ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

FQ Issue 2-**Spoilers**

Heather

What an issue! A lot of what I thought was going to happen did happen.

I know to some the recognition between Ember and Teir may be the main issue, but for me, it is the death of Krim. I was expecting it (as were many), I was expecting Sust to get injured before hand, but damn if it wasn't a glorious way to go! She got the death she wanted.
And of course, I had been wondering if "Go-Back" had meant something more and obviously it does. So now I am left with tears in my eyes and a question in my mind. What and/or who did Krim see that made her realize it's more than the Palace? Is this why Pike saw Skot's spirit after he died? Was Skot trying to communicate something to him? And since we have seen Skot's spirit since then, why hasn't he said anything more if he did?
I have a lot to process, so while I do want to post more, I need to wait until more thoughts get sorted in my mind, so I don't just brain dump.
And as for the art and coloring, loved it as always. Particularly Sonny's coloring of Mender's eyes in the dark! Oy Vey!

Songchaser

At 12:02 am, I thought - "Hey, I wonder if that comic is available online?" and it was, so I gleefully downloaded it. And then read it. In less than 20 frikkin' minutes! I totally blew my wad, and now I have to wait two whole months until the next one! Talk about premature exhilaration! Damn. I am never doing that again. (Spoiler Alert: In two months, I do the exact same thing.)

My review: This issue was pretty thrilling for me, and that actually really surprises me. My love for Elfquest was at its peak from 1992 to 1996. The story and characters definitely changed a lot when Shards started, and I really began to lose interest. So I haven't read many of the issues about Ember's tribe, and I really haven't had the desire to - but this issue has made me rethink that choice. That may not seem like an astoundingly positive review, but it really is the best possible outcome I could have ever imagined. I am definitely going back online to catch up on all of the issues now!!!

(I will say that this issue is killing me on the Strongbow/Moonshade front - Strongbow is definitely my favorite character in the whole series, and I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!)

Thornbrake

@Songchaser I've been checking Dark Horse Digital and not seeing it!

Songchaser

@Thornbrake WEIRD! I have a fancy shmancy iPad, so maybe that makes a difference? Or maybe it's set to release according to your timezone? I'm Central!

Thornbrake

Songchaser said: I will say that this issue is killing me on the Strongbow/Moonshade front - Strongbow is definitely my favorite character in the whole series, and I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!)

Wait, are you talking about issue #1 or issue #2?

Songchaser said: I have a fancy shmancy iPad, so maybe that makes a difference? Or maybe it's set to release according to your timezone? I'm Central!

I've been checking on my iPad and via the web on my computer. So far, on issue #2, just issue #1 and the Final Quest Special.

Songchaser

@Thornbrake Issue #2 for sure. Are you sure it isn't your time zone?

(Sorry, just realized I posted my own review, and this thread is for linking to official reviews. Oops.)

Thornbrake

Ok, it JUST showed up, after much refresing. Buying it now!

Tam

DYING. OMG. HOW WILL I LIVE UNTIL MAY.

Songchaser

@Thornbrake Yay! But how weird is that??

@Tam SRSLY.

Tam

@Songchaser SRS BSNS

I can't wait for more people to read it so we can get the discussion going. :D

Tam

OMG YOU GUYS

YOU GUYS OMG

I've already read it, and you should all get your Dark Horse copies now, so you can read it and then discuss with meeeeeeeeeeeee.

Mkal

Wow...just...wow

Mkal

I have a feeling that there will be some serious discussions today...

Tam

I would just start a new discussion thread, but I dunno if it'll be this one, or a new one! And I'm just flailing around. (insert Kermitflail.gif here)

Stefan

Ahh.. I'll have to wait to read it. Question though, do Cutter and co have a cameo in this issue or is it all Le Ember's tribe?

Heather

At the very end. One panel, it's good. Says a lot in a moment.

Mkal

@Heather The wolf-friend laying down next to them really pulled at the heart strings and got those waterworks going.

Yngvar

Leave it to Pike to make a chuckleworthy comment about his lifemate's death, though. Yes, you just know they will. :)

Heather

@mkal Exactly. For me that just pushed me over the edge. It's hard to even look at.

Heather

@yngvar I know! But that's a reason they were great together. Her calling him "rock-skull" was perfect.

