ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Share your suggestions for the forums!

Rob

So, having explained why it's necessary to clean the slate on suggestions, here's a new thread ^‿^ Ask for something, and you might just get it! Or an answer why not. Questions are welcome!

What do you want to see in your ideal EQ forum? More game features? Badges? Achievements? Easier integration with the stories? Bigger type, smaller type? Secrets to discover?

Tavie

Secrets! Secrets! I want secrets!

Nibblet

I liked it when Richard split the Off Topics and Circle Of Life. Can that be a thing again? It was so much easier to navigate through that section, which is why he did it I suppose

Thornbrake

Great idea! Thanks for giving so much opportunity for input. I've got a few suggestions:

--Can we get the same WYSWYG for comments on the posts to the front page as we do for posts in the forum?

--Consistency across mobile and web platforms for comments would be nice too. For example, you can't highlight and quote on mobile, and at the bottom the button that returns you to discussions isn't there. The thread menu on the right side is missing as well, making it harder to navigate threads.

--Can we move Off Topic threads out of the "Welcome to the Howl" thread listing on main forum page? They are really distracting from actual Elfquest-related threads and I don't think they should be given the same weight. This is the Elfquest forum, after all. The Off Topic category should stay in the main category menu on the right so it'll be easy to get to for those who enjoy those threads.

Heather

For myself, I find it isn't anyone's business if I am online in the forums or not. I would like to see the 'tribe' list showing who is on, or the last time they were on, gone. Or for those who don't mind having that information out there, have the option. Maybe something similar to what is on Facebook, where you can change your settings in your profile so that when you sign in people can't see that you have. That way those who want to be seen can be and those who don't want to, have the choice.

Nibblet

I agree with Thornbrake on the off topics thing, actually. But why stop there? I personally don't want to be reading a discussion about a Z list celebrity either, so for me, threads about characters in the background of one tiny cell aren't interesting at all. Maybe splitting the Welcome feed to just actual EQ character related stuff and everything else like fan art, games, holts, off topics and such like into a different feed would be an idea? @Heather I agree too. At least here Joe Public can't see where you're from too.

Leanan

I'd also prefer it not to be displayed whether I am online, or at least a choice to opt out such a display.

Also, I'd like there to be more post formatting options. How about font colors? Different font sizes?

One thing I miss from the old site are signatures. But I am not sure they would fit the style of this site, what do others think on this?

StarShine

I'd love, Badges, Achievements, & Secrets!

Nightsea

Could we have the ability to jump to the last page of a thread instead of starting always on the first post? In the Elfquest dollz thread, for example, there are over 200 pages of posts and while any newbies might like to read the first post, most of us want to skip to the "what's new" bits faster than having to scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 200+ page #. In the OLD forum (the last version before this incarnation) we had the
thread page option on TOP of the page also, and that would work for a solve.

Thanks for considering and keep up the hard work of forum revisions,
--Nightsea

Leanan

Oh, almost forgot! Smileys/emoticons! I know there are even some EQ ones.

Rob

Keep 'em coming.

Thornbrake

EQ emoticons would be kind of genius.

Leanan

Thornbrake said: EQ emoticons would be kind of genius.

Someone posted some of them recently. Now if I could only remember what topic that was in...

Leanan

Another suggestion just occured to me: could we have the page numbers on TOP of each page of a topic as well as on the bottom? I keep forgetting which way I should be scrolling.

Tam

I think if the right-side menu was seen on mobile, the text would be much too small for threads. One could zoom, of course...but a drop-down menu would be better, in my opinion.

I disagree about removing the Off-Topic section from Welcome to the Howl. WttH is supposed to list all the threads. It's the whole package. If you don't wanna see threads about background characters or stuff in the off-topic section, you can always edit your bookmark to direct you to the Elfquest section automatically. Though, maybe this is a good reason to have customizable front pages?

Page numbers at the top would be GREAT.

I personally don't care if people see that I'm online or not. But it would be nice to have the option. Proboards has the option to set an account to invisible; only moderators can see when they're online. Something similar would be cool.

I kind of miss friending people, but I also don't? I feel the same way about signatures. I think if we brought signatures back, I would prefer them to be...limited. One banner, no bigger than the length of the post box.

Leanan

Tam said: I disagree about removing the Off-Topic section from Welcome to the Howl. WttH is supposed to list all the threads. It's the whole package. If you don't wanna see threads about background characters or stuff in the off-topic section, you can always edit your bookmark to direct you to the Elfquest section automatically. Though, maybe this is a good reason to have customizable front pages?

