ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

For the Lost Pip

RedheadEmber

Because a lost pip deserves a thread too!

ChristinaRaibert said: @RedheadEmber - Yeah... and if Ardan Djarum was behind it (as I think) I seriously hope the guy met a very grisly end. We knew all along he was a murdering maniac, but killing an unborn baby is just too much.

My question: do we know that the pip was unborn?
Of course, Christina is the inoficial Wavedancer Encyclopedia around here, so I suppose she would know.

ChristinaRaibert

So glad to see a thread for Skimback and Sandsparkle's pip! *hugs the pip*

RedheadEmber said: My question: do we know that the pip was unborn?

That's tricky to say with any certainty, but Sandsparkle probably wasn't even a year into her pregnancy when Darshek went missing (her belly wasn't showing yet), so if the reason for the pip's death had something to do with Ardan Djarum or the plague spawn, yes, most likely the pip would be unborn. (Personally, I find it very hard to believe that even marooned, Ardan Djarum could stay in hiding for three years without getting himself killed!)

Skimback says that the joy was "briefly" theirs, and Spine that they "lost" the pip, but there's no indication of just how brief! Although for long-lived immortals such as the WaveDancers, it would be even more dramatically hard to lose a pip before it came to the world... making the "joy" Skimback mentions agonizingly brief indeed.

According to my estimation, "Turning Tide" should take place about two years after Shards, at the same time of Chitter's birth. Finding out whether Sandsparkle's pip was stillborn or died young would be of invaluable help settling out things in the timeline, as that'd tell us how much time was elapsed between "Turning Tide" and "The Discovery".

RedheadEmber

Oh... yeah... there was something about a plague.

I was just kinda wondering how Ardan Djarum could've killed the (unborn) pip without harming Sandsparkle. And then I had a really horrible mental image:

Sandsparkle being hit in the belly by a human weapon, Skimback desperately fighting to save her and the pip, but ultimately only being able to save his lifemate.

ChristinaRaibert

I'm thinking along the same lines, sadly :( If Ardan Djarum had seen Sandsparkle stand close to Darshek and mistook her for his mate, he might have lashed out at her thinking he could at the very least avenge his dead wife and not his son.

Maybe that's why Skimback was so ferociously determined to restore the Broken One in "The Discovery", even going as far as to challenge Surge's wrath. His powers had failed to save his baby, and he never wanted to fail again, to let down a suffering tribemate.

Also, Reef was a healer before Winnowill "broke" him. I'm not certain how familiar Skimback may be with the story of his past - my theory is that he was only born after the incident with Winnowill, because he says something on the lines of "the tale goes that he swam off...", as if it was something he had been told by his elders rather than something he actually remembers - but if he knew that Reef also had healing magic, then his restoration would have bestowed three "mature" healers on the WaveDancers. To Skimback it must have felt like there'd no longer be the risk that a pip could not be saved again.

(My sense is also that Surge somehow got himself injured chasing Ardan Djarum, and Snakeskin had to tend to him, which is why he couldn't lend his magic to help Skimback with the baby. If they had worked together, maybe, chances would have been higher... but Snakeskin is less experienced, having only come into his own powers - possibly stronger than Skimback's, but somewhat underveloped - only in recent times.)

Just my two cents...

RedheadEmber

If Ardan Djarum was/is anything like the Djun I'm not even sure he'd need a reason to hurt Sandsparkle.
He'd probably just think "Demon! DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

Embala

There's a soothing thought for Elves - their spirits actually survive. The little one is save in the Palace. I'm sure Sandsparkle can call her pip and share their parental love.

ChristinaRaibert

Embala said: There's a soothing thought for Elves - their spirits actually survive. The little one is save in the Palace. I'm sure Sandsparkle can call her pip and share their parental love.

That's one scene I would have liked to see in Discovery... still hoping that it'll be squeezed somewhere in the Final Quest. Even just a small panel with them reaching out for the baby's spirit... *crosses fingers*

ChristinaRaibert

So, since EQ still hasn't given Skimback and Sandsparkle's baby a name, I went ahead and made my version. Until we see the little tyke's spirit swimming in the Palace, for me it's...

Pip

... Pip all the way! And yeah, I know it's a dumb name, but I wanted to make it a pun on the fact that s/he was unnamed in the series, so I gave him/her a not-name. I also drew Pip purposefully androgynous - you can imagine him/her any gender you want, really :) Appearance wise, I gave this little gold fish his father's beautiful golden skin and his mother's sand-colored hair (I know that Sandsparkle's hair is technically ginger in Discovery but I always envisioned her with the sand-blonde hair she had in WD#1, soo...)

Yeah... and if Ardan Djarum was behind it (as I think) I seriously hope the guy met a very grisly end.

Yeah, well, seems I got more than I bargained for. I don't think even an a*****e like Ardan deserved the end he got - and I still feel bad for him reading FQ#4. "Be careful what you wish for", indeed, thank you Wendy XD But with all this done and said, I won't miss him, though. I'd much rather miss Pip. *hugs Pip*

Embala

*hugs and loves*

RedheadEmber

Beautiful little Pip!

Sadachbia

I had surmised that Sandsparkle had a miscarriage due to stress, which is still tragic but a little less so.

I'm just wondering when she and Skimback are going to Recognise again. If it didn't "take" the first time, shouldn't their genes push them to try a second time?