Joellyn_Auklandus

@Mkal -- Don't think that's a wolf. Remember that Lehrigen always has one of his hunting dogs when he travels. That's probably Shuyi -- which explains why he is lying with his dead master. Dogs do indeed grieve that way.

Tavie

Heather said: I had been wondering if "Go-Back" had meant something more and obviously it does. So now I am left with tears in my eyes and a question in my mind. What and/or who did Krim see that made her realize it's more than the Palace?

This was *THE* moment in the issue for me, too. What did she mean? What else is there to "go back" to?

It was a good death and I love, love, LOVED how her last moment with Lehrigan - it was so true to her character, full of humor. They died together, laughing, but also knowing that not only did Krim die in glorious battle, but Kahvi died well, too. I think this is the best "ending" we could hope for for Krim.

I still feel for Sust and Pike, though. A great loss, even knowing her Go-Back nature relished it.

The Recognition was delicious - and we get another soul name for our collection - a great one, evoking the word "zeal", perfect for the Ember we all know still lurks beneath the current chiefly broodiness. I'm worried for her but the fact that she's not yet calling in the cavalry in the form of Sunstream and the Palace brigade make me wonder. What's up her sleeve that she's so confident she's not heading to her death?

Tavie

Oh, my god, I almost forgot - THAT SWORD THRUST.

OWWWWW.

Joellyn_Auklandus

I'm so pleased with how Lehrigen went out. There is redemption for anyone who seeks it. And for him to have died WITH Krim…hand in hand - what a kindness on her part. Completely satisfying on a whole lot of levels.

Thornbrake

Mkal said: The wolf-friend laying down next to them really pulled at the heart strings and got those waterworks going.

OMG right! That's Shuyi, Lehrigan's dog. TEARS!

Thornbrake

Joellyn_Auklandus said: I'm so pleased with how Lehrigen went out. There is redemption for anyone who seeks it. And for him to have died WITH Krim…hand in hand - what a kindness on her part. Completely satisfying on a whole lot of levels.

Tavie said: It was a good death and I love, love, LOVED how her last moment with Lehrigan - it was so true to her character, full of humor. They died together, laughing, but also knowing that not only did Krim die in glorious battle, but Kahvi died well, too. I think this is the best "ending" we could hope for for Krim.

Could not agree more! Those three panels of Krim and Lehrigan fading were SO perfectly executed. Gripping, painful and yet absolutely satisfying.

Thornbrake

Tavie said: I'm worried for her but the fact that she's not yet calling in the cavalry in the form of Sunstream and the Palace brigade make me wonder. What's up her sleeve that she's so confident she's not heading to her death?

Me too. I think her decision to sacrifice herself to capture as a way of buying the Wolfriders time to escape is in no small part due to the daze of Recognition. But you've got to love the double-entendre of "dying Ember."

Tavie

Each of these issues with these perfect moments in it feels like a beautifully wrapped gift from Wendy to us. Yes, she teases and leaves cliffhangers and we have to wait, but man, when it's this satisfying? I feel like Scouter in this scene.

gift

Thornbrake

Yngvar said: Leave it to Pike to make a chuckleworthy comment about his lifemate's death, though. Yes, you just know they will. :)

Totally. And yet, Pike's struggle to let Krim end her life was so heartbreaking. He knew he had to let her go, but even so he had to go and try to rescue her. Their last moments together were heart-wrenching--especially when he called her "Bright Blade."

Rob

destiny

Thornbrake

Ok, we should all just stop talking because @Rob said everything there can be said about this issue. LOL

Tavie

More praise for Sonny's coloring is due, too. I agree, Mender's glowing eyes are the standout moment here - and his glowing eyes/hands in the panel right below. Masterful. And, as usual, in general, I'm so impressed by the subtlety of the night hues.

The reds and rusts in the last panel, too. Such emotion there.

Tavie

Haha! Word. Rob sums it up perfectly, as usual.

Rob

Welcome to @Joellyn_Auklandus, who first penned this tale and must have been waiting nearly 15 years now to see it concluded!

Presumptive datapoint: that massive splash of blood on the cover is the Djun's prunes!

