ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Windkin

Windkin

Windkin –  Elfquest
Windkin – Elfquest

http://www.elfquest.com/windkin/

Character SketchWindkin is the son of Dewshine and Tyldak, though he considers Scouter his true sire. While bearing no animosity towards Tyldak, Windkin simply does not think of him as a father. Windkin was originally born a Wolfrider with both wolf blood and a Wolfrider’s soul name. When he was still an infant, Aroree kidnapped him and brought him to Blue Mountain, where Winnowill genetically r…

Arrow

[color=darkred:7be3df95ce]I had to do this. :D Please, anyone who wants to talk about, or drool over ( Grin ) our beloved Windkin, I'm with ya! So, I'll start a small conversation...

I, for one, would LOVE to see Windkin back in the picture. He's been gone [i:7be3df95ce]far [/i:7be3df95ce]too long. Why can't he come back already? :( [/color:7be3df95ce]

Gazelle

Yeah, I reckon!

I think Ahdri should be out picking some berries and a wounded Windkin should come stumbling out from the bushes after wandering for months trying to find them and BAM! recognition should strike!

Kitt

[color=green:44db700956]I'm a little upset about the way their "lifemating" was SEVERELY glossed over! :([/color:44db700956]

innie

I don't have those comics. Did Ahdri and Windkin recognize or not? And were they lovemates or were they just bounded by recognition?

Kitt

[color=green:fdcf1b6413]We don't know! All we know is that they refer to each other as lifemates. Whether it's a lifemating like Nightfall and Redlance initially were or like Cutter and Leetah became through recognition, we don't know :( There's a bit of speculation, though, but we're unsure.[/color:fdcf1b6413]

Giviyah

I agree! I'd love to see more of Windkin, and his relationships. For a complex character, he's really been neglected. I personally think that his relationship with Ahdri was that like Redlance & Nightfall, a choice of love rather than recognition.

Starmist

I really enjoyed the stories in Elfquest vol. 2 concerning Windkin, but there's still so much unexplored territory when it comes to him. I'm thinking that now that Adhri is re-introduced, maybe he'll be too. I hope so, he's sooo incredibly mysterious, and one of the characters I'm most curious about..!

Yngvar

Just one note. Windkin did appear somewhere other than in the shorts. Near the end of the Wavedancers series, he met the wandering Wavecatcher. He'd gotten a new oufit, with more clothes than he'd been wearing recently.

Ennaedwyn_StormheartGypsy

More Windkin stories, the fans demand it! Plus he's a hawtie! Wink

emerald

[color=blue:247dfa9178]I just want him to come back and recognize Ahdri! And his momma misses him! :( [/color:247dfa9178]

Alana

[quote:aaa1d7dc90="emerald"][color=blue:aaa1d7dc90]I just want him to come back and recognize Ahdri! And his momma misses him! :( [/color:aaa1d7dc90][/quote:aaa1d7dc90]

Yes! I asked Wendy if they were going to reunite in my question for the elfmom forum.

Silberschweif

Thank you Alana, for asking Wendy this question *hug*.

I'm dreaming of a reunit of both since I've read SatS.

Arrow

Quote:
Gazelle

I think Ahdri should be out picking some berries and a wounded Windkin should come stumbling out from the bushes after wandering for months trying to find them and BAM! recognition should strike!

That's a great idea! :D Plus, there needs to be a REAL recognition between them. Besides, Windkin has to come back. If the Wolfriders found another tribe, then the chances of Windkin showing up again should be almost definite. I mean, the Wavedancers were practically trying not to be found. And it's not like Windkin is doing all that he can to pretty much fall from the face of the world. I don't think that Windkin wants to not be found, so I would imagine it'd be, easier, I guess, for the Wolfriders to find him. Wink

Starmist

Maybe this is what Wendy's been hinting at in her WendyWords! Maybe Windkin and Wavecatcher will miraculously show up and save the day!
*daydreaming wildly*

krwordgazer

Does anyone besides me think Windkin has a tendency to be a bit superior and standoffish? :oops: I think maybe he spends too much time alone. . .

Starmist

Yeah, I know what you mean.. He has spent too much time alone... Also, he is Tyldak's son after all, no wonder why he's a little moody, it's in his genes with no wolf-blood to counter it..! That's why he needs to get back with his birth-tribe and get some smacks on his behind Wink

SPOILER!

