ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Tyldak (spoilers if you've not read the Final Quest Special)

Heather

In the final special we were hit with a lot. But one thing I still hear people talking about is the death of Ruffel. Our bubbly maiden from the Sun Village met a sad and quick end. However, I don't hear that many people talking about Tyldak.

I for one was surprised by his death, but I am still not sure how I feel about it. If he had been killed earlier on, I would probably have not been affected much at all. I didn't have much love for him, especially after he abandoned Dewshine and his own born child to die in the Frozen Mountains. Over time, we saw some changes in him. Protecting Kahvi from herself, and actually trying to do the right thing. However, it still didn't endear him to me. But, in the special we see Windkin and he developed a bond. How deep that bond was/is, we don't know. I don't know if it ever went as deep as a father/son relationship. Regardless, Windkin seemed to have been able to accept his father.

I didn't cry for Tyldak when he died. Don't know if I ever could. But I do know, that I was a bit sad to see him go.

RedheadEmber

Why I didn't cry for Tyldak (mostly because his death was told as a flash-back and therefore didn't happen "now") his passing was still a sad one to me. Especially because he spend so much time looking for Winne to restore him so he could be beautiful for Kahvi and she thought he was beautiful anyway...

As for his relationship with Windkin; I don't think it was a father-son one, mainly because Windkin at that point was too old to even need a father. Windkin accepted him, but I think that if someone asked who his father was he would still say Scouter.

Heather

That is an interesting point as well. When we first saw Windkin, he could barely remember who his mother was.

It would be interesting to see some story telling on what went on with them, maybe. But the mystery is nice too.

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: As for his relationship with Windkin; I don't think it was a father-son one, mainly because Windkin at that point was too old to even need a father. Windkin accepted him, but I think that if someone asked who his father was he would still say Scouter.

Yeah, totally agree with this.

@Heather, I was totally shocked and sad to see him go too. But it really gives Final Quest a sense of forward trajectory. Things are definitely moving and changing on the World of Two Moons!

Heather

@David-Agreed. I want the forward motion and these events have helped to do that. Again, I am still conflicted on my feelings about him, but I think the saddness is we didn't get to see more of the story (at least not yet).

Tavie

@Heather I was very moved by his words at death - about how he was finally "beautiful", making me remember what he sacrificed to fly, and his self-image, and all that stuff - it made it very powerful for me. It really made me reconsider his character after years of a sort of conflicted, almost dismissive feeling about him. I was definitely moved... don't remember if I cried...

Embala

@Rob Can you merge these threads, please?

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/discussion/3394/tyldak#Item_76

Rob

If this was a generic Tyldak thread, sure, but this one's about his death (and contains spoilers).

It's OK to have multiple threads concerning characters, so long as new ones focus on specific events or characteristics deserving of their own discussion.

However, the established character threads will soon be attached directly to the published character bios at elfquest.com. At that point I think we'll have this "character" category reserved for "official" character threads.

Heather

RedheadEmber said: I don't think it was a father-son one, mainly because Windkin at that point was too old to even need a father

That is a fair point, but we don't honestly know. Cutter hasn't "needed" a father or mother for a long time, but his parents still come to him in spirit form at the end of Shards and provided comfort.
Windkin could have *wanted* it from Tyldak. We can't know for sure (at least not yet). I also can't say if I think one way or the other. There wasn't enough to tell from the flashback or Windkin's behavior, at this time. But, Windkin did have some of the same desires as Tyldak (wanting real wings and for Winnowill to give them to him), so Tyldak may have been able to provide sympathy and empathy.

Embala

Rob said: It's OK to have multiple threads concerning characters, so long as new ones focus on specific events or characteristics deserving of their own discussion.
I apologize. I was used to the "one thread per character" rule for too long.

Rob

No problem!

Thornbrake

Tavie said: I was very moved by his words at death - about how he was finally "beautiful", making me remember what he sacrificed to fly, and his self-image, and all that stuff - it made it very powerful for me. It really made me reconsider his character after years of a sort of conflicted, almost dismissive feeling about him. I was definitely moved...

I agree @Tavie. Tyldak is one of the characters that has changed and evolved the most since his first introduction.

Heather said: We can't know for sure (at least not yet). I also can't say if I think one way or the other. There wasn't enough to tell from the flashback or Windkin's behavior, at this time.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more flashbacks to that time period when Tyldak, Kahvi and Windkin were travel companions, so we might just get some more insight into what kind of relationship Windkin and Tyldak had.

Heather

Thornbrake said:
I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more flashbacks to that time period when Tyldak, Kahvi and Windkin were travel companions, so we might just get some more insight into what kind of relationship Windkin and Tyldak had.

Agreed. I think this also because I am pretty sure that Kahvi still has a large role to play, even if she is not in the flesh anymore.

RedheadEmber

Couldn't the same be said for Tyldak?
There has been some speculation about why his spirit wasn't in the Palace at some special event (what was that btw?) But do we really know that it wasn't? Maybe he just didn't feel a need to come out of the spirit pool.

Heather

@RedheadEmber From what I remember, it's his spirit that didn't feel the need to come out of the spirit pool, not that it didn't go to the Palace.

Heather

Windkin approaching Moonshade in FQ #3 has me wondering is he finally trying to contact his father after all this time? And for him to be on the cover of FQ #5, possibly flying to the rescue, who does he possibly get in contact with?

I am getting very excited for the FQ to really kick off and I think that Windkin and Tyldak are going to play a larger role than I could have imagined.

kamion

I just got hold of FinalQuest in Dutch and noticed that Windkin refered to Tyldak as "master". Is that not just an awkward translation of "sire"as in the one who sired him instead of being his father, which Scouter was.

Stefan

@ Kamion, the dutch translation is aweful.. Like what they did with Suntop-Sunstream..It's a worse translation job than the Original 37 duth issues