Thornbrake

Tavie said: More praise for Sonny's coloring is due, too. I agree, Mender's glowing eyes are the standout moment here - and his glowing eyes/hands in the panel right below. Masterful. And, as usual, in general, I'm so impressed by the subtlety of the night hues.

Indeed! Speaking of which, Mender is kind of terrifying. It really took Sonny's creepy, expert coloring in that scene were he wipes out Lodok and his personal guard to make me realize it.

Mender might not be quite as powerful as Leetah, but with the Palace's influence he's become no slouch in the magic department. Yet, he clearly has much looser scruples when it comes to how he uses those powers that she does, and doesn't blink and eye at decimating enemies with his touch, as evidenced by his totally nonchalant "Just finishing up" comment.

He really is the "demon" that the humans fear. How this is going to be played out will be really interesting to see. I can't help but feel that Ember's "You don't know Mender" comment to Angrif is some kind of foreshadowing.

Joellyn_Auklandus

@Rob: Yes, this whole storyline is especially satisfying to me. I loved creating Teir, Lehrigen, Angrif, Khorbasi. But to get to see how Wendy and Richard take them on? I feel like Oswald (da Grate), my Maine Coon, when he's found out where Momcat stashes the 'Nip AND the treats!!

Mkal

@Joellyn_Auklandus You are right, that is Suyi, but I have a feeling that Suyi is not a dog. He (or she?) is far too large to be a dog. I would not be one bit surprised if it does not become part of the wolfpack.

He seems very excited to see an elf.

Screen shot 2014-03-26 at 12.08.06 PM

Just as the wolf that became Timmain reacted to Petaling...

Screen shot 2014-03-26 at 12.09.47 PM

AnnieC

I was a tad bit disappointed this time.
First of all... 22 pages are really not enough. Then... I was expecting everything that happened (er, except for Krim's death which bothered me a lot because really... I don't really see its sense >.<'' and I am totally off for killing characters randomly), and It's not exactly lovely to read something and finding out that you predicted the exact plot after all. I would have loved to see something... that I wasn't expecting to see.
I hope next issue will be more satisfying >.<'

Tavie

Thornbrake said: I can't help but feel that Ember's "You don't know Mender" comment to Angrif is some kind of foreshadowing.

Oh, totally. Mender has ALWAYS been terrifying, almost from the beginning with his crazed Leetah-and-Cutter fandom/worship... and, like you said, bloodthirst and distinctly different scruples.

I would not want to be on his bad side.

Thornbrake

Mkal said: You are right, that is Suyi, but I have a feeling that Suyi is not a dog. He (or she?) is far too large to be a dog. I would not be one bit surprised if it does not become part of the wolfpack.

Well technically dogs and wolves are the exact same species. Dogs are just the version of wolves that humans have bred for many generations to be able to live with people -- the definition of "tame." Many breeds retain their wolfy appearance and behavior though, and Shuyi seems to be one of them. He/she certainly looks more wolfish than Morri did.

My question is why does Shuyi have four toes like real-life canids when Wendy has consistently drawn her wolves with only three? Brandon McKinney first drew Shuyi with four toes so maybe Wendy was just going with it. Or is there something more to it?

Mkal

@AnnieC but as we have been told, nothing happens randomly.

**Going back...It isn't...Just to the Palace...**

There is something more here.

What if the souls can actually go back to the homeworld?

Mysterious-er and misterious-er...

Thornbrake

Mkal said: What if the souls can actually go back to the homeworld?

Hmmmmmm! Now THERE's an interesting theory.

Thornbrake

AnnieC said: I would have loved to see something... that I wasn't expecting to see.

What about Krim's revelation that dead elves do more than "going back" to the Palace? Mender's total nonchalance at blasting humans was a bit of a shock to me too, and Ember's "you don't know Mender" comment and Sonny's creepy coloring of him hints that there are going to be implications (or consequences of this). What about learning that Ember is so serious about keeping to the Way that she's told Sunstream not to come to her rescue? That's a big revelation. What about learning Ember's soulname?

Sure, most of us expected that Krim would die and that Ember and Teir were going to Recognize -- but it's the HOW of it, and the expert storytelling and art that are the delicious part of it. I mean, we all expected and predicted that the elves would win the war with the trolls and reach the Palace in the Original Quest too, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment when I read it.