Kidding aside, I do think that Barry Blair is somewhat to blame for his "superiority"(and I like New Blood..!), it was followed up a bit in the New WaveDancer's series, but I didn't see it so much in the short-stories that (I think) Elfpop wrote (nor in Wendy's story about the Sun Village war in Hidden Years). And it was in these stories that Windkin got to me, when he was sad and lonely, mourning Ahdri, flying away by himself.. I do think he's a good kid "deep down".. :)

Arrow

Yeah, he did have his days in those stories, but like Starmist said, it was different authors. Besides, I think Wendy has the mind to do what is right with him. :) I don't think that she'd make him cocky.

nomad-human

I haven't read any of Discovery yet, has Wavecatcher or Windkin shown up yet? And if they have have they been dragging 'Crop Spririt Girl' ?

Somebody needs to send Windkin an email or something. Having one's wife show up alive after you thought her dead is something most folks would want to know! Surprised

lunakat

Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. I imagine, once he gets his service up and running, Windkin will get a newsflash. Wink

Foxeye

[quote:a08db6b9d2="lunakat"]Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. [/quote:a08db6b9d2]

*snort water out nose*

I just had this picture of skywise grabbing Sunstream by the hair and peering into Sunstream's ear muttering "Where's the damn pr0n on this thing..."

crescent1325

[quote:2007342c46="Foxeye"][quote:2007342c46="lunakat"]Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. [/quote:2007342c46]

*snort water out nose*

I just had this picture of skywise grabbing Sunstream by the hair and peering into Sunstream's ear muttering "Where's the damn pr0n on this thing..."[/quote:2007342c46]

:roflmao: [color=indigo:2007342c46]Goes into fits of laughter at both the thoughts...[/color:2007342c46]

krwordgazer

It's always been a bit of peeve with me that we're all supposed to accept that Adhri and Windkin are lifemates, when that has never been so much as whispered of in the actual comics. The reference in the comic (Forevergreen) only said that Windkin had loved her, and she had been gentle with his young love. Which doesn't even really imply that she ever loved him back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they really are lifemates; I even like the idea. But I don't like getting told things by the Who's Who or Gatherum that are not even hinted of in the series itself. :?

PCoquelin

[quote:2a0cae3a2e="lunakat"]Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. I imagine, once he gets his service up and running, Windkin will get a newsflash. Wink[/quote:2a0cae3a2e]

"Umm... I'm trying but..."
[img:2a0cae3a2e]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/pcoquelin/EQ1/PC075_SuntopWorkSig2.jpg[/img:2a0cae3a2e]
** MUST find something better than this Internet Explorer thing... **

lunakat

[quote:ae822e7e60="PCoquelin"]** MUST find something better than this Internet Explorer thing... **
[/quote:ae822e7e60]

try "Kinseeker"-- a fantastic new search engine...

Nowth

The quick red fox jumps over the lazy blue e...

Ahem.

Yngvar

[quote:ce74d3714a="krwordgazer"]It's always been a bit of peeve with me that we're all supposed to accept that Adhri and Windkin are lifemates, when that has never been so much as whispered of in the actual comics. The reference in the comic (Forevergreen) only said that Windkin had loved her, and she had been gentle with his young love. Which doesn't even really imply that she ever loved him back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they really are lifemates; I even like the idea. But I don't like getting told things by the Who's Who or Gatherum that are not even hinted of in the series itself. :?[/quote:ce74d3714a]

Hmm. I get the feeling that it might be along the lines of Leetah meaning "Healing Light" or whatever it was. That started as fan speculation that was repeated so often that fans forgot that it was just speculation, and then mistakenly ended up [b:ce74d3714a]in[/b:ce74d3714a] some of those more or less official references. Partly due to a fan or fans who was/were interning at Warp, and some oversights on the editor's part. :roll:

Neechan

[quote:01a224e73b="PCoquelin"][quote:01a224e73b="lunakat"]Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. I imagine, once he gets his service up and running, Windkin will get a newsflash. Wink[/quote:01a224e73b]

[img:01a224e73b]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/pcoquelin/EQ1/PC075_SuntopWorkSig2.jpg[/img:01a224e73b]
[/quote:01a224e73b]

I love that picture! (Although, yes, the IE needs to go away)

But! In the search for a bigger version of it, I found a website for Suntop Computer Systems Corp. *giggles*

Arrow

Sooo... Any new thoughts on Windkin? I've been thinking about him (not in that way... Grin ) lately, and I've been wondering things. Of course, it's all things that people have already asked about, but it still is something to think about. Maybe there are some new theories as to why he hasn't returned, or what role he could possibly play in anything upcoming? Wink