I'm with Tam on this one.

Thornbrake

I think anything to do with Elfquest is appropriate for the Welcome to the Howl section (character threads, games, fan art/fic, etc). Anything that is flat out off topic -- dolls, name games, what am I feeling, etc.--to me is distracting from Elfquest and could be a turn off for new users who are visiting the forums to read and talk about EQ.

Nibblet

After reading this and clicking stuff for about 10 seconds, I change my opinion. I'm with Tam and Leanan on the off topics/holts/games/everything that doesn't discuss a character threads. Maybe the solution could be to make the Elfquest section the default one to open for new people who may or may not like to talk about *just* Elfquest and not be sociable too. But like Thornbrake said somewhere else, you can't please everyone all the time.

Rob

Pretty much anything should be allowed in off-topic, IMO. I can imagine hiding off-topic threads from the homepage as a result, but everything else is ostensibly EQ related in some way. So it'd be the only one excluded. But much better to give people the option to show/hide categories.

Likewise with the "recently visited" list. I've had a couple PMs and emails from people who don't want to appear on it. I think people are becoming more conscious of online privacy. So if it stays, we need to give people the option to be invisible.

Rob

(Will catch up to other suggestions soon!)

PCoquelin

Sending stars above our avatars (superimposed, transparency feature), when we're present..
..and animated, vibrant ones when posting?
Could they even be personalized (choice for colours and effects)?

That seems rather simple, technically..
..but definitely Elfquest-ish, to me!

Tam

You can already make it so the Elfquest section is what you see when you come to the site. Just change your bookmark. ;)

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/categories/elfquest

PCoquelin

Elfquest-related decorum, around? This place looks far too blank and empty, to me..

PCoquelin

An ideal Elfquest forum would look like the Father Tree, in my eyes, with forums placed like branches, you know..

PCoquelin

Why not simple Flash EQ-related games? That WE, the fans would discuss about BEFORE they get realized, with a possible developper, and then enjoy together?
Games that WE would also enjoy contributing to and improve, after some collective sharing of related ideas, comments, remarks, questions, ideas..?

Wouldn't this simple idea be worthy of a dedicated branch, er.. thread, in here?

PCoquelin

Why not also offer a structured, centralized and simple gathering of EQ-related graphic resources ?
Like:
. Best scans
. Best would-be icons / avatars
. Best elements for decorum (personalizing one's profile page or posts)

Tam

@PCoquelin: I had a similar thought about decor. Like...when you scroll down in a thread, it's just white and text and white and text and a few avatars. It would be cool if there was like...something in the side panel on the right, like classic Wendy sketches, character studies, something like that.

Tuval

I would love to see character's childhoods. We've seen Rayek's, Leetah's, and of course Sunstream and Ember's,Cutter's, and Dart's. I'm hungry for back stories of Strongbow, Redlance, Clearbrook, you know, how did they earn their adult names? For that matter, what were their cub names? Just a thought!

PCoquelin

Yes! Extended bios, with some specific scenes..

Tam

Heh, extended bios containing things not seen in the comics may be a little beyond @Rob and co.'s ability at this point. ;) But I would like to see continued improvement on the Bios...they can be a little difficult to navigate. It would be nice to have a master list of categories (Wolfriders, High Ones, Trolls, etc.) on the right so that one would be able to switch between those a little more easily.

PCoquelin

Even if the sound of the preserver's wings was awful, in the previous official site, why not get some simple, short and well-chosen EQ-related sounds for various actions, in here?

This place here not only looks empty, but it also sounds terribly silent..

Tam

For sounds, we would also need the ability to turn them off, just to point out.

I would also like to have the rest of the links (like, to the full comics, to Who's Who, etc.) in the top right, where the other links are (like to the Tribe, Inbox, etc.), maybe in smaller text below the forum-related links? But that also might be too cluttered. Hmm.

Just remembered Nightfall's Game of Taal, posted online years and years ago...something like that could work for a game, kind of...give people more insight into how elven children play and learn. The actual game doesn't work anymore, but the instructions are there.

Tavie

Please no sounds or flash games

PCoquelin

Links, yes! At the very least the link to the on-line collection!

Here

PCoquelin

Rob said: Badges?

Whazzat?

Thornbrake

Tavie said: Please no sounds or flash games

I second that!

Heather

Tavie said: Please no sounds or flash games

I third that. Not only do they slow down systems, work poorly on phones (if at all), but I get enough noise during my day, I don't need my websites doing it.

