ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Windkin

Heather

I don't see those as dreds, I just see his hair as curly, like his mom and grandsire.

Tavie

Can't talk. Ogling.

Butt.... :!!

lunakat

Not like Dewshine- those are thick clumpy curls- the sort of thing that happens if you forget to wash or use a comb for a decade.

Thornbrake

Windkin's profile has been updated to reflect the events of Final Quest #5!

Thornbrake

lunakat said: Not like Dewshine- those are thick clumpy curls- the sort of thing that happens if you forget to wash or use a comb for a decade.

I think @Heather was saying that in these last two issues, Windkin's hair is looking less dready and more bouncy. He's probably taking more baths and getting conditioning tips from Clearbook. ;-)

lunakat

I believe that should be mentioned in his profile!

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: the sort of thing that happens if you forget to wash or use a comb for a decade.

Or a century... or a millenia...

lunakat said: I believe that should be mentioned in his profile!

"Living with Clearbrook has taught him the importance of prober maintaining of long hair."

RedheadEmber

Hello, my name is Redhead Ember and I sometimes get random thought. :-j

So... Windkin lost his wolfblood and with it his mortality and heightened senses (at one point during NB he remarks on how he'd be able to scent something if he still had it) one thing he definitely didn't lose was the Now of Wolf Thought. Come one; most of the Wolfriders at least tend to remember their own names!

Startear

I think Venka mentioned in Dreamtime that she too could do the Now of Wolf Thought, that it is more of a skill and cultural thing than something that necessarily comes with the wolf blood.

Eyeshigh

When you life alone for a very long time, I can imagine you could forget your name, ;).
Haha. You don't go telling yourself: "What am I going to do today, Windkin? Fly, swim, sit and do nothing?" ;))

RedheadEmber

Thing is; it hasn't really been that long. The Fall of Sorrow's End happened simultaneously with 'Shards'. The birth of Korafay and Leetah's and Skywise's subsequent "discovery" of Windkin in Sorrow's End happened somewhere around 10 years after that. Not really a lot of time for a 10,000 year-old guy.

Eyeshigh said: Haha. You don't go telling yourself: "What am I going to do today, Windkin? Fly, swim, sit and do nothing?"

"Sit and do nothing is boring, and I can't swim coz I'm in the middle of a frikkin' desert!"

Eyeshigh

Haha, yes he was in the desert, but he could fly to open water :)

Thought it was longer??, but 10 years alone..... 0_0, I think I could cope with 1 month, but then I would like to talk to some one or thing.

Edit: But he left Kahvi right after he made her pregnant. And Teir is.... how old? 30+? (In HY I always thought he was much older them Ember.) Any way, I don't think he really forgot his name, just wasn't used to it anymore.

travelbug

They have made Teir a lot younger.
In HY he tells Ember he's been at Howling Rock for eight eights of eights

lunakat

travelbug said: They have made Teir a lot younger.

I choose to resolve this inconsistency by believing that Tier is just not that great at math.

travelbug

Haha, that must be it @lunakat ;)

some inconsistensies will occur as Elfquest is an ever evolving story, going forwards and being published bit by bit.
Some author who spends years and years writing a grand novel has the luxury of being able to edit things if they change and grow into something different on its way before publishing the whole thing.
Wendy and Richard did not. A few tweaks now and then may be needed

sulken

isn't the now of wolfthought and the transient memory of immortality basically the same?

And maybe the ability to forget (and to feel lonely, because you remember for how long you have been alone) kicks in early with Windkin.

Elves forget things quite easily, unless the memory is reinforced again and again (the Wolfriders forgot, that humans can be dangerous in Wolfriders. And loosing the ability to forget and making him thereby human was Cutter accused Rayek of.

lunakat

Maybe that's why they need things like a 'Mother of Memory,' a 'Howlkeeper,' the 'Egg' and the 'Scroll of Colors'?

RedheadEmber

Yes. He'd been a Howling Rock for that long. But before that...

Eyeshigh said: Edit: But he left Kahvi right after he made her pregnant. And Teir is.... how old? 30+? (In HY I always thought he was much older them Ember.) Any way, I don't think he really forgot his name, just wasn't used to it anymore.

And then he went back to Sorrow's End and lived there for a while before going off to the Forevergreen. During that time (same time as 'Shards') the village fell to the humans and when Windkin returned - having been sent there by Door on some errand - he found it in ruins and thought Ahdri had been killed, which made him sorta crazy...

I kinda got the impression that the travels of Kahvi, Tyldak and Windkin, Tyldak's death and Kahvi's subsequent impregnation by Windkin happened several years - as in centuries - before the Reappearance of the Palace. Sure, Kahvi went off to 'seek her own end' after Tyldak died (with the short two-year break to wait for her child to be born) and we know that she must've died probably around the time of Reappearance, give and take a few years. Lehrigen died as an old 80-year-old man some... 30-40 years after Reappearance and he would've had to have a certain age to kill her... but for just how many years did Kahvi wander around 'seeking her own end'?

Eyeshigh

Ah, yes you' re right... that storyline often slips my mind. So he was alone for 10 to 15 years.... still a long time. And he said he wanted to fly under a rock to be with Ahdri, so enough ingredients to be forgetting things ;).

RedheadEmber

Eyeshigh said: And he said he wanted to fly under a rock to be with Ahdri,

Good thing Skywise and Leetah turned up before he did so. Would be quite a bummer to arrive in the Palace as a spirit only to learn that "Ahdri. She's not here. She's hanging out with your grandfather down in the troll tunnels, being very much alive."

Thornbrake

Teir is hundreds or thousands of years older.