As to what he could do if he did show up - what's gonna happen next? What, Cutter finds yet another tribe and there's some psychotic villian.... So Windkin shows up and comes to the rescue when Cutter's in danger? Probably not, seeing that Cutter is mainly the hero... Wink Besides, I don't see Windkin as one to save the day when even Strongbow or someone else can't... I'm sorry. I mean, I love Windkin, but he's....frail.... I, like so many others, do want him back, but what is Wendy going to do with him? In one of my earlier posts, I said that I wanted him to pretty much bump into Ahdri and recognition hit... But what happens after? Wouldn't he have to prove himself to the Wolfrider's? I mean, after leaving like that, I'd imagine they'd be pissed. Any thoughts?

Minouche

Quote:
lunakat

Well, Sunstream is poised to become the great elfin internet. I imagine, once he gets his service up and running, Windkin will get a newsflash. Wink

This I loved. :love: :roflmao: Can we buy a subscription, or is it a members only private club setting?

Yngvar

Quote:
Arrow

Sooo... Any new thoughts on Windkin? I've been thinking about him (not in that way... Grin ) lately, and I've been wondering things. Of course, it's all things that people have already asked about, but it still is something to think about. Maybe there are some new theories as to why he hasn't returned, or what role he could possibly play in anything upcoming? Wink

The last we saw of him was actually in the Wavedancers series. Although Discovery has taken up showing the main tribe, it hasn't addressed the cliffhanger ending of the series, or the part about the wandering elf Wavecatcher. As far as I remember, the last we saw was that Wavecatcher and Windkin had met, and entered a human village which worshipped another elf who seemed to have learned to believe in her own divinity. Windkin had gotten a costume change, too.

Quote:
Arrow

As to what he could do if he did show up - what's gonna happen next? What, Cutter finds yet another tribe and there's some psychotic villian.... So Windkin shows up and comes to the rescue when Cutter's in danger? Probably not, seeing that Cutter is mainly the hero... Wink Besides, I don't see Windkin as one to save the day when even Strongbow or someone else can't... I'm sorry. I mean, I love Windkin, but he's....frail.... I, like so many others, do want him back, but what is Wendy going to do with him? In one of my earlier posts, I said that I wanted him to pretty much bump into Ahdri and recognition hit... But what happens after? Wouldn't he have to prove himself to the Wolfrider's? I mean, after leaving like that, I'd imagine they'd be pissed. Any thoughts?

Well, it was hardly his fault that the Sun Village was attacked by humans while he was gone. They were the people who kept Chot around even when he'd caused an actual attack by the Go-Backs.

ReyesLord

Quote:
krwordgazer

It's always been a bit of peeve with me that we're all supposed to accept that Adhri and Windkin are lifemates, when that has never been so much as whispered of in the actual comics. The reference in the comic (Forevergreen) only said that Windkin had loved her, and she had been gentle with his young love. Which doesn't even really imply that she ever loved him back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they really are lifemates; I even like the idea. But I don't like getting told things by the Who's Who or Gatherum that are not even hinted of in the series itself. :?

Oi! I didn't even know they were "officially" lifemates! 0.0

I always figured it was the elf "Windstone" that made people assume that Ahdri and Windkin were lifemates. "Wind"---Windkin, "stone"---Ahdri's rockshaping abilities.

*walks off dazed with new revelation* Man, I'm gonna have to go fix my posts in the Fanfiction section RPG with Windkin referring to Ahdri as only his lovemate...

Nina

I'm another huge fan of windkin, he's been my favourite character ever since I first saw him grown up. I'm still patiently waiting for him to show up again in the comic.

I think Windkin has potential to turn a bit evil. The fact that he believes his lifemate to be dead might have really messed him up and he was already a bit crazy before...

I think there might be a chance that he turns up in the story about Venkas search for Kahvi. It would be cool if he and Tyldak ran into each other. After all, Windkin seems to become more and more like him as time goes by..

lunakat

regarding Ahdri... lovemates, sure, but-- when does it ever say they were lifemates?

crescent1325

Ahdri bio

It says it on there bio's Lunakat...