Thornbrake

Tam said: I would also like to have the rest of the links (like, to the full comics, to Who's Who, etc.) in the top right,

You can also get to that stuff by clicking the Elfquest banner at the top of the page.

lunakat

Please don't take it badly... but I hate the bold font. It clashes. I'm not great with font, but it looks like the regular message font is Gill Sans? That's nice. But what is the bold font used for our names? It's kinda driving me nuts. Especially since it looks like all the other bolded elements are also Gill Sans... or at least similar to the message font. Can we make it fully consistent? Am I being a jerk?

lunakat

http://bonfx.com/fonts-that-work-with-gill-sans/

I am making a big presumption here, because I don't even know for sure that this is the font you used... (yes, I'm that bad with recognizing font)

Tam

@Thornbrake: I know, it would just be nice to eliminate a couple steps. :) But I know too that it might be too cluttered. Just thinking out loud, here.

Rob

The body font is Open Sans, the headline font is Acme

RedheadEmber

Would it be possible to get an actual 'spoiler tag'?

That way we could simply put a tag around potential spoilers (in the threads that don't already have a pre-set spoiler warning) and those who haven't read the new stuff can simply not open it.

Nibblet

That's a good one, Red. That would be incredibly useful. I use that all the time on other forums for spoilers AND pictures, because some peoples comps can't handle large volumes of data. That way they can look at the picture if they want to or skip it and not have their system slowed down to dial-up speed.

lunakat

The open sans is fine then- but the acme isn't working... they don't go together well. I'm pretty font blind, and this is jumping out at me!

Thornbrake

One other thought about the mobile view: currently the column of newsy items on the right side of the homepage isn't visible on mobile. Is there any way to get to those items, or a way to make them appear on the homepage with the rest of the articles when viewing in mobile?

Tavie

I'm seconding and thirding all of the mobile change suggestions...

Nibblet

The newsy stuff is visible on mine. The only mobile issue I have is that the mark all read thing still logs me out. But to be honest, its not that big of a deal. I just don't click it.

RedheadEmber

I have another suggestion/wish

BRING BACK BØRGE!

Anyway, back to your more... serious... suggestions.

Laurel

Leanan said: Another suggestion just occured to me: could we have the page numbers on TOP of each page of a topic as well as on the bottom? I keep forgetting which way I should be scrolling.

This I would really like too.

Also, being able to decide whether the forum thread is read in ascending or descending order would be nice.

jeb

At the risk of exposing my own neuroses, I have to say that one of the things I miss from the incarnation of the forums I joined is the page views for each thread. And more critically, I think, was that fact that it used to count visits from people who weren't logged in.

It feels terrible to say this, I know it's just my own validation seeking ego, but I used to get a thrill from seeing those counts go up when I would post a story or picture and knowing that, even if they weren't posting comments or even logging on, they were visiting and looking. After the forum changed, it only showed those visits by people who had logged on. I feel like the participation of the lurkers counted for something before, and the place felt a lot quieter after that.

Of course, this might be something I'm alone in feeling, but maybe not.

RedheadEmber

Pronounciation guide.
A little speaker ikon next to the name which you can click to hear a recording of Wendy or Richard saying the name.

Nibblet

The old social page thing of the dead forum is still working. With a tiny bit of tweeking, it could function as a perfectly good chat room. That would be awesome and probably limit the dreaded off topic conversations

Heather

Nibblet said: That would be awesome and probably limit the dreaded off topic conversations

There is even an entire section for off topic threads, so not dreaded.

Rob

Nibblet said: That would be awesome and probably limit the dreaded off topic conversations

Yeah, what? Who said there was anything wrong with off-topic conversations? The off-topic forum category is right here.

Nibblet

I know where that is. It was only a suggestion on the suggestions thread made because it was a suggestion. Sheesh

Rob

Nah, I mean, why are off-topic conversations "dreaded?" Do you not like them? It looks like you're maybe suggesting we limit them. I don't think that would be very popular, is all.

Leanan

I think Nibblet was referring to a time when the admins (Richard Pini and Skyfall) asked us to limit the number of 'chat threads' in the Offtopicisms, and to avoid off-topic conversation in the Elfquest-related threads. I believe it was an issue of bandwidth cost, and of some member's annoyance with every topic turning into a chat party for certain regulars. Of whom I admit I was one.

Nibblet

Close, Leanan. I was referring to Thornbrakes hatred of anything Off Topic. I feel like we are being deterred from being interested in such things. This is MY personal opinion, no one elses.

Rob

Ah, so we have a few related issues here.