Here's a quick timeline: Windkin adventured with Kahvi and Tyldak during the Wolfriders's long sleep. He headed back to the Sun Village after that. Teir is born.

Hundreds/thousands of years later, Windkin goes on Forevergreen quest and Ember's Wolfriders encounter Teir on the plains, living a solitary life after his adopted father died.

Roughly 10 years later, Leetah and Skywise discover Windkin languishing in the Sun Village ruins.

The events of the current issues of Final Quest are 20-30 after that.

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: Teir is hundreds or thousands of years older.

Cutter and his cubs really like older partners!

Tam

What's leading you to come up with this particular timeline? 10,000 years is a LOT of time to play in...the only indication in the actual timeline of Windkin's presence at the Sun Village is the Reappearance mark. We don't know how long Windkin, Kahvi, and Tyldak adventured together, or when they did, unless I'm missing something. He went back to the Sun Village eight years after the Reappearance, but that all I'm really finding...

RedheadEmber

Tam said: We don't know how long Windkin, Kahvi, and Tyldak adventured together, or when they did, unless I'm missing something

Wendy stated somewhere that the Travels of the Trio was during the Long Sleep, and Windkin was back in Sorrow's End by the time of Reappearance.

Thornbrake

Tam said: What's leading you to come up with this particular timeline?

I asked Wendy. :)

RedheadEmber said: Wendy stated somewhere that the Travels of the Trio was during the Long Sleep, and Windkin was back in Sorrow's End by the time of Reappearance.

Yes, Wendy confirmed that Windkin's adventures with Kahvi and Tyldak happened during the long sleep. It had to be towards the latter end of the sleep just based on the medieval clothing of the humans that shot Tyldak down. But that could still be hundreds or thousands of years before the events of the Forevergreen and Final Quest.

The main point is that Teir can easily be centuries old without any discrepancy with earlier stories.

Tam

But he could easily NOT be centuries old, unless Wendy confirmed that as well?

RedheadEmber

True. From the new issue six preview we know that Kahvi first met Lehrigen shortly before Reappearance, but how long was that after the birth of Teir?
Though he's definitely older than in his 30es. There was a 20+ year timeskip during the special, and he isn't a 10-year-old kid in that scene before the birth of Korafay.

Eyeshigh

So, that must have been after the war of the Go-Backs and the Sunfolk and maybe before the Sunfolk started to collect pebbles in a jar?

RedheadEmber

Definitely after the war of the Go-Backs and the Sunfolk. Probably at the same time as the Sunfolk started to collect pebbles in a jar, or maybe back when first Rainsong and Woodlock, and then Wing was still doing it.

Thornbrake

Tam said: But he could easily NOT be centuries old, unless Wendy confirmed that as well?

Why wouldn't he be, if it was established that he'd been at Howling Rock alone for eight and eights of years?

Tam

Not saying he CAN'T be, just that we can't really pinpoint when in the timeline Windkin traveled with Kahvi other than a 9000~ year window. :p

Eyeshigh

.....that is a large window! Lol.

Thornbrake

Tam said: Not saying he CAN'T be, just that we can't really pinpoint when in the timeline Windkin traveled with Kahvi other than a 9000~ year window.

Well, as I think we can say it was in the latter part of the long sleep based on the humans who shot Tyldak down. They were clearly a more medieval culture than any humans were when the Wolfriders first went to sleep. But other than that, you're right, we can't say with any more specificity.

travelbug

In my mind I figured Kahvi had Teir, left him and searched for her end. Lehringen killed her.
It didn't cross my mind she'd spend thousands of years finding someone who would kill her.
I see her as a more determined elf than that.

But of course, Thornbrake, what you said, makes much more sense.
I think Windkin says in the Special that he met up with Kavhi and Tyldak at the end of the Wolfirders long sleep?
The end of 10 000 years could range from 50 to 3000 years or so, I guess

RedheadEmber

travelbug said: In my mind I figured Kahvi had Teir, left him and searched for her end. Lehringen killed her.
It didn't cross my mind she'd spend thousands of years finding someone who would kill her.
I see her as a more determined elf than that.

She wanted someone who would kill her in the right way, not simply someone who would kill her.

lunakat

That's very Go Back of her. She wanted to die- but she wanted a glorious death, I'm guessing- in the traditional fashion. That rules out suicide.

RedheadEmber

Yeah! She could've just let those humans who shot Tyldak kill her. Then Again; that would sorta indicate that she was the kind of person who'd go "Waaah! My love is deeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! I wanna diiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!" Which, she isn't! Not to mention the fact that she wanted a child with a trace of Tyldak's blood and dying would rather defeat that purpose.

lunakat

Right- plus she had to get Tyldak to safety and help him die peacfully first.

RedheadEmber

She could've let the humans kill her while she and Windkin were avenging Tyldak.

lunakat

Except that she wanted his kid.

RedheadEmber

Exactly. Hence my:

RedheadEmber said: Not to mention the fact that she wanted a child with a trace of Tyldak's blood and dying would rather defeat that purpose.

lunakat

Put in my place! :)>-

RedheadEmber

Just a thought:

Imagine if Windkin and Venka recognized. Then Teir would be both brother and uncle to the child.

Blackbird

Wow, that would be amazing and a little weird ;)
Like father, like son, maybe the thing Tyldak saw in Kahvi, he will see in Venka? Have they even met? More than when she was a baby. That would be an mindblowing recognizion for me, being one of my top-5 what-if recognizions.

RedheadEmber

From the cover of issue 7 we pretty much know that they'll eventually meet each other.

Both Windkin and Venka would've been babies the only time they could've ever met, which is while Kahvi, Venka and Aroree hung out in Sorrow's End waiting for Venka to be old enough to cross the Vastdeep Water.