Although, in my own lil world i dont think they were lifemated either. Wink

Minouche

When Was the "Who is who" written and by whom? Is it a "lite" version of gatherum? It really found the page less than informative, but then I know I'm quite demanding.
A lot of important characters aren't introduced (I know some are dead, but their existance has had consequences on the living elves).
Since SaS and Discovery it is quite out of date (Chitter not even mentioned).
Rainsong, Woodlock, Wing are called Sun Folks without explanation. At least it could be mentioned that it is by adoption, since they were born Wolfriders.
Apart from the wolfriders and Sun Folks, all the other characters are less than even sketchily introduced.(but this maybe deliberate, so, on that last point, I reserve judgement until later).

innie

It also says that Dart and Kimo are lifemates, while Wendy herself now has stated they're not. I don't think we should trust it.

crescent1325

Quote:
innie

It also says that Dart and Kimo are lifemates, while Wendy herself now has stated they're not. I don't think we should trust it.

Wait, where did wendy say that they werent lifemates? Just curious.

Foxeye

It was in one of the Ask ElfMom's:

[quote:38a54b92b1]As to the possible censoring of Dart and Kimo's relationship...goodness! What are you folks out there assuming? Dart had a male lovemate in the Sun Village, but we haven't explicitly indicated it's the same situation with Kimo. Our elves are not gay - they can't even conceive of such a label. Every possible combination is normal to them; they don't tend to stick to a pattern or limit themselves. As we like to say, "everyone's visited everyone's tree sometime or other." Believe me, if Dart and Kimo were bonded lovemates, we'd get it across to the audience in the best of taste in the new material.[/quote:38a54b92b1]

http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3659

Fourleafclover

I was one of the readers who totally thought they were bonded lovemates. Ah shucks.

And Windkin... maybe it's the new mom in me or maybe it's because we saw him as a baby first... but he'll always be "Little Bumper" to me!

Nowth

I was one of the readers who never noticed anything. How do you manage to care about stuff that's never even been shown? But then, there's so much I didn't read, I guess I should shut up.

crescent1325

Oopsie, i knew that. i read Innie statement wong. :oops:

But thanks Foxy, how could anyone forget what that one simple statement stired up. :roll:

Nina

[img:d185434db2]http://ewancient.lysator.liu.se/pic/fanq/z/a/zand/windahdfweb.jpg[/img:d185434db2]

Here is an old picture I drew of the lovely couple. Hope you enjoy it :)

Suzene

Aw, cute! I like that you included the Bridge of Destiny in the background.

cactus

Ohh, I like it :D . I think it's really good Nina.

Kitt

[color=green:9232c33a08]That IS lovely :love:[/color:9232c33a08]

Starmist

What a great piece, Nina!! Windkin's eyes are just to die for :love:

innie

Nina, that's breathtaking :love: Have you got more fanart to share?

Foxeye

Surprised Oh I love that! I agree with innie. I want more more more!

Minouche

It's really really good: not only did you get their look right, you also got their emotions showing

Nina

Thank you so much for all the nice comments. :D I have a few more elfquest pictures on my elfwood page, only of Windkin though as I'm a little bit hung up on him.. Here is the webpage in case anyone would like to see them.

[url]http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/fanq/z/a/zand/zand.html[/url]

krwordgazer

Beautiful picture. I love the way they both have the same far-away look as they gaze together into the distance. What is the future for Windkin and Adhri? We all want to know!

Songflower

Oh, Nina, you are really really good! I looked at your pics on your site too. Have you any other EQ stuff anywhere?

Nightsea

Nina said: "more elfquest pictures on my elfwood page, only of Windkin though as I'm a little bit hung up on him.. Here is the webpage in case anyone would like to see them.
elfwood.lysator.liu.se/fanq/z/a/zand/zand.html

You really did capture him in that black and white one, as well
as the ones with his lovemates! Lovely!

I made an image tonight that could be a possible son of
Windkin's...

you can all guess who "mom" might be if you like...I haven't
decided!

Grin
--Nightsea

Quiver

[quote:d190e6b69f="nomad-human"]Somebody needs to send Windkin an email or something. Having one's wife show up alive after you thought her dead is something most folks would want to know! Surprised[/quote:d190e6b69f][size=12:d190e6b69f][/size:d190e6b69f]

Yah! Sunstream is now the Abodenet, so that's easy!

Steelwhirl

Am I the only one who isn't that keen on Windkin? Maybe it's his caustic personality, I don't know... (He's actually starting to remind me quite a lot of Rayek in Fire and Flight.)