Tam

I'm probably gonna repeat a lot of what was already said. :D

That death scene. < 3 Oh man. I'm so glad Pike at least got to be with her. And he cries, but smiles, and she's obviously very satisfied with her death, and she dedicates her sword to Sust, and it's perfect and a sweet moment...and then she reveals that there's MORE to go-back to.

WHAT.

And then Lehrigen crawls in, and that is ALSO perfect, and hilarious, and everything Tavie said about it.

And then Ember and Teir Recognize.

WHAT.

Come on, Recognition, they're IN BATTLE, could you wait a hot second? My favorite part about it was Mender getting all mad about it and telling them to wake up. *grins* I think Ember's soul name fits her pretty damn well, but there's a player in my holt (Oakleaf) who plays a male named Zeel, so I kind of died of amusement.

And we're back in the holt, and you get to see this bittersweet moment between Pike and Sust. Sust is SO PROUD to have his mother's sword, and Pike is absolutely right, of COURSE Krim and Skot are arguing about who had the more glorious death. And then he mentions the "more than the Palace" thing again, and I am so excited to find out more about that!

And now, Mender epitomizes the demon that humans are afraid of. Oh. It was glorious. :D I loved him in all that blue night shading, and those yellow, glowing eyes. <3 YESSSSSS. And he looks so happy over Lodok's body... *evil laughter*

And then...Ember hands herself over to the Djun.

WHAT.

Baffled. I guess they needed more than just a distraction, to give Khorbasi the time to get the orphans, and for them to escape...not as nimble in trees as elves. But I'm still like...what's Ember planning here? What's she trying to find out? Though I'm not really sure she's planning ANYTHING...that's the downside of zeal, stubborn determination.

Then Teir gets more dramatic again, but I feel like it's a little more justified in this case, when in Issue #1, it was just annoying. ;) Again, Mender becomes the voice of reason, and Scouter grows a heart. I think Mender healing that burned child got me more than anything, initially. Because I expected everything else. So sweet, especially after Demon!Mender.

And then it ends perfectly, with the Cutter/Leetah/Skywise/Sunstream cameo, and Krim and Lehrigen dead under the cart. Shuyi laying there made me want to rip my heart out. Poor boy.

So yeah. Sorry for the livestream reactions. This issue was everything I wanted, leaps and bounds better than Issue #1. :D And now, the 63-day wait for Issue #3.

Mkal

@Thornbrake: DING DING DING.
I did some digging and came across this fro SaBM...

Screen shot 2014-03-26 at 12.38.13 PM

It would appear that the canids of Abode have three toes. Remenber when the new elves were being born after Threetoe? Rahnee would inspect the newborn. Would they be "hunt" or not? Would they have three toes or four?

If three toes meant the elves were more wolf than elf, what would four toes on Suyi mean?

Mkal

In regards to Mender...

Screen shot 2014-03-26 at 12.45.20 PM

He is the antithesis of his gentle parents, and even more.

He is a Wolfrider with the power to fulfill Two-Spear's wish.

This should be very interesting....

Thornbrake

Tam said: Scouter grows a heart.

I think's probably like "Thank the High Ones she didn't ask ME to lead - too much pressure. Been there, done that."

MrsGrizzley

Okay... I don't avoid spoilers and I haven't read the comic... but maybe Krim's comment about "going back" meaning more than just to the Palace is a statement about "going back" to their families?

After all, she's with Skot now, with Cheipar.

Just sayin

Thornbrake

MrsGrizzley said: maybe Krim's comment about "going back" meaning more than just to the Palace is a statement about "going back" to their families?

Could be. But I feel like there's more to it than that. From a plot point of view, I think delivering this information is why the Pinis chose to kill Krim. I mean, we've seen plenty of Go-Backs on kamikaze missions in battle, so this adds nothing new to the story. That little insight from dying Krim seems to justify the decision, which to me would hint at a greater significance. But who knows?

Tam

@MrsGrizzley I would normally agree, but since she was vague and didn't mention Skot or Cheipar, and since Pike mentioned it again, I'm guessing it's a little bigger than that. I mean, I know Wendy's all for red herrings, but this one...just doesn't strike me as one.

