ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Edible Elfquest

Heather

Post your Elfquest inspired recipes, cakes, cookies or anything edible that was influenced by the World of Two Moons. I thought about calling this 'Cooking with Cutter' but that would just be a lot of recipes on how to dress a kill and tartare. 

Tam

*gigglesnort*

Tavie

I now feel very sorry that I've never even THOUGHT of cooking anything inspired by the WoTM.

I will concoct some sort of dreamberry-pie-inspired confection immediately. Something with blueberries and alcohol, I should imagine...

Wait. Not low carb. ARGH. OK, raw meat it is.

MrsGrizzley

*laugh*  I agree @Tavie I wish that I'd thought to let ElfQuest inspire my baking long ago.  But sadly, I suck.

So... if we're substituting something Earthly in place of Dreamberries... what would be your go-to berry for the job?  Blueberries seem like a logical conclusion given their size and shape, but they're not quite the right color given that they're *blue* and not that luscious purple color.

Any ideas?

Tavie

So... if we're substituting something Earthly in place of
Dreamberries... what would be your go-to berry for the job?  Blueberries
seem like a logical conclusion given their size and shape, but they're
not quite the right color given that they're *blue* and not that
luscious purple color.

The eternal question!
I think it would have to be some sort of mixture to "purple" the blueberries. Maybe blueberries and raspberries mixed?

Leanan

Boysenberries? They look different, but if they're in jam or marmalade that won't be visible.

Tavie

HOLD ON! There are purple gooseberries!

purple1

MrsGrizzley

I know I've seen boysenberry syrup somewhere... but I can't recall ever seeing a jam or such with them...

I've actually considered adding blueberries to my cookies in some form or another... mostly 'cause my cookies are so amazingly awesome that I wonder if I can actually break Reality by stuffing even more awesome into them...  *snirk*

Leanan

HOLD ON! There are purple gooseberries!

Perfect!

Tam

I vote for lingonberries. :D http://www.minnesota-visitor.com/images/lingonberry-recipes.jpg

MrsGrizzley

Ooooh... those berries look gorgeous...  I dunno where or how to find them, but damn they look gorgeous... both the lingonberries and the purple gooseberries.

Sometimes living in backwoods East Texas sucks.

Tam

East Texas, yo! *high fives* I don't live there anymore, but I grew up there.

Lingonberries are super popular in Sweden and Finland, and they grow in America in the northwest. They're pretty tart, so they're usually served as a jam. Interestingly, you can get some at IHOP, on Swedish Crepes.

Tavie

@Tam - ooh, I am severely pro-lingonberry! One of the best times in my life was when I visited friends in Småland and we went lingonberry-picking in the woods behind their house and then made our own jam. HEAVEN. Or rather, VALHALLA.

Also, currants. I LOVE currants. Would black currants work as dreamberry-substitutes?

Some experimentation is in order. We need some sort of dreamberry tart-off competition...

Heather

I seriously am digging everyone's ideas here. A tart-off or pie competition sounds so fantastic! I am thinking I need to figure out a dreamberry crumble!

I also lived for about 20 years near West Texas, but I know it is a totally different creature from East Texas! ;)

faeriegirl

And of course lingonberries (the jam, and other stuffs) can be bought at IKEA! :D

Thornbrake

And of course lingonberries (the jam, and other stuffs) can be bought at IKEA! :D

I was thinking the same thing @faeriegirl! 

Leanan

But... lingonberries are red!

Nibblet

Blackcurrants are purple when squished.

Rob

Plain ol grapes look closest to my eye. Those gooseberries look pretty damn right to me, though too. Blackcurrants have the look, but are very nearly black when ripe (like Nibblet said, the juice is purple. Any Brit knows this because we are all addicted to it in school). The Blueberries are close, but rather too familiar to "work". Elderberries look right, but are tiny. :)

MrsGrizzley

So I would guess that the answer would be: any berries you can get your hands on and perform the mental gymnastics to make "work" inside your head.  *chuckle*  Makes sense to me.

Heather

@MrsGrizzley-Me as well! I need to get baking!

RedheadEmber

faeriegirl said: And of course lingonberries (the jam, and other stuffs) can be bought at IKEA! :D

But then we'd have to assemble them ourselves...