Anyways, what Arrow and Nina were saying earlier made me think that Winkin would make an [i:a928797793]awesome[/i:a928797793] villain! :twisted: Either someone really evil could be pulling his strings, or he could just be messed up from thinking Ahdri's dead... (By the way, doesn't she stay in the cocoon for years and years until Rosie from the Rebels has some sort of encounter with her?)

EDIT: Oh wait, Adhri got rescued and healed in Searcher and the Sword, didn't she? Tsk, tsk, how could I forget!

Songflower

Well, I think Windkin got that way (in regard to his caustic personality) because the Forevergreen thing really hurt him, destroying some kind of innocence, although it's hard to understand that kind of innocence in a creature who is thousands of years old. But i've always had the feeling that it might have been the first time that he experienced misplaced trust, as well as people meaning him ill (that he can remember), and it would have been a terribly bad experience to have as the very first time such a thing happened to him, and that it just kind of did something to him, embittered him or whatever.

I also think that pretty much all the flying elves have this sort of dark quality, as though they're not always really happy like most of the others. I guess for some of them it may be due to the legacy of Winnowill (Aroree, Tyldak, and I really don't know about Aurek, who rather than being dark just seems to me, you know, very sophisticated); for Rayek, it's being Rayek, and for Windkin...well, he enjoys things the other elves don't enjoy, he goes places they don't go, he has experiences it's probably hard for them to understand when he shares with them. Kind of like Rayek, really. And I guess he pays a price.

I'd really love to know if that's him behind the sun symbol. It seems strange to me, though, that the same elf whose "immortal nature" wouldn't allow him to stay wrapped during the long sleep, wanted to be wrapped up and left for centuries, later on.

MissGillespie

a vaillian who's not Winnowill (-influenced) could be nice. But it is possible for a grand-cousin of Cutter, son of Dewshine to run mad (she should, at least, be able to reason him).

I like the gloomier, heavier-minded elves (that's why I liked Mender, too*). But I think he bettered a little with Wavecatcher, -let (hey, and I'm sure, if they story would went on, he and Wavelet would recognize).

*Windkin and Mender look pretty the same, don't they. Just switch the colours...

Embala

hmpf ... Windkin was "in a bad mood" in the Sunvillage already. And I don't see a good reason for this - he had a lovemate, he had magic users for company and even his parents (tho they were sleeping most of the time).

Then he went to the Forevergreen, got captured, betrayed, lost his lovemate and stayed alone witout company for who knows how long. This affected him deeply without doubt.

Nevertheless this does not count as an excusion for treating Wavecatcher mean - and what makes it worse - without any reason! Wouldn't compare him with Rayek - this one had plausible reasons at least. Too much of "uncle" Kureel's bad manners, I'd say!

On the other hand - I neither trust Barry Blair's New Blood nor the late Wavedancers for final judgement. I'll wait for Wendy's (hopefully!) take on him! In his actual state - yes, he could give a believable villain ...

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

krwordgazer

Hmm. We didn't really see grown-up Windkin until Tyldak and Kahvi tried to steal the Little Palace. I wonder if meeting his birth father had a negative effect on him? "I have tried to think well of you, until now," Windkin says-- or words to that effect. It must have seemed to Windkin that his birth father went from being Winnowill's minion to being Kahvi's, doing whatever either of them said without question as to right or wrong. That, and watching the bloodshed later between Go-Backs, Sun Folk and Wolfriders over the Little Palace, may be what soured him. And the encounter with Door just confirmed his reasons for mistrust-on-sight.

I agree that the reason Windkin gives for mistrusting Wavecatcher-- that any shapechanger reminds him of Winnowill-- didn't quite ring true for me. After all, Windkin never encountered Winnowill again after infancy.

Steelwhirl

Or maybe any shape-changer reminds Windkin of [i:2deaa8c16b]Tyldak[/i:2deaa8c16b] (who is shape- [i:2deaa8c16b]changed[/i:2deaa8c16b], even if he can't change back and forth). Maybe that's the reason Windkin treats Wavecatcher the way he does? :?

I've been thinking that perhaps the immortal elves in general (and not just the flying ones) have a certain melancholy element to them (just look at Lord Voll when he's first introduced) that the Wolfriders, being tied more firmly to the world, would never experience?

Perhaps Windkin's moodiness can be summed up as "Nobody understands me!" ...maybe he is the way he is because he feels like he doesn't fit in with the Wolfriders?