1. Off-topic stuff in the off-topic category
2. Off-topic comments elsewhere (i.e. in Elfquest stuff)
3. Chat threads, the use of forum threads as chat rooms

Can we approach them separately?

1. Surely Off-topic will always be OK in the off-topic category, it's what it's there for.
2. I don't think we need to try to avoid off-topic conversation in Elfquest-related threads anymore, because we can split and merge threads if ever a particular thread goes off the rails. It's much easier now to just let everyone talk about whatever they like, thanks to the shiny new forum software.
3. Chat-party threads. Folks seem to be having fun in them, right? But I agree it would be better in a real chat box, rather than using the forums as a chat system. I bet this is what Thornbrake doesn't like--he'd certainly be far from the only person to complain about chat threads.

Nibblet, do not be deterred from using the off-topic category. Fight for your right to party.

Thornbrake

Nibblet said: I was referring to Thornbrakes hatred of anything Off Topic.

Woah, that's a bit of an assumption and overstatement, @Nibblet. Most of the off-topic threads don't interest me, but as I've said, I know others enjoy them. I was simply suggesting that they not get same weight in the "Welcome to the Howl" section as the on-topic threads, just so that when folks come into the Forum, the first thing they see is conversation about Elfquest.

RichardPini

1. I've got zero problem with anything off-topic in the off-topic category. (Subject, of course, to the overarching rules we've all agreed to by being here.)
2. Same as #1, since as Rob says, we can prune and tweak threads to make them happy.
3. Regarding "chat-party threads" - I'm not a fan of them, but I'm OK letting them exist - perhaps in a separate category all their own, to keep discussion threads for the discussants, and chat threads for the chatterboxes. As for an actual chat box, memory tells me at least under the old software, it was a giant pain in the arse as well as a giant security hole. Rob will tell me whether such a thing is more easily and safely done nowadays, but if there's even a whiff of concern about security to the web site, live chat ain't happening.

RedheadEmber

What about discussant chatterboxes?

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: What about discussant chatterboxes?

"To everything there is a season." - Ecclesiastes
"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." - Isaac Newton

Zinegirl

I would be useful if my bookmarked discussions show if they contain new posts or not. (Like it was previously I guess.)

Trollbabe

Anyone else having trouble accessing private messages sent after the forum change?

Rob

PMs should be in your inbox: http://www.elfquest.com/forums/messages/all

And you can send them by going to someone's profile and clicking the "send them a message" link.

If anyone's looking for old PMs, though, they weren't imported to the new forums. This was basically for security and privacy reasons: I wanted to make sure there was no chance of the new forum software exposing them inadvertently or even just handling them in an unexpected way.

They're all in the old database, though, which is all backed up.

Edit: Is the problem that it's hard to click the messages/conversations in the inbox?

krwordgazer

It would be nice if clicking on a thread would take us to the most recent post, and not the first one. Then if we wanted to go backwards we could page back through. :)

RedheadEmber

In a a way it actually does so.
If you're logged in it goes to the first post which you haven't seen.

(At least that what it does for me)

Tam

For me as well, @RedheadEmber

RichardPini

krwordgazer said: It would be nice if clicking on a thread would take us to the most recent post, and not the first one. Then if we wanted to go backwards we could page back through.

I too get taken to the "most recent post I haven't seen" but I do find myself now and again browsing further and further back into threads to see what might be ripe for resuscitation. In such cases, when I haven't seen anything newer than years-old, it might be nice to get kicked to the most recent, whenever and whatever. But "most recent you haven't read" and "most recent, period" might be conflicting functions.

Tamarien ChangeStone

Art ? Where oh where has all the photo's and Art gone. I may be stating the obvious here: But ElfQuest IS also about art as well as story - Why doesn't the new format have an art Gallery ?

PCoquelin

Ah, yes.. a suggestion..

✧   What if..

.. Wendy redesigned the Avatar Maker ?   ✧

Tavie

I'd rather Wendy devote her time to Final Quest, if I had a vote... ;)

RichardPini

Tamarien"ChangeStone" said: Art ? Where oh where has all the photo's and Art gone.

We're aware of the hibernating galleries, and it's only a matter of time before we get all the old art transferred, as well as adding new ones.

Tamarien ChangeStone

@ ART Yay ! I really wondered if you could continue with a Gallery. I would have held no blame if you just could not have "done it all"; (since Wendy said you were monitoring over 4 sites) but I would have been sad about no art or photos.

In the meantime - may I suggest a Link to EQFA; just to hold us over for the wait ?