Heather

@RedheadEmber don't type stuff like that when I'm drinking my tea!

RedheadEmber

@Heather, don't drink tea while writing my comments!

MrsGrizzley

OKAY!!

I have more contenders for the Dreamberry Look Alike Contest!!!!

On this side, I have the relative of the Blackberry, the DEWBERRY!!! While it doesn't have the distinctive round and firm shape, it is locally available in my area and it does cook up to being that gorgeous purple color so associated with the Dreamberry.

As a side note, it also blends the name of a character I adopted into the Dreamberry lexicon because her hair is exactly that shade of berry purple. *chuckle*

And on the other side... we have the HUCKLEBERRY!!!! While it is not locally available, and in fact I thought it to be a creation of fiction originally, it does have the benefit of having that same round and firm shape that is associated with the Dreamberry.

We really need some brilliant baker to come up with some recipes now.

Heather

I am baking brownies today, but I need to get on the pie thing asap!

MrsGrizzley

Why can't berries be put into brownies? Seriously! Berries can be included in brownies!! *chuckle*

Leanan

MrsGrizzley said: Why can't berries be put into brownies? Seriously! Berries can be included in brownies!! *chuckle*

Would that make them... Brownberries!?

Heather

MrsGrizzley said: Why can't berries be put into brownies? Seriously! Berries can be included in brownies!! *chuckle*

You're quite right. I think after this batch, I will give that a go. However, a scoop of ice cream and "dreamberry" compote all on top of a brownie would make a smashing EQ sundae.

MrsGrizzley

@Leanan *blinks* *falls over laughing*

Songchaser

I love to cook and host parties, especially themed parties! It can be so much fun to come up with recipes that relate to a book I like. I recently met some people who forage for a lot of their food, so drawing on that plus the paleo, raw food and raw vegan trend, maybe there are some passable recipes to be found? Most of these recipes are pretty delicious, because they include some foods that wouldn't be widely available (sweet fruits, spices, sugars, salt, etc.) I don't imagine that's quite the case with the EQverse :)

So let's start with indigenous foods, since that makes the most sense. We know for sure that the Wolfriders dried their meat - a great way to preserve food through winters and definitely a basic and necessary technique. You can also preserve food in fat.

Easiest idea is probably "Eskimo ice cream", or Akutaq, basically just berries mixed with fat; occasionally mixed with roots, greens, fish, or other types of meat.
DSC_0129
http://sweetstateofmine.blogspot.com/2011/05/alaska-akutaq-eskimo-ice-cream.html

Another idea is the original energy bar, pemmican, which I think is definitely the most practical and worth the trouble.

pemmican
http://thenourishingcook.com/what-is-pemmican/

Take dried meat and grind it up with a mortar and pestle. Render some fat (you have to heat it so that you can mix it). Mix it all together, preferably with some dried berries for extra nutrition. You should have a dry, hard brick of protein and fat, and it'll keep a long-ass time. It's calorie-dense, light, and easy to pack, so it's great for taking on long hunts, too. If you get sick of it, then you can chop it up and add it to cooked stews or stir fry's with some foraged roots and greens. Some examples - cattails, mustard greens, or dandelions.

Bannock is another option. This is bread that does have to be cooked, but all it requires is ground up wild grains (any mix will do) and water. You don't even need an oven - you should be able to wrap the dough around a thick branch to cook it over a fire. Recipe: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/04/04/baking-in-the-wild-how-to-make-bannock-bread/

Since fire draws too much attention, probably a more realistic method of bread making for Wolfriders is dehydrating it. Grind a variety of seeds, again with a mortar and pestle. Simply mix the seed meal with water and allow the moisture to absorb. You'll wind up with a really thick paste. Spread out in cracker form and dry in the sun for a day or two. The thinner you spread it, the faster it will dry. Here's a recipe for people who get their seeds at stores:
http://www.therawtarian.com/basic-raw-cracker-recipe

Fermented food was super popular in American Indian culture, too. And dangerous. You can use animal skins to seal your preparations until you're ready to eat. Here's a site that talks about the different kinds of (kind of gross) fermented foods used by American Indians: http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional-diets/guts-and-grease

Here's a picture of auk birds being stuffed in a seal skin to ferment:
Kiviaq in seal
http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2012/02/kiviaq-auk-fermented-in-seal.html

Those are my thoughts for now, but I'm going to try to come up with a more palatable menu of paleo and raw food later:)

Thornbrake

I love this! There's a Game of Thrones cookbook. We should start an Elfquest one!