And I agree that seeing his natural father for the first time must have been a huge disappointment - perhaps it even left Winkin worrying about just how similar to Tyldak [i:2deaa8c16b]he[/i:2deaa8c16b] might be. It might even have made him determined to never be a mindless follower, himself, but to take charge - and that could be another reason for bossing Wavecatcher around.

Embala

He lived among IMMORTAL Sunfolk most of the time - and those are anything but moody! He had Savah - possible mentor and stabilizing element - he had Mender as agemate and "co-magicuser" (okay - maybe not only positive influence here Wink ).

- moody? - for sure!
- disappointed? - maybe
- feeling misplaced? - maybe
- mistrusting? - check!
- unused of having company? - check!
- kicking for wake-up call? - bad manners :x

Tho I'll say it again - blaming less the characters than the artists - either for bad characterisation or not comprehensible storytelling. Waiting for further issue(s) before judging about his character ...

Steelwhirl

Haha, oh dear, I'd forgotten about Windking kicking Wavecatcher awake!

I suppose he could still feel displaced in the Sun Village, because he's part Wolfrider, and because he's part melancholic glider, or both...
I've got to say, though, the more I think about it, I think that Windkin's characterisation is actually really good - it makes for really good stories to have a "good guy" character as antagonistic as him, since it gives all the other characters (the ones that behave better! Wink ) something to play off. Windkin's got good story potential! And his story could probably develop in really wildly different directions. Since he's so hard to figure out, it's possible that he could be "reformed" and become a nicer guy, or he could get even nastier! So in my opinion, that makes him a really interesting character!

jeb

Yeah, kind of like Kahvi was in the beginning! (Before they ruined her. :x )

Embala

Your ideas might be right, Steelwhirl, and they can be arguments for his cranky and hostile behavior. My point is - there are hardly sources in the story itself about your thoughts.

I don't insist on Windkin being a "nice" character - I would embrace him with joy as an ambivalent character - even as the coming villian ... if only the story would show us some well-founded development.

Up to now it's all left to the reader's imagination and goodwill to find causalities and/or excusions. This way I could even find some mitigating circumstances for Zey's ruthless raid!

Nothing personal, Steelwhirl Smile ... and, strange enough, normally I am the one to find venial reasons for bad decisions (at least when I take the commiter's point of view).

MissGillespie

Hmm, didn't Door imply (to him), that being a Glider is something special. And on the other hand, all Savah about telling him (his) Wolfrider (-side) isd special.

Well, elves in general are a little... unreflected (*ducks*). This isn't necessery something bad, all the lamenting about the good and the evil, what's making the world go round, which causes humans to have philosophers and prophets, that's something elves miss (they're more embracing life). But the magic-pokers seem to reflect a little more, or at least tend more to the gloomier side of life (Leetah had enough of this in OQ, too)

Steelwhirl

Oh, I completely get where you're coming from, Embala! :D Windkin is a tough one to like [i:a0c886d147]and[/i:a0c886d147] understand, and of course all the reasons I'm suggesting are pure speculation on my part.

And Miss Gillespie, I think you're right about the magic-users sometimes thinking too much about things, compared to the wolfriders... And, are you saying Windking might be going through an immortal elf's teenage phase? That might make a weird kind of sense! haha! Or, maybe too many people have been telling Windkin he's "special", and that's made him arrogant. Hmm.

Embala

Surprised A some thousand years lasting teenager phase? Poor elf parents Grin

btw: Have you noticed your typo?
[quote="Steelwhirl"]Haha, oh dear, I'd forgotten about Windking kicking Wavecatcher awake![/quote]
Sooo fitting! Wink

Easter EggQuest 2014 found

Steelwhirl

LMAO yes! :D How strangely appropriate, heheh. Grin

Quiver

Quote:
Embala

Surprised A some thousand years lasting teenager phase? Poor elf parents Grin

I was just thinking that but then I realised that Windkin is a teenager in the first raid for the little palace and he seems really nice then! I guess he's made up for it later. But then, he's also at his moodiest in Wavedancers, it wasn't that bad in New Blood.

I was thinking about the episodes just called 'Windkin' and it struck me how suiting it was to see him on his own. He is technically a loner; there's no one else like him. He was an outsider in the Sun Village and he actually doesn't know most of the Wolfriders. I guess that's why he was sympathetic towards Door - maybe he was looking for a mentor like Door was looking for an apprentice.

MissGillespie

haha, I didn't intend to say he had/has a teenage-phase, but hell, why not? He stars in NEW BLOOD (except Suntop, maybe Jethel, there is no really young elf there, they are only -comparetively- new to us)!

