ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Reefs magical powers?

AceQuester

I can't remember wherer but i remember that there has been said that Reef had magical powers too. That he was a healer too. Can somebody help me confirm that?
And if so, do you think that his magical powers helped the other healers to restore his body and mind?
And will his magical powers return to him? And if so, what will make it happen? Will it be a traumatic event where he has to save someone? Or will it be when he has to confront Winnowills spirit when she get loose? The ultimate revenge?

Embala

AceQuester said: Can somebody help me confirm that?

It's in the Wavedancers saga. Reef's story is told here: http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/WDa/_WaveDancers_page=1#_145#

ChristinaRaibert

@AceQuester - Yep, that's correct. Reef was one of the three healers living at Crest Point when the WaveDancers first settled there, the others being Skimmer and a third nameless WaveDancer male who died some undetermined time after their first run-in with humans (see my unofficial WaveDancers timeline and the list of nameless WaveDancers where Embala made me realize that the third healer had a face - of sorts, since we only see the back of his head, but still :P)

In fact, it was because of his powers that Winnowill attacked him - mistaking his touch for Leetah's. Reef had found her writhing and miserable, short after Tyldak dropped her on that island at the end of SABM, and instinctively reached out to heal her. Hardly a wise thing to do with Winnowill - but Reef didn't really know any better.

That his powers may have touched the Palace's magic and contributed to restore him to sanity is a possibility... after all we've seen little of his healing process in the Prologue, and nothing at all in Discovery.

Personally, I think he'll recover his magic, yes - but first he must come to terms with all the wrong done to him and to how it changed him inside. Basically, he'd first need to heal himself before he can once more heal others. But that's just my opinion.

Embala

Many questions ...

AceQuester said: do you think that his magical powers helped the other healers to restore his body and mind?

Well, never thought about this but I don't think he was able to help in any way. It's rather the other way round. I have the suspision that his own healing powers - and his fear to be touched, changed by a healer once again - were the reason that Skimmer failed on him. Maybe his own fear and mental confusion made him "block" her instinctively with his remaining own skills.

AceQuester said: And will his magical powers return to him? And if so, what will make it happen? Will it be a traumatic event where he has to save someone?

I hope his powers will be restored. and I hope for him that it will be a peaceful experiance, not forced but blooming. More like Leetah when she sponanously healed Rayek's lame arm with a simple hug.

AceQuester said: Or will it be when he has to confront Winnowills spirit when she get loose? The ultimate revenge?

Thinks ... nope. For some reason I cannot see "Reef" and "revenge" in the same sentence. ;)

... just my 2 cents that popped up in mind. :)

ChristinaRaibert

Embala said: Well, never thought about this but I don't think he was able to help in any way. It's rather the other way round. I have the suspision that his own healing powers - and his fear to be touched, changed by a healer once again - were the reason that skimmer failed on him. Maybe his own fear and mental confusion made him "block" her instinctively with his remained own skills.

@Embala - Good point there. In his crazed state, he probably was afraid that to be touched by a healer would make things worse/more painful. That, and he could have absorbed some of Winnowill's own fear when she lashed out at him... I'm thinking of a Harry Potter twist here. Because the last thing he vividly recalls before "madness" is her fear of a healer's touch, he shared the same fear - being too confused to know just *what* had brought the madness upon him.

I'll have to re-read the missing chapters, but I remember that when Darshek was rescued, it was the Broken One who suggested something on the line that healing could be used as a weapon, and Skimback thus got the idea to attack those "plague spawn" critters with anti-healing. Sad, but fitting when you consider all the Broken One had been through, that he could only think of healing as a painful and dangerous experience.

AceQuester

Hi,
Both tnx alot. Everything is coming back again in my mind :)
Interesting points of views.
Of course i hope Reef will experience his magical powers in a blooming loving way but there wouldn't be a great story if Wendy didn't surprise us with the unexpected. So i'm already preparing for the worst ;) haha

Embala

Better is! ^^

But we know Wendy always balanced the hardship and grief with beautiful moments - surprises us with unexpected beauty and comfort. So we can hope for both - great exitement and great loveliness. :)

RedheadEmber

Well... in my head canon he spent the twenty-odd years Sunstream was living with the Wavedancers in a lovely three-mating with Sunstream and Brill, gradually healing through their love.
When it became time for Sunstream to return to the Holt Reef of course helped transform him.