Yun together :)

Embala

Skywise and Yun sharing an adventure ... a very welcome scene. This "invisible" bear is menacing! I like your way to tell the complete sory behind his snapshot by body language, facial expressions and ... shadows, Elwing. Awesome take an a bear hunt!

About the loose grip on the spear - good eye, Startear. She wouldn't hold her weapon carelessly.
You can interpret this detail in a different way though: Yun is caught in movement. She tries to get a better fighting position. For me it's easy to imagine that she adjusts her grip to the new angle this very moment.

I like the difference in their expressions - while Skywise looks worried, almost afraid of the danger ahead Yun is just determined and concentrated on "the next task". You could judge on character traits and differences just by this - Yun's Go-Back heritage shows.

Magpie

Wow, awesome artwork Elwin!

I just love the body language, even though it is not very realistic (character-wise I mean, but hey who cares). Just look at Skywises legs! Man, he is terrified! His knees are just about to give in, his left arm and hand are very tense, his face... looks like he is close to tears, or even about to faint.
And then there is Yun, his half Go-Back daughter, cool as any Go-Back can be. "Don't worry daddy, I'll just poke the beast in the eye".
I agree that it looks a bit like she's holding her breast, but the loose grip on the spear just underlines her coolness, "relax! It's only a bear!"

I love it. Chapeau!

Magpie

After taking a second look, I'm sure. This moment is just two seconds before Skywise collapses, he is already staggering, his eyes loosing focus. He'd make too easy bear-fodder if Yun wasn't there...

Elwing

Well, that's a lot you seeing into it that I didn't put there...Interesting. I think the thing with Skywise is that he is brave when it matters, and for the rest of the time he is no fool. He is a rounded character, who has what any normal person would have when facing a grizzly bear: an "oh shit" moment. But being a professional hunter, he probably has a strategy in mind.
As for Yun, she is a little bit of a mystery. In recent issues she is just being a background character. She does not seem to display the whole gung-ho Glorious Death thing as much as the other Go-Back characters. I'm hoping she has some of her dad's common sense.

Magpie

Just blame my imagination Elwing ;-)

Elwing

No problem, and I did a rework of it because, as Startear said, the hands weren't so great. Hands are hard! And there were other problems, with the shadows and with the edges of the grass. I put a warmer filter on it.
As for body proportions, I think the heads aren't that far off, they should be quite large. But what Wendy Pini does, is draw characters with a large head, a large torso, short legs and fairly large hands and feet. I stick a bit more to human legs/torso proportions. So that's a stylistic choice that I'm sticking with because it seems to work for me personally.
B-)

Elwing

Here's what I made today. it's a doll head, to be put on a resin BJD body. EQ inspired? Not directly, I just put pointy ears on everything because that's how I roll.

lunakat

Wow! Did you sculpt that?

Elwing

Yes, I use fimo, which is an oven harding polymer clay.

lunakat

I am so impressed. I love your things, Elwing!

Eyeshigh

Impressive
He lookes like a Vulcan too!

manga

So, um, could I commission a Rayek doll for me?? !Scouter

Thornbrake

Wow - amazing. So impressed with your work, @Elwing!

Embala

Admirable, Elwing! *bows* This face looks very expressive and alive.

Any chance to see the finished guy someday? :)

Elwing

yes, I will keep you informed!

jaRf

I should check in here more often. Well, if I could. Stupid "real life". But this is definitely mood lifting to see nice art and of course my favourite character. I like that pinch of humour with his snake bandana thing. \m/

Also the three ladies, if that isn't scorching hot like the desert! Definitely a nice sight on the current northern hemisphere. I like winter but only when there is snow but there barely is any. So then, look at some sunshine-ladies. :)

Seeing the sculpting makes me wish I could be creative again, but most of my energy went to my work and education for the last 5 years. :(
But this is definitely some awesome artwork and it is good to see that people are still creative and bringing such wonders to the world.

Elwing

Well, I've made a start on a Winnowill bust based on the EQ busts made by Tim Bruckner. I'm completely out of my depth of course, and my plans have been thwarted by not being able to obtain the proper material, which is a two component epoxy like Apoxie or Magic Sculp. Looks like I will have to order these materials from abroad at considerable cost.
Maybe I should just try air drying clay.

travelbug

How about airdrying clay as a first try?
It may turn out better than expected, and if it doesnt, you call it a test and go ahead and buy a better material online.

Elwing

I have for now started with an epoxy clay called Milliput which isn't very good, but cheap and easy to get, and that should work for the basic shape. I have a small amount of the Apoxie material, so I think I will just go see how far I get with that :D

Embala

Looking forward to see what your clayshaping powers will gift us, Elwing! :D

Elwing

I found that the only seller of Apoxie Sculpt (which is what the professionals use) in my country is in Bruges. And that's, like, 100 kilometers away. Just 62 miles! I hear you Americans laugh! Yes, but give me a break, my country is only some 150 miles across.

I can't afford to burn that much gas on just a bit of potential tinkering, so I made this into a little road trip. I drove as far west as I could, until I met the North Sea, and I stood on the beach. It was a clear but blustery and blisteringly cold day, and I got tired from being sand blasted soon. I then did what any normal person would do, and visited the ancient city of Bruges.

Nobody goes to Bruges in February except me and it was nice, quiet and romantic.
And then I returned home with my prize- 4 pounds of clay, because that was the only size they had. I sense a lot of sculpting in the future!

manga

We appreciate the lengths you go to. That sounds like it was fun. Wish I could have gone with you! Kinda hard to drive over the Atlantic, though. ;)

Elwing

Wish I could have taken you, because it's supposed to be an amazing place and I'm kind of taking it for granted. If only I could have seen it trough your eyes! I'm not rich, but I spend money on artist materials like mad (these 4 pounds of clay were 48 euros) Because it's worth it. Because I'm happy when I can use my hands. The results are really not that important and actually kind of boring. But I have got to keep on tinkering.

Nightsea

I like everything you've posted in your thread, @Elwing!
The doll head has something vaguely about it to me...if Channing Tatum were to become an elf.
You draw, make emoticons, sculpt and even travel very very well!
*applauds*
--Nightsea
PS: Just saw that Jupiter movie last night...now I know he looks more like:

!

Elwing

I said I'd keep you informed on Larus, and I finally got around to taking a few pictures of his finished (for now) form.

As I said I did not make this body, it was made by a Chinese company called Mirodoll. He's a big guy, 1/3 human scale, 60 cms long with his head on. I mislaid one of his arms...So I had to make a prosthetic =((

travelbug

Oh wow :-O

Tamarien ChangeStone

And yet the prosthetic looks so natural and delicate ! That is amazing. It sorta gives him a steampunk "feel". And what a handsome fellow.

I really like the hair a lot, along with the sculpt, it just fits so well all together.

I like the way you "roll" ELWING.

Zeina

Oh my goodness. You are so talented, Elwing! Some beautiful, beautiful work!

Heather

That is absolutely phenomenal. Awesome job, Elwing.

Embala

WOW indeed ... Gorgeous work, Elwing! I love that you went for "handsome adult" instead of "pretty boy". His features, cheekbones and jawline, the five o'clock shadow, the rumpled hair - it gives Larus a dangerous, roguish touch.
The eyes are absolutely natural - I'm ready to believe he meets my glance with investigating interest. The lips are just my taste. ^^

You have designed and made this prosthetic? Well, it's a pity you've mislayed an arm of this costy body ... but this prosthetic arm is marvellous! Artful and functional, scary and magical - a real eye catcher!

Excellent! *bows*