He was lamenting about "to (really) fly, only my father understood this", he probably really is/sees himself in a position, which seperates him from the other elves.

Hmm, and even if he gets mad about the "death" of Ahdri, this relationship doesn't seem that deep to me. It's only a mentioned one, never really shown.

Steelwhirl

Yeah, Windkin was super sweet in the "little palace" chapter - maybe it really was meeting Tyldak that sent him down the path of bitchiness?
Maybe he even sees a connection to his father in Door, and that's why he lets himself become attached (or whatever the right word is) to him? Also, even though they chain him up, don't the humans worship him like a god? That could also have affected his ego/self-image, right?

And yeah, that story with just him flying to Sorrow's End was amazing, so beautifully told - it's my favourite out of all the New Blood stories.

On a slightly evil note, I'd love for Tyldak and Windkin to meet, just so Tyldak can go, "Removable wings? He can fly just as high and as far as me, and he's still got usable arms? Why didn't I think of that?!"

Songflower

I just thought of this now. Door was manipulating Windkin by pulling him around by strings he already had...the little part of him that I suspect feels that he is "above" the others on account of his flying ability (possibly stemming from some bitterness and latent feelings of not being appreciated). Door got into his head and saw that character flaw that he has, and used it to mess with him. I suspect this would tend to make him even more bitter, really.

Steelwhirl

Oh yes, Door was totally manipulating him! And if Windkin is blind to the flaws in his own character, then he might just feel like he was dumped or betrayed by Door for no good reason? I've not read New Blood for a while, so my memory of what actually happens towards the end is very hazy, sorry. :oops: But yeah, bitterness could definitely lead to lashing out at others (or kicking them in the head Wink )!

Windkin is starting to remind me more and more of Edward in Twilight - all he needs to do now is fall in love with a nice elf girl and tell her that "You're my personal flavour of dreamberries". :roll:

Quiver

Yeah...I can't it get into my mind, Windkin and a [i:ab7602dfd4]girl[/i:ab7602dfd4]. To me he's intersexed and asexual. It's just typical that he's completely unresponsive to Wavelet's advances. He doesn't seem to have a sexual dimension at all despite dressing like a poledancer. If he would get some special company, I would hope it would be someone who knows something about fashion.

dewshine_lover_1

I think because of my absolute devotion to my favorite character dewy, i think that i have a slight biasness for windkin. Not only was he a fat adorable cub, and a handsome young twenty something, but he had alot of unfair things happen to him in his life. First, he is kidnapped as an infant. Than, he meets his sire, whom has had no interest in him from birth. Than in war his parents go into wrap stuff just to be forgotten by him, and the lonelyness he must have felt during that time. Than he and Audrey fall for each other just for her to be wounded and absorbed by the rocks, I would say he has alot to be introverted about. He is probably withdrawn and protective of himself.

He doesnt want anyone but his audrey. His parents are not around, the wolfriders arent around, the sunvillagers are out of sorts and not part of his true family on either side, so ... hes a bit melancholy (sp?)

Embala

Let's see what pictures I can bring back:

Quote:

Quote:
"lunakat

Minouche

rotflmaocgu Big_laugh

Vojira

Quote:

Yeah, I know what you mean.. He has spent too much time alone... Also, he is Tyldak's son after all, no wonder why he's a little moody, it's in his genes with no wolf-blood to counter it..!

Ambient reads it as:

''Tyldak is genetically hardwired to be moody (and just plain unlikeble).'' Big_laugh This is now my headcanon.

Trollbabe

This character reminds me of Windkin as a baby ("Bumper", Dewshine called him)
http://urusei.wikia.com/wiki/Ten

In the Urusei Yatsura anime series, Jariten or "Ten" is an alien baby who floats around, followed by synthesizer tones.

Here is a clip of him (mild adult content)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvcDuAax0e8

Embala

Cute! ... and a bit like Bumper Wink

Trollbabe

How long since Windkin has seen any of his three parents?

RedheadEmber

I don't think he's seen either of them since Dewshine and Scouter left Sorrow's End. (And at that time he'd pretty much forgotten about them).

Embala

Would make 10,000 years more or less ... and as an immortal he has spent them awake most probably.

Thinking about it ... does he remember his parents at all? More than a very vague "childhood" memory? When they meet again in TFQ ... how will they interact? Will they be familiar at all? Even Dewshine has problems to remember Windkin's young adult days ... and it is only 500+ years for her.