And will/can there be a permanent Link on the dashboard when the new site is done ? We need all the PR we can get to keep up interest in the Site.
. .

Rob

EQFA, and a bunch of other stuff, are linked from our links page -- that, and a lot else, needs to be more easily found from the forums!

http://www.elfquest.com/links

Trollbabe

I had at least five messages after the forum changeover, all of which are gone. None important, though.

PCoquelin

Alright.. Some suggestions :

. Have the "Mark all read" button WORK : now, it just sends me to the site's main page and marks nothing read

. Have the personal profile page exist again

. Bring back the "latest comments first " logic about threads

. Ask the fans here if they AGREE or not about some changes.. BEFORE they're inflicted

Please..

..BECAUSE you love the Scroll as much as we do?

Elwing

Wait, am I seeing new EQ smilies on the forum now? :> Are they really new or did I just never notice them before? Anyway, really cool, thanks! :) >:) :D :| :x :-O

RedheadEmber

The new Smiley are awesome! :)

Thornbrake

Question: What's the "Flag" number that appears under the poster's name on each message, next to the date/time? :-O

RichardPini

Elwing said: Are they really new or did I just never notice them before?

They are totally new as of yesterday! :D

RichardPini

Thornbrake said: Question: What's the "Flag" number that appears under the poster's name on each message, next to the date/time?

I suspect Rob may have a more thorough answer, but those are two separate "buttons" - the "Flag" is a link to flag the comment (if it contains inappropriate material), and the number is the member's IP address.

Rob

Yes, IP should only be visible to admins, too.

Tavie

Rob said: Yes, IP should only be visible to admins, too.

You admins need to stop snickering at how often I visit this site. I have a compulsive website cycle that I click through constantly to get me through the endless dull days. (I'm a very efficient worker.)

Heather

Tavie said: (I'm a very efficient worker.)

I can tell that by your twitter and Facebook accounts
>:)

Elwing

Well, the smilies are lovely, but there's already a thread for that. I flagged two spammers this morning- I assume that is what the "flag" function is for?

RichardPini

Elwing said: I flagged two spammers this morning- I assume that is what the "flag" function is for?

Certainly that, yes. Plus, it's a tool (hopefully not abused) to call attention to the (hopefully rare) inappropriate comment or post - in which case the admins make a (hopefully Solomonic) judgment call.

Tavie

Heather said: I can tell that by your twitter and Facebook accounts

Frequent social media usage helps me concentrate. O:-)

PCoquelin

And now, my dear thanks to Rob for fixing the "Mark all read" button, and for bringing back the "latest modified threads before" order.

Never fear...

...the waiting is all.

Diana

Recently, I subscribed to a topic. Ever since, I get notifications for every new post. I would like to request a minor change to this feature, to mimic how it is done in phpbb: I would like to receive only one e-mail notification, and no more until I've logged in and viewed the thread. After that, I'd like to receive a new notification again. That way, my inbox isn't flooded if this week I just don't have the time to sign in.

Rob

You can change your notification settings in your profile. I'll post instructions in a mo, and make sure there's a link to those options in every notification email

Rob

1. go to your profile (click your name in the top right)
2. click 'edit profile'
3. click 'notification preferences'
4. make your changes and save

Here's a bookmark for notification preferences:

http://www.elfquest.com/forums/profile/preferences/

Thornbrake

Tavie said: You admins need to stop snickering at how often I visit this site. I have a compulsive website cycle that I click through constantly to get me through the endless dull days. (I'm a very efficient worker.)

You are not alone!

Diana

@Rob, the feature I'm looking for isn't there...

Rob

@Diana, gotcha. The specific once-per-thread notification feature you want is available as an add-on. I'll test it and set it up asap.

Potoooooooo111

I am new here and I have several questions about the world of Elfquest that I want to ask. I can't see to find the ink for starting a new discussion. Can some kind soul please tell me how to start a new thread.

Tam

From the main forum page, you should see the list of Categories on the right. Above that should be a box that says "New Discussion." Click that. :)

Tavie

Hey there,

Is there a way (I may be missing it) to discard a draft?

Let's say I start writing a post and then decide halfway through that it's (a) dumb or (b) doesn't add to the conversation, and I change my mind about posting it.

Every time I visit that thread in the future, I The Beginnings of My Dumb Draft sitting there in the "Leave a Comment" box in the bottom of the screen.

It's not a huge issue but is there a way to clear that draft out?

Embala

I simply save a dot in this case.

NEXT PAGE