Songchaser

@Thornbrake that's such an awesome idea! The obsessive listmaker inside of me is going crazy.

The Gliders (The Royal)
It could be assumed they have an almost Medieval approach to food, given that they have a "butchery" (per the novelization), but they don't have agriculture. So fancier cooked meat dishes here, with particular attention to wild herbs and seasonings. Maybe even smoked meats, like sausages and smoked fish. Also, more about flavor and less about nutrition, so more of a focus on hors d'oeuvre type preparation.

The Go-Backs (The Pioneer)
The Go-Back diet would probably be similar to the Athabascan or Inuit tribes, depending on if they spent summers either fishing in rivers, or hunting seals or whales on the coast. Lots of stews and roasts here.

The Wolfriders (The Bodybuilder)
Salads using common edible plants, mushrooms, nuts and seeds, and raw preparations of wild game, fish, and eggs.

The Sun Villagers (The Vegetarian)
With agriculture, you can incorporate more common vegetables and grains and even have a Mesoamerican take (spicy!) - maybe not entirely true to the series, but I think corn would be a very realistic crop in those desert conditions. Since they have hardly any skilled huntsmen and they don't seem to raise livestock, I think it makes sense to focus mainly on cooked vegan recipes, with recommendations for meat additions.

Side note, I haven't gotten into Game of Thrones yet, but I used to love reading about Medieval life, especially the cuisine. I need to check out that cookbook! And maybe the series :)

RedheadEmber

Guess Wavedancer dishes would be quite fishy! :P

Songchaser

@RedheadEmber Yeah, I thought about that and while I know that the mer-elves are long gone, it still feels a little cannibalistic! haha

Thornbrake

Songchaser said: maybe not entirely true to the series, but I think corn would be a very realistic crop in those desert conditions

They DID have corn - at least baby corn.

Maleen Corn

Songchaser

@Thornbrake AWESOME! Thanks!

RedheadEmber

Songchaser said: @RedheadEmber Yeah, I thought about that and while I know that the mer-elves are long gone, it still feels a little cannibalistic! haha

Aren't the Wavedancers the mer-elves? And why would Wavedancers eating fish be cannibalistic?

Tavie

I wonder if the baby-teeth corn is the basis for the flour that's the basis for "my bread! my fresh-baked bread!"

bread

Thornbrake

@Tavie, one of my fav scenes. I guess she wouldn't have been as upset if were week-old stale bread. ;-)

Tavie

I love this elf. I wonder if she's still alive and living in the Palace and if there are baking facilities there. I'd say yes, the star-stuff of the Palace can be shaped into whatever, right? Although maybe they just take loaves of dough down to Treestump in the forges and have him slap it on a baker's peel...

Tavie

Oh god, delicious image in my head now for the cover of the cookbook. Treestump in a baker's hat and apron and ovenmitts, holding a big ol' pizza peel, removing it from the fire to present steaming loaves of sun-village bread...

Thornbrake

Tavie said: I love this elf.

There is a whole character thread devoted to her!

RedheadEmber

You guys are too funny!

Songchaser

@RedheadEmber I thought that the Wavedancers with mermaid tails ended up going away after that legal battle with the original creator? Anyway, I know, it's not actually cannibalistic, but my weird mind immediately goes to an image of Wolfriders eating wolves. haha

Maybe that cookbook section can be about how to do the different cuts for sashimi? A guide to common sea vegetables?

Songchaser

@Tavie @Thornbrake Well, NOW what is she supposed to do with her freshly jarred Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly?!

ChristinaRaibert

Songchaser said: @RedheadEmber I thought that the Wavedancers with mermaid tails ended up going away after that legal battle with the original creator?

*straightens her Unofficial WaveDancers Encyclopedia pin - courtesy of @RedheadEmber :D

Those are the Original WaveDancers by BMP - Tilaweed, Hyfus, Raenafel, Barmek - the tribe featured in the six ish "Search for the True Crown".