Trollbabe

(Spoilers for Final Quest: Prologue)

Even though the relationship between Windkin and his biological father is resolved, we never really see him reunite with his mother and foster-father.

Allura

Even though the relationship between Windkin and his biological father is resolved, we never really see him reunite with his mother and foster-father.

Hopefully, we get to see more of it in the coming issues.

Embala

Take a careful look at the scene where Chitter's new name is mentioned, Trollbabe. You'll see Windkin reunite with Dewshine in the middle. And Scouter watches the scene with joy from the left corner.

Trollbabe

Yes, you're right, those are his parents.

Embala

Windkin did not only reconcile with his sire but lives with his grandfather now. He really builds up family connections. I think he needs this settled, friendly and supportive elders to find his place in the tribe - even when he has many times their biological age. And he got his love back. Smile Looks like the loner will become social ... a bit.

This new Windkin might earn a much higher rank in my character listing. Treated by Wendy he his much more likable than in his Forevergreen adventures ...

... by look, character and motivation.

Though his hair makes me prefer Dart's wild and gravity-denying mane ... it looks so artificial for me.

And I will miss his snake skins they gave him a Glider vibe.

lunakat

I think Windkin has dreds. I miss his old look (from Hidden Years)- he was really cute then! But for some reason, I do like his extremely pronounced chin. I had a friend once with a chin like that, and I'm consequently fond of the look. It's got an awkward yet handsome charm.

Embala

Dreads? Maybe ... it STILL looks artificial, tho. No structure, just weird locks.

The pronounced chin makes him individual. Interesting. And it enhances his Glider heritage. I like that the elves still have individual features ... and possibly show a variety of body types again.

Thornbrake

I am in love with Windkin. I love that he's not a cookie-cutter elf. He's not about joy and light and unquestioning love. He's capable of brooding and even revenge. In a way, he's the opposite of Newstar, the "elfiest" elf. And yet, he's not "bad" or "evil."

To its credit, even the Forevergreen storyline captured this perfectly (regardless of how the character looked when depicted by the weird Barry Blair/Colin Chan/Angel art style). The fact that such a character exists is a testament to Wendy and Richard's character-development prowess.

Oh and I ADORE the way Wendy has depicted his hair. Windblown and angular...perfect. I had the same impression as Lunakat: dreads. Clearly not the same nappy and wondeful kind of dreads that humans get, but a beautiful elf versoin, as honestly only Wendy could depict.

He's in the same vein as Rayek. I want to see a LOT more of him in Final Quest proper.

VanessaAnneBlumenberg

Oh i have no doubt we will be seeing alot of Windkin in FQ. I like the fact he is reconnecting with family and Ahdri again. I do agree that he is alot like Rayek in some ways but even when he forgot some of his past and kin for a time he was able to reconnect to them, also he was accepted and loved for who he is as well.

Embala

Get me right. I like Windkin's edgy character as I like his edgy features. I even have "a crush" on this type (in fiction Wink) when his behavior and actions are well founded and comprehensible. No need to be always happy-go-lucky or win a prize for Mr. Nice-Guy.

In NB and Fire-Eye he turned into the "he's-a-Glider-therefore-he's-in-foul-mood-and-mean" guy ... neither fun nor interesting. In TFQS, pictured by Wendy, he got back an understandable background - that's all I need to welcome him. Windkin promises to become a really interesting character. Thumbs_up

VanessaAnneBlumenberg

Windkin is definilty one of those who are alot more complex than many of the other elves, and it is always fun to see each of those layers that make up the sum of who he is.

RedheadEmber

Okay, gotta ask!
Am I the only one who found his tiny "M-Mother" rather funny?

Trollbabe

Not amusing, so much as making me wonder if he was going to go Two-Edge on us.

Rob

This thread should now be attached to the character bio at http://www.elfquest.com/windkin/ and have Windkin as the OP/index portrait. SEEMS to have worked...

Heather

I can't believe no one has started talking about his "comely butt" here!
10616411_10153224893527564_5322262632561767334_n

travelbug

One of the hottest elfs :D

lunakat

I figure Windkin's dreds are a result of living in the desert, full of dust and dry wind- and never using a comb. He didn't start out with dreds. The Windkin of 'Hidden Years' (as drawn and painted by Wendy) was just adorable. I wish he had stayed that way.

But yes... his butt is comely.

I now have the hots for Mender. I like badass Mender. Badass Mender is badass.

NEXT PAGE