AnnieC

@Mkal I'll be glad to be wrong :D right now, I don't see the need to kill Krim too. But it's just an impression that I have now. Maybe I'll get to see the sense in the next issues.

@Thornbrake:
Well, those you quote are interesting nuances, but it to me they don't change the fact that the only thing that happened is something I was totally expecting and hence I was pretty... bored, you know. Nothing unexpected, nothing.. nothing. A lil bit too much a flat reading for me. Of course there are interesting nuances. Of course there are interesting hints of character developement. Unfortunately, that doesn't make up for what is lacking (more events and unexpected). I am still hopeful next number will make it up for this one :)

And there is a big difference from the finale of OQ and this. Of course we all knew that there would be a happy ending. YET, I was NEVER, NEVER able to tell exactly "Okay, in this issue these facts are gonna happen", naming them precisely to find out that I was right. It was a surprise at every turning of page. Here... the fact that everything I expected to happen did happen annoyed me. Where's the surprise? :P One thing is being able to predict how a certain arch is gonna end, another thing is being able to predict every single event that's gonna happen (who dies, who recognizes, what happens here and there and there).

ChristinaRaibert

... woah.

Second what everyone's been saying about Mender - nothing we didn't know from before, but I don't recall ever seeing him quite so cold-blooded in a fight. Even in Shards, he let his temper fly away with him. But now? The eerie calm, the ultra-fast reflexes, together with that utter disregard for his opponents, because he knows he's ultimately superior. If Angrif had paid more attention to what went around him (am I the only one who found the "a small heart - let's shrink it smaller" line disturbingly similar to something Winnowill may have said?), he'd be more wary of wanting Mender around - Ember or no Ember. But that's the thing about Angrif - he doesn't second-guess, he thinks everything will work out his way. And I have the feeling this reasoning will ultimately bring him down as it did his father's.

Also... his younger's son expression when Angrif adresses Ember makes me wonder if there might not be another Gifa in the Djun's heritage? Maybe he's just afraid he'll be killed as easily as his brother, but either way, now that thing have turned deadly serious, he doesn't seem all that eager to play by his father's rules any more. I think that one might reserve some surprises down the road (not entirely out of the blue when you consider Angrif killed his father and sister).

Krim and Lehrigen's last moments - awww! I really feel bad for Shuy, though. It's not very clear from the panel... was he injured and laid down to die with his master? Or is he just mourning Lehrigen and might cross paths with the Wolfrider again - like Warfrost?

Teir is so totally out of his element having to lead the tribe. Good thing Scouter seems to be backing him up. He'll need all possible support from the elders of his tribe, especially as the distance between him and Ember grows. Will they still be able to send to each other through the bond of Recognition, like Sunstream and Brill did - or was that only due to Sunstream's phenomenal sending range? If even that tenuous contact with Ember breaks - I can't really imagine how much Teir will resist before he ultimately breaks down. From the look on his face when he leads the tribe away, you can pretty much say he's wholly, completely at a loss.

Going back...? A hint? A red herring? Hmmm... *ponders ponders*

I'm really curious to see where it goes with next issue - and can't wait to see the cover for #4. Yep, I'm a greedy gut, right? All in all though, I liked this issue. #1 was pretty much a recap, but now the story is really moving along and although the pace is not that fast yet, we know it'll be a long tale to spin, so I'm content to sit and wait.

Even though I'm dying to see the WaveDancers again and it doesn't seem like we will... not in next ish at least... #4 maybe? Wendy! I need my WaveDancers fix!

Heather

Tavie said: It was a good death and I love, love, LOVED how her last moment with Lehrigan - it was so true to her character, full of humor. They died together, laughing, but also knowing that not only did Krim die in glorious battle, but Kahvi died well, too. I think this is the best "ending" we could hope for for Krim.

What I also loved is her moment, sliding and expressing her joy in being small. I don't know how many times I have uttered her exact words and they are true, so many advantages to be small!

Thornbrake said: But you've got to love the double-entendre of "dying Ember."

Yes! I loved that moment! It was so brief to see all of them, but that one panel spoke volumes!