But the New WaveDancers - Brill, Spine, Snakeskin, Surge - have mer-elves too! Not that many nowadays, but still, there's Salt - their eldest - who sports a fish-tail. And Wavecatcher, in the Forevergreen, seemed to switch from tail to legs - though it might be effect of "leg fins" acting as "velcro legs". Farbright (Brill's possible mother) and Skimmer (Snakeskin's mother, Surge's lifemate) also had mer-tails. Hmm... maybe that was the reason why they were killed? Humans need no reason to hate elves, but Cutter said in regard to Timmain's snowy pelt that they "crave rarity" - and a fish-tailed "demon" ought to be quite a catch!

... and I can't believe I turned this from a discussion on Elfquest themed recipes to a wild brainstorming on the deaths of the WaveDancers. 'xcuse me, I need my fix. *tiptoes out of thread and goes back to re-read Discovery for like... the umpteenth time?*

MrsGrizzley

http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Preserves/ss/Prickly-Pear-Jam-A-Step-By-Step-Guide-And-Recipe.htm

It's REAL!!!!

RedheadEmber

I always just figured the tailed Wavedancers were tailed because of excessive flesh shaping...

Embala

@RedheadEmber YUP.

RedheadEmber

Right, back on topic:

It's all well and good to be speculating about what the Baker bakes her bread from, what does she bake it in?

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: It's all well and good to be speculating about what the Baker bakes her bread from, what does she bake it in?

Do you mean, like an oven? Or bakeware? Either way, I'm guessing adobe, clay and/or stone is involved.

Songchaser

MrsGrizzley said: It's REAL!!!!

Heck yeah it is, @MrsGrizzley!!

ChristinaRaibert said: *straightens her Unofficial WaveDancers Encyclopedia pin - courtesy of @RedheadEmber :D

@ChristinaRaibert Wowza, that pin really ought to be official! :D Thanks for straightening that out for me, I need to read that issue a little more closely!

RedheadEmber said: It's all well and good to be speculating about what the Baker bakes her bread from, what does she bake it in?

@Tavie @RedheadEmber
Earliest ovens were dated 29,000 BC, so definitely fits in to the low-tech EQverse! Ceramic or clay definitely makes the most sense for bread, and they probably also had Earth ovens. In fact, Rayek's little piggy probably got roasted in an earth oven!
piggy
I would think that the Gliders would have ovens, too, but without agriculture, I'm not sure what they'd really use them for ...

ChristinaRaibert

Songchaser said: @ChristinaRaibert Wowza, that pin really ought to be official! :D Thanks for straightening that out for me, I need to read that issue a little more closely!

Haha, you're welcome :D I love when I actually help people with WaveDancers references, since they're my favorite branch of EQ ^^

*ahem* Right, back on topic... hmm, if the baker is still alive by the time of Final Quest - it means she made a lifemating cake for Sunstream and Brill? :D

*runs, dodges* OkayokayokayIwaskidding! But really, the WaveDancers used to cook their food too (in earlier issuer you can see them cooking fish bits on spits) - wonder what it must have been like when they came in touch with the Sun Folk? Now I just can't shake from my head this image of Foam and the baker creating clams with bread crumbs :D

Tavie

Just stumbled across this amusing on-topic thread...

Embala

It was fun :D

RedheadEmber

Hillarious! This gem from Stargazer has to be the best!

Shoot giant bird.
Pluck feathers from and eat raw.
Extract self from clutches of batshit crazy anti-healer lady.
Do not repeat

Songchaser

@RedheadEmber My favorite, too!! :)

RedheadEmber

Especially the last part!
And when you think about it, the third part they did sort of repeat...

Trollbabe

Husband is on a bread-baking kick. I'll have to come up with a Sunfolk bread.

And I still wonder why a Wolfrider would steal a loaf of bread, having no idea whether it was food, laundry, or a very light rock.

Heather

Trollbabe said: And I still wonder why a Wolfrider would steal a loaf of bread, having no idea whether it was food, laundry, or a very light rock.

I would think their sense of smell would let them know it's something edible.