Tam

@AnnieC Well, in OQ, the recognitions weren't so HEAVILY FORESHADOWED, nor were the deaths. Everyone knew about the major points...everyone knew Krim would die. Everyone knew Ember and Teir would recognize. Because they bashed it into our skulls first. ;)

It might read better as a collection, though.

AnnieC

@Tam
Maybe :P

Heather

Thornbrake said: Hmmmmmm! Now THERE's an interesting theory.

I was discussing this with @Rob yesterday at lunch as well. I think the souls are going back to the home world and that may be why there is life coming back into the Home Star. But I don't think it's a good thing. It may actually be something more sinister.
We know the Palace is made of the Home Star, and it is "living" and changing the elves. Perhaps the reason the planet was dying is because the High Ones were no longer dying on the Home Star and the planet actually needed their souls for a life source.
Yes, the idea is out there, but I just don't think this is going to be sunshine and preservers.

Tavie

Heather said: What I also loved is her moment, sliding and expressing her joy in being small. I don't know how many times I have uttered her exact words and they are true, so many advantages to be small!

As a large person, you don't have to tell ME there are advantages to being small. ;)

I loved that too. Small, quick, sharp - an elf in battle is nothing to be cocky about.

Tavie

Heather said: Perhaps the reason the planet was dying is because the High Ones were no longer dying on the Home Star and the planet actually needed their souls for a life source.
Yes, the idea is out there, but I just don't think this is going to be sunshine and preservers.

Well, THAT is very interesting.

If that's the case, then wouldn't the introduction of mortal Wolfriders to the Home Star be a good thing?

Although, how does that work - where you have 80% of the star's inhabitants immortal and just this one little population of elves who will eventually die? Hrrrrm.

Heather

@Tavie but that's the thing, maybe the Wolfriders aren't what the planet wants. Being mortal means they are the ones that would actually survive.

Embala

Thornbrake said: Ok, we should all just stop talking because @Rob said everything there can be said about this issue. LOL
Stops reading thread. Don't try to add another comment. All is said. XD

*wonders whether bother to fetch it next week .. already knows everything now, right?* XD

Heather

I was just wondering what the ramifications of this denied recognition are going to be. Obviously they are both weak and not thinking clearly, but what else?
I remember reading that the elves don't die as a result, but we do know that it causes serious problems. What happens though if one of them dies before it can be fulfilled? At this point, I worry for both of their safety.

Tam

If one of them dies, the other continues to be seriously ill for awhile, but they will eventually recover.

Don't ask where I got that, cuz I can't remember. XD Probably some interview in the Gatherum.

Heather

That does sound familiar!
Man, so much is going on in this issue!

Rae_treeshaper

@Heather Yep wow what a way to go, I think we'll be having this all year... it gets me moving each time I read the issues. ANDDD.... im even quoted the letter I posted is in elfquotes woohooo! x BUT Krim! Definatly a way to go...

Rob

I've been wondering if this is going to be the first unfulfilled recognition. I don't think EQ's ever dealt with the consequences of that.

Rob

Congrats on the letter, @Rae_treeshaper!

Mkal

@Heather GOOD ONE. The homeworld was taking the life from the magic-users. OOOOOOoooo..!

Tam

@Rob I will be SUPER STOKED if this recognition goes unfulfilled. /evil

SweetLeetah31

Omg!!! When Krim went for his bits I gasped out loud and my jaw dropped....frakking awesome! The one scene when pike and Sust hugged oh man that got me.
The illustration and the way the emotions just jump off the page gets me everytime. I'll be re reading it tonight and will take it in slower....I gobbled it up as soon as I opened it because I was that excited

Heather

@sweetleetah31 First off, awesome avatar. That cosplay is killer! And I know what you mean, I gobbled it down like I was starving. Need to go back and savor!

@rae_treeshaper What a way to go indeed. And on her terms. I have such sadness and joy in her death. And congrats on your letter!

@mkal I can't wait to see how it plays out. I know I can be totally off base but man! If it's something like that!!

Tavie

I've read it twice today. I'll probably read it six more times when my paper copy arrives.

JRoseberry

Crying drunk in the bathtub....Rob, you kill me...LOL How much does Pike look like Rob or vice versa in one panel. Am I the only one disquieted by Menders ability to use his power to kill the humans, yet he shows such gentleness with the burned child. LOVE this issue.

JRoseberry

Pretty sure they are going to wish they had died if it goes on too long.@Heather

MrsGrizzley

I wrote a fanfic story once about the consequences of unfulfilled Recognition... it's the tale of my current great OC Elf, Sunspark.

Yeah, the official position is that it doesn't kill, they're just VERY sick for a while. Eventually they WILL get better, physically at least. The emotional fallout is a very different story.

Heather

JRoseberry said: Am I the only one disquieted by Menders ability to use his power to kill the humans, yet he shows such gentleness with the burned child. LOVE this issue

That is such a good point. I hadn't really thought of it that way before. But that's the interesting thing about his character, so fierce and so gentle from one moment to the next.

And I also agree that if it goes on too long they will wish they were dead! I know Mender can use his healing powers to ease some of Teir's pain, but I don't think he would let Mender do that.

Mkal

@JRoseberry I have the same concerns about Mender. He seems to teetering on the edge between elf and wolf. Had Two-Spear had his powers while he was chief...?

Who knows what would have happened.

KenHollie

Wow! Krim just pulled a "John Wayne Bobbit" on Angrif! And he still wants to capture Mender so he can heal him!! He's nuts (pun intended)! I don't think Mender would put his hands anywhere near that tacky area! Ew!

Heather

KenHollie said: Wow! Krim just pulled a "John Wayne Bobbit" on Angrif!

That Krim, she's got balls, I tell 'ya!

KenHollie

@Heather Pun intended, right? :-)

JRoseberry

I only caught the blow on the second read, all I can say is ouch.

Heather

KenHollie said: @Heather Pun intended, right? :-)

PUPPY_pointing

Joellyn_Auklandus

I really like the Scouter/Teir team. Scouter as second makes so much sense -- he's been through Recognition, he's led the tribe before (albeit in less than ideal circumstances), and he's a very solid character. There's a little feel of Treestump in there as wiser elder (though we don 't know how old Teir is, it's clear that Scouter has him beaten by a few centuries). How do folks feel he's going to mentor Teir?

Mkal

@Heather Krim's got balls....and Angrif doesn't. LOL!

lunakat

For the first time, I really like Mender.

SweetLeetah31

@Heather thank you! I wanted to bring that pic when I was on Comic Book Men but they wouldn't let me gol!

I think Krim's move is the most epic I've seen in the history of EQ hahahahaha!

elfeneyes

You'll recall, that Skywise told Snakeskin in The Discovery, to "call their loved ones" OUT of the Palace...perhaps, some spirits don't chose to reside within one domain but return to the magical wellspring from which the Palace flows...just a thought hehe

Heather

SweetLeetah31 said: I wanted to bring that pic when I was on Comic Book Men but they wouldn't let me gol!

I think Krim's move is the most epic I've seen in the history of EQ hahahahaha!

I so wish they would have let you bring it! That would have been awesome!

Epic is the perfect word for it! The slide, the smile, the strike! Oy vey!

lunakat

I never really did like Krim or Mender much before- but in this issue, I liked the heck out of them both. Wendy really communicated, mostly in the expressions, what it was Pike loved about Krim. She was beautiful in the end. And Mender? So effective. Tier, on the other hand, is really starting to irk me. He is... arg. A big, emotional, mushy lump of neediness. Does he have to be so weak for Ember to be strong?

As far as the palace is concerned- I think you guys were right. The elf spirits probably are going back to the home-world. But... this bothers me too a little bit. Why wouldn't the dead spirits of the elves that we've seen interact with the living have already communicated this? Why wouldn't Timmain have mentioned it? Why wouldn't Skywise know? Does he know and is he just not telling Cutter? Weird.

JRoseberry

Something new I noticed this morning. The look on Rathols face when he hears that he will be the next one to lead the men after the elves. It will be interesting to find out if he follows order or has a change of heart.

Mkal

@JRoseberry Being the youngest of the Djunn's sons, there is a look about him that tells me that he will defy his father's intentions, too. His whole appearance gives the impression that he is not a fighter.

RichardPini

Not directly spoilers-related, but at the signing last night, when we asked "How many of you have read this issue?" only about a quarter of the attendees raised their hands, so we very firmly enforced the one-week rule during the Q&A part of the signing. It was fun watching those who had seen the episode, hopping about like they really had to go to the bathroom, wishing they could ask those questions...Dark Horse signing pano

Heather

@JRoseberry and @Mkal I am wondering the same type of thing. Glad I wasn't alone picking up on that.

@RichardPini I love this picture! So glad you both had a wonderful time!

Mkal

@RichardPini I would have been one of those 'hoppers"

Mkal

@Thornbrake In regards to the infamous "toe debate", I came across this:

Screen shot 2014-03-27 at 12.16.58 PM

Heather

Joellyn_Auklandus said: I really like the Scouter/Teir team. Scouter as second makes so much sense -- he's been through Recognition, he's led the tribe before (albeit in less than ideal circumstances), and he's a very solid character. There's a little feel of Treestump in there as wiser elder (though we don 't know how old Teir is, it's clear that Scouter has him beaten by a few centuries). How do folks feel he's going to mentor Teir?

Not only has he been through recognition himself, but he's been through it both good and bad. He dealt with Dewshine's recognition so well.
I am wondering a bit on how is going to do. We obviously didn't get to see his growth and change as much over the years, but I am sure that what has gone in the past has been forgotten. I am hoping he is able to be firm hand with Teir, but at the same time help him deal with the obvious struggles of recognition denied. Making sure Teir keeps a clear head isn't going to be the easiest task.

Skyfall

Like usual, I fell behind. I can't find the print versions here, so I had to get them on my iPad. This afternoon I finally caught back up. (I had to re-read the Special issue again so I made sure I didn't forget something, which I completely would have if I hadn't.)

I have to say that I'm shocked and surprised, and at the same time, totally not. Nice to see "The Way" at work again. I wouldn't expect any less from Wendy and Richard. Excellent stuff, guys!

Short and kinda cryptic, but then most everything else has been said by everyone already too, so... :)

stargazer

I must admit, I was disappointed that Ember and Teir recognised. We all knew it was coming, but I was hoping it would be a red herring and she would recognise someone else. I think they are a bad match and Teir is just a drag on Ember. He's whiny and annoying and needy. I know the strong/gentle combination can work well, like with Nightfall and Redlance...but the Ember/Teir dynamic comes across as codependent and unhealthy rather than 'differences make good sparks.' Unfortunately, the result of all this is that the ensuing drama of them being torn apart before they can fulfil recognitions needs leaves me cold.

Mender was awesome in this issue though. I never found him interesting before, but he's shown such a different (and slightly disturbing) side to his character. Now if Ember had recognised him, I'd be all over it!

Thornbrake

Skyfall said: I can't find the print versions here, so I had to get them on my iPad. This afternoon I finally caught back up. (I had to re-read the Special issue again so I made sure I didn't forget something, which I completely would have if I hadn't.)

This is another reason why I like having the issues digitally. I can take them all with me wherever I go, without having to lug, delicate individual comics with me. I can always go back to older issues.

Thornbrake

stargazer said: Teir is just a drag on Ember. He's whiny and annoying and needy. I know the strong/gentle combination can work well, like with Nightfall and Redlance...but the Ember/Teir dynamic comes across as codependent and unhealthy rather than 'differences make good sparks.'

I think this is going to be Teir's character development journey over the course of the Final Quest. I think his current neediness is clearly the result of being abandoned in his youth and having to live alone for so long after his father died. Teir is on a journey just like every other character, and I'm sure he'll have some positive development before the end.

Joellyn_Auklandus

@Thornbrake With regard to Stargazer's comment (not sure how I didn't get connected to her comment in your comment, sorry!) Wendy doesn't write "mushy" characters. If people don't like Teir now, I'd be willing to bet that there is going to be a HUGE growth spurt here. C'mon people -- do you really think Wendy would partner Ember with someone who wasn't up to snuff? Who wouldn't be able to match her? Yeah, yeah, I'm the kid's mom, but I am not writing this one -- The Boss is. So I'm watching with as much interest as all of you are. And I think that Teir is going to get his Big Elf Pants in a New York minute...

Thornbrake

Joellyn_Auklandus said: And I think that Teir is going to get his Big Elf Pants in a New York minute...

I literally just LOLd! That's what I'm thinking too!

NEXT PAGE